What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When did bringing your dog inside the supermarket become a thing? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to bring a non-service dog inside the supermarket?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 95 88.8%

• Total voters
Toddlers by definition kill the mood of a fine dining experience. This is a universal truth. Your toddlers are no exception. I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this.
This doesn't stop at toddlers. It also includes adults that act like toddlers. I would much rather have a toddler/kid acting like an adult than vice versa.

I still don't understand how a kid behaving properly has any impact on a different table's dining experience. I completely understand an unruly kid for sure but that is not what I am talking about.

Toddlers by definition kill the mood of a fine dining experience. This is a universal truth. Your toddlers are no exception. I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this.
This doesn't stop at toddlers. It also includes adults that act like toddlers. I would much rather have a toddler/kid acting like an adult than vice versa.

I still don't understand how a kid behaving properly has any impact on a different table's dining experience. I completely understand an unruly kid for sure but that is not what I am talking about.

Your well-behaved toddler at a fine dining restaurant annoyed people at nearby tables. Whether or not you understand it is of no moment. Whether or not you care is also your call. We’re just letting you know.

P.S. I’m not trying to be rude or dickish. I’m just trying to be forthright. And I fully acknowledge my tendency to be hyper-aware of being considerate of others (perhaps overly so).

Last edited:
If there's no kids menu, keep your toddler at home. They aren't as well behaved or cute as you think they are. I guarantee your precious offspring is annoying somebody who is trying to have a nice night out.

Your well-behaved toddler at a fine dining restaurant annoyed people at nearby tables. Whether or not you understand it is of no moment. Whether or not you care is also your call. We’re just letting you know.

P.S. I’m not trying to be rude or dickish. I’m just trying to be forthright. And I fully acknowledge my tendency to be hyper-aware of being considerate of others (perhaps overly so).
I get it for sure. I guess I have never been bothered by well behaved kids in a restaurant that I have been in. I have seen a lot that haven't been well behaved and that is very annoying for sure. But that is a different circumstance.

I am just not in the habit of paying attention to other tables unless they do something that gets my attention. Just being kids does not get my attention. People/kids sitting and talking at their table as normal restaurant goers doesn't grab my attention or take away from my dining experience so I just don't understand this view.

i’ve always thought that restaurants should have sections for patrons with and without kids. and don’t even get me started on kids in pools. i don’t think i’ve ever seen a dog go poo in a pool.

Exactly. I raised two kids. I never get angry at parents who bring their kids on airplanes, or parents who are struggling with little kids at the grocery store, or church, or whatever. I was there. I get it. I'm very strongly pro-kid.

That said, sometimes adults want to be away from children. Not because they're doing anything naughty, but just because kids are vibe-killers if you're going for romance. There are lots of places for families. It's totally reasonable to reserve a few places for adults. This is the good kind of "diversity" -- providing different experiences to different types of people for different occasions at different points in their lives. Not everyplace has to have a kids menu.

i’ve always thought that restaurants should have sections for patrons with and without kids. and don’t even get me started on kids in pools.
Same with planes.

Even better, young kids shouldn’t fly at all - it’s cruel to them, and everyone forced to hear them screaming, because their ears hurt. At minimum, consider giving your kids prophylactic pain meds.

i’ve always thought that restaurants should have sections for patrons with and without kids. and don’t even get me started on kids in pools.
Same with planes.

Even better, young kids shouldn’t fly at all - it’s cruel to them, and everyone forced to hear them screaming, because their ears hurt. At minimum, consider giving your kids prophylactic pain meds.
Or just make sure they eat as you go up and as you land. My kid’s been flying regularly since she was 5 months old. You’d rather her sit next you than almost anyone else.

No. If you can afford a nice restaurant, you can afford a sitter.

We should go back to enforcing norms about certain spaces being reserved for adults. It's completely fine for us to say "I don't want to be around kids here -- I'll leave mine at home, and I expect that you'll do the same." Edit: This is the flip side of the "dog-friendly" restaurant. Restaurants that want to cater to people and their pets should feel free to do so without apology. Likewise, restaurants that want to cater to grown adults should be able to do that too.
If the kid is well behaved they will have no impact on your dining experience.
Sure they do. They're kids. They kill the mood.

There are lots of places that cater to families with kids. Stick to those and let us have our spaces too. (Actually I'm using the term "us" too broadly -- my wife and I cook for ourselves 99% of the time, so what do I care who takes who where.)

Oddly enough, this transpired last night. As a birthday gift, my dad likes to treat me to The Ringside, one of Portland's oldest and best steakhouses. For context, the steak I ordered was $83, servers wear bowties, light is dim, it's about as classy and elegant as you're going to get in Portland. Love it.

We arrive at 6:30, get taken to a table for two and I notice right away, we're going to be parked immediately to the left of a family of 5; mom, dad and three kids ranging of age I'm guessing from 7 to 12. There's about an arm's length between us, so very little in the way of privacy. I was slightly annoyed but also thought it was funny as this very situation was discussed in this thread so I treated it like a social experiment of sorts.

First off, I have 5 kids ranging in age from 20 to 7, so I'm certainly not anti-kid. But I wouldn't dream of bringing any of them to this establishment before they were at least 15/16 and of an age where I could 1) trust them not to be a dink and 2) old enough to appreciate a steak that costs more than my television set. That said, I'm also very used to minor and major annoyances of children as my little ones can be absolute terrors when they break down.

Anyhow, throughout our dinner, the only small bother was their youngest getting up and down several times to use the bathroom, whining about this or that or bugging his mom to use her phone/ipad whatever. I could tell some of the other diners around us were a touch annoyed as there were menacing glances thrown this table's way, but really, it wasn't like they were throwing food or shrieking. I mentioned it to my dad that it would have been nice to be seated elsewhere, but he just grinned and said they didn't bother him at all and thought they were fine.

Would I have rather a well-behaved dog next to us? Maybe, but I can't imagine a dog being docile and not begging with all that delicious meat around him/her. I have my dog with me right now in the office and he's asleep in his chair. But no WAY would he be well behaved with steak on the tables. He'd be pawing my lap, putting his head on my thigh, you name it.

I really don't have a point to any of this, just thought it was funny that I eat a fine restaurant MAYBE 2-3 times a year, would never consider bringing my kids with me until they are older and that we were talking about it just this week in here.

This has been GM for Youtube social experimentation

I've noticed over the past year or so that every time I go to the supermarket there is at least one dog inside. Yesterday morning I went out to get some supplies before the games and at the store there were about 5-6 dogs on a leash with their owners while the dog owner shopped. They were not service dogs, just your regular Fidos. The dogs were sniffing around like dogs do. I saw a store employee vigorously petting one of the dogs and later I saw that same employee working the checkout line. I saw one dog make nose contact and possible tongue contact with some products in the bread aisle. While I was checking out (not in the employee dog-petter line) I felt a snout pushing at my ankle. I glanced down to see a poodle sniffing away at my shoe laces while it's owner seemed oblivious to the dog's activities. Maybe because it was a Sunday morning were there so many in the store but when did this become an acceptable thing? I remember a time when a store employee would tell the dog owner upon store entrance that dogs were not allowed inside. Did policies change? Have people's attitude's toward animals in the market changed? I love dogs as much as the next guy but this trend of bringing your pet with you wherever you go is out of control. Can't the dog stay at home alone for a few minutes while you go out and pick up your Cheetos?

It's an emotional support pet. People can come up with whatever BS they want to bring in a pet. We had one customer who use to bring in her little dog with her mom constantly. Put the dog in the shopping cart but the last straw was when she put it on my cashier belt. I immediately called my supervisor and manager over. I excuse myself from the register to the customer and her mother and brought both to the side and told them what was going on. I told them I know we can't legally say the dog can't be in the store but we should be able to say something if it's on the belt and this wasn't the first incident with it as I had some other customers complain as well. Fortunately my manager talked to the women after I completed the transaction. They claimed he was emotional support. I've seen her with another guy in there around her age not sure if it's a brother, boyfriend etc. Either way after seeing them with the dog 2-3 more times haven't seen the dog since. I overheard them talking to another customer I guess a friend who asked where the dog was and they came up with some BS how we told them the dog wasn't allowed in there. It was obvious they were lying about it being an emotional support pet because if it was the dog would still be coming in. They just didn't like the fact despite the fact you can bring a service animal in the store it still needs to follow rules and be on a leash and not on top of a register.

Honestly as someone who works in the supermarket industry I'd prefer you bring you dog as they seem more behaved then the snot nosed brat running around knocking **** over, your kid pissing and pooping and throwing up on my floor and asking if someone will clean it up for them. The one lady who came through my line literally asked me this and I handed her the towels a mop and bucket and Told her you are. I'm not properly trained to deal with chemical waste. Fortunately a manager came over and helped clean it up. But yeah the dogs are more behaved then children.

Another time my seafood coworker said he had to kick a parents kids out of his seafood area behind the counter while mom was oblivious of what was going on.

I honestly could go on and on about customer poor behavior, hygiene etc at stores in general from my own experience and others.

Either way don't blame the business unless they have a no pet policy besides service animals with the right tags and all on them because like my company we're powerless. It goes against HIPPA laws.

Same with planes.

Or just make sure they eat as you go up and as you land. My kid’s been flying regularly since she was 5 months old. You’d rather her sit next you than almost anyone else.
That sounds like a decent trick to keep them equilibrating ear pressure.

What do you do if it’s a turbulent/rough landing? Not an ideal time to eat, but I guess nobody is relaxing too much in those circumstances regardless.

If there's no kids menu, keep your toddler at home. They aren't as well behaved or cute as you think they are. I guarantee your precious offspring is annoying somebody who is trying to have a nice night out.

Especially those with an ipad with some giant case on in with brightness turned up to 200. You know those kids are going to end up in rehab at 17.

Same with planes.

That sounds like a decent trick to keep them equilibrating ear pressure.

What do you do if it’s a turbulent/rough landing? Not an ideal time to eat, but I guess nobody is relaxing too much in those circumstances regardless.
Kids will always take a little piece of candy or whatever. Little kids will take a bottle anytime. And if you’re relaxed regardless of the situation, they are as well.

Honestly as someone who works in the supermarket industry I'd prefer you bring you dog as they seem more behaved then the snot nosed brat running around knocking **** over, your kid pissing and pooping and throwing up on my floor and asking if someone will clean it up for them. The one lady who came through my line literally asked me this and I handed her the towels a mop and bucket and Told her you are. I'm not properly trained to deal with chemical waste. Fortunately a manager came over and helped clean it up. But yeah the dogs are more behaved then children.

Another time my seafood coworker said he had to kick a parents kids out of his seafood area behind the counter while mom was oblivious of what was going on.

I honestly could go on and on about customer poor behavior, hygiene etc at stores in general from my own experience and others.

Either way don't blame the business unless they have a no pet policy besides service animals with the right tags and all on them because like my company we're powerless. It goes against HIPPA laws.

I find it strange how so much of the conversation got switched to "what about kids." I mean, if we're playing that game, I'd rather have a dog man the cash register than some of the cashiers I've run into lately, but I still don't think they should be in supermarkets.

I find it strange how so much of the conversation got switched to "what about kids." I mean, if we're playing that game, I'd rather have a dog man the cash register than some of the cashiers I've run into lately, but I still don't think they should be in supermarkets.

I agree on some cashiers but the pay is absolute **** you deal with some of the most arrogant entitled rude customers Half the time yelling at you for something that isn't your fault an standing in one spot for 6 hours. Having done a lot of retail and still do whenever I go somewhere else I make it a point to show my appreciation to those workers if they are giving me the courtesy.

We hear the same lame jokes like when it doesn't scan "oh it must be free" it wasn't funny the first time someone said it and it's not funny now complaining about a price that wasn't even the cashiers fault etc. I will say there are some cashiers who could be better but for the most part most want to do their job and go home and not be yelled at by some entitled ******* who wants to speak to the manager when they don't get their way because they couldn't read the sale tag properly.

We hear the same lame jokes like when it doesn't scan "oh it must be free" it wasn't funny the first time someone said it and it's not funny now complaining about a price that wasn't even the cashiers fault etc. I will say there are some cashiers who could be better but for the most part most want to do their job and go home and not be yelled at by some entitled ******* who wants to speak to the manager when they don't get their way because they couldn't read the sale tag properly.

Damn. One of my go-to jokes.

I am sure it's different in Kansas. You are probably still good to use it.

I agree on some cashiers but the pay is absolute **** you deal with some of the most arrogant entitled rude customers Half the time yelling at you for something that isn't your fault an standing in one spot for 6 hours. Having done a lot of retail and still do whenever I go somewhere else I make it a point to show my appreciation to those workers if they are giving me the courtesy.

Yeah, I didn't really mean to complain about cashiers in general (just those two nitwits, lol). My point was really just that it's not realistic to ban kids from grocery stores, so I'm not sure why they keep being mentioned.

Yeah, I didn't really mean to complain about cashiers in general (just those two nitwits, lol). My point was really just that it's not realistic to ban kids from grocery stores, so I'm not sure why they keep being mentioned.
because as much as dogs annoy some people, kids annoy others. while we are conditioned socially to be amazed and in wonder of every child, realistically many of us, like myself, don’t have kids and aren’t thrilled when they are around. many people treat dogs like family members, they are dogs, but they are family, otherwise, why have a dog?

I like buying leeks so when I checkout I can yell at the bagger "Look out man! There's a big leak in that bag!"

I'd be talking about kids without adult super vision. Our area has had an issue where like a group of 25 kids come up and congregate in the shopping center. Most are no older then 12-14 and are very disrespectful. Some of the things I've heard these kids say if they were my kid they'd be grounded till they went to college. They break things play on the handicap carts, still **** etc. One of our local places WAWA in the area banned kids with backpacks coming in at the least and only 2 at a time. I'd like see something similar. I had one customer call the cops on these kids outside before. The dude was a bit over the top with his stuff but I and a lot of others were glad he actually called. 2 girls came up to me 5 or so minutes after the kids dispersed one looked beat up pretty bad and her friend looked like she was hit. Apparently the group jumped them in the alley way connecting the shopping center parking lot and one of our neighborhood side streets. It's gotten so bad the township is looking to make a curfew for the kids.

I like buying leeks so when I checkout I can yell at the bagger "Look out man! There's a big leak in that bag!"

Just don't be surprised if you get broken eggs at the bottom of your bag because the cashier accidentally packed them in the bottom and put your 2 gallon milk and a bag of potatoes on top

Just don't be surprised if you get broken eggs at the bottom of your bag because the cashier accidentally packed them in the bottom and put your 2 gallon milk and a bag of potatoes on top
Don't be silly. That would never happen to him because when they ask him if he wants the milk in a bag, he says, "No thanks, just leave it in the jug."

Ah. Never mind.

I'm not a fan of dogs because they significantly twice when I was a child. :(
Obviously I do not think anyone that doesn't like dogs is a terrible person. I was playing off what pebbles said, and turned it around playfully.

Maybe it's voice recognition but your posts aren't making a lot of sense.

I believe you're now saying you were bit and now I assume your were asking me "what if that person was bit by a dog?" Of course, that person can hate dogs. Anyone can hate dogs (I would feel sad for them whether they wanted it or not though because dogs are awesome).

I'm sorry you were bit. There's plenty of bad dogs and bad dog owners, just like there's plenty of bad people generally.

Reactions: Zow
About 10 years ago Austin passed an ordinance allowing dogs on outdoor patios at restaurants because a couple of the council members had dogs and wanted to bring them to dinner. Last couple of years people bring their dogs pretty much anywhere.

Last edited:
Completely out of control. Kinda like how tipping has gone completely out of control.

Yeah if you can't tip you can't afford to eat out or order delivery it's thats simple
I am not talking about eating out. Or delivery.

Don’t assume.

How about tipping for subway employees.

Dunkin Donuts……tip for what? Doing your basic job? Pouring me a cup of coffee?

Did you wait on me? Did you refill my drinks?

That is out of control. That was never happening when we all worked at fast food restaurants….so don’t assume I am talking about full service dining establishments.

And for the record I don’t do any kind of delivery.

I do carry out/take out.

Last edited:
Completely out of control. Kinda like how tipping has gone completely out of control.

Yeah if you can't tip you can't afford to eat out or order delivery it's thats simple
I am not talking about eating out. Or delivery.

Don’t assume.

How about tipping for subway employees.

Dunkin Donuts……tip for what? Doing your basic job? Pouring me a cup of coffee?

Did you wait on me? Did you refill my drinks?

That is out of control. That was never happening when we all worked at fast food restaurants….so don’t assume I am talking about full service dining establishments.

And for the record I don’t do any kind of delivery.

I do carry out/take out.
My biggest issue with all the new tipping is that it is all asked for prior to even receiving service.

I bought my daughter a crumbl cookie on her birthday. I asked if they could write her name on it in icing. They said no problem. Asked me to type it in the receipt.

I paid and left a tip for the same amount as the cookie. Like $4ish.

I am waiting for my cookie and I can see the worker struggling with the printer. Finally after several minutes he hands me a box and says our printer isn't working so I can't do it.

I told him it's four letters. I can write it down for you. Said he can't help me and walks away.

So I paid double for nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread