What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I was called a "Boot" at the store last night (1 Viewer)

Am I a Boot?

• Yes

Votes: 16 37.2%
  • No

Votes: 9 20.9%
  • Maybe

Votes: 17 39.5%
  • Boot

Votes: 13 30.2%
  • Eagles -1.5

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • Chiefs +1.5

Votes: 11 25.6%
  • GoldenPlane

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
Long story short, I'm in line at the store*. A man in about his late 50's is kind of scolding the cashier about not being charged the sale price for something. From what I could gather he was buying plastic wrap that costs $3.49 but he saw the price listed as $2.99. The cashier asks for a price check but the store is understaffed and I'm not sure anyone is really checking. In the meantime the cashier is trying to adjust the price manually but she is having some difficulty. While it's all happening the customer who said his item was wrongly priced has gone from zero to sixty in about 8 seconds is now berating this poor cashier for the scanner overcharging him a few dimes. This goes on for about for about maybe 25-30 seconds until I decide to chime in and say there is no reason to yell at the cashier like that and that she's trying to fix the situation. As I finish speaking the transaction is completed and the man was charged the amount he thought he should have been charged and he's handed his receipt. As he's walking away he turns his head back toward me and says "shut up ya' Boot!" I'm a bit puzzled and say "what did you call me? Boot?" I'm not angry or anything just genuinely confused. He says, "That's right. You BOOT!" He super enunciated the word Boot this time. So he's out of the store and I'm checking out now. I ask the cashier if I heard him correctly. "Did he say Boot?" She is still a bit upset from the guy going off on her and just shrugs. There is a couple behind me in line and I ask them if they heard him say Boot, which they did. I ask them what it means and they have no idea.

I looked it up online and a "Boot" can mean someone in the military who is in or has just finished boot camp (someone who is inexperienced, a greenhorn) but I don't know how that would apply to me or the situation. Does anyone know what "Boot" could mean? Has anyone ever called you a "Boot"? Is this some kind of slur that I've just never heard? If I use the term in public will I be cancelled? For the record, I have been calling everyone I know Boot since this happened, including the missus.

-🥾

*There were no dogs in the store.

Short for Bootinski. Mind your own business, ya boot.
Clearly, that's it. Not sure why it would be 'boot', not 'butt' though.

Also just reminded me of an incident that happened when I was in maybe 6th grade. Shop teacher is arguing with one of the kids in the class. Another kid (whose last name was Orlinsky) joins in the argument on the side of the kid. Shop teacher tells him "stay out of this, you buttinsky". 2nd kid says "What did you just call me? You're making fun of my name? Is that an ethnic slur?". Investigation by school ensues.

I'm pretty sure that the teacher wasn't thinking about the kid's last name and the kid has probably never heard the term 'buttinski" before (I know I hadn't).

Last edited:
My daughter worked as a cashier at Lowes in high school and during her pandemic freshman year of online college. I was pretty shocked at some of the stories she told about abusive customers. She was so good at handling these that her manager actually "promoted" her to the customer service desk, which seems like punishing good behavior but I guess that's retail for you.

It meant something else than what is being described here when I was growing up. I don't know your ethnic background, but if you were a descendant of African slaves you may have been called this is the 60s/70s.

No idea what your guy meant, though.

No idea, but I've been thinking about you while building a cornhole set this week. Hope my bags fit sweetly in the hole like yours do.
My advice would be don't skimp on the materials. You want championship quality boards and bags.
I built this thing heavy duty. 2x4 frame and 1/2" sanded plywood. I also ordered a vinyl wrap so it will look sweet. I ordered the corn bags - they showed up yesterday and feel pretty solid.

I read somewhere that the pro guys use a bag that is slick on one side and the other side has a grippy texture to it. Seemed weird to me.

An irate psych patient called me "Pilgrim" as she walked away from me. It's been a few years, and I am still unable to process it.
Maybe she thought she was John Wayne.
One thing I've learned over the years, it's detrimental to your own mental health to spend time trying to figure out WHY some of these people say/do the things they do, such as asking yourself "what were they thinking when they did/said that?"

No idea, but I've been thinking about you while building a cornhole set this week. Hope my bags fit sweetly in the hole like yours do.
My advice would be don't skimp on the materials. You want championship quality boards and bags.
I built this thing heavy duty. 2x4 frame and 1/2" sanded plywood. I also ordered a vinyl wrap so it will look sweet. I ordered the corn bags - they showed up yesterday and feel pretty solid.

I read somewhere that the pro guys use a bag that is slick on one side and the other side has a grippy texture to it. Seemed weird to me.
Yeah slick side and sticky side.

Users who are viewing this thread