What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When did bringing your dog inside the supermarket become a thing? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to bring a non-service dog inside the supermarket?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 95 88.8%

• Total voters
restaurants
I've seen them at outside tables at restaurants.
There are bar-and-grill type places in N.O. that allow dogs inside -- no need to sit at an outside table or anything like that. What's common, though, is that these places have wide double doors or some other kind of semi-open-to-the-outdoors set-up. Dogs can sit with their owners anywhere, but if the dog needs to take care of business ... there's a handy area steps away.

A stuffy one-door-in-&-out kind of place wouldn't work well.

What are the house's thoughts on dog-friendly bars and restaurants? More specifically, those that are totally upfront about it and advertise "dogs welcome" as a selling point?

If that is part of the restaurant owner’s marketing approach, no problem for me as there are plenty of other dining options if I so choose. Not so much with your local supermarket, which I presume would prefer that customers don’t bring in their pets.

restaurants
I've seen them at outside tables at restaurants.
This is fine with me BTW. I figure if you sign up for open-air dining, you can't really complain about it if there's a dog laying there minding its own business at the table across from you. This may or may not be a 100% defensible position, but I would feel differently if it was an indoor restaurant. It just seems to me like slightly different sanitation rules should apply.

By the way, in the past couple months I’ve seen two dogs get into a scrap with owners having to pull them apart at both an outdoor restaurant patio and in the airport terminal. Not necessarily relevant to the conversation but worth mentioning. Not all dogs are well-behaved and some owners have a blind spot regarding their own pets.

There are bar-and-grill type places in N.O. that allow dogs inside -- no need to sit at an outside table or anything like that.
If it's allowed, then I may bring my dog there. If people don't like it, they shouldn't frequent that place.

In my town one of the bars has a separate fenced in section on the grounds of the bar, where they hold "Yappy Hour", people can get drinks from the Tiki Bar and the dogs run around off leash. It's one of my favorite places to be. Obviously that's not an inconvenience to anyone. In fact you can't go in without a dog.

A driver in a Mercedes is more likely to run a 4-way stop than the driver of a Kia, per a study I heard on NPR.
What?
I'll look for it later. A study by sociologists at one of the UC schools showed that drivers in older and cheaper cars were more likely to follow the "on the right rule" at 4 way stops than drivers in newer and more expensive cars. I misstated the study above. The investigators concluded it was related to entitlement ... kinda like when LeBron expects the refs to stop calling him for traveling or argues fouls.

I guess what it boils down to is having a level of consideration for others. I think people with small children should be considerate enough not to take their rugrats to a fine dining establishment where adults want to have a nice peaceful dining experience. Or to an adultish movie where they will be running up and down the aisles and throwing popcorn because they’re bored. People who do that just really don’t give much of a damn about others. This also applies to pet owners who want to bring their pets with them into settings where it will no doubt cause annoyance to at least some segment of other people and the dog is there not out of necessity but rather at the owner’s whim (e.g., supermarkets, airplanes, indoor dining at restaurants not marketed as dog-friendly, off leash on hiking trails, etc.).

I guess what it boils down to is having a level of consideration for others. I think people with small children should be considerate enough not to take their rugrats to a fine dining establishment where adults want to have a nice peaceful dining experience.
What if the rugrats behave properly? I have no problem with little kids going to nice restaurants. I have a problem with the parents that let their kids run amock at those places. At some point kids need to learn how to behave in those places. If they never go they never get the chance. However, if/when they act up the parents need to be disciplined enough to remove the kid for everyone elses sake. Parents should know their kids well enough to know when they will be inappropriate. Unfortunately most believe their kids do no wrong and let them do whatever. Actually fairly similar to dog owners as well. It's the bad ones that ruin it for everyone else.

The problem isn't dogs, the problem is humans. Humans who don't train their dogs. Somebody upthread said they don't want people's dogs all over them. I agree. If your dog is a jumper, incessant barker or misbehaved in other ways, leave it home. Otherwise, well-trained dogs are amazing and belong everywhere.

Think of all the annoying things that happen at the grocery store

- Leaving a grocery cart in a parking space. Dogs don't do this, people do.
- Paying with checks or otherwise holding up the line. Dogs don't do this, people do.
- Blocking the aisle with your cart. Dogs don't do this, people do.

I'd rather shop in a grocery store that is filled with dogs, than one that is filled with people.

I’d never take my dog to any market or store other than PetSmart but I don’t really care if others do. As long as they aren’t aggressive or noisy.

I still don't really care if someone does it but after thinking about this some, I think I'd vote against allowing them. I know a handful of people who are very afraid of dogs. It's one thing if you go to a place where there's an expectation of a dog but the grocery store isn't one of those. Between that, sanitation reasons and the possibility of altercations with other dogs I think they should be banned except for service dogs.

I love dogs but Home Depot is like a kennel now. Last time I was in HD there were 3 dogs, and one little yapper would not stop barking.

Time before a dog pissed in the aisle.

We have always had Labs, but I would never take them to an outdoor bar or cafe, or to Home Depot of a grocery store. They can stay home for an hour or so. In fact everytime we go out I sneak up and look in and she is sleeping sound on the couch.

I guess what it boils down to is having a level of consideration for others. I think people with small children should be considerate enough not to take their rugrats to a fine dining establishment where adults want to have a nice peaceful dining experience.
What if the rugrats behave properly? I have no problem with little kids going to nice restaurants. I have a problem with the parents that let their kids run amock at those places. At some point kids need to learn how to behave in those places. If they never go they never get the chance. However, if/when they act up the parents need to be disciplined enough to remove the kid for everyone elses sake. Parents should know their kids well enough to know when they will be inappropriate. Unfortunately most believe their kids do no wrong and let them do whatever. Actually fairly similar to dog owners as well. It's the bad ones that ruin it for everyone else.
Depends how nice a restaurant for me. High end place that you'll drop a few hundred in easy and there's no reason for young kids to be there. Much like dogs in stores.

I'm just saying my dog likely won't jump all over fruity pebbles since I don't plan on hanging out with him in the future or anything.
ok
My dog generally doesn't jump on anyone. I do not take him into any stores with me, except Pet Smart (and I have to since that's where his vet is). I wouldn't take him to an indoor restaurant. I would take him to an outdoor restaurant where it's allowed.

I didn't realize that random dogs jumping on people was such a plight in this Country though. Hopefully we can overcome it.

By the way, in the past couple months I’ve seen two dogs get into a scrap with owners having to pull them apart at both an outdoor restaurant patio and in the airport terminal. Not necessarily relevant to the conversation but worth mentioning. Not all dogs are well-behaved and some owners have a blind spot regarding their own pets.

Even well-behaved dogs get into altercations with other dogs. They aren't like humans who can essentially choose to walk away. I'm not sure there's a dog out there that wouldn't defend itself (rightly) when be attacked by another dog.

I'll bring my dog with me for the ride but she can wait in the car when I run in for my stuff.

If its a long trip she stays at home. I'm the biggest dog person on earth and no way I do this. If its some outdoor restaurant where bringing dogs is "the norm" then sure

This

The problem isn't dogs, the problem is humans. Humans who don't train their dogs. Somebody upthread said they don't want people's dogs all over them. I agree. If your dog is a jumper, incessant barker or misbehaved in other ways, leave it home. Otherwise, well-trained dogs are amazing and belong everywhere.

- Paying with checks or otherwise holding up the line. Dogs don't do this, people do.

I'd rather shop in a grocery store that is filled with dogs, than one that is filled with people.
You might, some don't. There's zero reason for dogs to be there.

I'm just saying my dog likely won't jump all over fruity pebbles since I don't plan on hanging out with him in the future or anything.
ok
My dog generally doesn't jump on anyone. I do not take him into any stores with me, except Pet Smart (and I have to since that's where his vet is). I wouldn't take him to an indoor restaurant. I would take him to an outdoor restaurant where it's allowed.

I didn't realize that random dogs jumping on people was such a plight in this Country though. Hopefully we can overcome it.

Totally not fair to people who are scared of dogs to have to face a dog jumping on them. My wife was terrified of dogs when we first met (thankfully she's overcome it to a degree) but I'd be pissed if somebody's dog jumped on her in some settings.

You can always grocery shop online.

So can you and your dog.

I guess what it boils down to is having a level of consideration for others. I think people with small children should be considerate enough not to take their rugrats to a fine dining establishment where adults want to have a nice peaceful dining experience. Or to an adultish movie where they will be running up and down the aisles and throwing popcorn because they’re bored. People who do that just really don’t give much of a damn about others. This also applies to pet owners who want to bring their pets with them into settings where it will no doubt cause annoyance to at least some segment of other people and the dog is there not out of necessity but rather at the owner’s whim (e.g., supermarkets, airplanes, indoor dining at restaurants not marketed as dog-friendly, off leash on hiking trails, etc.).
I like the cut of your jib, GB.

So can you and your dog.

My dog is well trained but not capable of shopping online. Maybe she needs to go and pick out her kibble.

You are sitting in a restaurant, and a guy walks in barefoot, and then walked up to your table and put his bare feet on your lap, and his wife said, "Oh hey, he's really friendly, he just wants to say hello, what's the matter, you don't like humans, lol, oh hey nice khakis you are wearing, I am sure that is mostly just regular street mud, that should wash right out lol, gee some people just don't like humans"

but I'd be pissed if somebody's dog jumped on her in some settings.
No one should let their dog jump on some one random and frankly I haven't really seen it happen to anyone not acknowledging/playing with the dog. Some people on here have random dogs crawling up their asses though apparently.

but I'd be pissed if somebody's dog jumped on her in some settings.
No one should let their dog jump on some one random and frankly I haven't really seen it happen to anyone not acknowledging/playing with the dog. Some people on here have random dogs crawling up their asses though apparently.

Like somebody said - there's A LOT of bad dog owners out there. Dogs interacting with people "unsolicited" happens a ton - just because we wouldn't allow it with our dogs doesn't mean it doesn't happen frequently. And I sympathize with people who have a real fear of dogs - even interacting with the most well-behaved dog in the world can be kind of traumatizing to people with that fear and from a quick Google search it looks like that could be anywhere from 5-15% of adults who have that fear.

What if the rugrats behave properly?
No. If you can afford a nice restaurant, you can afford a sitter.

We should go back to enforcing norms about certain spaces being reserved for adults. It's completely fine for us to say "I don't want to be around kids here -- I'll leave mine at home, and I expect that you'll do the same." Edit: This is the flip side of the "dog-friendly" restaurant. Restaurants that want to cater to people and their pets should feel free to do so without apology. Likewise, restaurants that want to cater to grown adults should be able to do that too.

Reactions: jwb

Yes to the bolded. As for teaching kids how to behave at restaurants, consider training them up at Applebee’s.

I just called the store and asked what the policy was for dogs in the store. I was told dogs were not allowed unless they are verified service dogs. I told them my wife (lie) was in the store yesterday and there was at least five dogs in the store. The woman told me that there should not have been but maybe it was because the dogs present were service dogs. I then pretended to ask my wife if the dogs were service animals and I told the woman on the phone that my wife said they were not. I was then told the matter will be investigated. Will post updates as they become available.

Yes to the bolded. As for teaching kids how to behave at restaurants, consider training them up at Applebee’s.
Agreed and when they show they can act appropriately there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed at an expensive restaurant. A well-behaved kid should have no more impact on your dining experience as any well-behaved adult.

There is a huge sign being posted slot around here that says service dogs only and they must be registered with the store before entry. Looks official. Ignored. No enforcement.

People are ****ty, news at 10.

People take their damn dogs to the gym here too which is so gross too.

Agreed and when they show they can act appropriately there is no reason they shouldn't be allowed at an expensive restaurant. A well-behaved kid should have no more impact on your dining experience as any well-behaved adult.

I don't trust parents to properly evaluate whether their small children are well-behaved enough to eat at an expensive fine dining restaurant. Myself included, which is why I sprung for a babysitter when my kids were little.

edit: You used the word "allowed." I'm not suggesting banning rugrats from fine dining restaurants. I'm suggesting that parents who choose to bring their rugrats to expensive fine dining restaurants are more likely to be the type of person that doesn't rank "consideration for others" very high on their list of concerns.

No. If you can afford a nice restaurant, you can afford a sitter.

We should go back to enforcing norms about certain spaces being reserved for adults. It's completely fine for us to say "I don't want to be around kids here -- I'll leave mine at home, and I expect that you'll do the same." Edit: This is the flip side of the "dog-friendly" restaurant. Restaurants that want to cater to people and their pets should feel free to do so without apology. Likewise, restaurants that want to cater to grown adults should be able to do that too.
If the kid is well behaved they will have no impact on your dining experience. I brought my kids to all types of restaurants when they understood and knew how to behave properly. Until they showed they understood how to act I would only take them to more family type restaurants. But when they showed they could behave they were allowed to nicer restaurants.

They had the same impact on other diners as any other well behaving adult.

There is a huge sign being posted slot around here that says service dogs only and they must be registered with the store before entry. Looks official. Ignored. No enforcement.

Gym also seems dangerous for the dogs and the clients. Surprised the gym hasn’t stepped up there.

Gym also seems dangerous for the dogs and the clients. Surprised the gym hasn’t stepped up there.

A sign went up very recently at the gym too. I overheard someone saying it's a guy that runs to the gym w the dog, swims, bikes (triathlon I guess) and runs back. But it's more than one so either way it's stupid. I've seen the dog by the pool and at cardio. Not yet seen one spotting someone.

Users who are viewing this thread