What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When did bringing your dog inside the supermarket become a thing? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to bring a non-service dog inside the supermarket?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 95 88.8%

• Total voters

Willie Neslon

Footballguy
I've noticed over the past year or so that every time I go to the supermarket there is at least one dog inside. Yesterday morning I went out to get some supplies before the games and at the store there were about 5-6 dogs on a leash with their owners while the dog owner shopped. They were not service dogs, just your regular Fidos. The dogs were sniffing around like dogs do. I saw a store employee vigorously petting one of the dogs and later I saw that same employee working the checkout line. I saw one dog make nose contact and possible tongue contact with some products in the bread aisle. While I was checking out (not in the employee dog-petter line) I felt a snout pushing at my ankle. I glanced down to see a poodle sniffing away at my shoe laces while it's owner seemed oblivious to the dog's activities. Maybe because it was a Sunday morning were there so many in the store but when did this become an acceptable thing? I remember a time when a store employee would tell the dog owner upon store entrance that dogs were not allowed inside. Did policies change? Have people's attitude's toward animals in the market changed? I love dogs as much as the next guy but this trend of bringing your pet with you wherever you go is out of control. Can't the dog stay at home alone for a few minutes while you go out and pick up your Cheetos?

I’d never take my dog to any market or store other than PetSmart but I don’t really care if others do. As long as they aren’t aggressive or noisy.

Or Home Depot. That's just weird to me.

I'd still take a dog in the super market over families that bring everybody along for the shopping. You're clogging the aisles unnecessarily. Leave the kids at home with a parent and go solo. Single parents, fine, I get it. But when mom, dad and 3 kids are all clinging on to a cart, it makes it very hard to get through efficiently.

Not everyone loves dogs. I don’t get this. It’s right up there with everyone taking tripod videos of themselves working out and getting pissy if you step into their line of view.

I think since COVID started it's been a bigger trend for dogs/pets to be allowed everywhere - supermarkets, restaurants, etc.
I think this was starting before the pandemic -- dumb people were bringing "emotional support animals" on airplanes with them, and stuff like that. This is the natural endpoint of that process, and I agree that the pandemic probably hastened its arrival, like every other bit of societal breakdown that we see around us.

I’ve been a dog owner the entirety of my adult life. Love dogs. Have never once taken my dog to accompany me anywhere indoors (outside of the vet or groomer). Dog does not join me at restaurants, bars, markets, or stores of any kind. I do not take my dog on airplanes. Just as I wouldn’t take a cat, or an iguana, or a guinea pig with me to any of those places, I don’t take my dog there.

I think since COVID started it's been a bigger trend for dogs/pets to be allowed everywhere - supermarkets, restaurants, etc.
I think this was starting before the pandemic -- dumb people were bringing "emotional support animals" on airplanes with them, and stuff like that. This is the natural endpoint of that process, and I agree that the pandemic probably hastened its arrival, like every other bit of societal breakdown that we see around us.

I’m not sure what the current state of affairs is for the various airlines, but I know several started just openly allowing pets on flights if you just pay a fee. No need to be a legit support animal (or, for some, to go through the fiction of getting support animal status).

I have a dog and like them well enough, but it's become such a societal norm that you basically have to love dogs to not be a monster that everyone pretends like they love dogs and dogs should be everywhere and there's no boundaries anymore.

Hiking trails are the worst nowadays. Dogs everywhere off leash and of course they run up to you and start sniffing and/or jumping and the owners think they're doing you a favor by letting their dog run up to you. "Oh he's just so friendly he wants to be your best friend!". Blah.

Did a waterfall hike last year and was sitting up by it and of course the other people there are letting their off leash dog run around, who gets wet and then sprays wet dog all over me drying himself off, tries to eat my peanut butter sandwich, etc. Owners are just half-assed "oh we're sorry he just loves peanut butter and is very friendly lol haha".

Dogs are cool. The vast majority of dog owners SUCK.

I noticed new signs at the Traders Joe's sometime in the past year or 2. The signs clearly state that service dogs are allowed, but not emotional support dogs. There's no policy to enforce them ASAIK like asking for papers. The service dogs are distinguishable by behavior and most wear service vests, at least the one my friend trained and then kept due to an ear infection which made her ineligible. You could put a steak in front of her and she'd stay still until given permission.

last time i checked most dogs are better behaved than any <6 year old. i’d rather be in a store with a dog minding their own business than a store with 2 screaming and crying infants throwing the usual spoiled fit, which is inevitable.

last time i checked most dogs are better behaved than any <6 year old. i’d rather be in a store with a dog minding their own business than a store with 2 screaming and crying infants throwing the usual spoiled fit, which is inevitable.
For me it's not a behavioral issue, it's a sanitation issue. To have animals sniffing around food that's going to be sold to the public is nuts. One of the dogs i saw yesterday had just come from Frisbee practice or something. The dog was wet and panting. Keep that sweaty monster away from the English muffins.

For me it's not a behavioral issue, it's a sanitation issue. To have animals sniffing around food that's going to be sold to the public is nuts. One of the dogs i saw yesterday had just come from Frisbee practice or something. The dog was wet and panting. Keep that sweaty monster away from the English muffins.
but isn’t everything packaged? is a dog’s nose more sanitary than the hands of a 3 yr old?

also, we are allowed to touch any fruit and vegetable we want without gloves and that is just brutal. even italy makes people wear plastic gloves to handle produce. ick

also, we are allowed to touch any fruit and vegetable we want without gloves and that is just brutal. even italy makes people wear plastic gloves to handle produce. ick
You should be washing your fresh fruits and vegetables anyway, so the gloves are pointless. Bare hands are fine for this.

I'll bring my dog with me for the ride but she can wait in the car when I run in for my stuff.

If its a long trip she stays at home. I'm the biggest dog person on earth and no way I do this. If its some outdoor restaurant where bringing dogs is "the norm" then sure

I have never seen a dog in a grocery store. At least in Houston area that is not a thing.

I hope that stays the case, dogs do not belong shopping.

I have a dog and like them well enough, but it's become such a societal norm that you basically have to love dogs to not be a monster that everyone pretends like they love dogs and dogs should be everywhere and there's no boundaries anymore.

Hiking trails are the worst nowadays. Dogs everywhere off leash and of course they run up to you and start sniffing and/or jumping and the owners think they're doing you a favor by letting their dog run up to you. "Oh he's just so friendly he wants to be your best friend!". Blah.

Did a waterfall hike last year and was sitting up by it and of course the other people there are letting their off leash dog run around, who gets wet and then sprays wet dog all over me drying himself off, tries to eat my peanut butter sandwich, etc. Owners are just half-assed "oh we're sorry he just loves peanut butter and is very friendly lol haha".

Dogs are cool. The vast majority of dog owners SUCK.
Happened to me recently as well. Was thrilled with muddy dog prints all over the front of me. If there weren’t a ton of people around, that dog would have had to save it’s owner.

but isn’t everything packaged? is a dog’s nose more sanitary than the hands of a 3 yr old?

I haven't seen many 3 year olds touching a bunch of items in the store. Maybe they get their hands on one thing and play with it. A dog's snout can quickly cover many things on it's sniffing journey through the aisle. He can germ up the entire chips aisle in about 8 seconds.

And in terms of annoyances (this is probably for another thread) I'd rather deal with a kid being a kid in an aisle than have to hear an adult talking full volume on their phone. Have a minor emergency? Forget what you're supposed to buy? No problem. Go ahead and make a call. Have to chew the fat with your bestie about the latest K-pop release? Do us all a favor and wait until you get in the car.

What are the house's thoughts on dog-friendly bars and restaurants? More specifically, those that are totally upfront about it and advertise "dogs welcome" as a selling point?

I have never seen a dog in a grocery store. At least in Houston area that is not a thing.

I hope that stays the case, dogs do not belong shopping.
In the Publix and Trader Joe's close to where I live in South Beach, I see dogs more often than not. It's a bougie hipster area (my small place is not) for millennials, who seem to have dogs instead of children, maybe as a test run! Some dogs are in strollers. But I've seen plenty of older adults, 65+, with little dogs, when I shop in Aventura, which is also somewhat bougie. Maybe it's the expansion of entitlement. A driver in a Mercedes is more likely to run a 4-way stop than the driver of a Kia, per a study I heard on NPR.

Why aren't grocery stores enforcing their own policies against dogs? Is it because they fear an angry customer? Don't want confrontation? Who's job is it to enforce this? An employee making minimum wage? They're already stressed out enough. Maybe the agencies that have put laws in place should be the ones enforcing the rules.

There's a dude at our local grocer who has a big, mean looking mix breed. He looks like his dog, just mean, menacing, face tats, I don't know that he's with home, but he's scary looking. He walks around with that dog and I can tell you this - I ain't saying **** to this guy about it and I doubt the clerks behind the counter want to say anything either.

What are the house's thoughts on dog-friendly bars and restaurants? More specifically, those that are totally upfront about it and advertise "dogs welcome" as a selling point?
Can't see any issue with that. You know what you're getting into if you don't like dogs.

On the original topic, can't say I've ever seen dogs in a grocery store. The local hardware store welcomes dogs and makes it well known. The employees all fawn over the dogs people bring in. I take mine if that's the only place I'm going.

Love 'em. I take my doggo disc golfing with me and we hit a local tap house that advertises dogs welcome. He lays down by my feet and rests. It's a shame I'm not single. Only time a female approaches me anymore is to pet my dog.

Last edited:
No problem. Thats on the business and the "risk" of losing customers

If you grew up where I did, someone bringing a dog in an establishment was the least worrisome thing that could happen.

As somebody said—a lot of it started with Covid. As somebody that managed a retail store for 29 years— I can tell you from personal experience that the actions and attitudes of many consumers has changed for the worst since then. Employees that aren’t getting paid a lot of money—but that are vital to keep businesses running —routinely get insulted, attacked verbally and physically anytime they try to enforce a store policy that might slightly inconvenience their customers. They have found that it is easier to let customers do what they want than it is to maintain any sort of policy. This is exactly why the notion that “the customer is always right” is toxic. A lot of customers are bullies and they could care less if they ruin the shopping experiences of those around them.

Can't see any issue with that. You know what you're getting into if you don't like dogs.

On the original topic, can't say I've ever seen dogs in a grocery store. The local hardware store welcomes dogs and makes it well known. The employees all fawn over the dogs people bring in. I take mine if that's the only place I'm going.
We bring ours to the hardware stores. They love dogs and have treats at the registers. We have brought him to wineries and breweries that welcome dogs as well as one resatraunt that had a dog friendly patio. I would never take him to a grocery store or inside a business that serves food.

Seeing a dog in a grocery store is still pretty rare around here, but it's not super-rare at many other types of retail establishments.

One thing I've always enjoyed is when a small business has a "shop pet" -- dog or cat or whatever. Our favorite comic-book shop when my kids were growing up had a little shop dog Shih Tzu -- the kids loved playing with him.

As somebody said—a lot of it started with Covid. As somebody that managed a retail store for 29 years— I can tell you from personal experience that the actions and attitudes of many consumers has changed for the worst since then. Employees that aren’t getting paid a lot of money—but that are vital to keep businesses running —routinely get insulted, attacked verbally and physically anytime they try to enforce a store policy that might slightly inconvenience their customers. They have found that it is easier to let customers do what they want than it is to maintain any sort of policy. This is exactly why the notion that “the customer is always right” is toxic. A lot of customers are bullies and they could care less if they ruin the shopping experiences of those around them.

Yeah, my son worked at Jersey Mike's during Covid and our state was mandatory masking for much of it. His managers told his staff that when a customer came in without a mask, just make their sandwich quickly and move along. Do not risk getting into it with somebody who isn't going to abide by the rules. They're just looking for a fight.

Users who are viewing this thread