What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

When did bringing your dog inside the supermarket become a thing? (1 Viewer)

Is it OK to bring a non-service dog inside the supermarket?

• Yes

Votes: 12 11.2%
  • No

Votes: 95 88.8%

• Total voters
No. If you can afford a nice restaurant, you can afford a sitter.

We should go back to enforcing norms about certain spaces being reserved for adults. It's completely fine for us to say "I don't want to be around kids here -- I'll leave mine at home, and I expect that you'll do the same." Edit: This is the flip side of the "dog-friendly" restaurant. Restaurants that want to cater to people and their pets should feel free to do so without apology. Likewise, restaurants that want to cater to grown adults should be able to do that too.
If the kid is well behaved they will have no impact on your dining experience.
Sure they do. They're kids. They kill the mood.

There are lots of places that cater to families with kids. Stick to those and let us have our spaces too. (Actually I'm using the term "us" too broadly -- my wife and I cook for ourselves 99% of the time, so what do I care who takes who where.)

Unrelated I got off a flight last week and the people waiting for that plane were like 50% service animal trainers or something. Had matching shirts. There were probably 40 golden retrievers sitting there smiling at us in a procession line as we walked off the plane. That was pretty sweet.

Still...leave the dogs at home when shopping for food or at any place that isn't a "dog friendly" establishment.

My gf & I ate dinner at an Outback a few weeks ago. The people in the booth next to us had a dachshund sitting on the seat between them & they were feeding it as they ate. When the server brought their check they sat the dog on the tabletop & she (the server) petted it for several minutes while she talked about how much she loved dogs. I've never seen a dog at the grocery store & this was a first for me at a restaurant. Pretty gross.

I know they are super cute and never annoying but keep your dogs out of the grocery store.
I honestly haven’t seen one in a Supermarket ever - except maybe one in a handbag.
I may have seen once or twice in Target. I really don’t go to many stores outside of the Supermarket though as I order Amazon for household supplies.

My gf & I ate dinner at an Outback a few weeks ago. The people in the booth next to us had a dachshund sitting on the seat between them & they were feeding it as they ate. When the server brought their check they sat the dog on the tabletop & she (the server) petted it for several minutes while she talked about how much she loved dogs. I've never seen a dog at the grocery store & this was a first for me at a restaurant. Pretty gross.
I’d imagine allowing dogs inside restaurants may turn a lot of people off. Most people wouldn’t even want to take their dog to an inside restaurant- anecdotally in my life at least. I’ve never seen a dog inside a restaurant or some one trying to bring one in. Sometimes I’ll see some at bars, but even that would be rare inside. Most of the places allow it outside, so 3/4 of the year. No one seems upset at that. Maybe New Jersey is more civilized than given credit for. 😀

Wow. I’d think that having a dog inside a restaurant would potentially violate health codes. My understanding is that here in Cali dogs are allowed in the outdoor areas of restaurants. However, the same limitations don’t apply to cougars

Wow. I’d think that having a dog inside a restaurant would potentially violate health codes. My understanding is that here in Cali dogs are allowed in the outdoor areas of restaurants. However, the same limitations don’t apply to cougars
aren't you in newport? the cougars are the ones bringing the dogs everywhere. they are ever present in laguna. it's mildly annoying.

I always wondered how the presence of a dog violates a health code. I've been eating breakfasts, lunches and dinners in my home around my dogs all my life and it's fine. But suddenly bringing a dog and having it sit under my table at the diner while I eat is unsanitary. It probably has to do with the likelihood of the dog going to the bathroom in the restaurant, but in my nine years of food service earlier in my life, I had to deal with probably as many instances of humans going number 2 where they shouldn't as dogs would have, had they been allowed inside.

I think dogs get a bad rap because they lick their own privates. But I guarantee each and every one of you would lick your own privates if you could. Hell, I'd never leave the house.

I saw a miniature horse in a Trader Joe's in Prescott, AZ last fall. Just clomping along nonchalantly through the store. Even though it was mini it had to weigh at least 300 pounds and was probably 4' tall at the shoulders. Apparently, its a regular as the cashier knew it and no one seemed surprised to see it there.

I always wondered how the presence of a dog violates a health code. I've been eating breakfasts, lunches and dinners in my home around my dogs all my life and it's fine. But suddenly bringing a dog and having it sit under my table at the diner while I eat is unsanitary. It probably has to do with the likelihood of the dog going to the bathroom in the restaurant, but in my nine years of food service earlier in my life, I had to deal with probably as many instances of humans going number 2 where they shouldn't as dogs would have, had they been allowed inside.

I think dogs get a bad rap because they lick their own privates. But I guarantee each and every one of you would lick your own privates if you could. Hell, I'd never leave the house.
I don’t know. It’s the hair, the exposed butthole, the potential for drooling, the poop eating, etc. People aren’t super clean either but what are you going to do.

Agreed on the ball licking points however.

I have a dog and like them well enough, but it's become such a societal norm that you basically have to love dogs to not be a monster that everyone pretends like they love dogs and dogs should be everywhere and there's no boundaries anymore.

Hiking trails are the worst nowadays. Dogs everywhere off leash and of course they run up to you and start sniffing and/or jumping and the owners think they're doing you a favor by letting their dog run up to you. "Oh he's just so friendly he wants to be your best friend!". Blah.

Did a waterfall hike last year and was sitting up by it and of course the other people there are letting their off leash dog run around, who gets wet and then sprays wet dog all over me drying himself off, tries to eat my peanut butter sandwich, etc. Owners are just half-assed "oh we're sorry he just loves peanut butter and is very friendly lol haha".

Dogs are cool. The vast majority of dog owners SUCK.
Agreed. The only way it can get worse if this becomes a thing on trails.

last time i checked most dogs are better behaved than any <6 year old. i’d rather be in a store with a dog minding their own business than a store with 2 screaming and crying infants throwing the usual spoiled fit, which is inevitable.
For me it's not a behavioral issue, it's a sanitation issue. To have animals sniffing around food that's going to be sold to the public is nuts. One of the dogs i saw yesterday had just come from Frisbee practice or something. The dog was wet and panting. Keep that sweaty monster away from the English muffins.
but isn’t everything packaged? is a dog’s nose more sanitary than the hands of a 3 yr old?

also, we are allowed to touch any fruit and vegetable we want without gloves and that is just brutal. even italy makes people wear plastic gloves to handle produce. ick
And there are multiple studies, including one from Italy, that show fresh produce is teeming with microorganisms, many of them antibiotic resistant.

A driver in a Mercedes is more likely to run a 4-way stop than the driver of a Kia, per a study I heard on NPR.
What?
It's true!
Of 461 cars, 27.98% yielded to pedestrians. Cars yielded more frequently for females (31.33%) and whites (31.17%) compared to males (24.06%) and non-whites (24.78%). Cost of car was a significant predictor of driver yielding (OR = 0.97; p = 0.0307); odds of yielding decreased 3% per $1000 increase.

Last edited:
A driver in a Mercedes is more likely to run a 4-way stop than the driver of a Kia, per a study I heard on NPR.
What?
It's true!
Of 461 cars, 27.98% yielded to pedestrians. Cars yielded more frequently for females (31.33%) and whites (31.17%) compared to males (24.06%) and non-whites (24.78%). Cost of car was a significant predictor of driver yielding (OR = 0.97; p = 0.0307); odds of yielding decreased 3% per $1000 increase.
And Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior

In 2 of their studies, higher vehicle status was associated with cutting off vehicles at 4-way stops, and cutting off pedestrians at cross-walks. The author concludes that "breaking the rules" is associated, in part, with a positive attitude toward greed.

What?
It's true!
And Higher social class predicts increased unethical behavior

In 2 of their studies, higher vehicle status was associated with cutting off vehicles at 4-way stops, and cutting off pedestrians at cross-walks. The author concludes that "breaking the rules" is associated, in part, with a positive attitude toward greed.
speaking of status and dogs not having thumbs, a big pet peeve of mine is when i go to my supermarket and some porsche or tesla or bmw dope decides to drop their privileged family off in front of the store and idle there, like directly in front of the entrance/exit. these people are so self focused that not for a moment do they think that people need to access the doors? the parking lot holds gazillion cars.

I am happy to say that I have never seen a dog in my grocery store.
Neither have I but I see them more and more at stores, restaurants, etc. I can understand most outdoor functions but unless you're blind please leave your dog at home if you're going to be indoors.

Love dogs. Have seen them in most places around (grocery, retail, etc.) but not restaurants. That being said, I've never taken any of mine anywhere but the vet or pet store / grooming place. If it's too hot to leave them in the car, they stay home. Some people are scared of dogs. And quite honestly, mine aren't service animals and of that caliber of "behaving". If it's not an openly dog friendly place, just leave them at home. For the other people AND your dog's sake.

There is a huge sign being posted slot around here that says service dogs only and they must be registered with the store before entry. Looks official. Ignored. No enforcement.

People are ****ty, news at 10.

People take their damn dogs to the gym here too which is so gross too.
Gym also seems dangerous for the dogs and the clients. Surprised the gym hasn’t stepped up there.

A sign went up very recently at the gym too. I overheard someone saying it's a guy that runs to the gym w the dog, swims, bikes (triathlon I guess) and runs back. But it's more than one so either way it's stupid. I've seen the dog by the pool and at cardio. Not yet seen one spotting someone.
Picturing Spike from Tom and Jerry here.

I am seeing more and more dudes take their dog to the poker room.
I feel so sorry for that dog, having to lay there surrounded by strangers for 3+ hours.
I've even seen paintings of some of those dogs playing it.
Yes, I've also seen those paintings. I think it was at the Louvre Museum in Paris.
All I remember is that painting of a chick with a sh!t-eating smirk. Probably just finished some produce from le marché du chien.

I am seeing more and more dudes take their dog to the poker room.
I feel so sorry for that dog, having to lay there surrounded by strangers for 3+ hours.
I've even seen paintings of some of those dogs playing it.
Yes, I've also seen those paintings. I think it was at the Louvre Museum in Paris.
All I remember is that painting of a chick with a sh!t-eating smirk. Probably just finished some produce from le marché du chien.

I prefer only service animals be allowed in but, assuming no behavioral issues, I rather you bring in your animal in instead of leaving it in a locked car when it's 95 degrees outside.

last time i checked most dogs are better behaved than any <6 year old. i’d rather be in a store with a dog minding their own business than a store with 2 screaming and crying infants throwing the usual spoiled fit, which is inevitable.
For me it's not a behavioral issue, it's a sanitation issue. To have animals sniffing around food that's going to be sold to the public is nuts. One of the dogs i saw yesterday had just come from Frisbee practice or something. The dog was wet and panting. Keep that sweaty monster away from the English muffins.

"Frisbee practice"

:lmao:

I work in the Animal Health industry - our stock price is directly reflective of the changing dynamics and views of pets these days. Some of the studies I've seen regarding willingness to pay for vet care are crazy. When I was a kid, our dog lived outside. They stayed outside. They ate dry dog food and table scraps. They wore a flea collar sometimes... Now, people legit will pay for 5-figure surgical procedures for their dog. My sister-in-laws both have dogs and will not go anywhere without them. We used to plan extended family vacations, and aside from the dates, the most important criteria was "has to allow dogs."

I think a lot of it is a generational thing. I'm not saying all the crazy dog people are young, but it's much more prevalent in the 20-something generation. People are starting families much later (if at all) and the dogs have sort of replaced kids until kids are actually in the picture. The people who go (in my opinion) too far with it can be really nuts. I think it's all fine until you get a crazy dog person who doesn't understand how to train or manage a dog. People fail to realize the financial ramifications of a dog biting someone in public. I've told my SIL that as one of her dogs is old, partially blind, and really temperamental. He put a hole in a pair of leather slippers WHILE I WAS WEARING THEM on Christmas a few years ago. I put my foot out to separate him from their other dog, and he went nuts on me. Glad it wasn't my kids - but it was enough for the new house rule to be that he had to be confined to the basement. Sorry.

Not sure what the specific laws are in Texas, but this article from 2019 seems to indicate that pet dogs in supermarkets are a no go.

Laws and regulations restrict the presence of animals in businesses that prepare, sell or serve food. However, there are exceptions for patrons accompanied by a service dog. As a grocery store owner, you and your staff should be prepared to work with and accommodate customers who have service animals, also enforcing health and sanitation laws.

Health and Safety Regulations​

State and local laws generally prohibit animals in grocery stores. This is because food is prepared, stored and sold in these businesses, and the presence of an animal could pose a sanitation risk. As a grocery store owner, it's up to you to uphold the law. The most obvious way to keep pets out of your store is to place signs at every entrance.

Service Animal Exceptions​

Federal law does allow people with disabilities to bring their service dogs into grocery stores. Unfortunately, there is some confusion about what qualifies as a service animal, which occasionally causes ill will between store owners and customers. The confusion often centers on the differences between a service animal and an emotional support animal. Although the federal Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) requires that all business owners, including grocery store owners, allow service dogs in their facilities, the same is not true for patrons who have emotional support animals.

Service Animals Definition​

The ADA defines a service animal as a dog that has undergone specialized training to perform specific tasks for its handlers, and these tasks must be related to the handler's disability. For example, a seeing-eye dog is trained to safely guide somebody with a visual impairment through indoor and outdoor environments. Other types of dogs may be trained to perform tasks such as reminding a person with depression to take his or her medication, alerting someone with diabetes that their blood sugar is low or signaling to somebody with epilepsy that a seizure is imminent and then providing protection during the event.
As the store owner, it is up to you to train your staff to permit service dogs in your establishment. many handlers place a special jacket or harness on their dog that indicates its status as a service animal. Although handlers are not required to produce any kind of documentation that verifies the dogs' service annual status, you and your staff are permitted to ask two questions of the handler:
  1. Is your dog a service animal?
  2. What tasks does it perform?

Emotional Support Animal Definition​

An emotional support animal provides care and comfort to an owner who is living with mental illness or is coping with some form of emotional distress. It is not trained to perform tasks, such as bringing its owner medication, and is therefore not considered a service animal. While landlords are obligated to accommodate emotional support animals in rental units that generally do not permit pets, this accommodation does not extend to public spaces, such as grocery stores.

Business Accommodations for Dog Owners​

Because many people are strongly attached to their dogs, it often makes sense for business owners to make some accommodations for customers' pets. Here are some ideas:
  • Local ordinances and state laws may permit dogs in an outdoor seating area, such as a beer gardenor patio. If your grocery store does have an outdoor area, you may wish to consider offering a section for patrons accompanied by a pet.
  • During the warmer months, place a water bowl outside your front door and keep it filled with cool, fresh water. People who are walking their dogs will appreciate being able to offer their pet a pit stop, and this gesture can increase community goodwill toward your business.
  • Fill a cookie jar with dog treats and place it up by your register. Encourage customers to take one for their dog.
  • Regularly review out your assortment of pet foods, treats and supplies, making sure that your customers can find what they need at your store.

fyi, we went to a 24 seat burger bistrot here on sunday and someone brought their dog in for the entire meal. dog sat quietly and got a hamburger. is it truly my thing, no. did it effect me in any way, no. i have other things to worry about.

Wait, is there a corner across the room from all other tables that is designated a kid’s corner? If so, I may have to rethink this.
OK, how do well behaved kids at the table next to you kill the mood? I never pay attention to other tables when I am out to dinner with my friends/family. I just don't see how it "kills the mood"

Sure they do. They're kids. They kill the mood.
How do well behaved kids eating dinner in a restaurant kill the mood at your table across the room?

Wait, is there a corner across the room from all other tables that is designated a kid’s corner? If so, I may have to rethink this.

P.S. When I started this particular side discussion, I used the term “rugrats.” Those are toddlers at best, and kids not ready to walk yet at worst (hence the term “rugrats.”)

OK, how do well behaved kids at the table next to you kill the mood? I never pay attention to other tables when I am out to dinner with my friends/family. I just don't see how it "kills the mood"

Toddlers by definition kill the mood of a fine dining experience. This is a universal truth. Your toddlers are no exception. I’m sorry to have to be the one to tell you this.

Users who are viewing this thread