What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Terrence McGee, J. Azumah, & Others (1 Viewer)

mizeners

Footballguy
These guys along with Nate Clements, Allen Rossum, and Ricardo Coclough have put my team over the top last year. Anybody have any info on team changes for this year, Azumah's hip injury, or new returners/IDP that could have an impact this year?P.S. Terrence McGee outscored all defensive players in my league by a total of 40 points! I plan to target him as the first defensive player taken just because of the advantage he gives my team. I'm just not sure how soon to take him. Last year the first defensive player was taken in Round 6.

I thought I read Azumah would be the nickel back this year (unfortunately).Thats all I have to add. :(

Roderick Hood slated to be KR in Philly. Anybody know if he's going to see any nickel time this year?

I plan to target him as the first defensive player taken just because of the advantage he gives my team.
:eek: Over R Lewis, J Peppers, E Reed, etc!??!

:eek:
With my league's scoring, McGee scored 182 points for the season, Lewis had 116 points, Peppers had 121 points, and Reed had 127 points. I know he may not match those numbers but being slated to be the starting CB and return kicks gives him just as many opportunities as last year. I draft in the 11th spot this year and I'm looking to take the McGee and Lewis or Urlacher after the turn. Believe me, I won several games last year just because of McGee's performance...I won't hesitate to take him again. Even with a moderate decrease in his stats, he will still be a top 5 IDP.

Clements may not return punts all year. Roscoe Parrish was supposed to take over that duty but an injury has kept that from happening. Clements may start the season in that position but he may not finish the year a the PR. McGee, OTH, should continue to return kickoffs.

I plan to target him as the first defensive player taken just because of the advantage he gives my team.

With my league's scoring, McGee scored 182 points for the season, Lewis had 116 points, Peppers had 121 points, and Reed had 127 points. I know he may not match those numbers but being slated to be the starting CB and return kicks gives him just as many opportunities as last year. I draft in the 11th spot this year and I'm looking to take the McGee and Lewis or Urlacher after the turn. Believe me, I won several games last year just because of McGee's performance...I won't hesitate to take him again. Even with a moderate decrease in his stats, he will still be a top 5 IDP.
I stand corrected...Your league's scoring system is extremely unique. Kick-returning must really supercharge a player's scoring for McGee to net 50% more pts than all of the top-scoring IDP's. Thanks for the clarification.

OK, back to your question. I would take a look at the following players:

* Azumah (CHI): Smith has stated that Azumah will remain the team's #1 KR, despite Azumah's recent hip surgery. If healthy, Azumah will start opposite Tillman.

* Groce (StL): Butler's replacement opposite Fisher. Groce may be the Rams' PR.

* Terrence Newman (DAL): The chance of him returning punts is getting remote, but he is still getting reps.

* Allen Rossum (ATL): Rossum returns both kicks and punts. He could be only one injury away from starting. Keep in mind that DeAngelo Hall's hip has been bothering him (...and Hall missed last season with a hip injury).

* Justin Miller (NYJ): With Ty Law on board, Miller's chance to start is very slim. However, the chance of Law staying healthy for 16 games may also be slim. Miller could very well return both kicks and punts for the Jets.

* Deltha O'Neal (CIN): O'Neal will probably be ignored in the return game, but injuries could change the Bengals' stance on his involvement. O'Neal was a monster in the return game for the Broncos and is the bona-fide starter opposite Tory James.

* Phillip Buchanan (HOU): If Swinton fails, Buchanan could easily be inserted into the return game. Buchanan's mouth is more than his game, but there's no denying his athletic ability.

* Darrett Williams (DEN): Much like Rossum, Williams is only one injury away from maybe starting. It appears as if Williams has a head-start on both the kick and punt return jobs in DEN. Plus, Lenny Walls has a difficult time staying healthy with multiple shoulder injuries last year.

* Fabian Washington (OAK): It appears as if Washinton will play behind Asomugha for much of the '05 season. However, he may get the nod as the team's PR in the meantime.

I stand corrected...Your league's scoring system is extremely unique. Kick-returning must really supercharge a player's scoring for McGee to net 50% more pts than all of the top-scoring IDP's. Thanks for the clarification.

* Azumah (CHI): Smith has stated that Azumah will remain the team's #1 KR, despite Azumah's recent hip surgery. If healthy, Azumah will start opposite Tillman.

* Terrence Newman (DAL): The chance of him returning punts is getting remote, but he is still getting reps.

* Allen Rossum (ATL): Rossum returns both kicks and punts. He could be only one injury away from starting. Keep in mind that DeAngelo Hall's hip has been bothering him (...and Hall missed last season with a hip injury).

* Justin Miller (NYJ): With Ty Law on board, Miller's chance to start is very slim. However, the chance of Law staying healthy for 16 games may also be slim. Miller could very well return both kicks and punts for the Jets.

* Deltha O'Neal (CIN): O'Neal will probably be ignored in the return game, but injuries could change the Bengals' stance on his involvement. O'Neal was a monster in the return game for the Broncos and is the bona-fide starter opposite Tory James.

* Phillip Buchanan (HOU): If Swinton fails, Buchanan could easily be inserted into the return game. Buchanan's mouth is more than his game, but there's no denying his athletic ability.

* Darrett Williams (DEN): Much like Rossum, Williams is only one injury away from maybe starting. It appears as if Williams has a head-start on both the kick and punt return jobs in DEN. Plus, Lenny Walls has a difficult time staying healthy with multiple shoulder injuries last year.

* Fabian Washington (OAK): It appears as if Washinton will play behind Asomugha for much of the '05 season. However, he may get the nod as the team's PR in the meantime.
Thanks for info...good stuff. :thumbup: I thought my league's scoring system was pretty standard so correct me if I'm wrong. 1pt/25returnyards, 6pts/TD, 3pt/Sack, 2pt/INT/FF/FR/Safety, 1pt/Tackle/PD

Terrence McGee's 2004 Stats: 85 Solo Tackles, 2 Sacks, 3 INTs, 15 PDs, 1370 Return Yards with 3 TDs

FBG Projected 2005 Stats: 68 Solo Tackles, 1 Sack, 7 INTs, 10 PDs, no return yards projected (Ranks 18th overall DBs with 102 points according to my league scoring system)

I'm not trying to convince anyone to take this guy, but I will have my eye on him during my draft. Just the return yards alone put him at the top of the list. Maybe Buffalo won't get scored on as often, maybe he will have an off year like Dante Hall did after his breakout year, maybe he will get hurt. Fact is, he's a starting CB that will have an easy opportunity to match his projected stats. With the returns, his ranking only goes higher. Hopefully everyone who reads this takes a good look at where he would fall according to your leagues scoring system. The only other DBs that is worth considering, in my opinion, would be Azumah or Rossum. Both have the upside of possibly starting on defense AND returning kicks. If not for return yards, the likes of Ed Reed and such are definitely at the top of my list.

I thought my league's scoring system was pretty standard so correct me if I'm wrong. 1pt/25returnyards, 6pts/TD, 3pt/Sack, 2pt/INT/FF/FR/Safety, 1pt/Tackle/PD
Many IDP leagues award 2 pts per solo and 1 pt per assist. INT's are usually worth anywhere from 3-8 pts. My IDP league awards 0.05 per return yard. Therefore, an afternoon with 80-100 return yards would only net an additional 4-5 pts.Either way, it sounds like you're on the right track. If my league had your scoring system, I would definitely be taking the same approach as you.

I thought my league's scoring system was pretty standard so correct me if I'm wrong. 1pt/25returnyards, 6pts/TD, 3pt/Sack, 2pt/INT/FF/FR/Safety, 1pt/Tackle/PD
Many IDP leagues award 2 pts per solo and 1 pt per assist. INT's are usually worth anywhere from 3-8 pts. My IDP league awards 0.05 per return yard. Therefore, an afternoon with 80-100 return yards would only net an additional 4-5 pts.Either way, it sounds like you're on the right track. If my league had your scoring system, I would definitely be taking the same approach as you.
Great Info! we get 1pt/10 return yards so finding a returner/idp is gold. I was debating between Azumah and Clements, but it looks like Azumah will be back on the field starting CB and returning kicks.

Users who are viewing this thread