What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #12. Cat’s In the Cradle (3 Viewers)

17. Joni Mitchell “Free Man In Paris” (from Court and Spark)

Mitchell’s tribute to David Geffen (or perhaps it’s a sly mockery) is one of her greatest songs. Geffen was considered a ruthless businessman 50 years ago, except perhaps to his closest friends; he had roughly the same reputation that Scooter Braun has today. (Braun regards Geffen as his mentor in the music business.)

17. Joni Mitchell “Free Man In Paris” (from Court and Spark)

Mitchell’s tribute to David Geffen (or perhaps it’s a sly mockery) is one of her greatest songs. Geffen was considered a ruthless businessman 50 years ago, except perhaps to his closest friends; he had roughly the same reputation that Scooter Braun has today. (Braun regards Geffen as his mentor in the music business.)
You don’t get to be a billionaire without being ruthless. Unless you inherit billions, which means your ancestor was ruthless.

This too should have been higher (Binky: lower). The two hits from Court and Spark are among the very best songs of the 70s regardless of genre.

I have seen this performed live … by Phish.

16. Bob Marley “No Woman, No Cry” (from Natty Dread)

Widely regarded as one of the greatest reggae songs of all time. Not my personal favorite Marley tune, but I had to place it high in the rankings.

15. Jackson Browne “Fountain of Sorrow” (from Late For the Sky)

I’ve been a fairly big fan of Jackson Browne’s early material over the years (from his first 3 albums), and this song just might be the best of it. So well written, such great introspective lyrics. I don’t get tired of this.

14. David Bowie “Rebel Rebel” (from Diamond Dogs)

Proto-punk: music from the late 60s and early 70s that set the stage for the punk rock movement of the late 70s.

“Rebel Rebel”: perhaps the ultimate proto-punk song. Bowie abandoned glam and ushered in a whole new sound with one of the sharpest guitar lines ever laid down.

I don't mind this song (or Cocker himself), but this isn't the most diverse song. Hearing this on AM Top 40 Radio twice an hour, it could get repetitive really fast.
Fackkking 'Ell, you have a great soul singer like Cocker, and the least soulful song he ever sang gets chosen.

Criminy

Proto-punk: music from the late 60s and early 70s that set the stage for the punk rock movement of the late 70s.
Birth of punk right here

don't want to get technical - but let's go back 4 years before this amazing kickass song with the same group

I Wanna Be Your Dog

Birth of punk right here

don't want to get technical - but let's go back 4 years before this amazing kickass song with the same group

I Wanna Be Your Dog
DANGIT

this is a better answer

Birth of punk right here

I Wanna Be Your Dog
DANGIT

this is a better answer
What about MC5 and Kick Out The Jams?

Birth of punk right here

I Wanna Be Your Dog
DANGIT

this is a better answer
What about The Monks?

16. Bob Marley “No Woman, No Cry” (from Natty Dread)

Widely regarded as one of the greatest reggae songs of all time. Not my personal favorite Marley tune, but I had to place it high in the rankings.
The live version that appears on the Legend compilation is better than the studio version.

Birth of punk right here

I Wanna Be Your Dog
DANGIT

this is a better answer
What about The Monks?
Like many genres, it's tough to corral when punk really started. Many point to the Kingsmen's "Louie, Louie" as an early influence.

13. The Doobie Brothers “Black Water” (from What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits)

I’d like to hear some funky Dixieland, pretty momma come and take me by the hand

Patrick Simmons’ tribute to Delta blues is timeless and wonderful and among the best songs this band ever released. I’ve always loved the dreamy way it begins. Gorgeous harmonies throughout.

13. The Doobie Brothers “Black Water” (from What Were Once Vices Are Now Habits)

I’d like to hear some funky Dixieland, pretty momma come and take me by the hand

Patrick Simmons’ tribute to Delta blues is timeless and wonderful and among the best songs this band ever released. I’ve always loved the dreamy way it begins. Gorgeous harmonies throughout.
Amusing that their first #1 was from their "microphone #2" guy. And it was originally a B-side that DJs flipped over.

It's underrated as a group drunken singalong tune.

Amusing that their first #1 was from their "microphone #2" guy. And it was originally a B-side that DJs flipped over.

It's underrated as a group drunken singalong tune.
I was super late to the Doobie Brothers.

When I was a kid, I thought it was a stupid name, and any band that had a guy with a mustache and a Crystal Gayle haircut I rejected immediately. (And there were SEVERAL of these guys in the 70's).

Now I dig them, and I like both versions.

They were a good band. The rock critics despised them, but the record-buying public didn't.

They were a good band. The rock critics despised them, but the record-buying public didn't.
No one loved them more than Raj, Rerun and the gang did. 📼

Last edited:
12. Harry Chapin “Cat’s In the Cradle” (from Verities and Balderdash)

So here is a song that almost everybody knows. Like most of what Chapin did, it’s a story song, the lyrics originally written by his wife. The tale is simple yet deeply moving: a father is too busy to spend time with his son, and when the son grows up he’s too busy to spend time with his dad. An obvious message with very little subtlety; Harry wants to hit us on the head with a hammer. And it has always worked with me. The final verse lines “My boy was just like me” still gets me every time, Sob.

So here is a song that almost everybody knows. Like most of what Chapin did, it’s a story song, the lyrics originally written by his wife. The tale is simple yet deeply moving: a father is too busy to spend time with his son, and when the son grows up he’s too busy to spend time with his dad. An obvious message with very little subtlety; Harry wants to hit us on the head with a hammer. And it has always worked with me. The final verse lines “My boy was just like me” still gets me every time, Sob.
Great song and one of the ultimate gut punches for the dads among us.

The crying emoji is the only way to react to this.

Users who are viewing this thread