What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #17. Free Man In Paris (1 Viewer)

54. Ozark Mountain Daredevils “Jackie Blue” (from It’ll Shine When It Shines)

Always thought this was one of the great ever names for a band! 1974 was a banner year for southern rock as will be seen again later here.
Didn't realize this band was one of the few that had the drummer as the lead singer.

52. The Hollies “The Air That I Breathe” (from Hollies)

the Hollies sound like a little like ELO here trying to sound a little like the Beatles. And that’s a good thing, This is a memorable tune that makes you want to sing along. It’s also a bit of an earwig,.
I went looking on Wiki to see when Graham Nash left The Hollies and found out a young Elton John appeared on some of their recordings in 1969/1970.

Always thought this was one of the great ever names for a band! 1974 was a banner year for southern rock as will be seen again later here.
Didn't realize this band was one of the few that had the drummer as the lead singer.
They had four singer/songwriters in the band, and the drummer (Larry Lee) was one of them. He co-wrote and sang this one.

They had four singer/songwriters in the band, and the drummer (Larry Lee) was one of them. He co-wrote and sang this one.
Thanks. Other than this song and "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" I know nothing about this band.

51. Earth, Wind & Fire “Mighty Mighty” (from Open Our Eyes)

I really didn’t appreciate these guys enough in my younger days since their musical style wasn’t in my wheelhouse. But now I marvel every time I hear them. The skill and professionalism here is off the charts. Seriously there may have been no better musical group in the entire decade.
They are the R&B Steely Dan. This became more apparent as the decade went on. I Am (1979) is basically the R&B Aja.
Or the Dan was the AOR EWF :lol:

They were a band full of jazz/R&B/studio ringers. Pretty much anything your band could do, EWF could do better.

This record is by far the most primitive of their radio hits. But even this one has nary a note nor vocal out of place.

50. Eagles “Best Of My Love” (from On The Border)

Not to be confused with the Emotions song of the same title (which I regard as the greatest disco tune of all time.) This one is a sweet ballad, and Henley’s rougher vocals gives it an edge that the Fry sung tunes don’t always have.

Thanks. Other than this song and "If You Wanna Get To Heaven" I know nothing about this band.
The three OTHER singer/songwriters were involved with that one. It was written by singer/songwriter/guitarist John Dillon and singer/songwriter/harmonica player Steve Cash, but sung by singer/songwriter/guitarist Randall Chowning.

The first two albums (The Ozark Mountain Daredevils (1973) and It'll Shine When It Shines (1974)) are good pretty much all the way through. The others are spottier. Jackie Blue is kind of an outlier, though. Most of their material was much "rootsier" than that.

Not to be confused with the Emotions song of the same title (which I regard as the greatest disco tune of all time.) This one is a sweet ballad, and Henley’s rougher vocals gives it an edge that the Fry sung tunes don’t always have.
It's not as boring as the ballads on Hotel California or The Long Run, so there's that.

Oh, my...well...then I guess maybe the good news is that we hopefully won't get to see your100 Greatest Disco Tunes Of All Time list.

Oh, my...well...then I guess maybe the good news is that we hopefully won't get to see your100 Greatest Disco Tunes Of All Time list.
Tim is furiously writing this down in his notebook of ideas.
Looking forward to it. 👍

Where will Jive Talkin' rank?

Looking forward to it. 👍

Where will Jive Talkin' rank? :mellow: I dunno...God help us.

Looking forward to it. 👍

Where will Jive Talkin' rank? :mellow: I dunno...God help us.
:yawn:

The best way to think of the Alan Parsons Project was the British Steely Dan in reverse. Despite the name, they were the product of two people, Parsons and Eric Woolfson. Like the Dan, they strived for the highest production quality. While Steely Dan had the same lead singer (Donald Fagen) backed by different musicians on each track, after the first album, the Alan Parsons Project had mostly the same musicians performing behind a rotating cast of singers. And neither act played live for most of their original run.
Listening to I Robot now.

Problem is I don’t know if I even know 100 good disco songs. There’s about 20-30 I love, the rest is crap.
There are a lot of good tunes that are disco-adjacent, or proto-disco, or disco done by non-disco acts. I don’t think 100 good songs would be too big a lift.

79. Pilot “Magic” (from From the Album of the Same Name)

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.
Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely over killed it a bit, but good to see it make a comeback.
Looks like the New York Times has picked up on the "Magic"/Ozempic connection. Apologies if it's behind a firewall:

At the cardiology conference I was at this weekend, Ozempic/Wegovy ads were everywhere. One of my co-workers mentioned that “each time I see them I get that ELO song in my head.” I quickly interjected that she was confusing Magic with Strange Magic.
The NY Times has a piece on the impact of the Ozempic jingle. Pilot frontman David Paton, who actually sings the latest version of the jingle, has earned seven figures in royalties from it.

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.
Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely over killed it a bit, but good to see it make a comeback.
Looks like the New York Times has picked up on the "Magic"/Ozempic connection. Apologies if it's behind a firewall:

At the cardiology conference I was at this weekend, Ozempic/Wegovy ads were everywhere. One of my co-workers mentioned that “each time I see them I get that ELO song in my head.” I quickly interjected that she was confusing Magic with Strange Magic.
The NY Times has a piece on the impact of the Ozempic jingle. Pilot frontman David Paton, who actually sings the latest version of the jingle, has earned seven figures in royalties from it.

Exactly what I linked above. Great minds and all that. 🙂

Exactly what I linked above. Great minds and all that. 🙂
“NO ONE READS YOUR POSTS!!!!!” :laugh:

Problem is I don’t know if I even know 100 good disco songs. There’s about 20-30 I love, the rest is crap.
There are a lot of good tunes that are disco-adjacent, or proto-disco, or disco done by non-disco acts. I don’t think 100 good songs would be too big a lift.
Sounds like you’re the guy for this. I don’t know enough.
I’m intrigued. Seems like a fun collaboration. Once this one wraps up, you can kick me your 20-30 disco songs. We can solicit input from @zamboni and @Uruk-Hai and any others who cares to nominate some songs.

The way I envision a disco list, I must warn the house, would leave at least some listeners frequently asking “Is that really disco? I mean, kinda, but really?” My definition of the genre is expansive.

I’m intrigued. Seems like a fun collaboration. Once this one wraps up, you can kick me your 20-30 disco songs. We can solicit input from @zamboni and @Uruk-Hai and any others who cares to nominate some songs.

The way I envision a disco list, I must warn the house, would leave at least some listeners frequently asking “Is that really disco? I mean, kinda, but really?” My definition of the genre is expansive.
I'll help.

I would be into a top 100 disco countdown.
Me too. Problem is I don’t know if I even know 100 good disco songs. There’s about 20-30 I love, the rest is crap.
“Jive Talkin” is on the love list though. Great tune.

This discussion reminds me of the quote by Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo who said that disco was "like a beautiful woman with a great body and no brains" :biggrin:
That's rich coming from someone in Devo

I think the definition of disco should be expansive. There were definitely artists that primarily were disco and others (like the Rolling Stones) that dabbled in it.

I would be into a top 100 disco countdown.
Me too. Problem is I don’t know if I even know 100 good disco songs. There’s about 20-30 I love, the rest is crap.
“Jive Talkin” is on the love list though. Great tune.

This discussion reminds me of the quote by Mark Mothersbaugh of Devo who said that disco was "like a beautiful woman with a great body and no brains" :biggrin:
That's rich coming from someone in Devo

Some of Devo's songs hold up better today than a lot of the 70's disco hits IMO, like Girl U Want.

Some of Devo's songs hold up better today than a lot of the 70's disco hits IMO, like Girl U Want.
Ok, so "some" (not all) hold up better than "a lot" (not all) of disco hits. That's a hot take.

And an accurate one as Devo was hit or miss, with some brilliant tunes along with some absolute dreck and while I detest most of the disco hits, there is some good stuff mixed in with it (for example, Donna Summer's Hot Stuff with Jeff "Skunk" Baxter doing the guitar solo).

I'll help.
I will too but may depend on timing when this one is done.

Ok, so "some" (not all) hold up better than "a lot" (not all) of disco hits. That's a hot take.
So he hates disco AND the Smiths?

I don't hate The Smiths, if you are referring to me. I have posted several of their songs, plus Morrissey in his solo career on my Twitter timeline.

I pointed out that while I was a big fan of theirs (in that thread) I had also noted that they were not that popular in the US (as was claimed) and which was backed by the popular music charts at that time (which you can find online).

Last edited:
49. ABBA “Waterloo” (from Waterloo)

The song that launched this group into superstardom. They won something called the Eurovision Song Contest and away they went. As with most of their best hits it’s cheerful, bouncy and catchy stuff.

The song that launched this group into superstardom. They won something called the Eurovision Song Contest and away they went. As with most of their best hits it’s cheerful, bouncy and catchy stuff.
I haven't looked that deep into the year, but I'm always hard pressed to place many above ABBA in their era. IMO, this one is still as catchy and fresh as it was back then.

Their early hits were cheerful and bouncy.(Ring Ring, I do I Do I Do etc, Dancing Queen)
Once they started divorcing each other, the somgs often still sounded bouncy but were incredibly dark if you listen to the lyrics.
S.O.S, The Winner Takes it All, Super Trouper, Knowing Me Knowing You etc.

I haven't looked that deep into the year, but I'm always hard pressed to place many above ABBA in their era. IMO, this one is still as catchy and fresh as it was back then.
Yeah Abba are the GOAT if you like pop music. Genuinely complex musically, lyrically challenging. Often imitated, never bettered.

47. Rush “Working Man” (from Rush)

As all Rush fans no doubt are aware, their debut album had quite a different sound than what made the band famous years later: Neil Peart wasn’t the drummer, and the music had more of a hard rock blues base than progressive art rock. That might be why I love this song so much- it might be my favorite Rush song. Lifeson’s guitar here sounds like Black Sabbath. I’m no expert on Rush, having only really listened to the hits and their most famous records, but have they ever rocked harder than this? Great stuff.

As all Rush fans no doubt are aware, their debut album had quite a different sound than what made the band famous years later: Neil Peart wasn’t the drummer, and the music had more of a hard rock blues base than progressive art rock. That might be why I love this song so much- it might be my favorite Rush song. Lifeson’s guitar here sounds like Black Sabbath. I’m no expert on Rush, having only really listened to the hits and their most famous records, but have they ever rocked harder than this? Great stuff.
One of my favorite Rush tunes as well probably because it is so guitar driven.

Cygnus X-1 says hello.

Tim at least put a Rush song on here. So I'll give him that. I have no idea what songs follow. But I'lm gonna guess this is one of the top 20 most played songs from this year. Both on the radio and streaming. Longevity matters. And this tune indeed rocks.

By far the best pre-Peart Rush song. It’s monstrous.

46. Barry White “Can’t Get Enough of Your Love, Babe” (from Can’t Get Enough)

This was Barry White’s most famous song. Like the previous tune selected by this artist it begins with a spoken word soliloquy- Barry believes in lots of foreplay before the main event, and even then he makes it slow for you baby.

Man, I miss 70s music. Not saying it was the "best era" because people get caught up in their age some times. But going from ABBA, to Mott, to Rush, to Barry and realizing these are all great songs with REAL musicians and no autotune while crossing genres. What a time to be alive. This is a good run you have going here Tim.

Users who are viewing this thread