What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1974 #20. Fire (23 Viewers)

87. Frankie Valli “My Eyes Adored You” (from Closeup)

Sweet blue eyed soul here. I can’t say I’m a huge Frankie or Four Seasons fan but I don’t turn him off either. Always been a guilty pleasure for me.

I’ve never thought much of Dionne Warwick. She lucked out by hitching herself to a couple of amazing somgwriters (Hal David and Burt Bacharach), and when that relationship ended, so did her fortunes because she was a decidedly mediocre singer.
Seems a totally unnecessary sledge against Ms Warwick.
Lots of singers hitch their wagon to a songwriter(s)
Mediocre singer? Her voice is restrained beauty.

Heres some good descriptions of her voice from people who might actually have thought about her more than half a second
Scintillating, soothing and sensual best describe the familiar and legendary voice of five- time Grammy Award winning music legend, Dionne Warwick

From Hal David himself
Dionne is a magical singer,” Hal David exclaims. “She’s a very good musician.” He searches for just the right word to describe the woman who made so many of his lyrics famous. “She was a great collaborator.”

It’s an apt description. Far more than most artists who are linked to a songwriter or songwriting team, Dionne Warwick was virtually a third member of the Bacharach/David collaboration. She was so good in her role that Bacharach & David could write without any sense of constraint.

“The more I saw what she could do, the more chances I could take as a songwriter,” Bacharach said in 1995. “I could write something that could be a couple of octaves in ranch, something I wouldn’t dare do for another singer.”

“Technically, she could do almost anything,” David concurs. “She was unafraid. She was just far and away the best interpreter we had. She came to us very early in the game, and we just grew together.

“We had, over the years, recorded with some people who had wonderful voices but were surprisingly unmusical. It took forever to get it right – and sometimes [they] never [did]. With Dionne, it always came out right. It didn’t take much for her to grasp and express the nuances – the little something that’s impossible to put down on paper. You could explain it once and she would get it.”

David downplays the idea that he and Bacharach tailored songs for Warwick: “To a large extent, Burt and I just wrote songs and then we gave them to Dionne. She could do them all.”

“And she did it almost effortlessly,” Bacharach said in 1993. “The range didn’t matter. The difficulty didn’t matter. I don’t think there was another singer who could have listened, taken direction, and then delivered the way Dionne did.”

Throughout their long partnership, Warwick and Bacharach seemed to bring out the best in each other. In a 1987 profile in The New York Times, critic Stephen Holden observed: “While other singers and composers in the rock era have enjoyed fruitful longstanding professional relationships, none has had such oddly perfect chemistry as [Warwick and Bacharach]. In some mysterious way, is melodies bring out a lightness and urgency in her that no other composer has elicited. She, in turn, imbues his staccato punctuated melodies with an ideal blend of elegance and soul.”

In a separate 1987 interview, Bacharach put it more simply. “This lady belongs singing my song.”

Sweet blue eyed soul here. I can’t say I’m a huge Frankie or Four Seasons fan but I don’t turn him off either. Always been a guilty pleasure for me.
Always liked this one - I think we had it on an 8-track compilation when I was young.

My friend from across the street and her mother had to ask me what he was singing. Carla thought it was "my sweet Georgia," and her mother thought it was "my sadorcha". What the hey is a "sadorcha"? I was laughing so hard I had difficulty telling them what it really was. It's not as if he doesn't enuciate.

My friend from across the street and her mother had to ask me what he was singing. Carla thought it was "my sweet Georgia," and her mother thought it was "my sadorcha". What the hey is a "sadorcha"? I was laughing so hard I had difficulty telling them what it really was. It's not as if he doesn't enuciate.

I thought it was "My Sweet Georgia" for quite a while, too, until a DJ announced the song title on the air after he played it.

I thought it was "My Sweet Georgia" for quite a while, too, until a DJ announced the song title on the air after he played it.
Others had some confusion:

But “Hawaii Georgia” or “Mice of Georgia” - come on.

86. George Harrison “Dark Horse” (from Dark Horse)

One of George’s lesser remembered songs but also one he considered to be among his best; he renamed his production company after it. The lyric is a playful reminder that, at the time it was written, George Harrison was surprisingly considered the most successful of the ex-Beatles.

85. Queen “Brighton Rock” (from Sheer Heart Attack)

A few years before Eddie Van Halen’s “Eruption”, Brian May offered his own exploration of the limitless reaches of a rock guitar. As good as the original recording is here, you can’t truly appreciate how great May is unless you’ve seen him perform this live, which I have now had the good fortune to do twice, in 1980 and 2023.

85. Queen “Brighton Rock” (from Sheer Heart Attack)

A few years before Eddie Van Halen’s “Eruption”, Brian May offered his own exploration of the limitless reaches of a rock guitar. As good as the original recording is here, you can’t truly appreciate how great May is unless you’ve seen him perform this live, which I have now had the good fortune to do twice, in 1980 and 2023.
Love this pick. I've probably posted it before, but the Live Killers version made me an instant huge fan of the band and this album when I was in middle school. Who else does a long timpani solo?

83. Neil Sedaka “Laughter In The Rain” (from Sedaka’s Back)

Either you think this is awful 70’s schmaltz or you love it. I love it. Helps that he’s got the best of the LA Wrecking Crew backing him up (Danny Kortchmar on guitar, Leland Sklar on bass, Russ Kunkel on drums, Joe Horn with the sax solo- that’s a pretty legendary bunch.)

Either you think this is awful 70’s schmaltz or you love it. I love it. Helps that he’s got the best of the LA Wrecking Crew backing him up (Danny Kortchmar on guitar, Leland Sklar on bass, Russ Kunkel on drums, Joe Horn with the sax solo- that’s a pretty legendary bunch.)
Soft rock classic.

The former. It is awful 70’s schmaltz and the fact it reached #1 doesn't make it any better.

Last edited:

He was even better connecting with Aaron Brooks back in the day.

84. Neil Diamond “Longfellow Serenade” (from Serenade)

Neil Diamond’s best output culminated in the phenomenal live album Hot August Night, released the previous year. But even after that he would still produce some memorable hits from time to time, and this was certainly one of them.
Speaking of "Hot August Night" can someone explain what's going on with this album cover?

84. Neil Diamond “Longfellow Serenade” (from Serenade)

Neil Diamond’s best output culminated in the phenomenal live album Hot August Night, released the previous year. But even after that he would still produce some memorable hits from time to time, and this was certainly one of them.
Speaking of "Hot August Night" can someone explain what's going on with this album cover?
Solitary Man indeed

82. Eagles “Ol’ 55” (from On The Border)

So this was the song I was surprised to hear at the blues club in Chicago I was at the other night. I was surprised because it’s not really a blues song; Tom Waits wrote it for his debut album Closing Time the year before, and Eagles offer a country version with terrific harmonies. This guy at the club offered a blues version and it was excellent. It’s a great song that can be performed in different ways.

Speaking of the blues club I was at, Kingston Mines, the featured performer was a woman named Joanna Connor. Damn she is an amazing guitarist. I found her on YouTube:

Speaking of the blues club I was at, Kingston Mines, the featured performer was a woman named Joanna Connor. Damn she is an amazing guitarist. I found her on YouTube:

I saw a TV segment about her somewhere recently - CBS Sunday Morning, maybe? - and she is a force of nature.

The satellite radio channel at the bar plays this song (and a lot from this era). I think it held up pretty good.

Last edited:
86. George Harrison “Dark Horse” (from Dark Horse)

One of George’s lesser remembered songs but also one he considered to be among his best; he renamed his production company after it. The lyric is a playful reminder that, at the time it was written, George Harrison was surprisingly considered the most successful of the ex-Beatles.
Dark Hoarse.

George recorded his vocals for this album while having throat issues. But persisted because he needed to finish the album in time for a tour (the first North American tour by a Beatle since their breakup, and the only tour George did except for some shows in Japan in 1991). Even ex-Beatles weren't immune from industry demands.

Just heard this on SiriusXM the other day. The verses are pretty unremarkable but the chorus is MONEY.

82. Eagles “Ol’ 55” (from On The Border)

So this was the song I was surprised to hear at the blues club in Chicago I was at the other night. I was surprised because it’s not really a blues song; Tom Waits wrote it for his debut album Closing Time the year before, and Eagles offer a country version with terrific harmonies. This guy at the club offered a blues version and it was excellent. It’s a great song that can be performed in different ways.

Exhibit A of why I prefer Waits' songs when they're performed by others. I like Sarah McLachlan's version also.

81. Supertramp “Dreamer” (from Crime of the Century)

Rodger Hodgson’s first hit in Europe; interestingly enough, fans in the USA didn’t like it as much, preferring the B-side (we’ll get to it later).

I feel like I probably should have included Crime of the Century as part of my classic rock 100 album list. Just an oversight on my part, it certainly belongs on that list.

Just heard this on SiriusXM the other day. The verses are pretty unremarkable but the chorus is MONEY.
Sedaka's "comeback" in the mid-70s is one of the most remarkable I can think of.

Sedaka's "comeback" in the mid-70s is one of the most remarkable I can think of.
I remember seeing Sedaka on American Bandstand performing "Laughter In The Rain". I thought there was another artist that performed in the episode and was an odd fit with Sedaka. Google tells me it was Michael Jackson who sang "We're Almost There".

80. The Who “Long Live Rock” (from Odds and Sods)

This song has a strange history: originally recorded in 1972 for inclusion on Quadrophenia (though not sure where it fits there), it was cut and then included in this 1974 collection of outtakes. Then in 1979 Pete Townshend released it as a single directly after “Who Are You” and it became a radio hit.

80. The Who “Long Live Rock” (from Odds and Sods)

This song has a strange history: originally recorded in 1972 for inclusion on Quadrophenia (though not sure where it fits there), it was cut and then included in this 1974 collection of outtakes. Then in 1979 Pete Townshend released it as a single directly after “Who Are You” and it became a radio hit.
It was actually conceived for an album Pete Townshend conceived of after Who's Next (called Long Live Rock – Rock Is Dead) that evolved into Quadrophenia. Presumably this didn't fit in with the actual Quadrophenia theme and thus wasn't included.

I feel like I probably should have included Crime of the Century as part of my classic rock 100 album list. Just an oversight on my part, it certainly belongs on that list.
I agree, it's a great album with no weak songs.

I think Dreamer counts as a weak song, no? :P

Honestly though, even though I have never been wild about Dreamer (even before it was overplayed for me on classic rock radio), Crime of the Century is still a fantastic album. Their best, easily.

Honestly though, even though I have never been wild about Dreamer (even before it was overplayed for me on classic rock radio), Crime of the Century is still a fantastic album. Their best, easily.
I like Dreamer :shrug:

:shrug: I think Even In The Quietest Moments is one of their best. Supertramp lost me from Breakfast In America onward.

:shrug: I think Even In The Quietest Moments is one of their best. Supertramp lost me from Breakfast In America onward.
I like that album (Even in...) a lot as well. From Now One was my favorite Supertramp song for a spell in the 90s and would still be on my short list of favorites along with School, Hide in Your Shell, Crime of the Century, Rudy and Sister Moonshine.

79. Pilot “Magic” (from From the Album of the Same Name)

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.

Always liked this tune but never loved it, somehow it has lasted now for over 50 years. Featured on weight loss commercials this last year so it’s even bigger than ever. (It really does sound like a commercial jingle.) The lead singer looks like a chipmunk.
Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely over killed it a bit, but good to see it make a comeback.

ETA: never knew they were an offshoot of the Bay City Rollers

Last edited:

Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely made it overkilled bit, but good to see it make a comeback.

Also in the things you learn department: the debut album from which "Magic" appears was produced by Alan Parsons. His first album as a producer and just a year after engineering some long-forgotten Pink Floyd album.

Most of the members of Pilot, including the chipmunk-looking bassist/lead singer, went on to play on Alan Parsons Project records. Chipmunk dude (David Paton) occasionally sang lead for them as well.

I've heard Magic in at least 3 or 4 ads over the years, as well as a few movies. A lot of royaltys for one one hit wonder.

Always liked this one - will always hold some status among one-hit pop wonders of the decade. That Ozempic commercial you mentioned definitely made it overkilled bit, but good to see it make a comeback.

Also in the things you learn department: the debut album from which "Magic" appears was produced by Alan Parsons. His first album as a producer and just a year after engineering some long-forgotten Pink Floyd album.

Most of the members of Pilot, including the chipmunk-looking bassist/lead singer, went on to play on Alan Parsons Project records. Chipmunk dude (David Paton) occasionally sang lead for them as well.

I don't think he looked like a chipmunk exactly, (although he was a bit toothy).

While Magic was their biggest hit in the US and they are regarded as a "one-hit wonder" here, their biggest song in the UK was January which reached #1 there, while Magic peaked at #6 in the UK (and I like the song as well as Magic).

Here is a live version of January:

Pilot - January (Live 1976)

Last edited:

I don't think he looked like a chipmunk exactly, (although he was a bit toothy).
Couldn't initially place who he reminded me of, but came to me.

Gary Graham (RIP)

78. John Lennon “#9 Dream” (from Walls and Bridges)

This is the moodier John I remember. No happy “Whatever Get You Through the Night” here. Actually this tune sounds a lot like a George Harrison song. And why is Lennon so obsessed with the number 9 anyhow?

78. John Lennon “#9 Dream” (from Walls and Bridges)

This is the moodier John I remember. No happy “Whatever Get You Through the Night” here. Actually this tune sounds a lot like a George Harrison song. And why is Lennon so obsessed with the number 9 anyhow?
This is my #1 John solo song. It's a really interesting soundscape and taps into John's mystical/spiritual side.

At first, I thought you meant this guy.

Good call out though. Turns out Paton played bass on Parson's I Robot album - also didn't know that.
He actually played bass on every Parsons album between Tales of Mystery and Imagination (1976) and Stereotomy (1985). He did not play on their final album Gaudi (1987) because he was on tour with Elton John when it was being recorded. He sang lead on a handful of songs, never more than one per album, including the 1984 single "Let's Talk About Me."

The best way to think of the Alan Parsons Project was the British Steely Dan in reverse. Despite the name, they were the product of two people, Parsons and Eric Woolfson. Like the Dan, they strived for the highest production quality. While Steely Dan had the same lead singer (Donald Fagen) backed by different musicians on each track, after the first album, the Alan Parsons Project had mostly the same musicians performing behind a rotating cast of singers. And neither act played live for most of their original run.

Users who are viewing this thread