What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1976 #1. Foreplay/Long Time (1 Viewer)

34. Manfred Mann’s Earth Band “Blinded By The Light” (from The Roaring Silence)

This British band’s cover of what was then a little known Bruce Springsteen tune became a classic rock staple that gets quite a bit of exposure even now. I’ve always loved the spacy keyboards here- so representative of the era.
Epic song for that era.

This British band’s cover of what was then a little known Bruce Springsteen tune became a classic rock staple that gets quite a bit of exposure even now. I’ve always loved the spacy keyboards here- so representative of the era.
I always liked this much, much more than Bruce's version, but I'm also a bit biased as a non-Bruce fan. Love Chris Thompson's vocals here.
Co-signed. It's one of the widest discrepancies between how much I like the cover vs. how much I like the original.

I always liked this much, much more than Bruce's version, but I'm also a bit biased as a non-Bruce fan. Love Chris Thompson's vocals here.
Co-signed. It's one of the widest discrepancies between how much I like the cover vs. how much I like the original.
Thirded. And it's not because I don't like Bruce. It's that he did the song too fast and tried to cram too many words in there, which happened on several of his early songs.

The Earth Band spaced things out (heh) so the structure allows the song the room it needs.

Thirded. And it's not because I don't like Bruce. It's that he did the song too fast and tried to cram too many words in there, which happened on several of his early songs.

The Earth Band spaced things out (heh) so the structure allows the song the room it needs.
You mean you never hung out with Go-Kart Mozart?

I think the “doosh” versus “deuce” originates more from Manfred’s version if one listens closely.

33. Thin Lizzy “Cowboy Song” (from Jailbreak)

Damn do I love these guys. Here they celebrate American Texas culture as only Irishmen with a black lead singer can, lol. This song rocks. So frigging good.

I picked this song in the "awful lyrics" category of a music draft ten :shock: years ago.

Why it's awful
Thin Lizzy is an Irish band so for them the west is County Kerry but that didn't stop Phil Lynott from penning the creatively titled "Cowboy Song". The lyrics don't really evoke the American west but rather string together a bunch of western movie cliches. I think Lynott would have added in a saloon brawl and John Wayne punching doggies if he could have figured out the rhyme. As it is, he had to be satisfied with Mexico, rodeo and buffalo.

In the first verse, Lynott sings "I am just a cowboy, lonesome on the trail. Lord I'm just thinking about a certain female" but in the next verse he says "I was took in Texas, I did not know her name. But Lord all these southern girls, they seem the same." So, which one is it Phil?

The chorus goes off on some tangential nonsense about rolling over, turning around, spinning and running fingers up and down. At first I thought this might have some deeper cowboy significance but I googled it and all the hits referred to the song.

And that's pretty much it lyrically. There are a couple of guitar solos and variations on the chorus followed by Lynott riding off in the sunset with a hearty "the cowboy's life is the life for me". And scene.

Why I love it

A great hummable hook

Lynott sings the ridiculous lyrics with conviction and manages to pull them off

Lizzy's signature twin lead sound

The part where the beat drops after the first guitar solo. The crowd reaction to this in every live recording I've heard is enough to give chill bumps to both me and my horse.

32. The Manhattans “Kiss And Say Goodbye” (released as a single)

One of the greatest soul songs of the 70s, if not all time. The baritone opening monologue is on a level with Barry White awesome, and then the actual song is vocal perfection. This is so sweet.

Damn do I love these guys. Here they celebrate American Texas culture as only Irishmen with a black lead singer can, lol. This song rocks. So frigging good.

This was consistently their best song live. Love this one.

One of the greatest soul songs of the 70s, if not all time. The baritone opening monologue is on a level with Barry White awesome, and then the actual song is vocal perfection. This is so sweet.

You should be drawn and quartered ranking this one so high.

You should be drawn and quartered ranking this one so high.
Hold on, I'm sure there will be more of these in remaining 31 songs.

31. Led Zeppelin “Achilles Last Stand” (from Presence)

Growing up this was not my favorite LZ song; in fact I didn’t listen to it at all beyond the first time. It wasn’t accessible enough for me and I just didn’t enjoy it. But like John Coltrane and Jackson Pollack, years later I’ve come to appreciate it more and more over the years and now I think it’s a masterpiece. For one thing the musicianship is extraordinary- Bonham, Jones, Page all at the height of their skills. Each time I listen now I hear something new for me. Plant’s vocals are almost a preview of some of the British New Wave stylings of the next decade.

An extraordinary piece of music.

Growing up this was not my favorite LZ song; in fact I didn’t listen to it at all beyond the first time. It wasn’t accessible enough for me and I just didn’t enjoy it. But like John Coltrane and Jackson Pollack, years later I’ve come to appreciate it more and more over the years and now I think it’s a masterpiece. For one thing the musicianship is extraordinary- Bonham, Jones, Page all at the height of their skills. Each time I listen now I hear something new for me. Plant’s vocals are almost a preview of some of the British New Wave stylings of the next decade.

Massive song here - pure power by Bonzo

Love the complexity on display here. Not as accessible as StH but to me this was their peak in songwriting. Great production.

Staple of every live show in the back half of the 70s. Don’t know that I ever heard it in AOR but this is right there with Kashmir as my favorite LZ.

Growing up this was not my favorite LZ song; in fact I didn’t listen to it at all beyond the first time. It wasn’t accessible enough for me and I just didn’t enjoy it. But like John Coltrane and Jackson Pollack, years later I’ve come to appreciate it more and more over the years and now I think it’s a masterpiece.
I had this exact same experience with "Achilles; Last Stand". Even when me and all my teenage friends were rollicking in the late-80s Led Zeppelin revival, this song never got much attention. Another 20+ years would pass before revisiting "Achilles'" and coming to wrap both arms around it.

Love the complexity on display here. Not as accessible as StH but to me this was their peak in songwriting. Great production.

Staple of every live show in the back half of the 70s. Don’t know that I ever heard it in AOR but this is right there with Kashmir as my favorite LZ.
My local station used to play it and maybe one other from that album. But imo it is an underrated tune and album.

That break with the pseudo military beat is killer. Great tune. Probably the best on the album, though there is one more as @Leroy Hoard mentioned that might show up in this countdown.

My local station used to play it and maybe one other from that album. But imo it is an underrated tune and album.

Admittedly I was never much of a radio person, other than King Biscuit Flower Hour. WLAV in Grand Rapids used to play a midnight album. Started out they would play an entire album every night at midnight, after I moved away they switched to one side.

Made many a cassette tapes off the commercial free Midnight Album show.

Admittedly I was never much of a radio person, other than King Biscuit Flower Hour. WLAV in Grand Rapids used to play a midnight album. Started out they would play an entire album every night at midnight, after I moved away they switched to one side.

In L.A. on KLOS, they had a similar show on Sunday nights called "The Seventh Day" that played entire albums. The key was timing it right to get the start of the album. Burned many a Maxell tape on those.

In L.A. on KLOS, they had a similar show on Sunday nights called "The Seventh Day" that played entire albums. The key was timing it right to get the start of the album. Burned many a Maxell tape on those.
IIRC, DC101 would play 5 or 6 LPs starting at midnight as Saturday night crossed into Sunday morning. Or maybe it was 5 (or 6) album sides. In any case, it was a cool feature.

I remember hearing "Achilles..." on that AOR channel when the album was released. It's a good song. I think the radio programmers were desperate for any content from Zep in '76, and played several songs from the album.

30. Joan Armatrading “Love and Affection” (from Joan Armatrading)

Joan’s gorgeous love song is without doubt one of the best tunes of the year. It’s flawless acoustic pop sung beautifully. Really too bad so few Americans heard it back then, or since.

I was the only person to rank this as their #1 Zeppelin tune in Anarchy's Zep countdown. It is absolutely mindblowing and arguably the birth of prog metal.

It may well be my #1 for the entire year.

Growing up this was not my favorite LZ song; in fact I didn’t listen to it at all beyond the first time. It wasn’t accessible enough for me and I just didn’t enjoy it. But like John Coltrane and Jackson Pollack, years later I’ve come to appreciate it more and more over the years and now I think it’s a masterpiece.
I had this exact same experience with "Achilles; Last Stand". Even when me and all my teenage friends were rollicking in the late-80s Led Zeppelin revival, this song never got much attention. Another 20+ years would pass before revisiting "Achilles'" and coming to wrap both arms around it.
My stations ignored the Presence album entirely except for Nobody's Fault But Mine. Which is weird given how much they played from the other Zeppelin albums.

29. Al Stewart “Year of the Cat” (from Year of the Cat)

Always loved the piano intro to this. Alan Parsons produced it. Al Stewart was a pretty highly regarded British singer songwriter, but this is the only song I know from him.

30. Joan Armatrading “Love and Affection” (from Joan Armatrading)

Joan’s gorgeous love song is without doubt one of the best tunes of the year. It’s flawless acoustic pop sung beautifully. Really too bad so few Americans heard it back then, or since.

I love Clark’s Peters backing vocals around 1:40 in; simply sublime.

Some of you know Peters from his portrayal of Lester Freamon on The Wire.

You follow drugs, you get drug addicts and drug dealers. But you start to follow the money, and you don’t know where the **** it’s gonna take you.

Yeah, that guy.

Always loved the piano intro to this. Alan Parsons produced it. Al Stewart was a pretty highly regarded British singer songwriter, but this is the only song I know from him.

Wow…haven’t thought about this one in decades. Chapeau, Timmay.

You haven't heard On The Border or Time Passages?

Time Passages was a pretty big hit for him a few years later.

Probably a strong candidate for #1 that year.

Probably a strong candidate for #1 that year.
Was thinking the same thing - you could have put this at the top and I would have had no qualms. I’ve said in other threads that the arrangement here, especially the linked violin/acoustic guitar/electric guitar/sax solo part, is just outstanding.

This is pretty damn close to a perfect song IMO.

Last edited:

This is one of Zeps best and belongs way up the list. I just had to listen to it again. That drumming. Good lord.

We're in the top 5 already??

We're in the top 5 already??
Too 5 is all Tom Waits. Get ready for it.

39. Rush “2112” (from 2112)

I’ll skip the much longer actual title including the chapter names- you guys can look it up if you want.

So this is the 20 minute plus epic. Somebody earlier thought I wouldn’t include this but why not? It’s a progressive classic. Based on the Ayn Rand novella Anthem and it follows that story somewhat closely, except for that the hero doesn’t rediscover electricity, he discovers a guitar. (For me, the acoustic guitar work by Lifeson surrounding the discovery is the prettiest part of the whole thing.) Lengthy, pompous, epic, at times silly, but all of it is really helped by the amazing musicianship of the three members of Rush, particularly for me, this instance, Alex Lifeson- both his electrical and acoustic performances are outstanding here; this is his moment to shine.
While 2112 is presented as a fictional story about a futuristic world, the song is just as much about the band's fight for artistic freedom with the record company, who hated the direction they took with this song and record (until it did well immediately).

"We have assumed control"

Yes, they sure did.

28. Joni Mitchell “Coyote” (from Hejira)

The link is to Joni’s legendary performance from The Last Waltz. Many people believe this is one of Joni’s most brilliant songs, and that list includes Taylor Swift, Harry Styles and Brandi Carlisle, all of whom have cited it as among their favorites. It’s a complex tune, more jazz influenced than her earlier work, and yet still very accessible and melodic. Joni herself is, IMO, the coyote in a lifelong struggle against conformity and the expectations of the crowd; she will never be a prisoner of the white lines of the freeway.

I am extremely excited to say that this October I will be attending the Joni Mitchell and friends concert at the Hollywood Bowl.

28. Joni Mitchell “Coyote” (from Hejira)

The link is to Joni’s legendary performance from The Last Waltz. Many people believe this is one of Joni’s most brilliant songs, and that list includes Taylor Swift, Harry Styles and Brandi Carlisle, all of whom have cited it as among their favorites. It’s a complex tune, more jazz influenced than her earlier work, and yet still very accessible and melodic. Joni herself is, IMO, the coyote in a lifelong struggle against conformity and the expectations of the crowd; she will never be a prisoner of the white lines of the freeway.

I am extremely excited to say that this October I will be attending the Joni Mitchell and friends concert at the Hollywood Bowl.
One of my favorites of hers, and yes, my first exposure to it was The Last Waltz.

27. The Runaways “Cherry Bomb” (from The Runaways)

Some folks here may rip me for having this selection so high, but Joan Jett and the gang were a revelation in 1976. This is stripped down hard rock as it was intended to be played.

Some folks here may rip me for having this selection so high, but Joan Jett and the gang were a revelation in 1976. This is stripped down hard rock as it was intended to be played.
I see no problem with it.

Nah, it’s too low. :laugh:

My MAD 3 artist Fanny paved the way for this.

Any song featured in Dazed in Confused will get 2 thumbs up by me. Whenever I hear this song I picture Joey Lauren Adams tripping over nothing and falling flat on her face.

Users who are viewing this thread