What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 100 Greatest Songs of 1982 #1. Little Red Corvette (1 Viewer)

36. .38 Special “Caught Up In You” (from Special Forces)

I’ve always felt that this band took the rawer sound of the great southern rock groups like The Allman Brothers Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd and converted it into a sleek commercialized version.

That being said “Caught Up In You” is a classic of the genre with a great hook.
I said it before. This might just be my favorite video of all time. The song ain’t too bad either
Pure cheese ‘80s video - love it. IMO Jeff Carlisi is one of the more underrated guitarists of his day. FWIW, the tune was co-written by two members of Survivor, who I think we may see before we’re done here.
Survivor’s Jim Peterik was doing so much writing for .38 Special that his bandmates were annoyed by it, wondering if he was giving his best stuff away.
His best song IMO is Vehicle by the Ides of March.
Took me forever to know that song wasn't Blood Sweat & Tears. But now it's one that I catch others on.
Has that older Chicago sound also, which makes sense as he’s from there.

36. .38 Special “Caught Up In You” (from Special Forces)

I’ve always felt that this band took the rawer sound of the great southern rock groups like The Allman Brothers Band and Lynyrd Skynyrd and converted it into a sleek commercialized version.

That being said “Caught Up In You” is a classic of the genre with a great hook.
I said it before. This might just be my favorite video of all time. The song ain’t too bad either
Pure cheese ‘80s video - love it. IMO Jeff Carlisi is one of the more underrated guitarists of his day. FWIW, the tune was co-written by two members of Survivor, who I think we may see before we’re done here.
Survivor’s Jim Peterik was doing so much writing for .38 Special that his bandmates were annoyed by it, wondering if he was giving his best stuff away.
His best song IMO is Vehicle by the Ides of March.
Took me forever to know that song wasn't Blood Sweat & Tears. But now it's one that I catch others on.
Has that older Chicago sound also, which makes sense as he’s from there.
Chicago, BST and Ides of March all came out of the jazz/rock movement of the late 60s, not to be confused with the less melodic and more challenging jazz/rock fusion movement pioneered by Miles Davis.

33. Toto “Rosanna” (from Toto IV)

Time for some yacht rock royalty. As most people know, this song was named for Rosanna Arquette, though the lyrics are more generic. It was the band’s biggest hit to that point, only to be surpassed by another yacht rock classic off the same album.

As most people know, this song was named for Rosanna Arquette, though the lyrics are more generic
According to the band, the song isn’t actually about her (even though she was dating Steve Porcaro at the time), but they have played along with it.

Time for some yacht rock royalty. As most people know, this song was named for Rosanna Arquette, though the lyrics are more generic. It was the band’s biggest hit to that point, only to be surpassed by another yacht rock classic off the same album.

I'm a Toto fan even though they were a little before my time.

Their music holds up extraordinarily well IMHO....look no further than the 120M views of this video.

ETA: this video is a little bizarre with the greaser interlude and such

No mention of the prequel to Swayze and Cynthia Rhodes (the blonde) from Dirty Dancing in the music video?

32. Asia “Heat Of The Moment” (from Asia)

And now we find ourselves in ‘82…

I’ve already mentioned that the main songwriter for Asia was Geoff Downes of The Buggles, and this song uses virtually the same verse structure as “Video Killed The Radio Star”- if you listen to the first verse for each song it’s uncanny how similar they are.

In any case this was one of the best pop/rock songs of the year. It’s not exactly progressive rock, but nobody cared at the time.

I’ve already mentioned that the main songwriter for Asia was Geoff Downes of The Buggles,
Not true. John Wetton has a writing credit on every track of the debut album. Downes 6 of 9, Steve Howe 5 of 9, Carl Palmer 1 of 9. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

I've always thought this song was thoroughly meh. Only Time Will Tell is much better.

I’ve already mentioned that the main songwriter for Asia was Geoff Downes of The Buggles,
Not true. John Wetton has a writing credit on every track of the debut album. Downes 6 of 9, Steve Howe 5 of 9, Carl Palmer 1 of 9. Google and Wikipedia are your friends.

I've always thought this song was thoroughly meh. Only Time Will Tell is much better.
Sole Survivor is the standout track on the album IMO. Not a very high bar though because I don’t think the album holds up well after these years. One of the best album covers though for sure.

Sole Survivor is the standout track on the album IMO. Not a very high bar though because I don’t think the album holds up well after these years. One of the best album covers though for sure.
Thinking the same thing. The album was huge in 82-3, but is pretty meh over time.

Never was a fan of Toto.

Thinking the same thing. The album was huge in 82-3, but is pretty meh over time.
I played the heck out of that album but not sure why as I listen to them tonite.

I played the heck out of that album but not sure why as I listen to them tonite.
Looking back, I think the album was a right place/right time thing that got propelled by MTV and that dynamic album cover. Maybe a bit of nostalgia too, although ELP, Yes and the old King Crimson had long been out of vogue. And for many of us teenagers, we had hardly even heard of those bands at that point.

Looking back, I think the album was a right place/right time thing that got propelled by MTV and that dynamic album cover. Maybe a bit of nostalgia too, although ELP, Yes and the old King Crimson had long been out of vogue. And for many of us teenagers, we had hardly even heard of those bands at that point.
There was also the fact that the rotting carcass of AOR radio needed stuff to play, and the pickings for currents were slim since most of the Woodstock Generation artists were done (or close to it). Those channels wore this record out in '82/83.

Oh, I wouldn't say nobody cared at the time about Asia not being progressive rock. Considering the talent in the band, the prog rock snobs took a dump all over the album because how dare these guys write an album full of good songs that are accessible as opposed to wanking off and writing 20 minute songs. Nimrods. Great album, and Heat of the Moment is a damn fine song. I have much nostalgic love for it.

Oh, I wouldn't say nobody cared at the time about Asia not being progressive rock. Considering the talent in the band, the prog rock snobs took a dump all over the album because how dare these guys write an album full of good songs that are accessible as opposed to wanking off and writing 20 minute songs. Nimrods. Great album, and Heat of the Moment is a damn fine song. I have much nostalgic love for it.
Probably many teens like me didn’t pay attention to who formed Asia and just enjoyed the light rock tunes that were fairly catchy. I still enjoy listening to a bit of the Asia album every month or two.

31. The Kinks “Come Dancing” (from State Of Confusion)

This album continued the revival of this band (begun with Give The People What They Want the year before.) This warm hearted song inspired by Ray Davies’ sister was quite a hit in 1982.

I’ve never attempted to rank Kinks songs but I regard “Come Dancing” as one of Ray Davies’ finest compositions. I’m pretty sure it would find its way at least somewhere in the top ten.

30. Prince “Delirious” (from 1999)

Like all songs on this album, the incredibly brilliant and talented Prince played every instrument (though he uses a drum machine and employs one backup singer.) One of the most infectious dance songs of the era.

This album continued the revival of this band (begun with Give The People What They Want the year before.) This warm hearted song inspired by Ray Davies’ sister was quite a hit in 1982.

I’ve never attempted to rank Kinks songs but I regard “Come Dancing” as one of Ray Davies’ finest compositions. I’m pretty sure it would find its way at least somewhere in the top ten.
Said “revival” actually started with Sleepwalker in 1977. FM radio was playing the Kinks’ Arista records regularly. Then they got on MTV and gained more fans.

29. Laura Branigan “Gloria” (from Branigan)

Both this song and the video feel like they belong in an earlier time from a couple of years before 1982: the disco era. Certainly it seems out of place among most of the other music on this list.

Nonetheless “Gloria” is an outstanding pop song which has survived over the decades (apparently in large part to the St Louis Blues, which is a team and sport I don’t really follow.) Laura really belts this one out.

Like all songs on this album, the incredibly brilliant and talented Prince played every instrument (though he uses a drum machine and employs one backup singer.) One of the most infectious dance songs of the era.

Huge Prince fan(like most everybody else).

Saw him live in Oakland 9ish years ago and was probably the best concert I've ever attended.

That being said, this song doesn't even crack his top 20 IMHO. I like it enough I suppose to justify this ranking.

Both this song and the video feel like they belong in an earlier time from a couple of years before 1982: the disco era. Certainly it seems out of place among most of the other music on this list.

Nonetheless “Gloria” is an outstanding pop song which has survived over the decades (apparently in large part to the St Louis Blues, which is a team and sport I don’t really follow.) Laura really belts this one out.

Pretty close to peak Brannigan, she has another song that IMHO is one of the best pop songs of the decade...this one aint bad either.

Never really understood the Kinks...I remember this song getting a ton of airplay and me changing the channel every time it came on. Just not my bag.

The original by Umberto Tozzi, an Italian singer songwriter is even more dramatic and is from the disco era. 1977 to be exact. I covered it in my version of the 77 countdown.

Branigan would cover Tozzi again for Ti Amo. It wasnt the global hit Gloria was, but it did reach #2 in Australia.

Never really understood the Kinks...I remember this song getting a ton of airplay and me changing the channel every time it came on. Just not my bag.
The Kinks have a few good tunes. This isn’t one of them.

I wasn't exactly thrilled that Gloria became such a big part of the Blues 2019 Cup run, but as a longtime fan who never thought my team would ever actually win the Cup, I learned to live with it. :P

Pretty close to peak Brannigan, she has another song that IMHO is one of the best pop songs of the decade...this one aint bad either.
The Michael Bolton one?

28. Michael Jackson “Thriller” (from Thriller)

The album Thriller, including this song, was released in November of 1982, which is why it’s included on this list and not a future list of 1983 songs. However, the single and connected video wasn’t released until a year later in November of 1983. If ever a strong argument is to be made for @John Maddens Lunchbox’s position that songs should be listed in the year they made the most impact rather than the year they were actually first released, this would be the one. However, I made my rule so I will stick to it. 1982 it is.

That being said, it’s impossible to separate this song from the video which was the most hyped and possibly greatest video of all time. I didn’t like it in 1983, or the song either. I was not a fan of Michael Jackson’s music at the time, and it took me many many years to come to appreciate it. (Ironically, the more I came to both appreciate and actually like Jackson’s the music, the more I also came to detest him as a human being.)

These days I think this song is a dance classic, not the best on the album but certainly up there.

The album Thriller, including this song, was released in November of 1982, which is why it’s included on this list and not a future list of 1983 songs. However, the single and connected video wasn’t released until a year later in November of 1983. If ever a strong argument is to be made for @John Maddens Lunchbox’s position that songs should be listed in the year they made the most impact rather than the year they were actually first released, this would be the one. However, I made my rule so I will stick to it. 1982 it is.

That being said, it’s impossible to separate this song from the video which was the most hyped and possibly greatest video of all time. I didn’t like it in 1983, or the song either. I was not a fan of Michael Jackson’s music at the time, and it took me many many years to come to appreciate it. (Ironically, the more I came to both appreciate and actually like Jackson’s the music, the more I also came to detest him as a human being.)

These days I think this song is a dance classic, not the best on the album but certainly up there.
The buildup of this video on MTV was like nothing else. Clip right after it aired for the first time on December 2, 1983.

Last edited:

might need to bump this way up buddy

a cultural phenomenon is not an exaggeration

I realize it's not cool to like the most popular music in music snob threads, but Thriller at 28 is laughable on multiple levels.

might need to bump this way up buddy

a cultural phenomenon is not an exaggeration
If this was a list of songs that were cultural phenomenons then I might agree with you. But it isn’t. It’s a list of the greatest songs of the year.

We’re not done with this album. I have songs on it that I rank above “Thriller”. Actually 3 to be exact.

If this was a list of songs that were cultural phenomenons then I might agree with you. But it isn’t. It’s a list of the greatest songs of the year.

We’re not done with this album. I have songs on it that I rank above “Thriller”. Actually 3 to be exact.

Well, Im looking forward to the next 27 songs that are "greater" than Thriller.

Users who are viewing this thread