What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 2009 Patriots - Drive for the Lombardi (1 Viewer)

Finless

Footballguy
Patriots are turning it on. I understand Denver has a pretty weak defense but they drubbed them in 2007 Patriots fashion. With a cake walk schedule and Cassel getting confident I'm not counting the Pats out...just yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
agreed... it'll come down to whether they get hot the last couple weeks of the regular season and can carry that momentum into the playoffs...

Injury situation is the deciding factor... if the RBs/OL can get healthy i think we are a few breaks away from a SB...

agreed... it'll come down to whether they get hot the last couple weeks of the regular season and can carry that momentum into the playoffs...

Injury situation is the deciding factor... if the RBs/OL can get healthy i think we are a few breaks away from a SB...
Randy?

They got smacked around by the Phins and Bolts and did the same against the Broncos. I'm still not convinced they are more than a good team at this point.

Sitting at 4-2 . . .

St. Louis (W)

at Indianapolis (L)

Buffalo (W)

NY Jets (W)

at Miami (W)

Pittsburgh (L)

at Seattle (W)

at Oakland (W)

Arizona (W)

at Buffalo (L)

That would get them to 11-5. They could easily lose one more of the NYJ/MIA/BUF/SEA games and be 10-6. They should still make the playoffs, but I doubt they go very far. Can't see them in the AFCC game.

I also them finishing around 9-7 or 10-6.

But really, this is a major overreaction to the Denver game the other night. This is still the same team that got drilled at home by the Dolphins, and last week by the Chargers. Plus, Tom Brady ain't coming back to save the day, and they just lost Rodney Harrison for the year. Their mental toughness and good coaching will keep them from falling off too badly, but I do not see this team being a real contender come January. Matt Cassel is just too awful at QB.

They got smacked around by the Phins and Bolts and did the same against the Broncos. I'm still not convinced they are more than a good team at this point.Sitting at 4-2 . . .St. Louis (W) at Indianapolis (L)Buffalo (W) NY Jets (W)at Miami (W)Pittsburgh (L)at Seattle (W)at Oakland (W)Arizona (W)at Buffalo (L)That would get them to 11-5. They could easily lose one more of the NYJ/MIA/BUF/SEA games and be 10-6. They should still make the playoffs, but I doubt they go very far. Can't see them in the AFCC game.
I think it's hard to take much out of Monday night's game. With the early injury to Cutler, Hall's fumbles and a number of bad penalties Denver did their best to take themselves out of the game. I am not convinced the defense is anything more than average.

Interesting exercise:

Ask yourself the question which team does New England have NO SHOT to beat in the playoffs? The answer to me is NULL.

Having said that, I have a hard time seeing them getting out of the wildcard round with Cassel's current level of play.

Interesting exercise:Ask yourself the question which team does New England have NO SHOT to beat in the playoffs? The answer to me is NULL.Having said that, I have a hard time seeing them getting out of the wildcard round with Cassel's current level of play.
There is actually nothing interesting about that exercise at all. That could be said about any team if they are hot...any team in the nfl can beat any other team 1 out of 100 (probably actually alot less than 1 out of 100)...thats a boring exercise...

Interesting exercise:Ask yourself the question which team does New England have NO SHOT to beat in the playoffs? The answer to me is NULL.Having said that, I have a hard time seeing them getting out of the wildcard round with Cassel's current level of play.
I would think that on the road in the playoffs the Pats would have a lot of trouble winning in BUF, PIT, SD, TEN, and IND. Not sayng they couldn't win, only that I don't think they would.

Boy I don't know, one week lose by 20 the next week win by 30. I don't think Cassel can put together 3-4 games against the better defenses in the NFL and I don't think the Pats OL or defense is what it has been in previous years. Having said that with all of their experience they're a team nobody will want to play (particularly in NE) in the playoffs.

Boy I don't know, one week lose by 20 the next week win by 30. I don't think Cassel can put together 3-4 games against the better defenses in the NFL and I don't think the Pats OL or defense is what it has been in previous years. Having said that with all of their experience they're a team nobody will want to play (particularly in NE) in the playoffs.
I honestly think Cassel is coming on. I think Brady started 4-2 when he took over the helm. The guy is obviously going to need some games to start putting it together. He just got a taste of what it's like to do so. Great coaching staff, solid O-Line and a decent amount of weapons. Anything could happen.

I honestly think Cassel is coming on. I think Brady started 4-2 when he took over the helm. The guy is obviously going to need some games to start putting it together. He just got a taste of what it's like to do so. Great coaching staff, solid O-Line and a decent amount of weapons. Anything could happen.
As I mentioned in one of the other threads, Cassel wasn't that great against the Broncos. He took way to many sacks, misses guys that are wide open, and has very poor pocket presence. He was good enough against Denver, but against a real defense he will get eaten alive.IMO, the Denver game is the exception not the rule.

As I mentioned in one of the other threads, Cassel wasn't that great against the Broncos. He took way to many sacks, misses guys that are wide open, and has very poor pocket presence. He was good enough against Denver, but against a real defense he will get eaten alive.IMO, the Denver game is the exception not the rule.
:lmao: The Broncos defense, even with all of those sacks, played about as bad as an NFL defense can play the other night, and Cassel still didn't do anything in the passing game until Champ Bailey got hurt and Moss managed to make some plays and score a couple of touchdowns. Like you said, against a real defense, the Patriots won't be able to run the ball like that, and Cassel has shown very little to indicate that he is capable of leading an NFL team anywhere.

:wub: The Broncos defense, even with all of those sacks, played about as bad as an NFL defense can play the other night, and Cassel still didn't do anything in the passing game until Champ Bailey got hurt and Moss managed to make some plays and score a couple of touchdowns. Like you said, against a real defense, the Patriots won't be able to run the ball like that, and Cassel has shown very little to indicate that he is capable of leading an NFL team anywhere.
He had a 136 QB rating.

Patriots have a -5% chance of winning the Superbowl without Brady or Harrison.

despite the 41-7 beating, I was happier w/the defense than the offense --- that's what the pats will have to ride to the playoffs.

offense will probably remain pedestrian, although for all the people excusing this game due to denver's poor defense, I wonder how many of them picked the pats to light them up 41-7.

that san diego game wasn't so great, but it wasn't all that horrible, either, and there are games coming up against buffalo, indy, and pitt to better gauge where they're at, but right now all that matters is they pick up another win vs a talented st louis team that just knocked off a couple of the better teams in the nfc.

I have no idea if they're considered an underdog, or not, for the playoffs, but being an underdog doesn't stop you from winning.

they were underdogs against the rams a few years back and that didn't work out so bad.

I'll stick w/the pats.

oh -- another thing.....if the pats don't happen to take the division, they just knocked off one of their chief rivals for a wildcard spot, so that was a pretty huge win, weak defense, or not.

edit: are we really 18 posts into a pats thread w/o any smoke and mirrors, chips on their shoulder, blueprints, or crying about how they ran it up on denver??

what board am I on?

5-2, even with a rash of injured starters including their reigning MVP starting QB, top 2 running backs (and 3 of their top 4) and their best player in the secondary.

I'll take that.

Patriots are turning it on. I understand Denver has a pretty weak defense but they drubbed them in 2007 Patriots fashion. With a cake walk schedule and Cassel getting confident I'm not counting the Pats out...just yet.
Never doubt Belichick. He is an awesome football coach. I never once counted the Patriots out of this thing, and I won't until someone drives the stake thru their heart.

They got smacked around by the Phins and Bolts and did the same against the Broncos. I'm still not convinced they are more than a good team at this point.Sitting at 4-2 . . .St. Louis (W) at Indianapolis (L)Buffalo (W) NY Jets (W)at Miami (W)Pittsburgh (L)at Seattle (W)at Oakland (W)Arizona (W)at Buffalo (L)That would get them to 11-5. They could easily lose one more of the NYJ/MIA/BUF/SEA games and be 10-6. They should still make the playoffs, but I doubt they go very far. Can't see them in the AFCC game.
Classic Belichick teams play better at the end of the year. I expect them to be better in december, and if they get in, watch out.

They are decent and will get in the playoffd, but no where near a championship caliber team. Please.

(Unless Brady is coming back.)

They are decent and will get in the playoffd, but no where near a championship caliber team. Please.(Unless Brady is coming back.)
Ask yourself this question seriously: How many "Championship Caliber" teams do you see through week 8 in the AFC?

Misc Pats trivia for the homers...from patriots.com

PATRIOTS TURN IN FRANCHISE'S FIRST PENALTY-FREE PERFORMANCE

The Patriots were not flagged for any accepted penalties against St. Louis, marking the first penalty-free game in the franchise's 731-game history. The Patriots have been called for just one penalty in a game on 13 occasions, most recently on Sept. 10, 2006 against Buffalo. New England's penalty-free performance was the first in the NFL this season and the first for an NFL team since Seattle was not flagged for any accepted infractions against Baltimore on Dec. 23, 2007. The Patriots' penalty-free game was the 50th such performance by an NFL team since the 1970 AFL-NFL merger.

Users who are viewing this thread