What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The 30 Most Powerful 'talents' in Sports Media today (1 Viewer)

If the parameter is just "talent" in sports media- I'd personally love to throw in Cris Collinsworth and Kevin Harlan.  I know they are mainly play by play types- but I very much enjoy both of their playcalling style.

If the parameter is just "talent" in sports media- I'd personally love to throw in Cris Collinsworth and Kevin Harlan.  I know they are mainly play by play types- but I very much enjoy both of their playcalling style.
Collinsworth came in at #17 on the list

That is one bunk list unless I am misunderstanding the term "powerful"

It might not be how everybody would define it, but at least they included their criteria:

Last time we did this list, the biggest criterion was ability to drive broader conversation with opinions.

While that is still the most significant characteristic, the following qualities were also considered (in no particular order): 1), buzz when his/her name is in a headline, 2) ability to influence decision-makers at network or publication, 3) ownership of a beat, 4) equity in one’s own content, 5) how scared would someone in charge of a league be about getting ripped by that person?, 6) ability to say things that would get other people at the same company disciplined, with impunity, 7) how fundamental is the talent to his/her network or publication’s lineup? 8) ability to individually draw ratings and/or readership.

It's pointless tom servo of trying to point out anything to some idiots in this thread. The fact they like Bomani Jones says it all.

Shocking, hear a commercial this morning for the AWFUL Bomani Jones show & what is he talking about....drum roll....RACE....how NBA cities want a white guy to root for. This guy is a joke, how he is on the on air is a mystery...the king race baiter of sports...

Shocking, hear a commercial this morning for the AWFUL Bomani Jones show & what is he talking about....drum roll....RACE....how NBA cities want a white guy to root for. This guy is a joke, how he is on the on air is a mystery...the king race baiter of sports...
slightly off topic but in the wheel house, ESPN was running the hell out of the 2 new SC anchors Jemmelle and Smith and the promo is horrible.  I mean breathtakingly bad.  Not sure what ESPN is trying to do here but I have a guess.  Stop being cute and just give us the sports.

slightly off topic but in the wheel house, ESPN was running the hell out of the 2 new SC anchors Jemmelle and Smith and the promo is horrible.  I mean breathtakingly bad.  Not sure what ESPN is trying to do here but I have a guess.  Stop being cute and just give us the sports.
Agree, very terrible.

Was just going to ask if that cringe worthy commercial hurt their ranking.

This is the feet of clay at ESPN. The sausage factory of lifestyle/debate/panel/StevenASmiff programming that they are cranking out enables them to not pay license fees to major sports. The TMZ-ifcation of The Worldwide Leader of Tebow, Manziel. Tiger Woods, etc. were the legs of iron. Then that landfill seeps into SC. ESPN is getting dinged w/ cancellations and their response is huh? Hot Takery is not sports, but then it's embedded on their site. Dark days my friend, dark days. I was hoping that Fox Sports would be a worthy opponent, but they actually paid Skip Bayliss and Colin Cowherd large bills. Ugh. 

You never noticed how Chicago had no use for the Jordan-Pippen Bulls title teams until they added Toni Kukoc? C'mon now.

I don't how or why anybody listens to this garbage. There are thousands of podcasts out there now, almost every team in the country has multiple podcasts devoted to them. Why would I waste time listening to some fs1 garbage when I can get dialed in analysis of my favorite team? Dumb. 

If you want national perspective, there are tons of great pods for those too. 

pantherclub said:
oy. ESPN is working awwwwfully hard to keep me from watching. i can see these kids salivating in their dressing rooms - they're gonna woke the world when combined they havent the sense God gave geese. oy gevalt....

Richard Marx and Kenny G were on LeBatard this morning, might have been one of the funniest things I've ever heard on sports talk radio.  Marx was talking about Air Korea flight attendants looking like models and Kenny G was playing "Waiting for you in" the background.  It was amazing.  :lmao:

pantherclub said:
To be fair, Jemele looks very hot in that dress. 

Collingsworth is not a play by play guy, hes an analyst or color guy.  Agree that he is very good and I know many people dont like him.  Harlan is a play by play guy and very underrated imo.

Richard Marx and Kenny G were on LeBatard this morning, might have been one of the funniest things I've ever heard on sports talk radio.  Marx was talking about Air Korea flight attendants looking like models and Kenny G was playing "Waiting for you in" the background.  It was amazing.  :lmao:
:goodposting:

Having Kenny G on every day this week as part of a snub to the usual Super Bowl nonsense was simply awesome.

Part of me can't believe I even just wrote that.  It sounds ridiculous, but it was brilliant.

Tonite's panel on Around the Horn: Shelburne, Spain, Fagan & MacMullen. OK, that may not actually be the first all-female panel on a sportstalk show (because i'm still not completely sure that Jackie Mac isn't Bob Ryan having a Tambor moment) but it was sharp, funny, insightful fresh and, without any old farts to defer to, filled w smakyak. ATTENTION WorldWideLeader - get rid of all those clueless, shrinkwrapped tittwinkies and put some real women on your desks! nufced

Last edited by a moderator:
Tonite's panel on Around the Horn: Shelburne, Spain, Fagan & MacMullen. OK, that may not actually be the first all-female panel on a sportstalk show (because i'm still not completely sure that Jackie Mac isn't Bob Ryan having a Tambor moment) but it was sharp, funny, insightful fresh and, without any old farts to defer to, filled w smakyak. ATTENTION WorldWideLeader - get rid of all those clueless, shrinkwrapped tittwinkies and put some real women on your desks! nufced
MacMullen is great, though this particular format doesn't suit her (or anyone else ever born). I rarely watch anymore but, when I do, Spain seems to stand out to me. 

MacMullen is great, though this particular format doesn't suit her (or anyone else ever born). I rarely watch anymore but, when I do, Spain seems to stand out to me. 
Being a proud product of East Coast Bias, and a native of DC I still have to say the best hour of too much sports coverage is ATH/PTI. I grew up delivering the WaPo & reading Shirley Povich, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Wilbon, Christine Brennan and Norman Chad (he wrote for the University of Maryland student paper, the Diamondback before being hired by WaPo). For the record StatBoy aka Tony Reali is a way better ATH host than Max Kellerman ever was.

ATH and PTI are the only two ESPN shows I ever watch anymore, and even those I delete more than I watch (I still DVR both every day to watch/flip through in the evenings).  Sarah Spain is starting to show her age, but she still is nice to look at.  Shelburne and HD TV do not go well together. :lol:  

Being a proud product of East Coast Bias, and a native of DC I still have to say the best hour of too much sports coverage is ATH/PTI. I grew up delivering the WaPo & reading Shirley Povich, Tony Kornheiser, Michael Wilbon, Christine Brennan and Norman Chad (he wrote for the University of Maryland student paper, the Diamondback before being hired by WaPo). For the record StatBoy aka Tony Reali is a way better ATH host than Max Kellerman ever was.
I think we are around the same age. I read all those folks in the Post, too. Remember the Star? I was a YUGE Bullets fan back in the '70s and, thus, Steve Hershey was my fave.

ATH and PTI are the only two ESPN shows I ever watch anymore, and even those I delete more than I watch (I still DVR both every day to watch/flip through in the evenings).  Sarah Spain is starting to show her age, but she still is nice to look at.  Shelburne and HD TV do not go well together. :lol:  
This

You believing that story tells me all i need to know about you, but that has nothing to do with it either.
Quoting someone means you believe them? I doubt it. I don't believe at least 50% of what is in this forum and I don't think that puts me in the minority. But as you said, that has nothing to do with it either.

Users who are viewing this thread