What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Apple iPhone Thread (2 Viewers)

johnnyrock62000 said:
http://www.cnet.com/news/contract-or-no-contract-for-iphone-6-which-is-the-better-deal/

I need assurance that my Unlimited Plan won't be terminated so I'll be heading to the AT&T store when I make the switch.
Any news on the unlimited data on AT&T?
To keep unlimited data you can NOT get the phone via subsidy. You must pay full price for the device (600-950 bucks).
Is the installment (AT&T next or whatever verizon calls it) payment plan on the full price an option?

Mario Kart said:
Looks like I'm switching.

Talked with ATT online. Early termination with ATT is $114 for me. The phone I have ATT will give me $130. I think that is fair. I can then go to Verizon and pay $60 a month for essentially the same plan I have now. I will get a discount as well from Verizon so I think I will pay about the same per month overall.

I will wait to hold each phone to determine which one I go with. I like the idea of the 5.5" but think the 4.7" is more practical for me. I really like the phones in the 5" - 5.1" screen... just in the middle of these two phones. Argh.
Which $60 Verizon plan? The one with 2GB of data or 1GB? I chatted with a rep the other day to ask about corporate discount on the 2GB loyalty plan and she said Verizon doesn't give a discount on the 2GB plan, only the 1GB.
I didn't bring up my job discount to them in person. I did online and they said it should be okay. I'll tell the store the same, that online said it would be fine. However, as stated below your reply on the last page... it is a great plan.

Never mind. Tmo is $100 before taxes for the same plan (10gb, talk and text) I get from att for $122 (post taxes). Doesn't seem worth it after all.

johnnyrock62000 said:
http://www.cnet.com/news/contract-or-no-contract-for-iphone-6-which-is-the-better-deal/

I need assurance that my Unlimited Plan won't be terminated so I'll be heading to the AT&T store when I make the switch.
To keep unlimited data you can NOT get the phone via subsidy. You must pay full price for the device (600-950 bucks).
I was in ATT, they didn't say this.

How do you guys have $60 bills from Verizon?

Mine was always 120. One line, one phone.
Check out the website:Single line plan:

2GB data w/ unlimited talk/text : $60 ($15/GB overage)

Basically it's the $60 1GB plan with 1 free Gb of data. It's a beast of a plan I found while prepping to move over to the iPhone 6.

Talking to some reps, it's specifically timed for

the iPhone 6 launch to steal customers.... It's

working. It's a pretty exceptional plan for one of the big two.
Think I can switch to this after I get the phone?

johnnyrock62000 said:

I am not with AT&T, I was just going off what I've read on several other forums. There may be exceptions to the policy, but a quick Google search will confirm that's the typical modus operandi

Harry Manback said:
Sebowski said:
I guess I'm one of the few who doesn't mind the size of my current iphone. I was open to the bigger size based on everybody saying how great it was, but not sure I need it.
:shrug: I'm fine with my iPhone 5 size.

I'm not getting the 6 because it is bigger, I'm getting the 6 because my 5 is 2 years old and I would like a longer lasting battery.
So just change the battery.
Hey look at this guy! Someone who deep down isn't satisfied with his life so he, for some pathetic reason, feels like taking any chance he can to take shots at a company infinitely more successful than he ever will be! Everyone wave! :bye:
Actually a quick visit to iFixit.com and some basic tools and anyone can change out the battery on the iPhone

How do you guys have $60 bills from Verizon?

Mine was always 120. One line, one phone.
Check out the website:Single line plan:

2GB data w/ unlimited talk/text : $60 ($15/GB overage)

Basically it's the $60 1GB plan with 1 free Gb of data. It's a beast of a plan I found while prepping to move over to the iPhone 6.

Talking to some reps, it's specifically timed for

the iPhone 6 launch to steal customers.... It's

working. It's a pretty exceptional plan for one of the big two.
Think I can switch to this after I get the phone?
Yes

FYI Verizon is granting early upgrades for the iPhone 6....
How? I have an upgrade coming on 10/9 and they told me I could not pre-order and had to wait until the 9th. As an aside, I was in the store on day one of pre-orders and ordered a 6 for my wife who already had an upgrade available. Her current ship date is 10/7. The Verizon rep said they get shipments, but won't know when or how many (due to security reasons, she said), but said I may be able to get one in stock on the 9th.
You are eligible.... It's anyone eligible on or before November 15th! Call back:

http://www.businessinsider.com/verizon-iphone-6-early-upgrade-promotion-2014-9

"As a special thank you to our existing customers, all Verizon customers who would be eligible to upgrade on or before November 15th have had their upgrade dates changed to become upgrade eligible immediately. These customers can now upgrade to any device currently in our lineup, with new two year contract. Customers should check My Verizon to confirm upgrade eligibility."
Isn't it just the 16GB?

how much are you all paying at Verizon? with AT&T I have 3 smartphones with unlimited texting/phone calls and a shared 10gb data plan for $130

johnnyrock62000 said:

Yeah, I have an unlimited plan that comes dues on Jan 5, but they will let me upgrade via the NEXT program and keep the unlimited plan (or take $200 off if I just want to buy the phone outright which is the better deal anyway). I have no idea if they will subsidize it when it comes due though, but there are ways to keep the unlimited plan. Of course the only time I went over 2GB was when I was streaming the WC

johnnyrock62000 said:

I am not with AT&T, I was just going off what I've read on several other forums. There may be exceptions to the policy, but a quick Google search will confirm that's the typical modus operandi
That's false. I'm upgrading on Friday, extending my contract and keeping my unlimited data with a subsidized price. :shrug: Eta: my contract is up and I'm eligible for an upgrade, so not sure if an early upgrade will screw people. Entirely possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
Crazy that Apple still has this impact on the industry despite a declining overall market share...

Record sales numbers that overwhelm servers worldwide... providers bumping upgrade dates and juicing up trade-in offers... Hell some providers are even outright changing service plans to capture huge numbers of users in flux.

Say what you will... no other phone company has anywhere close to this kind of impact.

Time to call ATT to tell them that if they don't waive my $40 upgrade fee then I'm walking to Verizon. I have no desire to pay it for 3 phones, especially since that's the price of an iphone 5s for my kid. We haven't upgraded since the iphone 5 came out.

Time to call ATT to tell them that if they don't waive my $40 upgrade fee then I'm walking to Verizon. I have no desire to pay it for 3 phones, especially since that's the price of an iphone 5s for my kid. We haven't upgraded since the iphone 5 came out.
They will waive the fee w/ no resistance when you call them-

yep, they noted it on my account and told me to call back after I get the phones and they will waive the fees for all 3 lines.

yep, they noted it on my account and told me to call back after I get the phones and they will waive the fees for all 3 lines.
I do this like clockwork. :pickle: Actually heard they were getting tough on that, good to hear it's still possible, thought I might get a fight when I called for the refund.

how much are you all paying at Verizon? with AT&T I have 3 smartphones with unlimited texting/phone calls and a shared 10gb data plan for $130
I am assuming that is 3 phones not under contract. If so, sounds just like mine.

I am assuming that is 3 phones not under contract. If so, sounds just like mine.
it is under contract.. maybe I should switch to Verizon when contract is up on November I hear the coverage is much better but I also heard the prices were higher

Apparently, there is a shortage to ATT specific to the model I ordered: 6 128GB Space Grey

Can anyone tell me what availability is for that specific model from other places?

TIA

I got a 128GB Space Grey 6 on Verizon without issue.. it's in FedEx's hands and I'll be picking it up Friday AM. No issues.

Odd, this is the first I've heard of delays on the standard sized 6.

I got a 128GB Space Grey 6 on Verizon without issue.. it's in FedEx's hands and I'll be picking it up Friday AM. No issues.

I think Verizon and Apple are planning to take over the world together, so I wouldn't be surprised if Verizon customers got their iPhones a little sooner.

Now they're saying I will receive it on the 19th. Only took 30 minutes of holding. :hot:

If any if you are having issues getting one on Friday, I'd try Radio Shack.

For what it's worth, I ordered a 6 on AT&T site on Friday and it said I would receive it on the 19th. I checked the status yesterday and it had a delivery date of 10/13-10/31. So I called to confirm and they said that the online status was correct, so I cancelled it and went to a nearby Radio Shack and reserved one that will be there on the 19th. I had to put a $50 deposit down that is non-refundable and comes in the form of a gift card. Guy said they still had plenty of reservations left. No 6+ however, only the 6.

For what it's worth, I ordered a 6 on AT&T site on Friday and it said I would receive it on the 19th. I checked the status yesterday and it had a delivery date of 10/13-10/31. So I called to confirm and they said that the online status was correct, so I cancelled it and went to a nearby Radio Shack and reserved one that will be there on the 19th. I had to put a $50 deposit down that is non-refundable and comes in the form of a gift card. Guy said they still had plenty of reservations left. No 6+ however, only the 6.
Just called my local radio shack and asked about 6 Plus... he asked which model, I threw out VZW 128GB Grey. No problem. They had them available for release day.

Tiger Fan mentioned this earlier and it's definitely true... Radio Shack is the place to go for stuff that's out of stock elsewhere right now.

Just called my local radio shack and asked about 6 Plus... he asked which model, I threw out VZW 128GB Grey. No problem. They had them available for release day.

Tiger Fan mentioned this earlier and it's definitely true... Radio Shack is the place to go for stuff that's out of stock elsewhere right now.
This made me curious, so I called two different radio shacks and asked about the 6+ availability. Both stores gave me the 'we don't know what we'll be getting in - it's first come first serve' response. :shrug:

I'll continue to just wait my ship date out.

Exactly what I was told this morning. I saw in this thread yesterday a person might find a 6+ in the caves of Radio Shack but no dice: Same story you just reported plus the guy told me his corporate-wide inventory was showing no 6+ available.

This is apparently carrier-dependent though and my info is for AT&T. Might have some luck on one of the other carriers.

The first time I could get to a radio shack was just now on my lunch break. The were out of 16GB 6+, and that's what I want. I'll be headed there when they open on Friday thought just in case. She alluded that they might get extras (like they have in the past)

The first time I could get to a radio shack was just now on my lunch break. The were out of 16GB 6+, and that's what I want. I'll be headed there when they open on Friday thought just in case. She alluded that they might get extras (like they have in the past)
16gb?

16gb?
I know, I still can't fathom that Apple did that. Makes no sense that 32GB isn't the base model. 16GB to 128GB is quite a leap. I'll likely go with the 64GB, just trying to figure out the whole cost of everything if I switch to Next versus my current plan.

I've currently got the 16 and it's all i need. Have the drop box app, so all my pics get uploaded whenever I'm on wifi. Don't keep much music on my phone, only podcasts really. Use spotify app.

[icon] said:
Man In The Box said:

Very interesting. I'm AT&T, and right now show a shipping date of 10/13-10/22.

Which radio shack was this?

Crazy that Apple still has this impact on the industry despite a declining overall market share...

Record sales numbers that overwhelm servers worldwide... providers bumping upgrade dates and juicing up trade-in offers... Hell some providers are even outright changing service plans to capture huge numbers of users in flux.

Say what you will... no other phone company has anywhere close to this kind of impact.
They do a great job of marketing, there is no question of that. Some of that is the kinds of things that do irk Android users, because their marketing team will tout a feature as a brand new thing, when it's been available in the industry for years (and the the fans of Apple will often regurgitate those same marketing lines). And I'm not questioning why people prefer to wait for features from Apple, they do a good job of polish and smoothing out the rough edges users bump into when those things are first being tried.

But back to the point, their marketing is almost always extremely good. Between the "secrecy" before-hand to build anticipation, to the big reveal, then to just the right amount of shortage to make the news (it sold out) but with a quick refill of inventory so people don't have to wait too long that they start to get upset (sure they've messed that up from time to time). Overally, they have the perfect strategy for a launch. Other phone companies could definitely look at what they do, but I don't know how successful they'd be because it takes the reputation of Apple first (from being the innovator early in this space).

Anyways, while I prefer Android personally, I love studying the Apple marketing machine in motion. It is pretty awesome to watch. (And please, take this post as it is written, I'm not trying to be snarky, I'm not bashing the hardware by saying the marketing is great, the hardware/software is also generally very good. I just think the thing Apple does best, and why they can continue to "move the needle" is their marketing.)

I don't take your post as snarky at all. Very well said. As someone who works in marketing I agree it's impressive to watch.

I don't take your post as snarky at all. Very well said. As someone who works in marketing I agree it's impressive to watch.
Was just a bit concerned because of the tone earlier around launch day ;)
ALLL good man. There are a few folks who contribute little but trolling here and are obnoxious about it. You've always been a great poster IMO. Particularly on tech content.

Users who are viewing this thread