What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Draw Of Playing In New England (1 Viewer)

2001: 11-5 Superbowl champs (lucky team)

2002: 9-7 miss playoffs (lost division title on tie breaker)

2003: 14-2 Superbowl (good team)

2004: 14-2 Superbowl (very good team)

2005: 10-6 Playoofs (lost a heartbreaker to Denver)

2006: 12-4 Lost AFCC to Colts

2007: 16-0 Lost Superbowl 'nuff said

2008: 11-5 miss playoffs (lost division title on tie breaker)

Pretty good run for a franchise. The 2006 team was 2 minutes away for the sb

Last edited by a moderator:
The way this article is written, it almost seems as if Bowen lost a bet that required him to mancrush the Patriots for several paragraphs. He goes on and on but doesn't say anything pertinent.

Free agents want to play to play for NE? How is this groundbreaking? History has shown us that teams that are consistent winners and have a bankroll don't struggle to sign free agents. It's not as if New England is the first franchise to ever capitalize on this trend. And, as has been mentioned, the Patriots ability to land big name free agents (which is very open to definition) isn't exactly dominant. Maybe the word "veteran" free agents should be used here.

Dismissing Spygate as an "everybody does it" ploy is weak. I don't doubt that every team in the NFL has it's cloak and dagger tendencies in an attempt to find an advantage, but fact is, New England's the only ones that got caught. If, in fact, everyone's doing it, don't you think the Patriots would've made it their mission in life to expose all the other offenders as soon as they got in the hot seat? Why wouldn't anyone have been caught since? Did they all immediately stop? Prior to Spygate, I was a huge fan of Belichek, but I definitely lost a measure of respect for him in the aftermath. I still think the guy is a brilliant coach but similar to the baseball steroid scandals, I can't help but wonder about New England's past success and ponder what was genuine versus what was "assisted".

Lastly, why is Bowen talking about a Patriots dynasty? Didn't this end with their Super Bowl loss a year ago? This article is a bit dated.

Despite my comments above, I'd rank the Patriots front office among the best. They do a solid job and Belichek, better than any coach in the league, instills a team first mentality. For this, I have a ton of respect and admiration for the Patriots. However, I'm not ready to accept that there is a mentality among NFL teams and players that it's New England alone on top of the mountain, and everyone else begging for scraps.

... and how convienient leaving Asante Samuel off of your lost free agents list. I think that you, being part of the Patriots franchise, may be regreting this one already.
I doubt it very much.let me know who we cut to fit asante under the cap.
The article points to the fact that top free agents want to play for NE .... and some will do so at a discount.Fact is that Samuel would not sign in NE for a discount as the article suggests free agents do.

and do you hear of many Yankee players leaving, at the top of thier game, to sign elsewhere and get paid more money?

Without a salary cap it's a whole different world. You can't compare the Patriots to the Yankees.

Users who are viewing this thread