What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The end of Reddit? (2 Viewers)

I basically left here for Reddit. Far bigger pool of topics / users / information. A big factor in my choice was terrible moderation here, like many others.

I use the Reddit app so No dog in the fight, but hopefully it'll be back to business as usual. Looks like most subs I use are coming back online. 👍🏼
Same here, something hollow about the experience though. I mean it's been a decade now since I saw anyone on here IRL, but I can't think of a single user name I even would recognize on reddit despite being on there consistently for 4+ years.

It's a little strange, it could all be chat gpt interactions and wouldn't really know.

They serve two different purposes. Reddit for me, is to get information and sometimes humor. Not community. Community is here.

That's not to say that a community couldn't form on reddit. We could move this whole thing over to Reddit and I'm sure it would work fine after the usual grumbles and growing pains of a new interface.

I basically left here for Reddit. Far bigger pool of topics / users / information. A big factor in my choice was terrible moderation here, like many others.

I use the Reddit app so No dog in the fight, but hopefully it'll be back to business as usual. Looks like most subs I use are coming back online. 👍🏼
Same here, something hollow about the experience though. I mean it's been a decade now since I saw anyone on here IRL, but I can't think of a single user name I even would recognize on reddit despite being on there consistently for 4+ years.

It's a little strange, it could all be chat gpt interactions and wouldn't really know.
Definitely have met people IRL from Reddit and we used to have a board game group here in Charlotte.

Have noticed your username in r/churning a few times, but that is just because I know it from here.

The terminally online are upset. Are they the bulk of Reddit users? I doubt it.

Definitely not the bulk of users. But probably a disproportionate share of the users who post popular content.
And you know what, that might be bad for the experience. A small group of power users dominating the conversation sucks.

I get why the hardcore people are upset, but this feels like 5% of the crowd driving 95% of the conversation/narrative.
The problem, as I see it, is that a lot of the heavy lifting of moderation is done by bots - subroutines that enforce rules. Things like repeated posting & low-value posts (spam), filtering for content, enforcing minimum account age, and things like that. The routines live in 3rd party applications and won't be available. That means, a hell of a lot more work for the mods.

Which is another problem. Moderation is done on a volunteer basis only. Here is a multi-million (billion?) dollar company existing on the backs of volunteer labor, and it's this free labor that Reddit is pissing off.

Feels like a pretty big unforced error.
Maybe just quit being a mod then? I don’t get this at all.
People do it for free as a passion project - that's it. Also, there is a lot of power-tripping going on here to be clear.
That’s all it is. “I don’t like your new rules but won’t leave!”
Just go to another social media site or start your own.
I’m all for protest, but this too much like people who don’t like tipping “protesting” by refusing to tip waiters/waitresses but continue going to the places they know tips are customary.

Have noticed your username in r/churning a few times, but that is just because I know it from here.
I am ALWAYS lurking in churning, I never saw @culdeus there, but then again, I don't read usernames.

Probably for the best, I always wanna pump him for info, but he speaks in slang and abbreviations, I always feel like I walked in halfway thru a conversation.

Maybe just quit being a mod then? I don’t get this at all.

The thing is, if these losers don't mod, then no one else will. They're nearly the bottom of the barrel, and the company is fully reliant on their free labor. Shooting themselves in the foot.
If no one will mod, then Reddit will have to adjust its policies. And if Reddit doesn't, that's Reddit's problem. This blackout is just a temper tantrum by a bunch of self-important losers that the vast, vast majority of the user base doesn't support.

I’m all for protest, but this too much like people who don’t like tipping “protesting” by refusing to tip waiters/waitresses but continue going to the places they know tips are customary.
I think there are mods who love their community, who are concerned about what will happen to the Reddit they love. Considering they are volunteers, I am sympathetic to them. And I share their concern about what Reddit could become.

Then I think there are power users, who use 3rd party apps to improve their experience, and I really don't have sympathy. None of these people that are upset (mods excluded) are financially supporting Reddit, or offering great solutions to the board on how to make themselves more profitable. The guy from Reddit might need some time in charm school, but if you invested in Reddit, you would maybe like to stop burning money.

Like @FreeBaGeL said, history says this will probably go badly for users, but I am not seeing them offer solutions.

I think there are mods who love their community, who are concerned about what will happen to the Reddit they love. Considering they are volunteers, I am sympathetic to them. And I share their concern about what Reddit could become.

Then I think there are power users, who use 3rd party apps to improve their experience, and I really don't have sympathy. None of these people that are upset (mods excluded) are financially supporting Reddit, or offering great solutions to the board on how to make themselves more profitable. The guy from Reddit might need some time in charm school, but if you invested in Reddit, you would maybe like to stop burning money.

Like @FreeBaGeL said, history says this will probably go badly for users, but I am not seeing them offer solutions.
I guess I just don’t see how just using the Reddit app is bad for users.

As a long-time Reddit user and a long-time user of Apollo (one of the biggest 3rd party apps that's getting shut down), the Reddit app works but it is terrible compared to Apollo. Sure it works, but you can compare it to using a horrible internet browser vs. to your favorite one that has a bunch of awesome extensions installed. Or comparing a steak at Ponderosa to one at the nicest steakhouse in town. It's just a night and day difference and it's not even close. If Reddit wants to kill 3rd party apps, they should just purchase Apollo and others outright like Google, Microsoft, etc. have done again and again over the years.

I also use another 3rd party app called Pics HD for Reddit that is also now severely crippled and will probably disappear as well. It's kind of like a never-ending "Fred and Greg's thread" with all of the best pics and gifs scraped from the most popular subreddits and it's completely customizable as well. I don't think Reddit offers anything like that at all.

I think Google Chrome is the biggest browser by market share these days. Imagine if Google suddenly came out and said they would no longer support extensions and they were just all going to disappear. How many of you would still want to use Chrome? I suppose I will continue to access Reddit after the 3rd party apps are gone for the content that I can't find elsewhere, but nowhere near as often as I do now.

Last edited:
the Reddit app works but it is terrible compared to Apollo. Sure it works, but you can compare it to using a horrible internet browser vs. to your favorite one that has a bunch of awesome extensions installed. Or comparing a steak at Ponderosa to one at the nicest steakhouse in town. It's just a night and day difference and it's not even close
How?
No idea what Apollo does

As a long-time Reddit user and a long-time user of Apollo (one of the biggest 3rd party apps that's getting shut down), the Reddit app works but it is terrible compared to Apollo. Sure it works, but you can compare it to using a horrible internet browser vs. to your favorite one that has a bunch of awesome extensions installed. Or comparing a steak at Ponderosa to one at the nicest steakhouse in town. It's just a night and day difference and it's not even close. If Reddit wants to kill 3rd party apps, they should just purchase Apollo and others outright like Google, Microsoft, etc. have done again and again over the years.

I also use another 3rd party app called Pics HD for Reddit that is also now severely crippled and will probably disappear as well. It's kind of like a never-ending "Fred and Greg's thread" with all of the best pics and gifs scraped from the most popular subreddits and it's completely customizable as well. I don't think Reddit offers anything like that at all.

I think Google Chrome is the biggest browser by market share these days. Imagine if Google suddenly came out and said they would no longer support extensions and they were just all going to disappear. How many of you would still want to use Chrome? I suppose I will continue to access Reddit after the 3rd party apps are gone for the content that I can't find elsewhere, but nowhere near as often as I do now.
Fair enough. I never bothered to use anything else. So like a guy who has only eaten Wendy’s, I don’t know what I’m missing.

They serve two different purposes. Reddit for me, is to get information and sometimes humor. Not community. Community is here.

That's not to say that a community couldn't form on reddit. We could move this whole thing over to Reddit and I'm sure it would work fine after the usual grumbles and growing pains of a new interface.

The up/down vote thing and post churn is a complete different world though. It's way more than an interface swap

I am ALWAYS lurking in churning, I never saw @culdeus there, but then again, I don't read usernames.

Probably for the best, I always wanna pump him for info, but he speaks in slang and abbreviations, I always feel like I walked in halfway thru a conversation.
Hardcore churners left reddit for telegram a few years ago. Haven't been on that sub in at least a year

the Reddit app works but it is terrible compared to Apollo. Sure it works, but you can compare it to using a horrible internet browser vs. to your favorite one that has a bunch of awesome extensions installed. Or comparing a steak at Ponderosa to one at the nicest steakhouse in town. It's just a night and day difference and it's not even close
How?
No idea what Apollo does

Is it really THAT hard to believe one App has a far superior UX and feature set than another one? 😂

I don't understand why some people in here are so hung up on this idea when they admit they've not even tried the second app, and it's painfully clear by the scope of the revolt that it's very legitimate.

How?
No idea what Apollo does

Is it really THAT hard to believe one App has a far superior UX and feature set than another one? 😂

I don't understand why some people in here are so hung up on this idea when they admit they've not even tried the second app, and it's painfully clear by the scope of the revolt that it's very legitimate.
It's not hard for me to believe, that's why I asked, and also said "no idea what Apollo does".

Feel free to also tell me what a UX is

Um, laughing emoji I guess.

The up/down vote thing and post churn is a complete different world though. It's way more than an interface swap
The whole upvote/downvote/karma stuff is all so silly to me. People take that way too seriously, imo.

The whole upvote/downvote/karma stuff is all so silly to me. People take that way too seriously, imo.
It serves a purpose but tying it to a user in perpetuity is the problem.

r/detroitlions has 142K (middle of the pack) and is pretty active. Also, the kids on there come up with some wicked memes to troll the other NFC North subreddits. Couple of the guys do deep analysis type stuff but I find that those kind of serious business types usually migrate to a platform they can monetize once they build a following.

That and a few other sports subs are the only thing I frequent. Cycling, F1, FF & NFL. Oh, and r/reformed, r/bible, and a few other nerd theology ones. Oh, and r/jeopardy - contestants often drop in and let us know how / why they screwed up.

Everything about the protest is over my head and above my pay grade. Couldn't care less. We went dark for two days, shrugged and never thought about it again.

the idea of marking subs and/or posts as NSFW so that reddit can't monetize them seemed like a "clever" idea at first

seems people misunderstood that you can simply mark ANY post as NSFW & don't have to actually post pr0n and mark it as NSFW to circumvent the ad-revenue. or people are just that horny and have no other outlet.

I liked this post just in ironic protest of it.

the idea of marking subs and/or posts as NSFW so that reddit can't monetize them seemed like a "clever" idea at first

seems people misunderstood that you can simply mark ANY post as NSFW & don't have to actually post pr0n and mark it as NSFW to circumvent the ad-revenue. or people are just that horny and have no other outlet.
Bro, if i click on a nsfw post, it better be porn. Don't NSFW-me and post a pic of your lame brisket you smoked and over cooked.

Bro, if i click on a nsfw post, it better be porn. Don't NSFW-me and post a pic of your lame brisket you smoked and over cooked.
That's hot

preach

Users who are viewing this thread