What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Gavin Newsom thread- our next President? (2 Viewers)

Running the Governor of California is exactly the path the dems should not be taking right now.
Maybe.  Don’t know enough about him.  But this would be an issue I would have with the whole system.   If he is qualified and the best candidate (not saying he is), but having to worry about where he is from vs if he is qualified is part of what os wrong with all of it.  Similarly on the R side…would Desantis be as attractive of an option if he was from a less key state?  

Running the Governor of California is exactly the path the dems should not be taking right now.
Why not? We’re running a pretty large budget surplus. I’m certainly biased but California is the greatest state in the Union. We’re pro-choice, pro LGBT, we care about climate change, we’re woke, pro-science when it comes to Covid, we protect our undocumented, and we manage to do this all and still have the greatest economy on Earth. We’re not perfect (crime and homelessness are big issues right now, so is lack of water) but we’re paradise. And now we’re even in the Big 10! 

Why not? We’re running a pretty large budget surplus. I’m certainly biased but California is the greatest state in the Union. We’re pro-choice, pro LGBT, we care about climate change, we’re woke, pro-science when it comes to Covid, we protect our undocumented, and we manage to do this all and still have the greatest economy on Earth. We’re not perfect (crime and homelessness are big issues right now, so is lack of water) but we’re paradise. And now we’re even in the Big 10! 

Please run him...I would love it...it would be the equivalent of running George McGovern in 1972.

Please run him...I would love it...it would be the equivalent of running George McGovern in 1972.
McGovern came from South Dakota. He was regarded as an extreme liberal (for the time) and a one issue candidate: end the Vietnam War. I can’t really see the analogy here. 

If we take a look at Newsom’s views on the issues of most concern to Americans, the majority of the public is on his side, in some cases (abortion, gun control, climate change) by pretty large margins. So what makes you think he would be crushed? I think the odds are pretty good that if Newsom is the candidate he wins. Certainly against Trump, but very likely against DeSantis as well. 

McGovern came from South Dakota. He was regarded as an extreme liberal (for the time) and a one issue candidate: end the Vietnam War. I can’t really see the analogy here. 

If we take a look at Newsom’s views on the issues of most concern to Americans, the majority of the public is on his side, in some cases (abortion, gun control, climate change) by pretty large margins. So what makes you think he would be crushed? I think the odds are pretty good that if Newsom is the candidate he wins. Certainly against Trump, but very likely against DeSantis as well. 

Gotta head out for the day so I can't go down the path but if you think having the left-wing Governor of California who has a snake oil salesman personality (the French Laundry ads would be fantastic) is the path for sucess in 2024 I fully support his nomination...IMO it could not be a bigger misread of today's political landscape but just like George in 72 sometimes you gotta learn the hard way. 

Last edited by a moderator:
Gotta head out for the day so I can't go down the path but if you think having the left-wing Governor of California who has a snake oil salesman personality (the French Laundry ads would be fantastic) is the path for sucess in 2024 I fully support his nomination...IMO it could not be a bigger misread of today's political landscape but just like George in 72 sometimes you gotta learn the hard way. 
Personality wise and how they come off…too many similarities between Newsom and Desantis and it pains me that these may be our choices.

We have got to get better about elevating such people to high office.

Note:  this is the view from afar having not looked much inti either of them enough.  But thus far, Im not impressed with either of them at all.  

Ahh the French Laundry story (for those who don’t know, during the height of the pandemic Newsom was caught hosting  a mask less dinner at California’s most prestigious restaurant, for which he apologized.) It’s pretty much old hat at this point, because Republicans went way overboard and tried to recall him for it- which cost the state hundreds of millions. 

Starting to make a lot of news: 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/07/03/politics/gavin-newsom-ron-desantis-ad-2024/index.html

I’ve never been in love with the guy (always thought he was a little too slick)  but he’s starting to impress me as of late. I love how he goes after DeSantis and the Republican assault on our freedoms. Newsom may be the antidote for the Democrats; we’ll have to see. 
Yeah the left coast elitist that ruined thousands of small businesses with lockdowns and closed schools while facing a recall is going to play well with working class Americans. 

California only has a budget surplus because of the Fed and having a colossal amount of rich people. They all made out like bandits during the lockdowns and paid an obscene amount of state capital gains taxes.

They should apply the surplus to the 1.6 trillion in pension liabilities.

100% Biden is not running again so I guess Gavin has a punchers chance at getting the nomination.

If things continue down the same path any dem is going to have a difficult time winning. I thought Trump would be an easy act to follow. Old Joe will be even easier.

Please oh please Democrats do this. Newsom v DeSantis would so much better than Hillary V Trump again.
If those 2 don’t perfectly define the current state of our country and how far off the path we are I don’t know who does. (Well I guess we could get MTG vs AOC but if that were to ever happen we all better be running for the hills as the end is near)

Having worked very closely with Newsom’s administration during COVID I can very confidently say this is not someone I want even visiting the White House for a holiday vacation. Add that into the plasticky practiced fake politicians grin, his anti-business policies, lack of foresight in addressing probability California’s biggest problem/need (water), obvious hypocrisy and obvious prime political agenda (everything he does is with the WH in mind) he’s the opposite of what I want running this country (DeSantis fits this largely description too).  Unfortunately he’s probably the best the Dems have so it’s likely inevitable.  

Ahh the French Laundry story (for those who don’t know, during the height of the pandemic Newsom was caught hosting  a mask less dinner at California’s most prestigious restaurant, for which he apologized.) It’s pretty much old hat at this point, because Republicans went way overboard and tried to recall him for it- which cost the state hundreds of millions. 
Of course it did - Newsom spent a ton of money sending out checks at the last minute to secure the decline of the recall.  Like you I'm not happy with the blatant bribing of the populace.

Figured you would ignore his inner workings 
I’m not ignoring them. I’ve always felt he was a sleazy guy. Always struck me as a snake oil salesman. 
But on the other hand I like the contrast with DeSantis. I can’t speak to whatever @dkp993 is referring to, but as a Californian I approved of Newsom’s handling of Covid. I think his restrictions saved many lives here that would have been lost if, say, we had had DeSantis as Governor. And of course his positions on abortion, woke issues, climate change and undocumented immigrants match my own. 

Agreed.  Newsome not only is a Limousine Liberal, he's a hypocrite, scumbag and an authoritarian of the highest order.

Newsome is a guarantee DeSantis victory.

I’m not ignoring them. I’ve always felt he was a sleazy guy. Always struck me as a snake oil salesman. 
But on the other hand I like the contrast with DeSantis. I can’t speak to whatever @dkp993 is referring to, but as a Californian I approved of Newsom’s handling of Covid. I think his restrictions saved many lives here that would have been lost if, say, we had had DeSantis as Governor. And of course his positions on abortion, woke issues, climate change and undocumented immigrants match my own. 
Reason #1 the Dems should run from him if they actually want to win.   I think for a lot of the country, even independents, some of the things have gone too far in Cali and of course he would be tied to that even if he didn't directly advocate for some of them.  

Wait a second - NOW you DON'T CARE about slimy characters and family history? 
I assume all politicians are slimy, so not sure what you are saying here.    If you are talking about that one guy, his sliminess was one of my lesser concerns about his character.  

Reason #1 the Dems should run from him if they actually want to win.   I think for a lot of the country, even independents, some of the things have gone too far in Cali and of course he would be tied to that even if he didn't directly advocate for some of them.  
I don’t think people are going to vote over this issue. Not with stuff like abortion and climate change. 

Nominate someone who just gave free medical care to illegals, with the current border crisis.  Good luck with that.

Nominate someone who just gave free medical care to illegals, with the current border crisis.  Good luck with that.
I think it was a great decision; I explained why in the other thread. 

I think the issue of illegal immigration, if explained properly, can be a winning issue for Democrats. Republicans have become far too extreme about this. 

Not this November no. In 2022 yes. 
I presume you meant 2024, which makes more sense than my question about this year.  I suppose it could become a larger issue to the electorate in two years, if the economy becomes strong again and particularly if gas prices come back down.

I presume you meant 2024, which makes more sense than my question about this year.  I suppose it could become a larger issue to the electorate in two years, if the economy becomes strong again and particularly if gas prices come back down.
The two most likely Republican candidates- Trump and DeSantis, are entirely dismissive of climate change. Trump is an out and out denier, while DeSantis calls it “left wing stuff.” I think any Democrat with a reasonable plan (not the Green New Deal) is going to have a huge advantage on this issue. 

The reality is 2024 will come down to PA WI AZ and GA, perhaps NC. You either need 3 of 5 with PA or 4 of 5 without it would be my guess. I’m not sure how much someone like Newsom would help in those states. For all Joe Biden’s flaws, he fit the electorate in PA and WI pretty well. 

Users who are viewing this thread