What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

What do many Republicans and Democrats have in common? They don’t want Biden OR Trump to be the next President. (1 Viewer)

Anecdotally, this is true of everyone I meet, so the poll doesn’t surprise me at all. 

Every conservative I know says that they will reluctantly vote for Trump over Biden, but they hope it’s not Trump. Every liberal I know says they will vote for Biden over Trump but they hope it’s not Biden. 

I can’t answer for the public at large but like I wrote this is EVERYONE I’m talking to. 

Is there anyone who won’t be hated at this point? Tough gig these days.
No but I think Trump took things to a whole new level and we’re still suffering from it. I like Biden but he hasn’t been great and he’s so old…that’s a lot of what I hear from liberals, how old he is. 

I think everybody wants something new, and less polarizing. 

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/13/politics/cnn-poll-biden-trump-2024/index.html

Latest CNN poll: Republicans and Democrats may disagree on just about everything,  but a growing number are united apparently on this: they’re weary of the current fight. They want something new. No more Biden. No more Trump. Let’s move on. 

Oh damn.  This is going to be a problem for they guys who insist DJT controls the GOP.  And from their own liberal propaganda site to boot.   :lol:

They're going to need to pivot to a new narrative.  :popcorn:

I agree 100% and I've said as much numerous times.  :thumbup:

Anecdotally, this is true of everyone I meet, so the poll doesn’t surprise me at all. 

Every conservative I know says that they will reluctantly vote for Trump over Biden, but they hope it’s not Trump. Every liberal I know says they will vote for Biden over Trump but they hope it’s not Biden. 

I can’t answer for the public at large but like I wrote this is EVERYONE I’m talking to. 

I don't know anybody that's a Biden fan, but I know a good number of people that are  Trump fans.  If, somehow, a different GOP candidate beats Trump in the primaries a good % of the die hard Trumpers will stay home. Not all of them, most will still vote for the GOP candidate, but enough to hurt the GOP chances. OTOH I'd guess there are even more "anybody but Trump" voters that would stay home for generic GOP candidate vs Biden.

There's still 2 years before the primaries start but another Biden vs Trump choice can't be worse than an even money bet.  

I don't know anybody that's a Biden fan, but I know a good number of people that are  Trump fans.  If, somehow, a different GOP candidate beats Trump in the primaries a good % of the die hard Trumpers will stay home. Not all of them, most will still vote for the GOP candidate, but enough to hurt the GOP chances. OTOH I'd guess there are even more "anybody but Trump" voters that would stay home for generic GOP candidate vs Biden.

There's still 2 years before the primaries start but another Biden vs Trump choice can't be worse than an even money bet.  

You know this is not true, right?  There are Biden fans out there - go to Social Media and you'll find them.

I’m sure there are people out there like the ones you’re describing. I just don’t know any. 

I have a friend (I’m actually watching the SB with him today), huge Trump fan, has a Trump flag on his house. But he admitted to me that he has it there because he enjoys pissing off his liberal neighbors (not my idea of a good time but whatever) and even he hopes Trump doesn’t run again. 

Almost like Americans are sick of the system and just want to wipe out everyone and start anew.

Doesn't matter who comes next. The results and the divisiveness are fully integrated within the system itself now. Nothing will change.

You know this is not true, right?  There are Biden fans out there - go to Social Media and you'll find them.
Again, many of us who call ourselves “Biden fans” are reflexively defending him, and liberalism in general, from the attacks by conservatives. And most of us who voted for Biden in the primaries did so because we didn’t think the leftist alternative, Bernie, could win an election against Trump. 
But true Biden fans? Of the sort that attend MAGA rallies on the other side? Very very few and far between, IMO. 

Almost like Americans are sick of the system and just want to wipe out everyone and start anew.

Doesn't matter who comes next. The results and the divisiveness are fully integrated within the system itself now. Nothing will change.
I don’t agree. I believe a lot of politics are personality driven, and specific to the candidate. Trump was extremely divisive, dishonest, and to a large chunk of the population, unlikable. Biden comes off as old, doddering, and ineffectual. It is these traits that people are sick and tired of, not political philosophy IMO. 

I don’t agree. I believe a lot of politics are personality driven, and specific to the candidate. Trump was extremely divisive, dishonest, and to a large chunk of the population, unlikable. Biden comes off as old, doddering, and ineffectual. It is these traits that people are sick and tired of, not political philosophy IMO. 
Tim this has been going on far longer than Trump. You've apparently already forgotten how agreeable the GOP was to anything at all Obama wanted to do. This "our side is going to deadlock everything the other side does until our side gets back in power" crap has been going on 20 years now. Even if one reasonable person gets in at the top, they're not going to make a dent in the tribalism game that's firmly entrenched in Congress.

Tim this has been going on far longer than Trump. You've apparently already forgotten how agreeable the GOP was to anything at all Obama wanted to do. This "our side is going to deadlock everything the other side does until our side gets back in power" crap has been going on 20 years now. Even if one reasonable person gets in at the top, they're not going to make a dent in the tribalism game that's firmly entrenched in Congress.
When Obama was re-elected in 2012, I don’t recall any angry people storming the Capitol Building. Sure there was harsh rhetoric (there always will be) but I think Trump ushered in something new and really ugly. I think that when he goes away, it goes away as well. The tribalism will still be there, but perhaps it won’t be quite so vitriolic. 

I haven't been following this but a quick searched showed 44% wanted him to run again in a poll released in October 2021.  90% seems unbelievably high.
It might have been 80. It was really really high. 

Anyhow there are 3 separate questions that can be asked: 

1. Do you want Trump to run again? 
2. if Trump runs again, will you vote for him over other Republican candidates? 
3. if Trump is the nominee will you vote for him over whomever the Democrats choose? 

Im guessing the answer might be different to each question. 

Oh damn.  This is going to be a problem for they guys who insist DJT controls the GOP.  And from their own liberal propaganda site to boot.   :lol:

They're going to need to pivot to a new narrative.  :popcorn:

I agree 100% and I've said as much numerous times.  :thumbup:
Actually no not at all. It shows, again, how ridiculous it is that our cowardly politicians continue to pander to the MAGA 30% (will of the other people be damned). They are deathly afraid to speak out against Trump (re: what’s happening to those that do) and know they don’t have too because the 50% of the GOP that doesn’t want Trump will still vote for him when it comes down to it.  So they acquiesce, thus Trump’s power. His stranglehold on that 30% still largely influences the party as a whole.  

Actually no not at all. It shows, again, how ridiculous it is that our cowardly politicians continue to pander to the MAGA 30% (will of the other people be damned). They are deathly afraid to speak out against Trump (re: what’s happening to those that do) and know they don’t have too because the 50% of the GOP that doesn’t want Trump will still vote for him when it comes down to it.  So they acquiesce, thus Trump’s power. His stranglehold on that 30% still largely influences the party as a whole.  

All over blown because, well, they have to over blow it.  :shrug:

It's yet another much ado about nothing.  Trump loses more and more "influence" every day.  By 2024, just about every one but a small percent will be tired of him and want somebody younger and that better represents the party.

That's a BladeRunner 100% guarantee.  It's a lock.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
It might have been 80. It was really really high. 

Anyhow there are 3 separate questions that can be asked: 

1. Do you want Trump to run again? 
2. if Trump runs again, will you vote for him over other Republican candidates? 
3. if Trump is the nominee will you vote for him over whomever the Democrats choose? 

Im guessing the answer might be different to each question. 

The precise question in this poll was "Q38. Who do you think the Republican Party should nominate as the party's candidate for president in 2024?"

That answer was 50% Trump.  It's not even "do you want...".  49% of Republicans might think they "shouldn't" nominate Trump (over the field) but that doesn't mean they don't want him to be president.  You are underestimating his popularity in the party.  If he runs, he's going to dominate.

All over blown because, well, they have to over blow it.  :shrug:

It's yet another much ado about nothing.  Trump loses more and more "influence" every day.  By 2024, just about every one but a small percent will be tired of him and want somebody younger and that better represents the party.

You can take that to the bank.  That's a BladeRunner 100% guarantee.  It's a lock.  :)
As I’ve said before, I’ll be VERY happy to be wrong here and you be right.  In fact I’d chose to be wrong if I could.  But none, and I mean absolutely none, of the GOP’s current actions lead me to believe I will be.  Their fear of Trump is overwhelmingly evident.  

Re: Trump not being the nominee. I’ll believe it when I see it. Call me skeptical but I view all this non-Trump talk as deflection and obfuscation that isn’t that hard to see through. When push comes to shove, he’ll be the nominee. And he’ll have the same 30% diehard support along with the other 15% that tolerate him that he’s always had. Also, be prepared to hear about how it will be the Libs fault that he’s running and people are voting for him.

Again, many of us who call ourselves “Biden fans” are reflexively defending him, and liberalism in general, from the attacks by conservatives. And most of us who voted for Biden in the primaries did so because we didn’t think the leftist alternative, Bernie, could win an election against Trump. 
But true Biden fans? Of the sort that attend MAGA rallies on the other side? Very very few and far between, IMO. 
 This is probably true, but it is worth noting that this forum does have a poster who while he never comes right out says, "I am a big Biden fan," every time there is a link or tweet that reflects positively on Joe Biden or his administration, he feels the need to post it in the Biden thread.  And I never see him post links that reflect negatively on Biden or his administration.  Someone doesn't do that unless they are a fan.  Connect the dots. ;)  

https://www.cnn.com/2022/02/13/politics/cnn-poll-biden-trump-2024/index.html

Latest CNN poll: Republicans and Democrats may disagree on just about everything,  but a growing number are united apparently on this: they’re weary of the current fight. They want something new. No more Biden. No more Trump. Let’s move on. 
Finally something we can agree on, although I’d trust a CNN poll about as far as you can throw it. I’d prefer a Desantis or other although would take Trump over anything on the Left every day of the week. 

Re: Trump not being the nominee. I’ll believe it when I see it. Call me skeptical but I view all this non-Trump talk as deflection and obfuscation that isn’t that hard to see through. When push comes to shove, he’ll be the nominee. And he’ll have the same 30% diehard support along with the other 15% that tolerate him that he’s always had. Also, be prepared to hear about how it will be the Libs fault that he’s running and people are voting for him.
When you bashed Trump for years, preached how much better your alternative was going to be, then he falls flat on his face like Biden has is it not your fault that Trump is even in the conversation still? I think you are right to be prepared to hear about it, because it is 100% accurate. 

I don’t know anyone under the age of 65 who is a Biden fan.  I’m sure they exist — but every single person I know who likes Biden is over 65.   Most are closer to the 75-90 age range.  My parents love him.  They don’t care that he’s senile, clueless, inept.  He reminds them of their friends.  He’s comfortably buffoonish to them.

When you bashed Trump for years, preached how much better your alternative was going to be, then he falls flat on his face like Biden has is it not your fault that Trump is even in the conversation still? I think you are right to be prepared to hear about it, because it is 100% accurate. 
I hear you.  What you wrote isn’t unfair.   I fully expected Biden to be abysmal — and he’s been 5X worse than I expected.  Would still vote for him any day of the week over Trump…..but there are probably 50+ million choices in America better than either of these clowns.  I hated Biden the whole primary, but thanks to fear-driven, unimaginative Dems like tim this is who we all got stuck with.

I hear you.  What you wrote isn’t unfair.   I fully expected Biden to be abysmal — and he’s been 5X worse than I expected.  Would still vote for him any day of the week over Trump…..but there are probably 50+ million choices in America better than either of these clowns.  I hated Biden the whole primary, but thanks to fear-driven, unimaginative Dems like tim this is who we all got stuck with.
You aren’t wrong here, my position it probably the same but would take anything over voting Lib. 

Unfortunately, it doesn't matter what "most" democrats and republicans want because that segment isn't really part of either base.  The bases are the most passionate and motivated and they provide the rest of us with options, so unless there's some ground swell revolt in the bases, you're likely going to get those two...again.  Then, of course, those who claim they don't want to vote for either will use the "well the other side didn't give me a better option, so I HAVE to vote for...." crap that we always see.  If you really don't like either one, vote third party otherwise, yeah, you do want one of them.  Just be honest about it.

When Obama was re-elected in 2012, I don’t recall any angry people storming the Capitol Building. Sure there was harsh rhetoric (there always will be) but I think Trump ushered in something new and really ugly. I think that when he goes away, it goes away as well. The tribalism will still be there, but perhaps it won’t be quite so vitriolic. 
The harshness of Trump's personality hid a larger dynamic, which is that the new media age and the two party system lead to a representation system which is fundamentally broken.  The slide started with Reagan crushing Carter due to the oil embargo and helicopters crashing in the desert, and the media that came with it.  Currently, the Republicans hold a sizeable advantage in willingness to play the social media game, but the left wing will eventually catch up and then we will all be truly ######.

Jefferson warned us.

The harshness of Trump's personality hid a larger dynamic, which is that the new media age and the two party system lead to a representation system which is fundamentally broken.  The slide started with Reagan crushing Carter due to the oil embargo and helicopters crashing in the desert, and the media that came with it.  Currently, the Republicans hold a sizeable advantage in willingness to play the social media game, but the left wing will eventually catch up and then we will all be truly ######.

Jefferson warned us.
Jefferson warned about a lot of things but I don’t think he warned us about social media. 

Jefferson warned us.
Ah, another election reformist added to the roster. Soon we will be invincible.

Because Stephanopoulos said so?  No thanks. 

This is what you guys aren't seeing that I keep telling you about:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/29/sundaytake-trump-polls/:

"On the eve of the 2020 election, 54 percent of Republicans and independents who lean Republican said they considered themselves more a supporter of Trump than of the Republican Party, compared with 38 percent who said they considered themselves more a supporter of the Republican Party. By January 2021, views were evenly divided, with 46 percent saying Trump and 46 percent saying the GOP.

The latest poll, released last weekend, shows a reversal in attitudes, compared with the pre-election 2020 survey, and a further decline from last January. Today, 56 percent of Republicans say they are more supporters of the party than of Trump, while 36 percent say they are more supporters of Trump than the party.

This is just one data point for measuring Trump, but some of the shifts are striking. Since October 2020, he has lost 26 points among White Republicans without college degrees and 21 points among conservative Republicans. He has lost 18 points among Republican men and 17 points among Republican women. He has lost 23 points among Republicans ages 65 and older and 19 points among White evangelical Republicans.

For years, Trump bragged that his support was near-universal within his party. Tweet after tweet — before he was banned from Twitter — came forth proclaiming the rank and file’s love affair with their leader. He still has high favorable ratings among Republicans. After all, he did restore them to the presidency, if only for four years. But his current approval ratings are not quite what they were before Jan. 6, 2021.

The latest Economist/YouGov poll finds that 82 percent of Republicans have a favorable impression of Trump, including 59 percent who view him very favorably. In December 2020, 91 percent viewed him favorably, including 74 percent who viewed him very favorably."

It's all trending down and yet all we hear in these forums is "TRUMP OWNS THE GOP!!! OMG!!".  That's a fake narrative meant to distract from the disaster of the Biden Presidency.  They (the ones declaring Trumps dominance) have invested so much in "ANYONE BUT TRUMP!" that when their guy turned out to be as bad or worse they had to try and find a reason to distract and protect 2024.

Because Stephanopoulos said so?  No thanks. 

This is what you guys aren't seeing that I keep telling you about:  https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/01/29/sundaytake-trump-polls/:

"On the eve of the 2020 election, 54 percent of Republicans and independents who lean Republican said they considered themselves more a supporter of Trump than of the Republican Party, compared with 38 percent who said they considered themselves more a supporter of the Republican Party. By January 2021, views were evenly divided, with 46 percent saying Trump and 46 percent saying the GOP.

The latest poll, released last weekend, shows a reversal in attitudes, compared with the pre-election 2020 survey, and a further decline from last January. Today, 56 percent of Republicans say they are more supporters of the party than of Trump, while 36 percent say they are more supporters of Trump than the party.

This is just one data point for measuring Trump, but some of the shifts are striking. Since October 2020, he has lost 26 points among White Republicans without college degrees and 21 points among conservative Republicans. He has lost 18 points among Republican men and 17 points among Republican women. He has lost 23 points among Republicans ages 65 and older and 19 points among White evangelical Republicans.

For years, Trump bragged that his support was near-universal within his party. Tweet after tweet — before he was banned from Twitter — came forth proclaiming the rank and file’s love affair with their leader. He still has high favorable ratings among Republicans. After all, he did restore them to the presidency, if only for four years. But his current approval ratings are not quite what they were before Jan. 6, 2021.

The latest Economist/YouGov poll finds that 82 percent of Republicans have a favorable impression of Trump, including 59 percent who view him very favorably. In December 2020, 91 percent viewed him favorably, including 74 percent who viewed him very favorably."

It's all trending down and yet all we hear in these forums is "TRUMP OWNS THE GOP!!! OMG!!".  That's a fake narrative meant to distract from the disaster of the Biden Presidency.  They (the ones declaring Trumps dominance) have invested so much in "ANYONE BUT TRUMP!" that when their guy turned out to be as bad or worse they had to try and find a reason to distract and protect 2024.
Lindsey Graham is who is saying that. Did you watch the video?

I hear you, but….those are still very strong numbers.  He clearly still has a ton of support. Is it tending down?  Somewhat — but from a crazy high starting point.

Very possible that the narrative is meant to distract from Trump.  It’s not always clear to me what the intent of a narrative is.  But you could very well be right.

I hear you, but….those are still very strong numbers.  He clearly still has a ton of support. Is it tending down?  Somewhat — but from a crazy high starting point.

Very possible that the narrative is meant to distract from Trump.  It’s not always clear to me what the intent of a narrative is.  But you could very well be right.
We’re just not going to know the answer to this unless and until Trump actually runs again. Until then it’s all speculation. I THINK, at the moment, that it’s trending in the way @BladeRunnerpredicts but I have no idea. Nobody does including Trump. 
At part of me thinks he won’t ultimately run because he can’t handle the possibility that another Republican might beat him. In a way that would be worse for him than losing to Biden. 

I have a problem not only voting for Trump but voting for anyone that staunchly supported or enabled him. I don't think Democrats have voters who feel that way about Biden.

I have a problem not only voting for Trump but voting for anyone that staunchly supported or enabled him. I don't think Democrats have voters who feel that way about Biden.
I don’t think you are right.  Lots of Dem or Indy voters who showed up for “anybody but Trump” are disappointed by Biden.   Which means it all depends who runs.  I think Biden loses to almost anyone except Trump.  Similarly, I think Trump loses to almost anyone except Biden.  We’re talking about two of the worst candidates in modern history (along with Hillary).

I don’t think you are right.  Lots of Dem or Indy voters who showed up for “anybody but Trump” are disappointed by Biden.   Which means it all depends who runs.  I think Biden loses to almost anyone except Trump.  Similarly, I think Trump loses to almost anyone except Biden.  We’re talking about two of the worst candidates in modern history (along with Hillary).
My point is I don't think there are Democrats who are angry about or at Democrats who supported or enabled Biden. Do you? If so who are they? I do agree that there are those who voted for Biden who are disappointed in him so far.

My point is I don't think there are Democrats who are angry about or at Democrats who supported or enabled Biden. Do you? If so who are they? I do agree that there are those who voted for Biden who are disappointed in him so far.
Yeah, I get your point and mostly agree.  I just think we know now that voter turnout matters — and I see a lot of people staying home rather than showing up for Biden.

lazyike said:

Liberals aren't voting the GOP candidate anyways.  Unless you're telling me your one of those "FBG Independents"?  Because your posting history would completely betray you on that.  Which is why they are called "FBG Independents".  :)

Liberals aren't voting the GOP candidate anyways.  Unless you're telling me your one of those "FBG Independents"?  Because your posting history would completely betray you on that.  Which is why they are called "FBG Independents".  :)
Well liberals wouldn't vote for any of the GOP candidates but I could think of GOP candidates I would vote for. Not any the GOP would have the sense to nominate. Kasich, Cheney, Romney, Hogan, Sasse, Cassidy would all get serious consideration from me while some of them may be more conservative than I care for, they have shown they have courage and integrity.

Users who are viewing this thread