What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Great 2020 All Time Movie Draft- The judging is heavily biased against me. It’s a hoax! Fake news. (1 Viewer)

I'm the only yet to select a sports movie, correct? I think that changes my strategy a bit.

Instead of taking my favorite movie in the category, I'm shooting for the best score and I think I have a nice steal that can leapfrog several other films. Since I tend to like sports movies in general I wouldn't make much of a sacrifice to my roster.

All this talk about movies based on books is leading team GallStein to make their selection for this category.  Here Goghs:

Pick 46.08 - Lust for Life - Based on Book (Category 46)

Lust for Life is a 1956 American biographical film about the life of the Dutch painter Vincent van Gogh, based on the 1934 novel of the same name by Irving Stone which was adapted for the screen by Norman Corwin.

It was directed by Vincente Minnelli and produced by John Houseman. The film stars Kirk Douglas as Van Gogh, James Donald as his brother Theo, with Pamela Brown, Everett Sloane, and Anthony Quinn. Douglas won the Golden Globe Award for Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama for his performance, while Quinn won the Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor.

Principal photography started in August and ended in December 1955 and it was shot on location in France, Belgium and the Netherlands. George Cukor took Minnelli's place as director for the take of a scene. Two hundred enlarged color photos were used representing Vincent’s completed canvases; these were in addition to copies that were executed by an American art teacher, Robert Parker. To prepare for his role as the troubled painter, Douglas practiced painting crows so that he could reasonably imitate van Gogh at work. According to his wife Anne, Douglas was so into character that he returned to home in character. When asked if he would do such a thing again, Douglas responded that he wouldn't.

29th Academy Awards nominations

• Best Actor: Kirk Douglas
  • Actor in a Supporting Role: Anthony Quinn (won)
  • Best Writing (Screenplay--Adapted): Norman Corwin
  • Best Art Direction (Color): Art Direction: Cedric Gibbons, Hans Peters, E. Preston Ames; Set Decoration: Edwin B. Willis, F. Keogh Gleason
14th Golden Globe Awards nominations

• Best Motion Picture – Drama
  • Best Actor – Motion Picture Drama - Kirk Douglas (won)
  • Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture - Anthony Quinn
  • Best Director - Vincente Minnelli

This was a Steiner selection so I am sure he will have more to add once he has some time. 
I just got back from running errands so I wanted Gally to get the pick in to keep things moving.

I don't really have much to add, but Gally will tell you I went through some angst over getting this film. To me, it's timeless and looks like a painting in its own right.  I'm not the biggest Van Gogh fan so I'm able to appreciate the scenes in the movie that Minelli took right from Vincent's easel and not think of them as cheap storytelling. The music compliments the visuals to a t, and the story it tells is compelling enough to draw me in every time. 

Me neither, but I also like my romances with imperfections and bittersweet results so maybe others would strongly disagree with me. 

Maybe that is how it should be ranked, "which books would you most be willing to read?" 
I’ll take my 1-3 points then :D  - but I like some Stephen King and Misery is a pretty compelling book. I get he’s not for everyone though.

I'm the only yet to select a sports movie, correct? I think that changes my strategy a bit.

Instead of taking my favorite movie in the category, I'm shooting for the best score and I think I have a nice steal that can leapfrog several other films. Since I tend to like sports movies in general I wouldn't make much of a sacrifice to my roster.
Unless someone moves out their sports movie to a different category.  This is the risk of this draft.  Even if you are last to choose you may not actually be the only one left...….it's a gamble.....

I assume I know what you are talking about. It was the movie I considered against taking The Hustler. 

Unless someone moves out their sports movie to a different category.  This is the risk of this draft.  Even if you are last to choose you may not actually be the only one left...….it's a gamble.....
You're right, it's a gamble. 
I'm looking at sports movie lists and there are so many good titles. They're a mix of old/new, fun/serious, documentary style/fake sports. Really dang deep.

I assume I know what you are talking about. It was the movie I considered against taking The Hustler. 
There's one that is screaming "pick me!" and am surprised wasn't taken given our demographic.
Todem is slated as the judge but I have no idea what he likes other than video games. I may have to take my time stalking him and make my pick accordingly. :ph34r:

I just got back from running errands so I wanted Gally to get the pick in to keep things moving.

I don't really have much to add, but Gally will tell you I went through some angst over getting this film. To me, it's timeless and looks like a painting in its own right.  I'm not the biggest Van Gogh fan so I'm able to appreciate the scenes in the movie that Minelli took right from Vincent's easel and not think of them as cheap storytelling. The music compliments the visuals to a t, and the story it tells is compelling enough to draw me in every time. 
Good pick there. I think I posted when Kirk Douglas died that I thought that was his best acting performance.

Wait.  What?

Round 45.16  -  John Hughes  -  Modern Director

I really like him better than some of our nominees.  A whole bunch of his movies have been picked, one by me.
No way!  Only you and I left, and you took my pick!  I doubt he scores very well, but he is my fave.  Saving my choice for round 50 for sure now.

Yes, I know I owe 2 picks.  I will make them before the clock starts back up tomorrow morning.  Just got home from shopping, and must drink lots of beer now.

46.12 - March of the Wooden Soldiers / Babes in Toyland (1934) - Children's Live Action

As kids, we looked forward to this every year, when it would play on Thanksgiving / Christmas on NY's channel 11. Good old Laurel and Hardy (pretty sure I'm not spotlighting). Yes, there are a few "meh" songs, but the soldiers march at the end makes up for it. I'm 54 years old, and I still get giddy when they march. Great effect for the time period.

@higgins

Last edited by a moderator:
46.12 - March of the Wooden Soldiers / Babes in Toyland (1934) - Children's Live Action

As kids, we looked forward to this every year, when it would play on Thanksgiving / Christmas on NY's channel 11. Good old Laurel and Hardy (pretty sure I'm not spotlighting). Yes, there are a few bad songs, but the soldiers march at the end makes up for it. I'm 54 years old, and I still get giddy when they march.

@higgins
I have quite a few movies to watch.

And I thank you for that.

Even if I did watch it a while back.
Maybe if you saw it back when you were a kid. It’s surely a bit weird and creepy - but that’s mostly on purpose. It’s a pretty cool “trip” though and the music is great.

• Smile
Reactions: jwb
Hey, Y'all,

I'm working on a screenplay. Are there action movies that include skeletons using their rib bones as nunchuks?  Am I the first one to think of this? 
Pretty sure Ray Harryhausen didn't, but watch Spy Kids II to make sure Robert Rodriguez didn't beat you to it. Other than that, you're probably golden.

Huh.  Looks like I am the last to owe hero. 

ETA:  and Rom/com

Time to find those diamonds in the rough for 10pts+ 

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going to zag instead of zigging -- zero idea how the eventual judge will rate it -- this is most definitely not a great movie with a great/catchy score. It is a good movie (little slow at parts) with an exceptional score (won best score Oscar in 99). The score was written by John Corigliano with solos by Joshua Bell.

46.13 -- The Red Violin, Film Score.

Ebert's review

Brief clip 1 -- that's Samuel J!1!!11

Brief clip 2 -- myy mannn!!111!!

Real story of the real red violin

Intro/main theme

Users who are viewing this thread