What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Joker (w/ Joaquin Phoenix) (2 Viewers)

Agreed

I tried to make the point that homage was more than just the character...it was the show and joker's admiration of the show, which filled a bigger part of plot... A lot which worked.
But did they need DiNero for that?  I feel like they could have found so many other actors that would have been better.  Hell, put Michael Keaton in there.  Then you could pay homage to Batman and also have a funny guy who's also known for some serious acting.  

It was nominated for Best Picture and was one of the highest grossing movies of the year so I think it is fair to say the casting was mostly well received. 

It was nominated for Best Picture and was one of the highest grossing movies of the year so I think it is fair to say the casting was mostly well received. 
That has nothing to do with casting.  How many awards was DeNiro nominated for?

That has nothing to do with casting.  How many awards was DeNiro nominated for?
The Casting Society of America named it one of the 5 nominees for best casting in a big budget drama. We didn't like Deniro (and lots of other things about the movie) but we are the minority opinion. 

As I said, I don't care what they were trying to do there.  It didn't work.  I'm guessing more people didn't see KOC.  So it falls on deaf ears to the majority and in doing so, looks like terrible casting.  Which means, it was terrible casting.  
I know you have strong feelings here, but here's my take on his casting.

He represents in the movie the establishment.  Something part of everyone's daily life.  Safety, stability, family.  Someone everyone knows.  For that reason, casting perhaps one of the most famous living actors in that role cements for the audience that instant connection...you know him...you like him...you respect him.  He's safe.  And then at the end....bang.  Complete disruption, completely unexpected...

Feel free to bash his acting, he was a little stiff for sure but that's how he acts in almost every movie.  

I think he was there for what he represented to society...not only society of those in the movie, but folks watching the movie.  Insta-connection....and if there was one person in that movie most people subconsciously would consider "safe", it'd be him.  To make Joker's "coming out" scene be one that involves breaking that trust, that connection, that feeling of safety...is why he was there.  Again, dislike his acting style all you want and I won't really disagree...but it was effective having him there, having that unspoken trust, unspoken safety shattered, really added (in my opinion, and I'm sure you'd disagree) to that moment and punctuated Joker's utter disdain for society, for establishment, for the status quo.

I don't know if respect is the right word, but he's been a great actor in a lot of great movies. He has delivered many memorable performances and carries with him a level of gravitas. 
Okay. I accept the argument based on the word "gravitas".

Criticism retracted.

The Casting Society of America named it one of the 5 nominees for best casting in a big budget drama. We didn't like Deniro (and lots of other things about the movie) but we are the minority opinion. 
I heard he was nominated for a Dundie, as well.

I know you have strong feelings here, but here's my take on his casting.

He represents in the movie the establishment.  Something part of everyone's daily life.  Safety, stability, family.  Someone everyone knows.  For that reason, casting perhaps one of the most famous living actors in that role cements for the audience that instant connection...you know him...you like him...you respect him.  He's safe.  And then at the end....bang.  Complete disruption, completely unexpected...

Feel free to bash his acting, he was a little stiff for sure but that's how he acts in almost every movie.  

I think he was there for what he represented to society...not only society of those in the movie, but folks watching the movie.  Insta-connection....and if there was one person in that movie most people subconsciously would consider "safe", it'd be him.  To make Joker's "coming out" scene be one that involves breaking that trust, that connection, that feeling of safety...is why he was there.  Again, dislike his acting style all you want and I won't really disagree...but it was effective having him there, having that unspoken trust, unspoken safety shattered, really added (in my opinion, and I'm sure you'd disagree) to that moment and punctuated Joker's utter disdain for society, for establishment, for the status quo.
I just want to be clear since discussions on the internet can lead to wrong impressions.  I just don't think he was a good choice.  If others think he was, I'm not trying to change their minds and I respect their opinions.  And I'm not saying this to be a shot at your or anything like that.  I sincerely mean that.  I was just simply arguing my point.  :hifive:

That's not how it works.  That's like saying the writers of Ishtar were successful because they created a movie they really liked.  That's not how things in Hollywood (or anywhere) are judged.  In order for something to be successful, it has to be liked.  Just because you create something doesn't mean you were successful.  
The heart transplant was a success but the patient died.

I finally watched it tonight and it was much better than I expected. Not a comic book guy or a general fan of superhero movies. While it had a predictable plot, I thought Phoenix and the cinematography were both outstanding. Very enjoyable and a deserving descent into Ledger's Joker. 

Users who are viewing this thread