What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The last Mike Anderson thread of the season... (1 Viewer)

SSOG

The Claim: Mike Anderson would be a top 10 RB from weeks 3 through the end of the fantasy season (aka a "stud"). He would also remain a starter for that entire span, and would not lose his job for any reason other than injury.

The Result: Mike Anderson finished as the 8th ranked RB in the NFL from weeks 3-16, scoring 14 points per contest, averaging 81 yards and a score per game (off of my projected pace of 100 yards and a score per game).

The Saga:

Training Camps:

"I know I'm in the minority, but I actually think Anderson has a great chance of finishing the year as a better value. Denver's blocking scheme seems to be tailor-made for a big strong RB with vision (like Terrell Davis or Maurice Clarett), which is Anderson, not Bell."

-SSoG, July 29th

"I think everyone's is absolutely blowing off Anderson's chances when, in reality, his style is more suited for the offense, his blocking is much better than Bell's (which is important to Shanny), and his hands are a heckuvalot better, too. I have no problems taking this guy in the 14th, because I expect there's a much better chance of him starting than most people believe."

-SSoG, August 2nd

Preseason:

"Anyway, that entire rant aside, Bell has no value in my mind. He never did. He's a 3rd round pick, and I give him less than even odds of winning the starting job. Anderson, on the other hand, is still a steal in the 7th/8th round. He was highway robbery in the 15th, but people are wising up and I'm not able to pull that heist off anymore. Forget Bell entirely, just pick up Anderson. He's got better than even odds of being a top 15 RB. Not bad for a 7th rounder.

"Basically, this job is Anderson's until he does something to give it away. Bell can't overtake him at this point, and I seriously doubt he'll win the job in the middle of the season unless Anderson just ceases being effective.

Besides, here's the one question that Bell supporters just can't answer. If he didn't outperform Mike Anderson in training camps, and he didn't outperform him in the preseason, why is everyone so darn confident he'll outperform him during the regular season?"

-SSoG, August 27th

"If I were drafting in a vaccuum, I would have no compunction against pulling the trigger on Mike in the second round. He answered whatever lingering questions I might have had tonight."

-SSoG, August 28th

"Trust me. I'm absolutely, positively, 100% sure that Anderson is THE GUY in Denver until he gets injured or strings together maybe 3-4 bad games in a row."

-SSoG, September 7th

In Season

"For those who do not own Anderson, Bell, or Dayne, and who want to get a piece of them, target next week as the perfect "buy low" time. Two straight games against the 3-4, two straight below-average Denver running games. Plant some seeds about how Denver's O-line is aging and falling apart, remind everyone that Alex Gibbs, their world-famous O-line coach who made them so good in the first place, left for Atlanta last season. Point out that Atlanta was #1 in rushing last year, so he really was as good as advertised. Let everyone else connect the dots on their own, and then be the first to capitalize and take the Denver running game off of its panicking owner's hands."

-SSoG, September 15th, after a poor week 1 showing by Denver's running game

"Does Mike Anderson have the #1 job all locked up?

In a word: YES!!!!

In three words: YES YES YES!!!!!

In 18 words (and a hyphen): There's a reason why I was telling everyone that he would be a perfect buy-low candidate this week."

-SSoG, September 19th, after Anderson performed poorly in week 2 (as predicted)

"ANDERSON IS THE BEST RB IN DENVER. He proved that TIME AND TIME AGAIN in training camps, he proved that TIME AND TIME AGAIN in the preseason, and he is NOT going to lose that distinction because Ron Dayne had some nice yardage on ONE HALF OF ONE DRIVE IN ONE GAME.

It's like banging my head against a brick wall in here. :wall: "

-SSoG, September 19th

"Could I be wrong? Of course I could, I'm not more infallible than the next guy, but... everything I've seen, and everything I've heard, and everything I know about Denver leads me to one possible conclusion, and I'm going to back that conclusion until it's clear that I'm wrong. Anderson is THE MAN in Denver until he can't be anymore."

-SSoG, September 19th

"I knew that Dayne/Bell would get carries to spell Anderson. None of that is a surprise. If Denver's rushing attack turns into a full-blown RBBC (no RB getting 20+ carries a game or 60+% of the carries), you can color me shocked. However, Denver's RBs have run for 455, and 472 carries over the past 2 seasons. If Denver rushes for 450 carries this season, and Anderson gets 20 carries a game from here on out, he still gets 299 carries... that still leaves 151 carries (33%) up for grabs."

-SSoG, September 20th (Color me shocked. What, did you think I'd just sweep all the times I was wrong under the rug?)

"Why is this situation so impossible to predict? What am I missing? I mean, we can make predictions about every single rushing situation in the NFL except Denver? Why's that?

And if it turns out in the end that I was right, are you all just going to tell me that it was just another lucky guess?"

-SSoG, September 21st

In response to who is the best buy low candidate: "Mike Anderson. In my opinion, he's a top 10 RB for as long as he's the starter, and I haven't seen anything to make me question his status as a starter. Meanwhile, he could be had for someone like Andre Johnson right now. Absolute steal."

-SSoG, September 22nd

"Volatile, Volatile, Volatile. That's all I keep hearing about Denver, despite the fact that the coach has clearly committed to a starter."

-SSoG, September 22nd

"Alright, fine, I'll give you the Cliff's Notes version. Mike Anderson is still the starting RB in Denver. The starting RB in Denver is still a stud. Wake me when either of those two claims is no longer true."

-SSoG, October 11th

"All it would take is 1 game. If Tatum Bell gets the starting nod over Mike Anderson when Mike Anderson is fully healthy, then I will gladly back off of all of my claims and post in giant red letters that I was wrong all along. All Tatum Bell needs to do is start one game. Just one... measly... little... game."

-SSoG, October 12th

"My definition of "stud" is a top 10 RB. And do I think Anderson can average 100 yards and a score for the rest of the season? Absolutely."

-SSoG, October 12th

"I believe the carries will continue to be split. I think Bell is in line for 12-15 carries a week, and Anderson's going to be getting the rest. When Denver runs 40 times, like against Jax, that gives Anderson 25 touches and Bell 15. When Denver runs 25 times, like against Washington, that gives both Bell and Anderson 12/13. When Denver runs 30 times, like against New England, then it's Anderson 17, Bell 13, or something to that effect."

-SSoG, October 21st (I finally scaled up my projections for Bell's carries, because like I said, even I get it wrong sometimes).

"As long as Bell keeps averaging 10 yards per carry, he's going to be a stud.

You can decide for yourself how likely it is that Bell will keep averaging 10 yards per carry. Personally, I don't think it's very likely at all."

-SSoG, October 22nd

"I'm standing by my projection. Again, at the end of the season, I'll post the final results and either do some well-deserved gloating (VERY well-deserved, in fact), or I'll admit that I was way off base and submit myself for public ridicule, allowing them to hang me in a cage and feed me nothing but bread and vinegar and encourage the townspeople to come and poke me with sharp sticks before they drag my half-dead carcass through the streets of the city behind a chariot and finally, string me up and hang me from a gallows until I am dead.

Well, I'll at least submit myself for public ridicule. I suppose that will have to satisfy you all, unless someone knows where we can rent a chariot."

-SSoG, November 24th

The naysayers:

Anyone who claims to know anything about the Denver RB situation is an idiot.
Anderson looked pretty good against KC' date=' but I believe his lack of quickness will eventually cost him the feature back role. I'll give SSOG & Anderson their due props if Mikey remains Denver's RB1 the rest of the season (I won't consider losing his job to injury a failure).[/quote']
I doubt Bell starts 100% this year but I bet by years end as long as Bell is healthy the split is 75/25 in favor of Bell.. Anderson is done dude.. Bell is ripping off the yards and Anderson has been 3.1 and 3.8 vs the same D.. Spin it as a postive or say they put Anderson in to get the tough yards as too why it's lower. I don't care but you are like Fridayfrenzy.. Won't admit that you are wrong.. Maybe a lot of sites that had Bell so early were right???? Keep pimping a dead horse dude.. :thumbdown:
Anyone see SSOG?' date=' Noticeably absent after the DEN game. Just curious to see if he'll show up & admit that he could be wrong after he so empatically stated how the DEN RB situation was going to shake out for the rest of the year, and told anyone who thought the situation was still undecipherable and had the temerity to disagree with him how wrong they were...I'm curious to see if SSOG will sack up after his posturing about his allegedly superior knowledge about DEN RBs and the way he has roundly dismissed all other opinions despite so much evidence to the contrary to his claims.[/quote']

It is time for him to subject himself to the public ridicule he said he would in his sig :lmao:
SSOG' date=' your main premise was that Mike Anderson is the guy in Denver barring injury. That appears not to be the case. Case closed.[/quote']
SSOG: What is your definition of "stud"? Top 5? Top 10? For Anderson to reach the top 10' date=' he would have to score four more points per game than he currently is. To reach the top 5' date=' seven more points per game. Are you predicting that Anderson, in the remaining 11 games, will average 16 points per game? 100 yards and a TD, as an average? If he did so, certainly he would be a stud, but considering that he's done that only once in five weeks, and then only barely, it would seem pretty optimistic on your part to suggest that as an average.[/quote'']
Don't let the facts get in the way of the truth dip####Mike Anderson has done nothing in FF for many' date=' many years- you haven't come up with anything that refutes that. Bell will get the job sooner or later , u stupid MA owner...

...Oh BTW, SSOG is a idiot and should refrain from posting.[/quote']

He (SSoG) is a blinders wearing homer
He (Anderson) has sucked for so long and has never started more than 12 games......Let's see if MA continues to be a "stud" LOL

Props to SSOG on this. If you look back at a lot of those threads, I was doing my best to calm the enflamed masses. You took a lot of heat for your stand, personally I thought you were right on, or at least on to something. For the record, I tried to get both MA/Bell in all leagues. Ended up with both in most, and MA served me quite well as RB2 (and eventually RB1 due to injuries).

Does this mean that there will be no more Anderson threads in the post season as well?I know the off season is too much to ask for...

Well done, SSOG.I drafted Anderson late whenever I could.The superior power and pass catching ability was certainly a factor, however...All I needed to know is that he is an excellent pass blocker compared to Bell. That ability alone for keeping a back's job is so underrated.

Last edited by a moderator:
we had a chest bumping thread a week ago
Not that I remember. An older thread was updated with current results, and I said that I would post the final results at the end of the season. It's the end of the season. Here are the current results.
Does this mean that there will be no more Anderson threads in the post season as well?

I know the off season is too much to ask for...
Not from me. I'm done. I'm sick of all the constant flak. No more projections on Denver RBs.I notice that Ponyboy is online and hasn't stopped by yet. I'm... how did he put it? Oh yes, I'm "curious to see if [he] will sack up after his posturing about his allegedly superior knowledge about DEN RBs and the way he has roundly dismissed all other opinions despite so much evidence to the contrary to his claims."

This is one too many. Good call. For the most part, he was the man, though several shared games with Bell hurt his owners. Now let it go.

I don't admit I was wrong? Then what do you call admitting that Denver has probably devolved into an RBBC? Wouldn't that fall under the heading of "admitting I was wrong", after all the statements I made about Shanahan being anti-RBBC?
Anderson, percentage of DEN RB production to date:Total yds: 47%Total TDs: 52%Carries: 54%Rush yds: 48%Rush TDs: 63%Catches: 32%Rec yds: 44%Rec TDs: 17%I agree with your statement above in which you admitted that you were wrong.Happy New Year. :bye:

Here we go. This will turn into a 228 post thread between SSG and Pony Boy. Why don't you two just pick up the phone or PM each other and save us the hassle? Though, it is such a slow week that we'll probably watch anyway. Carry on. :popcorn:

This is one too many. Good call. For the most part, he was the man, though several shared games with Bell hurt his owners. Now let it go.
And LT2's 17 carry for 7 yard performance against Philly hurt HIS owners, too. Anderson had some bad games. EVERYONE had some bad games. What's your point?
Anderson, percentage of DEN RB production to date:

Total yds: 47%

Total TDs: 52%

Carries: 54%

Rush yds: 48%

Rush TDs: 63%

Catches: 32%

Rec yds: 44%

Rec TDs: 17%

I agree with your statement above in which you admitted that you were wrong.

Happy New Year.

:bye:
First, you're including Johnson's TD numbers. Don't. He's a fullback, not an RB. Mike Anderson has 14 TDs, the other Denver RBs have 6 combined, Anderson has 70% of the total TDs. Also, Bell and Dayne combined for 1196 total yards to Anderson's 1226.Hmm... 50+% of the total yards... 70+% of the TDs... 100% of the starts... sounds like Anderson was "the man" to me. Unless you can come up with another Denver RB that has had a higher percentage in any single category.

Hmm... 9th ranked RB in total points... 8th in points since week 2... sure sounds like a "stud" to me, when you specify that "stud" means "top 10 RB".

So... Mike Anderson was the man... Mike Anderson was a stud... wow, this sounds awfully close to what someone has been predicting since July... jeez, I can't for the life of me think of who...

Here we go. This will turn into a 228 post thread between SSG and Pony Boy. Why don't you two just pick up the phone or PM each other and save us the hassle? Though, it is such a slow week that we'll probably watch anyway. Carry on.

:popcorn:
Nope. He was wrong, he admitted that he was wrong, and I simply agree with him.There's no reason to take it any further.

Nope. He was wrong, he admitted that he was wrong, and I simply agree with him.

There's no reason to take it any further.
A curious position for someone who had earlier in this season compared a person's manhood with his ability to admit that he was wrong to adopt.

Nope.  He was wrong, he admitted that he was wrong, and I simply agree with him.

There's no reason to take it any further.
A curious position for someone who had earlier in this season compared a person's manhood with his ability to admit that he was wrong to adopt.
Some things never change.

SSOG,Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. That is the most elaborate pat yourself on the back post I have ever seen. Will you be my biographer?

SSOG,

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. That is the most elaborate pat yourself on the back post I have ever seen. Will you be my biographer?
I don't know if you missed the entire saga all season, but I took a TON of flak for this all year, and always simply said "If I'm right, I'm going to be doing some well-deserved gloating, and if I'm wrong, then you all can ridicule me."I was right. Gloat gloat gloat.

SSOG,

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut. That is the most elaborate pat yourself on the back post I have ever seen. Will you be my biographer?
Someone like SSOG could probably cure cancer if he put as much effort into that research, instead of the effort to gain acceptance and cred with a Mike Anderson prediction. What he doesn't understand is that people notice things without having to be reminded of it. That somehow lessens the perception. I think a lot of us could do less of the "I told you so" mentality. I've been guilty of it in the past also.

SSOG,

Someone like SSOG could probably cure cancer if he put as much effort into that research, instead of the effort to gain acceptance and cred with a Mike Anderson prediction. What he doesn't understand is that people notice things without having to be reminded of it. That somehow lessens the perception. I think a lot of us could do less of the "I told you so" mentality. I've been guilty of it in the past also.
Come on, do you mean to suggest that if Mike Anderson HADN'T finished in the top 10, that I wouldn't hear it from the rest of the boards every time I posted for at LEAST the next 6 months? I don't buy it, because I couldn't even get through a month during the season without someone bringing up my name and my "idiotic" Mike Anderson = Stud claim.Anyway, this never started with me trying to gain acceptance, this started with me making a simple prediction, and then being forced to defend that simple prediction from overwhelming masses over the course of the season. If no one had ever made such a big deal about it, I never would have either.

SSOG,

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.  That is the most elaborate pat yourself on the back post I have ever seen.  Will you be my biographer?
I don't know if you missed the entire saga all season, but I took a TON of flak for this all year, and always simply said "If I'm right, I'm going to be doing some well-deserved gloating, and if I'm wrong, then you all can ridicule me."I was right. Gloat gloat gloat.
I didn't miss the saga. It was a very good call on your part SSOG. I was just amazed at the time you put into your gloat. I've made good calls and very bad calls on my player predictions...but never had the ambition to put that much work into a gloat post.

It always feels good to stick with your instincts and be proven right. :D I couldn't believe all the complaining about Anderson I saw on the boards in recent weeks. I used the guy every week but one and was thrilled with his stats. The one week I didn't start him, I thought Tatum was taking over the lead and MA proved me wrong with 120 yards and a TD. I didn't make the same mistake again after that. Compared to the other RBs I drafted - McAllister and Martin or traded for Jamal and Keven Jones, he was a stud all year!

I didn't miss the saga. It was a very good call on your part SSOG. I was just amazed at the time you put into your gloat. I've made good calls and very bad calls on my player predictions...but never had the ambition to put that much work into a gloat post.
Haha, yeah, but I put a lot of time into all of my posts. It's not like this one was longer than any of a dozen posts I made defending Anderson during the season.

Good Stuff. :yes:This is what makes FBG just about the best fantasy sports forum around :thumbup: to everyone for staying civil even though this is nothing more than a brag-and-posturing thread.Good stuff, and great call on Anderson though :yes:

Come on, do you mean to suggest that if Mike Anderson HADN'T finished in the top 10, that I wouldn't hear it from the rest of the boards every time I posted for at LEAST the next 6 months? I don't buy it, because I couldn't even get through a month during the season without someone bringing up my name and my "idiotic" Mike Anderson = Stud claim.

Anyway, this never started with me trying to gain acceptance, this started with me making a simple prediction, and then being forced to defend that simple prediction from overwhelming masses over the course of the season. If no one had ever made such a big deal about it, I never would have either.
One might be able to say you were fortunate that a lot of backs weren't able to play 15 games.
Code:
 1 Alexander,Shaun      SEA 15   0  0  0  0  0 1807   350    26   0    78    15   1 350.5 23.37  2 Tomlinson,Ladainian  SD  15  47  4  3  3  0 1372   321    17   1   366    50   2 302.2 20.15  3 Johnson,Larry        KC  15   0  0  0  0  0 1549   310    17   3   322    31   1 295.1 19.67  4 Barber,Tiki          NYG 15   0  1  0  0  0 1657   329     8   1   470    48   2 272.7 18.18  5 James,Edgerrin       IND 15   0  0  0  0  0 1506   360    13   1   337    44   1 268.3 17.89  6 Jordan,Lamont        OAK 14   0  0  0  0  0 1025   272     9   1   563    70   2 224.8 16.06  7 Holmes,Priest        KC   7   0  0  0  0  0  451   119     6   0   197    21   1 106.8 15.26  8 Davis,Domanick       HOU 11   0  1  0  0  0  976   230     2   1   337    39   4 167.3 15.21  9 Johnson,Rudi         CIN 15   0  0  0  0  0 1440   327    12   0    91    22   0 225.1 15.01 10 Portis,Clinton       WAS 15  17  2  1  1  0 1404   325     9   2   211    29   0 220.4 14.69 11 Dillon,Corey         NE  12   0  0  0  0  0  733   209    12   1   181    22   1 169.4 14.12 12 Jones,Thomas         CHI 14   0  0  0  0  0 1273   302     9   2   143    26   0 195.6 13.97 13 Westbrook,Brian      PHI 12   0  0  0  0  0  614   157     3   0   616    61   4 165.0 13.75 14 Gado,Samkon          GB   8   0  1  0  0  0  582   143     6   1    77    10   1 107.9 13.49 15 Anderson,Mike        DEN 15   0  0  0  0  0 1014   239    12   2   212    18   1 200.6 13.37

Come on, do you mean to suggest that if Mike Anderson HADN'T finished in the top 10, that I wouldn't hear it from the rest of the boards every time I posted for at LEAST the next 6 months? I don't buy it, because I couldn't even get through a month during the season without someone bringing up my name and my "idiotic" Mike Anderson = Stud claim.

Anyway, this never started with me trying to gain acceptance, this started with me making a simple prediction, and then being forced to defend that simple prediction from overwhelming masses over the course of the season. If no one had ever made such a big deal about it, I never would have either.
One might be able to say you were fortunate that a lot of backs weren't able to play 15 games.
 1 Alexander,Shaun      SEA 15   0  0  0  0  0 1807   350    26   0    78    15   1 350.5 23.37  2 Tomlinson,Ladainian  SD  15  47  4  3  3  0 1372   321    17   1   366    50   2 302.2 20.15  3 Johnson,Larry        KC  15   0  0  0  0  0 1549   310    17   3   322    31   1 295.1 19.67  4 Barber,Tiki          NYG 15   0  1  0  0  0 1657   329     8   1   470    48   2 272.7 18.18  5 James,Edgerrin       IND 15   0  0  0  0  0 1506   360    13   1   337    44   1 268.3 17.89  6 Jordan,Lamont        OAK 14   0  0  0  0  0 1025   272     9   1   563    70   2 224.8 16.06  7 Holmes,Priest        KC   7   0  0  0  0  0  451   119     6   0   197    21   1 106.8 15.26  8 Davis,Domanick       HOU 11   0  1  0  0  0  976   230     2   1   337    39   4 167.3 15.21  9 Johnson,Rudi         CIN 15   0  0  0  0  0 1440   327    12   0    91    22   0 225.1 15.01 10 Portis,Clinton       WAS 15  17  2  1  1  0 1404   325     9   2   211    29   0 220.4 14.69 11 Dillon,Corey         NE  12   0  0  0  0  0  733   209    12   1   181    22   1 169.4 14.12 12 Jones,Thomas         CHI 14   0  0  0  0  0 1273   302     9   2   143    26   0 195.6 13.97 13 Westbrook,Brian      PHI 12   0  0  0  0  0  614   157     3   0   616    61   4 165.0 13.75 14 Gado,Samkon          GB   8   0  1  0  0  0  582   143     6   1    77    10   1 107.9 13.49 15 Anderson,Mike        DEN 15   0  0  0  0  0 1014   239    12   2   212    18   1 200.6 13.37
Well, durability is an important factor to take into account when deciding which RBs to draft, so... just sayin'. Give him some credit. Seriously. He took a ton of crap for this and stuck to his guns all along.

It amazes me that Pony Boy won't man up and give him credit.

1 Alexander,Shaun SEA 15 0 0 0 0 0 1807 350 26 0 78 15 1 350.5 23.37 2 Tomlinson,Ladainian SD 15 47 4 3 3 0 1372 321 17 1 366 50 2 302.2 20.15 3 Johnson,Larry KC 15 0 0 0 0 0 1549 310 17 3 322 31 1 295.1 19.67 4 Barber,Tiki NYG 15 0 1 0 0 0 1657 329 8 1 470 48 2 272.7 18.18 5 James,Edgerrin IND 15 0 0 0 0 0 1506 360 13 1 337 44 1 268.3 17.89 6 Jordan,Lamont OAK 14 0 0 0 0 0 1025 272 9 1 563 70 2 224.8 16.06 7 Holmes,Priest KC 7 0 0 0 0 0 451 119 6 0 197 21 1 106.8 15.26 8 Davis,Domanick HOU 11 0 1 0 0 0 976 230 2 1 337 39 4 167.3 15.21 9 Johnson,Rudi CIN 15 0 0 0 0 0 1440 327 12 0 91 22 0 225.1 15.01 10 Portis,Clinton WAS 15 17 2 1 1 0 1404 325 9 2 211 29 0 220.4 14.69 11 Dillon,Corey NE 12 0 0 0 0 0 733 209 12 1 181 22 1 169.4 14.12 12 Jones,Thomas CHI 14 0 0 0 0 0 1273 302 9 2 143 26 0 195.6 13.97 13 Westbrook,Brian PHI 12 0 0 0 0 0 614 157 3 0 616 61 4 165.0 13.75 14 Gado,Samkon GB 8 0 1 0 0 0 582 143 6 1 77 10 1 107.9 13.49 15 Anderson,Mike DEN 15 0 0 0 0 0 1014 239 12 2 212 18 1 200.6 13.37
Fair enough. So I ask you: who would you have rather had as your RB2 this season, Priest Holmes, Brian Westbrook, Samkon Gado, or Mike Anderson?Besides, you must have missed my assertion. My assertion was that FROM WEEK 3 FORWARD Mike Anderson was a stud. And FROM WEEK 3 FORWARD Mike Anderson scored 15.17 points per game, still good enough for 9th on that list. And when you take into account that both DomDavis and Priest Holmes only scored MARGINALLY more than Anderson (both less than .1 a game more), and Anderson played 4-7 games more, I don't think many people would argue with ranking Anderson ahead of both Holmes and Davis.

I wasn't fortunate to have all of the better RBs get hurt. Anderson was still a top-10 RB over the span specified if you leave those RBs in the mix.

A well deserved congrats to SSOG. As far as I'm concerned, SSOG can start a dozen of these kind of wrap up posts for all the flak he took throughout the year. As for Pony Boy, I won't give much credibility to anything he has to say on this board after his few comments in this thread. Anyway, thanks SSOG. Keep the great Broncos' (and FF) info coming in 2006.

SSOG,

Even a blind squirrel occasionally finds a nut.  That is the most elaborate pat yourself on the back post I have ever seen.  Will you be my biographer?
all season? cmon ITYM all offseason if anything.Were you the only one that leaned toward Anderson over Bell? This thread seems to all but state that

SSOG,

I knew Antonio Gates was going to own last year :)

Is it possible that Bell winds up as the starter, and is the guy to get 250 carries? Sure. I put it as a 60/40 shot in Anderson's favor (although another 2 preseason games as the starter and it's more like an 80/20 shot). The difference is that Bell comes with a 3rd round price tag, and Anderson comes with an 8th round price tag. Or, if people had actually listened to me instead of making fun of me a couple of months ago, he could have come with an 18th round price tag.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ic=177557&st=35
Is it the fact that he's rushed for 1500 yards? Is it the fact that he's running better than Bell so far this preseason? Is it the fact that his running style between the tackles is FAR better suited to Denver's cut-blocking scheme? Is it the fact that he has better vision than Bell and always runs for positive yardage, which is the #1 trait that the coaches look for in an RB? Is it the fact that Anderson is being billed as the answer to Denver's struggles in short yardage and the red zone? Yeah, any one of these indicators on its own looks pretty harmless, but taken as a whole, I agree. The only logical conclusion is that Anderson is very likely to do what he has never done before in his career and string together a series of bad games, only to be replaced and outperformed by a guy who hasn't managed to replace or outperform him yet.
same link

I still think it was more ammusing when the majority of people insisted that Mike Anderson was a fullback.. he got hurt.. and then Drougns (the fullback) went off after Bell and mini me failed to get the job done.If Skeletor can find somebody better than Clarrett and Dayne this offseason thats my guy because of the system. But I must say his judgement of Rb talent has been lacking recently.

It amazes me that Pony Boy won't man up and give him credit.
As for Pony Boy, I won't give much credibility to anything he has to say on this board after his few comments in this thread.
That's patently :bs: from the worshippers at SSOG’s altar.SSOG ran his mouth for the entire preseason & half a regular season stating that DEN would never use a RBBC and that Anderson would get the lion's share of the work, and then called anyone who had the temerity to disagree with him, despite all the hard evidence to the contrary, morons who didn't understand the first thing about football.

Not only did he misdiagnose the situation - only an irrational person would disagree that Shanahan ran a RBBC - but he was incredibly demeaning & abrasive in doing so while remaining in complete denial for half the season. SSOG only landed his prediction because he didn't use ppg stats - Anderson's production was equivalent to that of a decent to good #2 FF RB, and that's coming from an Anderson owner who was elated to get that kind of production from a 9th round pick. When you started Anderson, there was no way to know whether he'd get you 20 carries, 120 yds, & 2 TDs while he was the workhorse; or whether he'd get 12 carries, 40 yds, & no TDs while Bell or Dayne took over production-wise.

Anderson was wildly inconsistent. He literally followed a 36 FF pt week with a 3.5 FF pt week. How'd his 21 yds rushing, 0 yds rec, & 0 TDs in week 14 help his owners in their FF playoffs? His production was more consistent with that of a FF WR rather than a FF RB.

Shanahan played the situation masterfully in his use of RBs - for the success of the Broncos. SSOG was way off target, and its well documented here. Hey, if some here want to call him a genius & think he's got his finger on the pulse of the Broncos, more power to them. But his braying here is completely consistent with his personality, his willingness to overlook his previous statements as never having occurred in his mind, and IMNSHO ridiculously ironic & absurd.

I made up my mind not to get involved in a war of words in this thread, but getting called out by SSOG's psychophants is utter nonsense. Enough said. I'm done with this.

Anderson's production was equivalent to that of a decent to good #2 FF RB

Anderson was wildly inconsistent. He literally followed a 36 FF pt week with a 3.5 FF pt week.
Your first point about Anderson's production would only be valid for eight team leagues considering that Anderson was the #9 ranked RB in systems using 1 pt each 10 yards & 6 TD (that's solid RB1 territory) and he was ranked #12 in decimal scoring leagues with PPR, which is still RB1 in larger leagues.Your second point about consistency is ridiculous. Portis followed up a 30 point week with a five point effort and even Alexander and LT had some days with single digit point production.

Anyone who drafted MA got tremendous value based on his pre-season ADP.

Your first point about Anderson's production would only be valid for eight team leagues considering that Anderson was the #9 ranked RB in systems using 1 pt each 10 yards & 6 TD (that's solid RB1 territory) and he was ranked #12 in decimal scoring leagues with PPR, which is still RB1 in larger leagues.
Not in ppw rankings. He came in around #15 or #16 in FF points per week. That's #2 RB range in all but very large leagues.And I stated in preseason, in the regular season, and now here in what is most leagues' post season, that Anderson was a great value for where he was drafted by most owners.

Congratulations on guessing correctly. One question, when you guess correctly on other essentially 50/50 propositions do you crow so loudly? Are you like, "Yes, heads!, I knew it. I'm way smarter than those guys who called tails. All hail me!"What do you do when you win at Rock/Paper/Scissors, take out an ad in the Times?

all season? cmon ITYM all offseason if anything.Were you the only one that leaned toward Anderson over Bell? This thread seems to all but state that
Yes. ALL SEASON.

Have you ever had a thread created in week 5 that titled "Where's Bri?" that said "Does anyone think he's man enough to sack up and admit he was wrong with his prediction?" Personally, I think that qualifies as taking flak. And every time Anderson had a bad game, I took MORE flak.

As for the rest, I was the FIRST one to suggest that Anderson was going to win the starting job, and while I wasn't the only one who wound up taking that position, I was the only one who was getting mentioned derisively in entirely unrelated threads for taking that position. I was the only one with my name in the titles of threads questioning my manhood based on that position.

Is it possible that Bell winds up as the starter, and is the guy to get 250 carries? Sure. I put it as a 60/40 shot in Anderson's favor (although another 2 preseason games as the starter and it's more like an 80/20 shot). The difference is that Bell comes with a 3rd round price tag, and Anderson comes with an 8th round price tag. Or, if people had actually listened to me instead of making fun of me a couple of months ago, he could have come with an 18th round price tag.
http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index...ic=177557&st=35

Is it the fact that he's rushed for 1500 yards? Is it the fact that he's running better than Bell so far this preseason? Is it the fact that his running style between the tackles is FAR better suited to Denver's cut-blocking scheme? Is it the fact that he has better vision than Bell and always runs for positive yardage, which is the #1 trait that the coaches look for in an RB? Is it the fact that Anderson is being billed as the answer to Denver's struggles in short yardage and the red zone? Yeah, any one of these indicators on its own looks pretty harmless, but taken as a whole, I agree. The only logical conclusion is that Anderson is very likely to do what he has never done before in his career and string together a series of bad games, only to be replaced and outperformed by a guy who hasn't managed to replace or outperform him yet.
same link
For the first quote... so basically, I said BEFORE THE PRESEASON EVER STARTED that Anderson was going to win the starting job. And I said if he started in the preseason, he was a near-lock to win the job. All of this before he ran for 93 yards in one carry against Indy, back while Bell was costing a 2nd rounder and Anderson a 16th. It's a pretty bold prediction to say a 16th rounder is more likely to be a starter than a 2nd rounder.

For the second quote... did you even read the quote? Have you ever heard of sarcasm? I was pointing out how ridiculous it was to assume that, since Bell never outproduced Anderson during camps, it was only logical that he'd start outproducing him later. Read it again, it's a post strongly in support of Anderson gaining the starting job.

Any MORE quotes you want to repost here?

That's patently :bs: from the worshippers at SSOG’s altar.SSOG ran his mouth for the entire preseason & half a regular season stating that DEN would never use a RBBC and that Anderson would get the lion's share of the work, and then called anyone who had the temerity to disagree with him, despite all the hard evidence to the contrary, morons who didn't understand the first thing about football.
I said that Denver wouldn't run an RBBC. I was wrong and I admitted it. I said that Anderson was still THE GUY in Denver and would finish in the top 10. I never once backed off that claim, despite taking heavy heat for it. I *NEVER* called *ANYONE* a moron. That is flat out revisionist history. Go ahead, run a search for the word "moron" and the member name "SSoG". I've used that word THREE TIMES on these boards, and never in reference to another member. While you're at it, try searching "idiot". I use that one more often, but again, not directed at other members. Go ahead, find me a quote of me making a disparaging ad hominem attack directed at ANYONE, even the jerks who were making disparaging ad hominem attacks at me. I stayed civil the entire time. I defended my arguement, sure, but there's a difference between defending an arguement and disparaging the person who is arguing against you. Unless you mean to imply that disagreeing with you is tantamount to calling you an idiot. Which would be quite simply an idiotic stance to adopt.

And before you say I just called you an idiot, I did not. I said that stance would be patently idiotic- and it would be.

Not only did he misdiagnose the situation - only an irrational person would disagree that Shanahan ran a RBBC - but he was incredibly demeaning & abrasive in doing so while remaining in complete denial for half the season. SSOG only landed his prediction because he didn't use ppg stats - Anderson's production was equivalent to that of a decent to good #2 FF RB' date=' and that's coming from an Anderson owner who was elated to get that kind of production from a 9th round pick. When you started Anderson, there was no way to know whether he'd get you 20 carries, 120 yds, & 2 TDs while he was the workhorse; or whether he'd get 12 carries, 40 yds, & no TDs while Bell or Dayne took over production-wise.[/quote']I am neither irrational nor disagreeing that Shanny ran an RBBC. And if you felt demeaned by my posts, then I'm sorry, but perhaps you need to develop some thicker e-skin, since I wasn't once demeaning you. I didn't insult you, I didn't attack you, I simply disagreed with you. In fact, I frequently said very complimentary things about you, including once stating that you and Cecil Lammey were the only members on this board that I trusted for Denver information. And for that *CRIME*, for disagreeing with you, you have harbored this massive grudge.

As for not using PPG stats... read the thread again. My claim was FROM WEEK 3 FORWARD, Mike Anderson would be a top 10 RB in points per game. AND HE WAS. He finished NINTH in points per game from week 3 forward, less than a tenth of a point behind DomDavis and Priest Holmes, who missed 4 and 7 games, respectively. So use whatever you want. Total points, points per game. It makes no difference to me, Mike Anderson was still a top 10 back.

Anderson was wildly inconsistent. He literally followed a 36 FF pt week with a 3.5 FF pt week. How'd his 21 yds rushing' date=' 0 yds rec, & 0 TDs in week 14 help his owners in their FF playoffs? His production was more consistent with that of a FF WR rather than a FF RB.[/quote']LaDanian Tomlinson was wildly inconsistant. He literally followed a 34.1 FF point week with a 3.3 fantasy point week. How did his 6.7 points in the fantasy superbowl help his owners? His production was more consistant with that of a FF WR rather than a FF RB.

What a crock.

From week 3 (which is when I made the famous "Mike Anderson will be a stud from here on out" projection) through week 16, Mike Anderson has scored in single digits THREE TIMES in 13 games. Over that same span, LaDanian Tomlinson scored in single digits FOUR TIMES. Dominick Davis scored 0 points FIVE TIMES over that span. Rudi Johnson scored in single digits SIX TIMES during that span. Clinton Portis was pretty consistant, with only 2 single-digit games, but one of them was a 2.2 point performance that came a week after a 29.3 point performance.

Enough with this revisionist history. Mike Anderson scored comparable points IN A COMPARABLE MANNER to all of the other non-Alexander top-10 RBs. He was no more or less consistant. With all due respect, in this instance, you are simply wrong.

Shanahan played the situation masterfully in his use of RBs - for the success of the Broncos. SSOG was way off target' date=' and its well documented here. Hey, if some here want to call him a genius & think he's got his finger on the pulse of the Broncos, more power to them. But his braying here is completely consistent with his personality, his willingness to overlook his previous statements as never having occurred in his mind, and IMNSHO ridiculously ironic & absurd.[/quote']Did you even READ the first post? I didn't sweep my mistakes under the rug, I highlighted them in red so that nobody could accuse me of "overlooking my previous statements". Yes, I substantially underestimated the number of carries Tatum Bell would be getting. I also underestimated the number of yards Anderson would amass. And I'm not claiming otherwise. But I said all season that Anderson was still a top-10 guy, and all season I took a TON of heat for it, and all season Anderson *WAS* a top-10 guy... so like I said I'd do all season whenever anyone promised me they'd mock me unmercifully if I was wrong, I'm gloating because I was right.

Congratulations on guessing correctly. One question, when you guess correctly on other essentially 50/50 propositions do you crow so loudly? Are you like, "Yes, heads!, I knew it. I'm way smarter than those guys who called tails. All hail me!"

What do you do when you win at Rock/Paper/Scissors, take out an ad in the Times?
I already beat you to the punch. I predicted MONTHS ago that someone was going to come in and tell me that it was nothing more than a lucky guess.

If that's how you get to sleep tonight, knowing you were wrong to a guy who just had a lucky guess, then more power to you. Why is it, though, that whenever YOU get something right, it was a good prediction, and whenever I get something right, it was a lucky guess? Just wondering.

You see, the problem is that in YOUR MIND, it was essentially a 50/50 proposition, when in reality, it never was.

Congratulations on guessing correctly.

One question, when you guess correctly on other essentially 50/50 propositions do you crow so loudly?  Are you like, "Yes, heads!, I knew it.  I'm way smarter than those guys who called tails.  All hail me!"

What do you do when you win at Rock/Paper/Scissors, take out an ad in the Times?
The difference is, DW, that if you shouted out for 2 weeks that you think it'll be heads and are loudly denounced, belittled, and shouted-down by a group of loudmouths, all saying that they were sure it'll be tails. Then, you post saying, OK fine, but when it's heads I'll have my day. Oh...then ...it's....heads.Sorry, but I usually like Pony, but he needs to give SSOG some props for sticking to his guns, and needs to suck it up and admit the endless brow-beating he's applying it just flat wrong. Out of the 2 of you, Pony, you're coming across as the one that won't admit to mistakes/wrongs.

all season? cmon ITYM all offseason if anything.

Were you the only one that leaned toward Anderson over Bell? This thread seems to all but state that
Yes. ALL SEASON.Have you ever had a thread created in week 5 that titled "Where's Bri?" that said "Does anyone think he's man enough to sack up and admit he was wrong with his prediction?" Personally, I think that qualifies as taking flak. And every time Anderson had a bad game, I took MORE flak.
Yes, I have a website. I get praised and beaten with regularity just like everyone else that has one.
As for the rest, I was the FIRST one to suggest that Anderson was going to win the starting job,
No you weren't. During some game(can't recall) they had Anderson working out and all and he said he wanted to come back to play RB. We discussed it in the game thread and followed it up later. It was long before June or whenever you're saying.

Look SSOG,

kudos on getting Mike and drafting him. Your reply to me quoting your other 60/40 post wasn't much IMO. That was August 25th. On August 25th you thought it was a 60/40 chance. Need I quote everytime in this thread you've reacted as if you said he was the definite starter? You didn't, you said 60/40 which in the sportsworld is a shade above 50/50. Some moron that never followed football could say it's a 50/50 chance right? 2 guys=50/50? So forgive me if I don't praise you for your 60/40.

I've been doing FF a long while. In reading this and doing a little searching I'd guess your thoughts were all Mike and you were definitely drafting him but when it came time to speak your conviction wasn't there and you said "60/40" because you were afraid of being wrong or somesuch. NOW you're replying with I told ya so's and...yeah by 10 percent you did. Hence the kudos above but IMO the high and mighty my sh don't stink praise is a bit much.

60/40 on august 25th

all season? cmon ITYM all offseason if anything.

Were you the only one that leaned toward Anderson over Bell? This thread seems to all but state that
Yes. ALL SEASON.Have you ever had a thread created in week 5 that titled "Where's Bri?" that said "Does anyone think he's man enough to sack up and admit he was wrong with his prediction?" Personally, I think that qualifies as taking flak. And every time Anderson had a bad game, I took MORE flak.
Yes, I have a website. I get praised and beaten with regularity just like everyone else that has one.
As for the rest, I was the FIRST one to suggest that Anderson was going to win the starting job,
No you weren't. During some game(can't recall) they had Anderson working out and all and he said he wanted to come back to play RB. We discussed it in the game thread and followed it up later. It was long before June or whenever you're saying.

Look SSOG,

kudos on getting Mike and drafting him. Your reply to me quoting your other 60/40 post wasn't much IMO. That was August 25th. On August 25th you thought it was a 60/40 chance. Need I quote everytime in this thread you've reacted as if you said he was the definite starter? You didn't, you said 60/40 which in the sportsworld is a shade above 50/50. Some moron that never followed football could say it's a 50/50 chance right? 2 guys=50/50? So forgive me if I don't praise you for your 60/40.

I've been doing FF a long while. In reading this and doing a little searching I'd guess your thoughts were all Mike and you were definitely drafting him but when it came time to speak your conviction wasn't there and you said "60/40" because you were afraid of being wrong or somesuch. NOW you're replying with I told ya so's and...yeah by 10 percent you did. Hence the kudos above but IMO the high and mighty my sh don't stink praise is a bit much.

60/40 on august 25th
Bri's right here, SSOG. I had respect for you, and sticking with your position all year...Until you made this thread.

Why bask in your own glory? We know you were right...no reason to heap a ton of praise onto yourself.

Frankly, I see no harm in a little well earned basking, especially because we all know that if SSOG would have been wrong the vitriol emanating from the multiple anti-SSOG threads sure to have been started by Petty Boy and his like would have been simply stereocilia-scorching.

Your first point about Anderson's production would only be valid for eight team leagues considering that Anderson was the #9 ranked RB in systems using 1 pt each 10 yards & 6 TD (that's solid RB1 territory) and he was ranked #12 in decimal scoring leagues with PPR, which is still RB1 in larger leagues.
Not in ppw rankings. He came in around #15 or #16 in FF points per week. That's #2 RB range in all but very large leagues.And I stated in preseason, in the regular season, and now here in what is most leagues' post season, that Anderson was a great value for where he was drafted by most owners.
Enough said. I'm done with this.
Thought you were done with it?Anyway, I wouldn't say that thinking SSOG deserves props for sticking to his guns throughout this whole thing makes me a sycophant.

You seem to have an unhealthy dislike for SSOG, and my guess is it stems from people looking to him rather than you as the FBG Bronco authority.

Bri's right here, SSOG. I had respect for you, and sticking with your position all year...

Until you made this thread.

Why bask in your own glory? We know you were right...no reason to heap a ton of praise onto yourself.
:goodposting:

You seem to have an unhealthy dislike for SSOG, and my guess is it stems from people looking to him rather than you as the FBG Bronco authority.
:lmao: That's almost quote worthy.

Not much achievement in your life? PRops to you for sticking w/ him. But, I have to say he finished pretty much where the consensus opinion had him, after Ahman Green went down, after the CuMartin situation shaped up w/ a 4th string QB and 3 Linemen out, and corey dillon was hurt for half the season and running behind a makeshift line, and Deuce went down. It was one of the worst years for RB's I remember. But gloating over sticking w/ the consensus? Come on!!!! There may have been a few people who doubted you, but it was by far the minority.

With 1 week remaining, Tatum Bell has a 5.57 ypc average. He would be the 15th RB to have a ypc of 5.5 since 1960 with at least 150 carries in a season.Tatum Bell 2005 156-869-5.57 Clinton Portis 2002 273-1508-5.52 Barry Sanders 1997 335-2053-6.13 Napoleon Kaufman 1996 150-874-5.83 Barry Sanders 1994 331-1883-5.69 James Brooks 1989 221-1239-5.61 Eric Dickerson 1984 379-2105-5.55 O.J. Simpson 1975 329-1817-5.52 O.J. Simpson 1973 332-2003-6.03 Franco Harris 1972 188-1055-5.61 Jim Brown 1963 291-1863-6.40 Paul Lowe 1963 177-1010-5.71 Jim Brown 1960 215-1257-5.85 John David Crow 1960 183-1071-5.85 Abner Haynes 1960 156-875-5.61Bell would become the only one on the list that was not his team's primary ball carrier the following season.

With 1 week remaining, Tatum Bell has a 5.57 ypc average. He would be the 15th RB to have a ypc of 5.5 since 1960 with at least 150 carries in a season.

Tatum Bell 2005 156-869-5.57

Clinton Portis 2002 273-1508-5.52

Barry Sanders 1997 335-2053-6.13

Napoleon Kaufman 1996 150-874-5.83

Barry Sanders 1994 331-1883-5.69

James Brooks 1989 221-1239-5.61

Eric Dickerson 1984 379-2105-5.55

O.J. Simpson 1975 329-1817-5.52

O.J. Simpson 1973 332-2003-6.03

Franco Harris 1972 188-1055-5.61

Jim Brown 1963 291-1863-6.40

Paul Lowe 1963 177-1010-5.71

Jim Brown 1960 215-1257-5.85

John David Crow 1960 183-1071-5.85

Abner Haynes 1960 156-875-5.61

Bell would become the only one on the list that was not his team's primary ball carrier the following season.
Strong work, David. And my thanks for that. I'm stuck in a keeper league (keep 1 RB) with Westy, Bell, or FWP. Really hoping that something occurs in Denver over this offseason to clear the muddy waters. People keep knocking Bell as a guy that will get stuffed for a loss too often. When I watch his snaps, seems like he really ran with quite a bit of conviction all season. Getting good pad levels at the hole, and running with power through some good/strong arm tackles. I'm really hoping his desire to be great has him working very hard through the off-season.

Really hoping that something occurs in Denver over this offseason to clear the muddy waters.
Seems like we hope for that every year, but outside of the Portis years, it will undoubtedly be an up-in-the-air, highly debated topic all through training camp.

Users who are viewing this thread