What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Marjorie Taylor Greene Thread (3 Viewers)

The latest Republican “threat” is that if Democrats carry through with forcing a vote on Taylor Greene, Republicans will propose a vote on removing Ilhan Omar from her committees; Ms. Omar has made vile anti-Semitic comments in the past. 
Of course there is a difference here. Omar was called on by Nancy Pelosi to apologize, and Omar did apologize and has spent the last year meeting with Jewish groups to learn about avoiding using anti-Semitic tropes in the future. Personally I’m no fan of Omar and I fervently wish she was not a member of Congress. But this attempt by members of the GOP to avoid addressing Taylor Greene and simply attack the other side is just awful. 
Alcee Hastings is probably a better comparison.  Impeached and convicted by the Senate for bribery - he got back into office and the D side put him on the rules committee.  The rules committee.   

No fan of Greene - she's a loon.  But how can they throw her out while making this guy not just a member, but a vice chair of the rules committee?  

Can we do a 2 for 1 and throw him out of his position at the same time?  Same state, even.

It's like leftists here just want to ignore that to keep screaming Orange Man Bad.
This take was lazy and off-base when Trump was in office and is even worse now. 

Anyway, help me reconcile how you say we shouldn't underestimate KM's political potential in one paragraph only to chastise MTG in the next for being a "politically inexperienced middle aged straight white woman without a military background."  

Beyond the obvious attractiveness difference, they're pretty similar prototypes to me:. White females with little political experience other than to be vicious Trump disciples.  

Thanks @Sea Duck   and if what she has said in Tim's OP,  she's not a great rep in the gov't,  but I do hear what she is saying about social media.   I think everyone would be better off getting away from social media.    
She posted many of the things she said to social media herself.

Apparently the ovation came after she claimed that  "social media posts do not reflect who she is as a person" .
She does realize that most of the posts that people are questioning, are of her speaking right? She isn't re-tweeting someone else. Most of them don't even look like she is being interviewed by someone else so she can't claim she was just answering question and her answers were taken out of context. Most of them look like she decided to film herself saying her beliefs out loud and voluntarily sharing them with the world.

Taylor Greene is no Neanderthal. She’s college educated, a product of her culture. Referring to her as a “loon” ignores the fact that many of her ideas have been carefully nurtured by right wing media and tolerated by right wing politicians for decades. Guys like McConnell can criticize her all they want (and I’m glad they are) but they created her. 

University of Georgia so I'm not really getting your point.

McCarthy is in a tough spot here. How does he not remove her. This is what she said after the meeting today

"And Kevin McCarthy and all these leaders, the leadership, and everyone is proving that they are all talk and not about action and they're just all about doing business as usual in Washington. And so what's the difference between them and the Democrats? There isn't a difference," she said.

Kevin McCarthy says that Taylor-Greene has denounced her offensive claims, but I haven't been able to find a link. Anyone?

For what it’s worth, the vote to remove Cheney failed by a substantial margin as well. 
Was anyone really surprised by this? No one wants to make her father angry. 

Trump is all ignorance and hot air whose only skill is riling up his base and not getting anything accomplished. 

**** Cheney is like Joe Pesci's character in The Irishman, everyone knows who he is but not many know just how deep and wide ranging his power is. 

That's worse.
My guess is that what she apologized to the GOP was for bringing on the controversy and not for her beliefs.

She still believes the election was stolen, Pelosi should be executed for treason, Democrats are evil, jewish laser beams are causing forest fires, 9/11 pentagon attack and school shootings are hoaxes, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kevin McCarthy’s statement is so incredibly lame. He’s really putting his party in deep #### here. Or perhaps they’re putting him there. 
Meanwhile, at the same time as Greene is not being punished, GOP House members are actually expecting Liz Cheney to apologize for voting to impeach Trump. She won’t. 
Seems like alternate reality. Up is down, black is white  :loco:

Kevin McCarthy’s statement is so incredibly lame. He’s really putting his party in deep #### here. Or perhaps they’re putting him there. 
Meanwhile, at the same time as Greene is not being punished, GOP House members are actually expecting Liz Cheney to apologize for voting to impeach Trump. She won’t. 
I think we are far past the time of putting party in deep anything.  What will really happen?  Will there ever really be a split?

I mean...there are those in that conference trying to equate a vote to impeach with the things MTG has done and said.  And almost excusing repugnant behavior of MTG but being that against Cheney for voting "against" Trump.

McCarthy this morning: “I think it would be helpful if the public had heard what Marjorie had to say last night- she doesn’t believe in Qanon, she doesn’t know anything about lasers...”

Of course Taylor Greene hasn’t said ANY of this in public. She continues to be defiant. 

Taylor Greene gave an interview with the Washington Examiner in which she slammed McCarthy and referred to McConnell as “the Big Turtle”. She said Pelosi was “80 million years old.” 

Mccarthy is just the worst. Mispronounced Qanon and saying is that how you say it. I don't even know what it is.
He met with Greene to discuss her statements about QAnon and conspiracy theories and then claims he doesn't know how it is pronounced or what it is?  

He is either lying or seriously incompetent.  Either way not a good look.  

Taylor Greene gave an interview with the Washington Examiner in which she slammed McCarthy and referred to McConnell as “the Big Turtle”. She said Pelosi was “80 million years old.” 
Of course it shows a lack of remorse but none of the comments on their own is a big deal at all.

Of course it shows a lack of remorse but none of the comments on their own is a big deal at all.
I disagree.  Making a statement that forest fires are caused by Jewish space lasers shows that the person isn't capable of rational thought and should be nowhere near a governing body.  You wouldn't think this would be a controversial stance, yet here we are.

I disagree.  Making a statement that forest fires are caused by Jewish space lasers shows that the person isn't capable of rational thought and should be nowhere near a governing body.  You wouldn't think this would be a controversial stance, yet here we are.
I was referring to her interview with the Washington Examiner where she criticized McCarthy,  referred to McConnell as “the Big Turtle” and said Pelosi was “80 million years old.” 

Unlike her other beliefs and comments none of these are big deal.  She is just following Trump's lead of immature remarks.

I'm telling you guys she is the female version of Trump.  She saw what being abrasive endears you to the GOP voters and is all in.

Yet she was voted in. How scary is that? Think about that!!!

We seriously need to deal with these types of people regardless of party affiliation in our congress and senate. 

Gotta deal with all of them and quickly. 

My son attends Marjory Stoneman Douglas. I have several friends that lost their children. 

How freaking dare her.

Censure her. Now.

Followed by, "Obama lied to us about keeping our doctor. They all lie."
Followed by...AOC should be censured for dishonesty.

Followed by cancel culture is bad.

Followed by Psaki should be fired for comments made prior to being Press Secretary.

Its almost as if there is a double standard.  (and no...its not just the right that does this...these are just recent examples)

Another difference is that Republicans were already calling for Omar to be rebuked and/or stripped of assignments. They want Democrats to adhere to standards which they refuse to honor themselves.
Are you suggesting they are disingenuous?
"Disingenuous" isn't the right word for it. Both parties are disingenuous (insincere); heck, pretty much every politician is disingenuous to a certain degree. But what Republicans are doing right now -- with Taylor Greene, with the January 6 attack, with the stolen election lie -- goes beyond insincerity. "Gaslighting" might be a better word for it -- i.e., a form of psychological abuse where a person or group tries to make someone question reality.

But gaslighting is just one part of the playbook. What we've seen in the Trump era is a form of political theater that deftly combines gaslighting with insincere rhetoric and faux whataboutism. And the behavior has become so reflexive for the Republican party that they don't even flinch when their rhetoric comes off as being insincere or hypocritical. Trying to manufacture comparisons between Taylor Greene and Omar; trying to manufacture comparisons between January 6 and BLM; trying to manufacture comparisons between the stolen election lie and Al Gore or Hillary Clinton; attacking AOC for her comments about the January 6 attack. Just reflexively say "But whatabout!" and hope nobody calls you out, then move on to the next one.

Marjorie Taylor Greene should be an insta-disown for the Republican party. And yet they can't bring themselves to do it. They just want to act like she apologized and denounced the foundation of her political existence -- when, as far as the public knows, she hasn't.

McCarthy this morning: “I think it would be helpful if the public had heard what Marjorie had to say last night- she doesn’t believe in Qanon, she doesn’t know anything about lasers...”

Of course Taylor Greene hasn’t said ANY of this in public. She continues to be defiant. 
She's a woman.  Frosty the Snowman has a better chance of walking thru Downtown Hell at noon in the summer than we have of hearing an apology from her.  

Alcee Hastings is probably a better comparison.  Impeached and convicted by the Senate for bribery - he got back into office and the D side put him on the rules committee.  The rules committee.   

No fan of Greene - she's a loon.  But how can they throw her out while making this guy not just a member, but a vice chair of the rules committee?  

Can we do a 2 for 1 and throw him out of his position at the same time?  Same state, even.
No response to this, which is no surprise.  Ok, instead of talking about equitable treatment of throwing people out based on past actions with this guy - a guy thrown out of a judgeship for bribery and perjury, but appointed as vice chair of the rules committee, how about this one:

Should Swalwell also be voted to be removed from the intelligence committee based on his document intimate relationship with a Chinese spy over several years?  This is a significantly bigger threat and the silence is deafening on this one, as well.  If we're talking about fitness for committee duties how does this guy still have a spot on this particular one?

No response to this, which is no surprise.  Ok, instead of talking about equitable treatment of throwing people out based on past actions with this guy - a guy thrown out of a judgeship for bribery and perjury, but appointed as vice chair of the rules committee, how about this one:

Should Swalwell also be voted to be removed from the intelligence committee based on his document intimate relationship with a Chinese spy over several years?  This is a significantly bigger threat and the silence is deafening on this one, as well.  If we're talking about fitness for committee duties how does this guy still have a spot on this particular one?
Hastings shouldn't have been elected, let alone put on a committee.  but crooked and crazy are a little different.

Swalwell says that he didn't know that the woman was an alleged spy, and he ended his affiliation with her once he was notified by the authorities. In order for your whataboutism to be comparable, it would be a bit like Marjorie Taylor Greene saying that she had no idea that jet fuel really could melt steel beams, followed by her renouncing her conspiracy beliefs once she was presented with the facts.

Did that happen? No.

“I was allowed to believe things that weren’t true” is a first-ballot selection in the Weaselly Use of Passive Voice Hall of Fame. 
Don't forget "9/11 absolutely happened".

(Um....you never said it didn't happen, Marjorie. You just implied that our own government was behind it, and questioned whether real planes were involved. You also defended your beliefs and said you would never back down as recently as....last week.)

Users who are viewing this thread