What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The OFFICIAL 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread (1 Viewer)

Is Papelbon closing a temp assignment? That is, until a 5th starter is needed which would coincide with Foulke rounding into form.

Is Papelbon closing a temp assignment? That is, until a 5th starter is needed which would coincide with Foulke rounding into form.
Wells pitches Wednesday as the #5.

looks like coco crisp has a broken bone in his hand. Willy Mo or Stern to CF. ouch
The obvious answer here is Stern. The guy's bat has been on fire this spring and by all accounts he's a solid option (though not on Coco's level) defensively in center. Factor in that he's the fastest guy on the team and I'm not too concerned about a big dropoff there. Certainly they're not equivalent but Stern should look good out there. I personally don't think Wily Mo has made enough headway with his patience at the plate to be considered an everyday option at this point... but we'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Really? I had heard somewhere that after getting lit up in AAA that he was looking to hold back a bit longer to get his #### together? I know he gets paid per start with a bonus after a certain number of starts... but I think he's even aware that he's just not ready yet.

Oh geez. How could I forget. So I guess its all or nothing to pick up Papelbon as a free agent now??

]
looks like coco crisp has a broken bone in his hand. Willy Mo or Stern to CF. ouch
The obvious answer here is Stern. The guy's bat has been on fire this spring and by all accounts he's a solid option (though not on Coco's level) defensively in center. Factor in that he's the fastest guy on the team and I'm not too concerned about a big dropoff there. Certainly they're not equivalent but Stern should look good out there. I personally don't think Wily Mo has made enough headway with his patience at the plate to be considered an everyday option at this point... but we'll see.
Willy Mo is a young Red Sox that frightens me. He good.

Put Wily Mo between Manny and Trots and that's one hell of a beer-league softball team OF!! Is OF defense really THAT important?

]
The Sox had planned to send Stern down as soon as he was elligible (without getting plucked off waivers) so he could be an everyday player and get some at-bats. I suppose that plan may have changed with Coco's injury (although I hadn't heard that he broke a bone in his hand; I heard he just jammed his fingers).

]
Really? I had heard somewhere that after getting lit up in AAA that he was looking to hold back a bit longer to get his #### together? I know he gets paid per start with a bonus after a certain number of starts... but I think he's even aware that he's just not ready yet.
I hope you're right; I'm going to the game, and I'd rather see just about anyone else pitch than Wells.

Put Wily Mo between Manny and Trots and that's one hell of a beer-league softball team OF!! Is OF defense really THAT important?
:lmao: It definitely wouldn't be the best OF in the league defensively... though Manny has shown to be much improved this year in Left. He apparently worked on his leatherwork in the offseason. It's always an adventure with him out there but he did lead all MLB outffielders in throw-outs last year. Some of this has to do with people (mistakenly) trying to run on him because of his defensive rep. He's no Jim Edmonds, but I'll take him out there.

What trot lacks in overall speed he makes up for with hustle. He's a career .983 F% guy... not too shabby. Is he a gritty looking dirt dog? Yes. Can he play right? Yes.

That said.. Wily Mo will certianly complete the puzzle of OFs with certain issues... Stern is a speed demon with a above average glove... I hope Tito is smart enough to see that.

,Apr 10 2006, 08:32 AM]

Willy Mo is a young Red Sox that frightens me. He good.
he's good but has very polarized splits at the plate and I'm not sure he's good enough with the glove to anchor our OF in Center. He needs some seasoning to improve his batting eye and platooning is IMHO the best way to work him in. He's got the potential to be a monster though... no doubt.

Is Crisp's broken finger confirmed? Rototimes is saying "unsure" at this point. gdb missing the lineup submission for this week :rant:

Tough break for the Sox, but I'm sure Wily Mo will be fine, because he is very STRONG, although quite BAD in the field.

Is Crisp's broken finger confirmed?  Rototimes is saying "unsure" at this point.  gdb missing the lineup submission for this week :rant:
I heard he could be out 6-8 weeks on the radio this morning.
thanks JTC. Voicemail to change lineup left. He's a strong source of stolen bases for me too.

Beckett looking rough on the mound with 3 walks in the first inning

Stern in for Crisp... a Double with 2 more RBI, plus he stole 3B and scored on a Youk double down the line. (yooooook is 2-2 so far)

:thumbup:

Great... Trot favors his leg coming out of the box... Wily Mo in right.

Always good to have 2/3 of your OF on the DL 2 weeks into the season

;)

EDIT: Mild groin strain.. he'll be fine.

Papelbon with another perfect 1-2-3 inning for his 3rd save. :thumbup:

Must say the D is looking stellar out there... particularly in the infield... (short of WMP in right :lmao: )

I can't believe Ironman Nixon is injured.

Save #4 for Papelbon. He continues to impress.

Looks like Josh Beckett is fitting in just fine.

CRISP Extended through 2010 >

BOSTON -- The sting Coco Crisp felt from going on the disabled list earlier this week subsided a little on Wednesday when the center fielder agreed with the Red Sox on a three-year extension that includes a club option for the 2010 season.

The Red Sox had contractual control over Crisp for the next three years anyway, but now arbitration and/or yearly negotiations will no longer be necessary.

Once the deal expires -- unless the Red Sox exercise the option for 2010 -- Crisp will be eligible for free agency.

Crisp suffered a non-displaced fracture at the base of his left index finger when he was thrown out trying to steal third base last Saturday in Baltimore.

He got off to a good start before the injury, hitting .333 with a double, a triple and six runs scored in his first five games with the Red Sox.

The 26-year-old Crisp is a career .288 hitter with 35 homers and 176 RBIs in 420 Major League games.

It has been a good week for the Red Sox on the contract front, as superstar slugger David Ortiz signed a four-year extension on Monday.

The Red Sox are off to a 6-1 start entering Wednesday night's game against the Blue Jays.

I'm surprised the Sox would lock up Crisp through 2010.
Why?
They're reluctant to extend long term deals to a whole bunch of guys, and after he's played a whopping 5 or so games for the Sox, they sign up a guy with his stats for 3 more years with an option for a 4th?Crisp might end up being really, really good, but similar batters at 25 are:

Dom DiMaggio

Steve Garvey

Lou Brock

Roy Weatherly

Amos Otis

Garret Anderson

Tito Francona

Don Mueller

Lenny Dykstra

Ron Northey

and I think it's obvious that he's no Lou Brock. There's some great players on that list, but it is a bit hit or miss.

They're locking him in for his peak power years is all I can think of, but it's a bigger risk than I'm used to seeing the Sox make.

I'm surprised the Sox would lock up Crisp through 2010.
Why?
They're reluctant to extend long term deals to a whole bunch of guys, and after he's played a whopping 5 or so games for the Sox, they sign up a guy with his stats for 3 more years with an option for a 4th?Crisp might end up being really, really good, but similar batters at 25 are:

Dom DiMaggio

Steve Garvey

Lou Brock

Roy Weatherly

Amos Otis

Garret Anderson

Tito Francona

Don Mueller

Lenny Dykstra

Ron Northey

and I think it's obvious that he's no Lou Brock. There's some great players on that list, but it is a bit hit or miss.

They're locking him in for his peak power years is all I can think of, but it's a bigger risk than I'm used to seeing the Sox make.
He was arbitration elligible through 2009 anyway, so all this does is avoid all that hassle. His annual salaries are $3.5M, $4.75M, and $5.75M, with a team option at $8M. That doesn't seem like much of a risk to me for a team with the second highest payroll in baseball.

Sure but this is the team with the second highest salary in baseball that let Pedro Martinez, Johnny Damon, Bill Mueller, and Orlando Cabrera all go pretty easily.

The big difference is age, and while I understand the value of youth, there is also the uncertainty of Crisp's career. He's not Eric Chavez.

Sure but this is the team with the second highest salary in baseball that let Pedro Martinez, Johnny Damon, Bill Mueller, and Orlando Cabrera all go pretty easily.
Very few people are confident in Martinez's ability to remain healthy and effective over the length of his Mets contract. That's not the case with Crisp.Johnny Damon simply wanted too much money. That's not the case with Crisp.

Bill Mueller was replaced by Mike Lowell, whose contract is much larger than Mueller's.

I will never understand why they didn't re-sign Cabrera, but they did give an even bigger contract to Renteria.

I don't think any of these situations are comparable with Crisp's.

The big difference is age, and while I understand the value of youth, there is also the uncertainty of Crisp's career. He's not Eric Chavez.
What did you expect them to do? Just go to arbitration for the next three years in a row? No, he's not Chavez. Few are. That doesn't mean you don't sign anyone who's not a superstar.

That he was eligible for arbitration for the next three years answers my question, and I believe is why he got a contract extension where so many others haven't.

That he was eligible for arbitration for the next three years answers my question, and I believe is why he got a contract extension where so many others haven't.
This is analagous to when they locked up Nomar years ago before he reached his prime. At the time people thought the Sox were crazy, but he ended up being underpaid for years. Different management, but the closest case I can think of.

You really can't compare Crisp's contract to any of those guys.It was going to cost the Sox 48 million to lock up Damon and probably 60 million to lock up Pedro.

Crisp is costing them 15.5 million. They aren't exactly pot committed if it doesn't work out and they will look like geniuses if he keeps improving.

Schilling off to first 3-0 start since 2002.

Papelbon shuts door for 5th straight save.

Sox win a close one 2-1 on the back of some great pitching.

ETA: At what point does Schilling's season move from "lucky/hot start" to "The guy is officially back"?

]Schilling off to first 3-0 start since 2002.

ETA: At what point does Schilling's season move from "lucky/hot start" to "The guy is officially back"?
Right around the time he faces the Yankees

I knew he would have a great season. Nice job :thumbup:

It's already happened, unfortunately. I have to admit, I didn't think Schilling would turn in the year he has. But once I saw him opening day against Texas, I was sold that he was back. His start wasn't like someone along the lines of a Miguel Batista or a Kenny Rogers having a hot start - meaning Schil's was legit.He and Beckett should combine for around 35-40 wins, and Wakefield will be Wakefield.

Here's hoping Wells and Clement bring the team ERA over 5.00 by themselves!

;)

Actually what are the chances Papelbon is moved into the rotation and Hansen closes at some point? I know you don't mess with a good thing, but if Clement/Wells are pretty much losses every fifth day, how long can/will that go on you think?

7-3. nice start. i think the pitching will be a surprising strong point for us as long as boomer gets his #### somewhat straight.

,Apr 15 2006, 02:03 AM]Schilling off to first 3-0 start since 2002.

It's already happened, unfortunately. I have to admit, I didn't think Schilling would turn in the year he has. But once I saw him opening day against Texas, I was sold that he was back. His start wasn't like someone along the lines of a Miguel Batista or a Kenny Rogers having a hot start - meaning Schil's was legit.He and Beckett should combine for around 35-40 wins, and Wakefield will be Wakefield.

Here's hoping Wells and Clement bring the team ERA over 5.00 by themselves!

;)

Actually what are the chances Papelbon is moved into the rotation and Hansen closes at some point? I know you don't mess with a good thing, but if Clement/Wells are pretty much losses every fifth day, how long can/will that go on you think?
Wells and Clement sure are trying so far aren't they :D The biggest problem with Wells is he's paid per start with nice incentives that kick in after a certain number of starts (I want to say 20 but I'm not sure)... so unfortunately he's not going to be happy about stepping down to AAA to figure out WTF is wrong with him.

Hansen has stellar stuff but apparently the Sox brass doesn't think he's quite there... I've heard reports that they expect him to be ready by the break but who knows with these sort of things. I got to see the kid throw in spring training and there is no doubt that ball just flat out jumps out of his hand. I don't believe he allowed a single run in all of ST (not that that's saying much).

The fact that Wells is going on the DL and they're giving his start to Lenny DiNardo speaks volumes about Papelbon's position as a closer. This is an ideal opportunity for Paps to move into the rotation, but keeping him at the closer is basically saying he's "stuck" there until someone else can do the job.

Will be interesting to see how Beckett does in his next start... he was having trouble locating his curve early against Toronto, hence the wild first. Given his intensity level I'm curious to see how he'll handle a day when it just doesn't work, period.

Any specific reason for Manny's slow start or is it just a ... slow start?
Manny's fine. IIRC he has a similar start last year. Looking at him in the box he's just needing to tweak his mechanics just a bit. If you watch him you can see him performing little drills to adjust his swing plane, etc. Sometime in the next couple of weeks he'll explode and have a .600/5HR/12RBI week and he'll be back to being "manny"

Schilling and Papelbon, Now that a great combination. I so glad to see that Schilling has regained his old form. Crisp will be back and he will show that he earned that contract extension. The one person that is doing the Red Sox nothing is David Wells. Why are they keeping him. Go ahead and give him the trade get him out of here. I hope that Foulke will return to his old form to. Hey what do you think will happen when the great defector returns. I hope the Sox crush the yanks and i hope that Tavarez buzz's Damon with a pitch. Even though the Sox did not really want him to say that he would never play for the yankees and then to put on the pinstripes. That just wrong

The one person that is doing the Red Sox nothing is David Wells. Why are they keeping him.
Cmon dude. Wells has had exactly one start so far. Its really too early to be writing him off. He got off to a bad start last year too, in fact his first two were terrible. The guy knows how to pitch, I bet he comes around.

Users who are viewing this thread