What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The OFFICIAL 2006 Boston Red Sox Thread (1 Viewer)

Some rumors that the BoSox may be able to trade for Dontrelle Willis. Will definately cost them Lester and probably Pedroia and something else but if they could get Willis I would do it. You can only hope Lester turns out to be as good as Willis.

Beckett notches another win today... making him the second Boston starter to start off 3-0 (Schilling obviously as the 1st). Beckett has now allowed 3ER in 21 innings pitched

Timlin notched another perfect 8th... maintaining his 0.00 ERA over 5 appearances

Papelbon lands another save, his major league leading 6th of the season.... setting the Red Sox team record for saves by a rookie in April and just 3 short of the Major League rookie record.

Papelbon's statistics thus far this year:

7G - 6 SV - 0.00 ERA - 0.29 WHIP - 6K - 0BB :excited:

Opponents numbers against Papelbon:

.087 AVG - .130 SLG - .125 OBP :eek: :eek:

Wow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some rumors that the BoSox may be able to trade for Dontrelle Willis. Will definately cost them Lester and probably Pedroia and something else but if they could get Willis I would do it. You can only hope Lester turns out to be as good as Willis.
Any source on this? WEEI? SoSH?I guess they's have to consider it, but Willis' funky motion would make me nervous on a long term basis. Serious arm injury waiting to happen.

I'm really tempted to back DiNardo at -144 tomorrow. Groundball guy so maybe wily mo won't have as many chances to blow the game.

Some rumors that the BoSox may be able to trade for Dontrelle Willis.  Will definately cost them Lester and probably Pedroia and something else but if they could get Willis I would do it.  You can only hope Lester turns out to be as good as Willis.
Any source on this? WEEI? SoSH?I guess they's have to consider it, but Willis' funky motion would make me nervous on a long term basis. Serious arm injury waiting to happen.
I've heard it mentioned on EEI a couple of times, for what that's worth.

Some rumors that the BoSox may be able to trade for Dontrelle Willis.  Will definately cost them Lester and probably Pedroia and something else but if they could get Willis I would do it.  You can only hope Lester turns out to be as good as Willis.
I've heard it mentioned on EEI a couple of times, for what that's worth.
Someone posted on redsoxnation.net that the Marlins owner flat out shot it down as crazy speculation. Said there was no chance unless someone was throwing Pujols in the deal. :shrug:

Take it for what it's worth

LINK : Loria says Hell No >

Loria: Willis trade rumors 'ridiculous'

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 15, 2006

MIAMI GARDENS — Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was watching television Thursday night when ESPN's baseball analysts speculated that Florida might trade Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera in the next four months.

"I saw Buster Olney talking about it. I looked at the TV and said, 'What the (heck) are you talking about?' " Loria said before Friday's game. "It's outrageous. It's utterly ridiculous. They're not going anywhere."

Loria acknowledged that during his tenure here, no player has been untouchable.

"It's never safe to assume anything in this game," he said, "but if we were going to go do something, we would have done something in the off-season."

The Marlins did plenty in the off-season, trimming a $65 million payroll to about $15 million by unloading every key player on the 2005 roster except Willis and Cabrera.

At baseball's winter meetings in December, about two weeks after the main trades were done, some teams asked the Marlins: Since you traded guys such as Carlos Delgado, Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell, will you also consider trading Willis and Cabrera?

Those teams were told it wasn't out of the question but it probably wouldn't be possible until closer to the July 31 trading deadline, if at all.

Sources with several teams said they had not heard any talk within the industry about the Marlins' interest in trading Willis or Cabrera.

But those sources also said they would not be surprised if one or both were aggressively shopped after the season, before their salaries climb.

Willis makes $4.35 million, nearly a third of the $14.9 million payroll. Cabrera earns $472,000. Both players are in line for hefty raises next season, when they might make at least $7 million each.

Still, Loria said they're not going anywhere.

"It's not even worth talking about," he said. "Now, if someone called us and said, here's Albert Pujols and four other guys you might say, 'Oh we'll look at that.' "

Hermida recovering: Right fielder Jeremy Hermida (sore right hip flexor), who hasn't played since leaving Tuesday's game after the eighth, took batting practice Friday.

]LINK : Loria says Hell No >

Loria: Willis trade rumors 'ridiculous'

By Joe Capozzi

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Saturday, April 15, 2006

MIAMI GARDENS — Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria was watching television Thursday night when ESPN's baseball analysts speculated that Florida might trade Dontrelle Willis and Miguel Cabrera in the next four months.

"I saw Buster Olney talking about it. I looked at the TV and said, 'What the (heck) are you talking about?' " Loria said before Friday's game. "It's outrageous. It's utterly ridiculous. They're not going anywhere."

Loria acknowledged that during his tenure here, no player has been untouchable.

"It's never safe to assume anything in this game," he said, "but if we were going to go do something, we would have done something in the off-season."

The Marlins did plenty in the off-season, trimming a $65 million payroll to about $15 million by unloading every key player on the 2005 roster except Willis and Cabrera.

At baseball's winter meetings in December, about two weeks after the main trades were done, some teams asked the Marlins: Since you traded guys such as Carlos Delgado, Josh Beckett and Mike Lowell, will you also consider trading Willis and Cabrera?

Those teams were told it wasn't out of the question but it probably wouldn't be possible until closer to the July 31 trading deadline, if at all.

Sources with several teams said they had not heard any talk within the industry about the Marlins' interest in trading Willis or Cabrera.

But those sources also said they would not be surprised if one or both were aggressively shopped after the season, before their salaries climb.

Willis makes $4.35 million, nearly a third of the $14.9 million payroll. Cabrera earns $472,000. Both players are in line for hefty raises next season, when they might make at least $7 million each.

Still, Loria said they're not going anywhere.

"It's not even worth talking about," he said. "Now, if someone called us and said, here's Albert Pujols and four other guys you might say, 'Oh we'll look at that.' "

Hermida recovering: Right fielder Jeremy Hermida (sore right hip flexor), who hasn't played since leaving Tuesday's game after the eighth, took batting practice Friday.
Well he has to say that now regardless. He may change his mind in July but he can't tell what fans they have left he is dangling Willis now.

11AM (EDT)GAME TODAY FOR PATRIOTS DAY!

Game time: 11:05 am EDT

(fixed for the fat nit)

Scheduled starters: Gil Meche v. Lenny DiNardo

Boston weather: 8 am observation at BOS: Wind out of the northeast at 10 mph; visibility 10 miles; few clouds at 3,100 feet, 4,100 overcast; temperature 45F, DP 34F

Forecast: It'll be mostly cloudy during game time (which is good for the runners in the Marathon), with temperatures in the low 50's. The wind is out of the northeast, and will become north by early afternoon, at less than 15 mph. There's a slight chance of light rain throughout the day.

A northeast wind blows in from left, and a north wind blows across from left to right.

Anni

GB Patriots Day....

,Apr 17 2006, 01:13 PM]

Loretta with the game winning bomb!!
:pickle: :banned:

Ortiz with 2 HR.... Trot with two 2B and a 1B

Foulke got hit around again...
Papi missed his 3rd by a few feet and Manny hit a bomb that went of the top of the Monster.
:yes: :thumbup: Was on an "extended lunch break" at home.... GB Extra Innings'

Ortiz was a lot closer than a few feet. If it wasn't going to go over on it's own it would have hit the top of the wall. Suzuki had his back to the wall and he had to jump a bit to get it. :thumbup:

Foulke is done
uhhh, ok :rolleyes:
Agreed. He's certainly not "back" yet... but he's looking better by the outing here. He should have never gone back out for the 2nd inning yet.... and he's been getting some bum luck lately. I'd say he's at 70% thus far.

Maybe done was a reach, but hell the way Paps has been closing, why force him into that role - is he still in recovery mode? from 86spike at SOSH:

As of this morning... Papelbon leads the majors in saves, is unscored upon, has yet to walk a batter and has only given up a smattering of baserunners. He;s had 4 saves in one-run games, 1 save in a two-run game and 1 save in a three-run game. The kid is unconscious out there and he's been making some very good hitters look silly at the plate.Let's take a minute and revel in that.aaaaaaahhhhhh - that feels good.I'm sure Paps' hot streak will end at some point and it could be an ugly, ugly ending. But he seems like the type who can shake it off and go back out there ready to succeed immediately.I wonder if Foulke will be able to get back into the closer role (although he may not really care... especially if the team picks up his option without him meeting the 'games finished' mark in his contract). Could Foulke become a 1-2 inning mid-game assassin like Scot Shields with Paps playing the role of K-Rod at the end? Man that sounds good, doesn't it?

Maybe done was a reach, but hell the way Paps has been closing, why force him into that role - is he still in recovery mode?

from 86spike at SOSH:

As of this morning... Papelbon leads the majors in saves, is unscored upon, has yet to walk a batter and has only given up a smattering of baserunners. He;s had 4 saves in one-run games, 1 save in a two-run game and 1 save in a three-run game. The kid is unconscious out there and he's been making some very good hitters look silly at the plate.

Let's take a minute and revel in that.

aaaaaaahhhhhh - that feels good.

I'm sure Paps' hot streak will end at some point and it could be an ugly, ugly ending. But he seems like the type who can shake it off and go back out there ready to succeed immediately.

I wonder if Foulke will be able to get back into the closer role (although he may not really care... especially if the team picks up his option without him meeting the 'games finished' mark in his contract). Could Foulke become a 1-2 inning mid-game assassin like Scot Shields with Paps playing the role of K-Rod at the end? Man that sounds good, doesn't it?
No doubt that the job is Papelbon's to lose.. posted some stats earlier in this thread. He's been more than dominant. He's been flat out sickening. .125OBP against? It's early but that is unholy-good.

When is CoCo coming back?
Preliminary estimates looked like around 3 more weeks from now. Really depends on how quick of a healer he is, however. Luckily it wasn't at the knuckle.

Does anyone else hope that Joey Gathright just beats the absolute crap out of Julian Tavarez tonight?

Tampa Bay shifting Ortiz insanely... 4 OF.. 3 IF on right side.... no SS, no 3B

Ortiz responds by bouncing a double off the monster :thumbup:

DRays are not going to finish in the cellar this year :no: Solid young squad that's doing nothing but improving month to month

:thumbup:

EDIT: Niice heads-up play by Clement there SHOULD end up saving a run

Users who are viewing this thread