What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***The Official 2007 Bronx Bomber Thread*** (1 Viewer)

What are the odds Bernie Williams plays this year for the Yankees?
Why not play him at 1B :banned: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
Given the Yankees lineup they don't need any added production out of the 9 slot. I really like Minky there for his stellar clove. He's come through in clutch spots for the Sox in the past as well...

Why not play him at 1B :banned: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
Can't be worse than future HOFer Doug Mientkiewicz?The older Yankee fans should be used to this - players that gave their heart & soul only to be kicked to the curb.Anybody remember Craig Nettles wearing that ridiculous Padres uniform after his Yankee days?Or how about running Reggie Jackson out of town for Dave Winfield who never won a darned thing in NY

Last edited by a moderator:
' date='Apr 3 2007, 02:28 PM' post='6559040']

Why not play him at 1B :no: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
Given the Yankees lineup they don't need any added production out of the 9 slot. I really like Minky there for his stellar clove. He's come through in clutch spots for the Sox in the past as well...
You mean like this catch?!?Now get out of this thread. :confused:

' date='Apr 3 2007, 04:28 PM' post='6559040']

Why not play him at 1B :unsure: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
Exactly my original point, so then why did Phelps make the roster over Phillips.

' date='Apr 3 2007, 04:28 PM' post='6559040']

Why not play him at 1B :shrug: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
Exactly my original point, so then why did Phelps make the roster over Phillips.
I'm assuming the thinking is that Phelps is only going to start maybe 1/4 of the games (when a lefty starter is in there). They're probably figuring that 1B defense is only going to come into play so many times, and they'd rather the big stick in there on those occasions. Of course, then defense comes into play on opening day which throws the rationale behind that theory right out the window...

Why not play him at 1B :lmao: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
You mean like this catch?!?Now get out of this thread. :lmao:
:lmao: How is complimenting the potency of the Yankee lineup and saying you've got one of the best CI gloves in the game something that offends you?

' date='Apr 3 2007, 03:46 PM' post='6559576']

Why not play him at 1B :lmao: ? Another thing I did not understand was their refusal to consider trying him at 1B.
You mean like this catch?!?Now get out of this thread. :hot:
:kicksrock: How is complimenting the potency of the Yankee lineup and saying you've got one of the best CI gloves in the game something that offends you?
You being in this thread is offensive enough!! ;) I've stayed out of your thread.

Plus, I suck...I thought you were making fun of MELKY :bag: I didn't read it well enough. :lmao:

Welcome back Pettitte!

It may take him a little time to warm up this year but I think AP will be solid, glad to have him back.

This is a terrible terrible game today. The only reason im still watching is beacuse i keep hoping we'll actually do something against the rays pen.

You people are aware that Bob Gibson/Sandy Koufax/Cy Young/Pascual Perez pitched today for the Red Sox, aren't you? Yankee fans should be VERY afraind.

I agree with Shady....very bad 4 hours. Hopefully we can get in a groove now with the Balt. series coming up. I blame the snow.

Just too many boneheaded plays to even list...Pettite is gonna take some time to get into a groove it seems....why he threw to second instead of third on that pickoff opportunity he had ill never know.

NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez had a great opportunity to turn Yankees fans in his favor.Once again, he flopped.
This is the lead in on the ESPN article this morning. This ####### pisses me off so much and it goes straight to the forefront of yankee fans. I have been a fan from day1, even when they sucked in the balboni days, and I have never seen it like this.Forget the fact that we made three errors and posada let two balls go behind him, one, i might add was the differnce in the game. Lets not forget that this isnt the first time jorge has let the winning run score via pass ball, do we boo him? Not a chance. A-rod got up in a spot and got under a fastball, which I think was a little high in the zone(he was quoted as saying it was fat, but he would know better than I would)I love the guy, hes got guts to go out day in and day out for that team and bust his ###. But the media has him being booed FOR EVERY MISTAKE he makes, it is so ridiculous. well there is my rant, I sure hope he goes bananas this year and wins the MVP, then opts out. Yankees fans who boo him have no idea what baseball talent is. Then everyone can cry to Mike and the Mad dog about how cashman let him get away. gotta place the blame somewhere

NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez had a great opportunity to turn Yankees fans in his favor.Once again, he flopped.
This is the lead in on the ESPN article this morning. This ####### pisses me off so much and it goes straight to the forefront of yankee fans. I have been a fan from day1, even when they sucked in the balboni days, and I have never seen it like this.Forget the fact that we made three errors and posada let two balls go behind him, one, i might add was the differnce in the game. Lets not forget that this isnt the first time jorge has let the winning run score via pass ball, do we boo him? Not a chance. A-rod got up in a spot and got under a fastball, which I think was a little high in the zone(he was quoted as saying it was fat, but he would know better than I would)I love the guy, hes got guts to go out day in and day out for that team and bust his ###. But the media has him being booed FOR EVERY MISTAKE he makes, it is so ridiculous. well there is my rant, I sure hope he goes bananas this year and wins the MVP, then opts out. Yankees fans who boo him have no idea what baseball talent is. Then everyone can cry to Mike and the Mad dog about how cashman let him get away. gotta place the blame somewhere
:confused: :shrug: :goodposting: If anything, Bobby Abreu was the one who flopped in that inning. You got bases loaded, 1 out and all you can do is hit a weak dribbler to the pitcher?And I agree with your sentiment that I hope he has an MVP year and then leaves. Yeah it would suck for us, but its a shame what they do to this guy.

Reality Football said:
Messy, messy game.
That is was.....Posada could not get his glove on the ball to save his life.I can't remember the last time I have seen a catcher miss so many balls??

If we had to order players to blame for that game, Id rank them:

1. Posada

2. bullpen

3. Pettitte

4. Jeter

5. Abreu

6. ARod

And whats up with Jeter? 3 errors already?

If we had to order players to blame for that game, Id rank them:

1. Posada

2. bullpen

3. Pettitte

4. Jeter

5. Abreu

6. ARod

And whats up with Jeter? 3 errors already?
Very strange.......it was cold last night so let's hope that attributed to the errors and overall poor play.

Good Gosh - 1st loss of the season ....... it is a 162 game marathon - relax; besides, the NYY ALWAYS seems to play like #### against TB

shadyridr said:
harryhood said:
:banned: :banned: :banned: If anything, Bobby Abreu was the one who flopped in that inning. You got bases loaded, 1 out and all you can do is hit a weak dribbler to the pitcher?And I agree with your sentiment that I hope he has an MVP year and then leaves. Yeah it would suck for us, but its a shame what they do to this guy.
I pretty much don't go to espn's website anymore. They try their best to create the news when there is none, and the A-Rod story is one of the worst offenders.

shadyridr said:
harryhood said:
:unsure: :goodposting: :goodposting: If anything, Bobby Abreu was the one who flopped in that inning. You got bases loaded, 1 out and all you can do is hit a weak dribbler to the pitcher?And I agree with your sentiment that I hope he has an MVP year and then leaves. Yeah it would suck for us, but its a shame what they do to this guy.
I pretty much don't go to espn's website anymore. They try their best to create the news when there is none, and the A-Rod story is one of the worst offenders.
:goodposting: And just like I posted earlier ESPN radio as well.....All you need now is Stephen A Smith's opinion..."Aaaaaand Let me tell you something about this A-Rod, blah blah blah blah blah"

Good Gosh - 1st loss of the season ....... it is a 162 game marathon - relax; besides, the NYY ALWAYS seems to play like #### against TB
Always relaxed AB They do tend to play down to there competition though. TB and KC always seem to give us fits.
GOOD! I am probably the one stressed out ( not about the NYY either)They ought to be able to take 2/3 from the Orioles.Any locals with an update on Damon? Headed to the DL or not?

Ugly, ugly game...

Even with all of the mistakes, the 3 & 4 hitters come up with a chance to put the game away and cannot do anything.

Today is a new day.

MOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!

shadyridr said:
harryhood said:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez had a great opportunity to turn Yankees fans in his favor.

Once again, he flopped.
well there is my rant, I sure hope he goes bananas this year and wins the MVP, then opts out.
And I agree with your sentiment that I hope he has an MVP year and then leaves. Yeah it would suck for us, but its a shame what they do to this guy.
This is classic. The A-Rod apologists love him so much that they want him to leave after this season. :football:

Look, Abreu's AB was clearly the key to the inning. And Posada's defense behind the plate was as awful as it's ever been (and that's saying something). And Jeter has been terrible. What little range he had to his left appears completely gone. But A-Rod DID come up with a chance to do something great, and failed to come through. Maybe it shouldn't be the top story, maybe it should. People lump him in with Posada and Abreu and say they're all at fault, but only one of those guys is the "Best player in baseball". I think that makes it newsworthy because of who he is, and because all of these late game missed opportunities aren't simply made up. When the media generates a story once or twice, you can say it's random or that they're attacking someone unfairly. But when they keep bringing up the same situation and same story over and over again (the "A-Rod fails" angle), it's time to admit that there might be something to it. After all, if there are THAT many reports of him not coming through in big spots, then it must mean he's not coming through a number of times, no? They can't say it if it's not happening.

I'm considering starting a thread kind of like Righetti's that documents each "clutch" AB. I'll list his at-bats game-by-game in situations where the game is in the 7th inning or later and he comes up as at least the tying run. If the numbers work out relatively close to his regular season averages, I'll eat my crow and admit that I've been blinded by media bias. These are the situations that I've complained about him the most. An RBI double to make it 1-0 in the top of the first might be just as important as one in the 8th, but it's not as difficult. Intestinal fortitude and all that. So I'll keep limit it to late-game situations. And for comparison, I'll do one for Jeter as well. Maybe if I have time I can see what it would've been in 2005 and 2006 as well.

Alright, commence bashing me in 3, 2, 1...

shadyridr said:
harryhood said:
NEW YORK (AP) -- Alex Rodriguez had a great opportunity to turn Yankees fans in his favor.

Once again, he flopped.
well there is my rant, I sure hope he goes bananas this year and wins the MVP, then opts out.
And I agree with your sentiment that I hope he has an MVP year and then leaves. Yeah it would suck for us, but its a shame what they do to this guy.
This is classic. The A-Rod apologists love him so much that they want him to leave after this season. :lmao:

Look, Abreu's AB was clearly the key to the inning. And Posada's defense behind the plate was as awful as it's ever been (and that's saying something). And Jeter has been terrible. What little range he had to his left appears completely gone. But A-Rod DID come up with a chance to do something great, and failed to come through. Maybe it shouldn't be the top story, maybe it should. People lump him in with Posada and Abreu and say they're all at fault, but only one of those guys is the "Best player in baseball". I think that makes it newsworthy because of who he is, and because all of these late game missed opportunities aren't simply made up. When the media generates a story once or twice, you can say it's random or that they're attacking someone unfairly. But when they keep bringing up the same situation and same story over and over again (the "A-Rod fails" angle), it's time to admit that there might be something to it. After all, if there are THAT many reports of him not coming through in big spots, then it must mean he's not coming through a number of times, no? They can't say it if it's not happening.

I'm considering starting a thread kind of like Righetti's that documents each "clutch" AB. I'll list his at-bats game-by-game in situations where the game is in the 7th inning or later and he comes up as at least the tying run. If the numbers work out relatively close to his regular season averages, I'll eat my crow and admit that I've been blinded by media bias. These are the situations that I've complained about him the most. An RBI double to make it 1-0 in the top of the first might be just as important as one in the 8th, but it's not as difficult. Intestinal fortitude and all that. So I'll keep limit it to late-game situations. And for comparison, I'll do one for Jeter as well. Maybe if I have time I can see what it would've been in 2005 and 2006 as well.

No, that actually sounds like a good idea

:potkettle:

shadyridr said:
harryhood said:

Once again, he flopped.
This is classic. The A-Rod apologists love him so much that they want him to leave after this season. :mellow:

Ok cool. I'll start it up later tonight when I get home. One question. Should I include productive outs? Obviously grounding or flying out to move someone up to 2B or 3B with 0 outs and down a run helps, but not so much down 2 runs or 1 out already. And one could always say, regardless of whether you're A-Rod or Jeter, you don't make $20 mil to make productive outs. What do you think?

shadyridr said:
harryhood said:

Once again, he flopped.
This is classic. The A-Rod apologists love him so much that they want him to leave after this season. :sleep:

Ok cool. I'll start it up later tonight when I get home. One question. Should I include productive outs? Obviously grounding or flying out to move someone up to 2B or 3B with 0 outs and down a run helps, but not so much down 2 runs or 1 out already. And one could always say, regardless of whether you're A-Rod or Jeter, you don't make $20 mil to make productive outs. What do you think?
Use your judgement. I trust it.How bout something like a +/- system? +1 for productive outs, etc. +2 for clutch hits, -1 for getting out, -2 for leaving runners stranded on 3rd with less than 2 outs, GIDPs, etc. Use your judgement.

and add everytime he does something well too. if you are going to count ground ball outs with RISP as -1, you should give him +1 for that opening day single to lead off the inning....and then another +1 for stealing second and getting himself into scoring position. Gotta call it both ways sir

What are the odds Philip Hughes pitches this year for the Yanks?

I say sometime right after the Allstar break.

LIstening to gameday and chatting on yesnetwork.com ..

Strained left hammy for matsui.

Some swelling... re examining it tomorrow.

Igawa has zero command of the strike zone...the rotaion not looking too good so far this year and using the pen for 4 plus innings every game isnt helping either.

Users who are viewing this thread