What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2018 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (5 Viewers)

It looks like Julio Jones is getting an extension that will average $20M a year on a 4 or 5 year deal.

I wonder how AB and OBJ will react to that. 

https://bleacherreport.com/nfl
Well, OBJ is already off "finding himself", so I'm sure he'll react well.  AB will start talking about how Carr doesn't respect him, and how if the Raiders really valued him they would make him the highest paid WR. 

Miles Boykin would be a great look in a Steelers uni.
Wouldn't hate that, I guess.  A lot of similarities to Bryant, on the field (both good and bad).  No idea if he's also got Bryant's ego/issues off of it (anymore I assume every WR born after the year 1990 must, soooo....yeah, prolly does), but he'd bring a lot of the same game: Crazy length, super fast, and a high-point that maybe only a handful DBs in the entire league could match.  Of course, right now all his skills are just projectable.  He's got the athletic ability to dominate smaller players, but didn''t always do it in college.  He really needs to learn to use the size he has better.  With that height/weight/reach/vert he should consistently be making guys 5'9"/6'0" his kitty on the outside.  I'd expect the scouting report on Bryant was eerily similar to that when his class was getting drafted.

It looks like Julio Jones is getting an extension that will average $20M a year on a 4 or 5 year deal.

I wonder how AB and OBJ will react to that. 

https://bleacherreport.com/nfl
I'm sure they'll just hit Insta/Twitter to congratulate Julio and be happy for h-...

Nope, couldn't do it with a straight face.

Yeah, he was on the practice squad, and they signed him away at the end of the season onto their reserve/future squad I believe. My guess is that he was upset about not making the roster (as were many of us) and knew Mosley was leaving so he'd have a shot next year.

McCullers signed for 2 years $2.75 million. That's not bad, we'll see if he's able to win a spot in camp if we draft any competition for him. 

Also, it's possible that LJ Fort counts as a top 50% ILB contract and helps us retain a compensation pick. There's a lot of ILBs signed to rookie deals or vet minimum deals. 
Wasn’t he is actual games for the steelers?  Why would we let him go to the practice squad instead if keeping him for cheap?  Is Ola still on the team?

curious what our depth chart looks like now. 

Wasn’t he is actual games for the steelers?  Why would we let him go to the practice squad instead if keeping him for cheap?  Is Ola still on the team?

curious what our depth chart looks like now. 
I think Ola bumped Thomas. Ola was moved to the 53 and is still on the team, while Thomas chose to sign somewhere else. 

Jets GM is telling everyone who will listen that Darron Lee is on the trade block. I think that we should trade for him if we can get him for our 4th round pick or less. He's a top 25 LB and would only cost <$2 mil this year, with a 5th year option next year.  Barron could be on a 1-year deal if he doesn't work out, Vince Williams is on the wrong side of 30, and Bostic is just ok. Even if we draft a 1st round Devin this year, we'll still need another LB next year, and pairing one of the Devins with Lee for years to come would be awesome. 

I don't think we make this move, but I think it would make our team immediately better and is low risk. 

Jets GM is telling everyone who will listen that Darron Lee is on the trade block. I think that we should trade for him if we can get him for our 4th round pick or less. He's a top 25 LB and would only cost <$2 mil this year, with a 5th year option next year.  Barron could be on a 1-year deal if he doesn't work out, Vince Williams is on the wrong side of 30, and Bostic is just ok. Even if we draft a 1st round Devin this year, we'll still need another LB next year, and pairing one of the Devins with Lee for years to come would be awesome. 

I don't think we make this move, but I think it would make our team immediately better and is low risk. 
Seems like he's been a big disappointment in New York and was suspended last season for substance abuse.   Why do you think he would be a good fit for the Steelers?

Seems like he's been a big disappointment in New York and was suspended last season for substance abuse.   Why do you think he would be a good fit for the Steelers?
Whoops, I 100% missed the suspension. I was going off PFF grade and my analysis when he was coming out in the draft.  He was strong, fast, and sideline to sideline when he came out, but I don't watch the Jets play all that often. PFF had him in the top 25, so I assumed he was still playing at a high level.

NVM, pass. 

Whoops, I 100% missed the suspension. I was going off PFF grade and my analysis when he was coming out in the draft.  He was strong, fast, and sideline to sideline when he came out, but I don't watch the Jets play all that often. PFF had him in the top 25, so I assumed he was still playing at a high level.

NVM, pass. 
worth a flier for a 6th or 7th don't you think?

I think Lee would be a great low risk flyer. He was fanatstic at OSU following Shazier. If the suspension was for PED’s... I really don’t care. If you think anything less than 70% of these players aren’t on PED’s you probably don’t know much about athletic physique/endurance that would have you believe everyone in the league looks and physically tests like they do. Professional scouts joke about entering the league and going through “second puberty”. Honestly the Jets are a bit foolish to toss Lee away. An athlete of his caliber, still on a rookie deal, thrown away for a 5th to a 7th then has a big season and is recouping a 4th rounder. So the Patriots will be the ones smart enough to do that deal.

I know we’re done with AB but I can’t help but giggle today from his insane tweet and then Landry Jones possibly being the backup to Carr. If anything does happen to Carr, AB sure had no problem calling out Landry’s inability to throw to him even when covered. Gruden is loopy and clearly doesn’t understand the history with the Burfict and Jones signings.

I know we’re done with AB but I can’t help but giggle today from his insane tweet and then Landry Jones possibly being the backup to Carr. If anything does happen to Carr, AB sure had no problem calling out Landry’s inability to throw to him even when covered. Gruden is loopy and clearly doesn’t understand the history with the Burfict and Jones signings.
The Raiders are a dumpster fire in waiting. He called out the Steelers for trading him while he was still asleep. That's what I got from it anyway. It's just antonio hasn't grasped the English language and his writing along with speaking is on par with a 2 year old. So his garbage is hard to comprehend most of the time. But yeah, what could possibly go wrong with brown & burfict on the same team, just too funny for words. 

Most mocks recently have the Devins going in the top 11, and the Steelers either going CB or WR at 20. If the Steelers think that could be the case, I think trading for Lee would be a good idea (if 5th round or later). Often times, a late round pick doesn't even make the team, so it'd be the same as drafting Lee with that late round pick if we end up cutting Lee prior to the season (which would be surprising). I don't like the idea of just having Williams, Barron, and Bostic at ILB along with a mid-round rookie. I think Mack Wilson at the beginning of the 3rd would be ok, but I'm not sure if he'll be good enough at coverage. 

Also, if we don't move around and end up using all 10 of our picks, I hope we double dip at ILB and WR. ILB because I'm dubious about the mid-round linebackers, and WR because I think there's a lot of talent deep into the draft this year.  

Most mocks recently have the Devins going in the top 11, and the Steelers either going CB or WR at 20. If the Steelers think that could be the case, I think trading for Lee would be a good idea (if 5th round or later). Often times, a late round pick doesn't even make the team, so it'd be the same as drafting Lee with that late round pick if we end up cutting Lee prior to the season (which would be surprising). I don't like the idea of just having Williams, Barron, and Bostic at ILB along with a mid-round rookie. I think Mack Wilson at the beginning of the 3rd would be ok, but I'm not sure if he'll be good enough at coverage. 

Also, if we don't move around and end up using all 10 of our picks, I hope we double dip at ILB and WR. ILB because I'm dubious about the mid-round linebackers, and WR because I think there's a lot of talent deep into the draft this year.  
good post.

We do need a TE at some point as well IMO

Behind the Steel curtain says Steelers met with Darnell Savage, S Maryland and Ulysses Gilbert OLB AKRON recently.  

Both seem like Steelers types. 

Bojang0301 said:
I think Lee would be a great low risk flyer. He was fanatstic at OSU following Shazier. If the suspension was for PED’s... I really don’t care. If you think anything less than 70% of these players aren’t on PED’s you probably don’t know much about athletic physique/endurance that would have you believe everyone in the league looks and physically tests like they do. Professional scouts joke about entering the league and going through “second puberty”. Honestly the Jets are a bit foolish to toss Lee away. An athlete of his caliber, still on a rookie deal, thrown away for a 5th to a 7th then has a big season and is recouping a 4th rounder. So the Patriots will be the ones smart enough to do that deal.
Lee was suspended for the final four games on 2018 violating the substance abuse policy.

He will be in his fourth year in 2019 and his salary is only 1.8M but if his fifth year option (for 2020) is not picked up by the acquiring team he will be a UFA at the end of the 2019 season.

The deadline to pickup the fifth year option is the first week of May 2019.   A team can rescind the fifth year option up until the first day of the 2020 NFL year.

The bigger issue I think is Lee's   reputation of being immature and the repeated problems he had on the Jets.  

See below -

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/08/darron-lees-suspension-the-latest-mistake-in-a-long-string-of-disappointments/

Lee was suspended for the final four games on 2018 violating the substance abuse policy.

He will be in his fourth year in 2019 and his salary is only 1.8M but if his fifth year option (for 2020) is not picked up by the acquiring team he will be a UFA at the end of the 2019 season.

The deadline to pickup the fifth year option is the first week of May 2019.   A team can rescind the fifth year option up until the first day of the 2020 NFL year.

The bigger issue I think is Lee's   reputation of being immature and the repeated problems he had on the Jets.  

See below -

https://jetswire.usatoday.com/2018/12/08/darron-lees-suspension-the-latest-mistake-in-a-long-string-of-disappointments/
Just reading the link is enough to make me think the Steelers will (and should) pass.  No distractions in 2019 please.

See below -

HARD PASS! No way no how. Can't have cancers like this on the team anymore. 

Ryan Switzer tweeted that he would follow Big Ben 365 days a year, one of the responses was "Pittsburgh National Media reporting, Switzer refuses to follow Big Ben on Leap Day!!!"  That seems to sum up this offseason pretty well. 
National media seems more accurate but still a great response.

The article says DET should consider it for a 4th rounder - at that price wouldn't it be better to keep Bud?  He hasn't lived up to his first round selection but he hasn't been that bad that they should just dump him for a 4th.  Also, they don't really have any potential studs at the position waiting in the wings (as far as I know).
If the Steelers can get out of that $9.2 million guaranteed they should do it.

If the Steelers can get out of that $9.2 million guaranteed they should do it.
If they trade Bud I won't complain, they know way more than me.  But is anyone ready to step in for Bud if he's traded?  You'd prefer Chickillo to start?  Also, won't that hurt the depth too? 

If they trade Bud I won't complain, they know way more than me.  But is anyone ready to step in for Bud if he's traded?  You'd prefer Chickillo to start?  Also, won't that hurt the depth too? 
I would assume if they trade Dupree they'll pick up an EDGE early in the draft.

I think the Dupree to Detroit is a pipe-dream but anything can happen on draft day I guess, especially if the Steelers want to move into the top 10.   I could see giving up our #1 & #2 plus Dupree to move to Detroit's 8 pick.  That would likely assure at least one of the Devins being there.

I would rather see Ola/Chickillo across from TJ Watt, and have another 4th round pick, and have $9+ mil back in cap space. That would give us more room for resigning people and for potential FA moves next year. 
:goodposting:

also more ammo for trading up this year. Could also use some of the money to sign a cheap OLB like Nick Perry.

The closer it gets to the draft, the less I feel I have a grasp on what the Steelers could do. If Bush is available at 20, I would be shocked if we didn't pick him. I'm currently hoping that QBs get driven up a ridiculous amount, and that several O-linemen get taken, pushing Defensive players further down. Some people are mocking Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Daniel Jones going in the top 20, that would be awesome, but I'm not sure more than 2-3 get taken.  Right now, the list of players I think we could take in the 1st is very long, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, and Devin White will be gone, I think everyone else could be on the table. 

In no particular order, I think we're going to take one of: Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson, Montez Sweat, Brian Burns, Ed Oliver, Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy, Deandre Baker, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence.

I don't think we go OL or WR in the first, I just don't see the value at 20, where there might be great value in rounds 2-3. I also don't think we reach on an ILB if Bush is gone, so we'd go with OLB, TE, CB, or D-line. I think with Edmunds and Davis, we might go safety in the 2nd or 3rd, but I think we pass in the 1st.

I read an interesting take on Ed Oliver: "My issues are; one, it is scheme specific that he has to go to the right team and [be] used in a particular way," said an area scout. "If he were to go to a 3-4 scheme with two awesome ends like Pittsburgh with [Cameron] Heyward on one side and [Stephon] Tuitt on the other, that could work because it would allow him to get off. Or Houston between Watt and Clowney, but that is a tough situation to find."

I think there's a chance that Oliver could be an excellent Pro, and provide great rush ability right up the middle of the O-line, but he'd need 2 great DEs bookending him. Aka the situation in Pitt. Idk that he'll make it to 20, but he reminds me of Juju a bit. Early in Juju's career he was though to be a sure 1st round talent, possibly top 10 because of how great a WR he was at such a young age, then he faltered a bit, but it wasn't 100% his fault. Well, Oliver just last year was viewed as the possible 1st overall pick. He didn't play as well and had some famous on field shenanigans with his coach over a coat. Let the man wear a coat, he's from Texas, he gets cold. He's got skills, but it seems like he played it a bit safe last year and didn't put in 100% to try to not get injured (pure speculation/rumor). Idk if he'll fall to 20, but it seems that each year someone falls to Pitt (not that we always take them).

The closer it gets to the draft, the less I feel I have a grasp on what the Steelers could do. If Bush is available at 20, I would be shocked if we didn't pick him. I'm currently hoping that QBs get driven up a ridiculous amount, and that several O-linemen get taken, pushing Defensive players further down. Some people are mocking Kyler Murray, Dwayne Haskins, Drew Lock, and Daniel Jones going in the top 20, that would be awesome, but I'm not sure more than 2-3 get taken.  Right now, the list of players I think we could take in the 1st is very long, I think it's pretty much guaranteed that Bosa, Quinnen Williams, Josh Allen, and Devin White will be gone, I think everyone else could be on the table. 

In no particular order, I think we're going to take one of: Devin Bush, TJ Hockenson, Montez Sweat, Brian Burns, Ed Oliver, Greedy Williams, Byron Murphy, Deandre Baker, Christian Wilkins, Dexter Lawrence.

I don't think we go OL or WR in the first, I just don't see the value at 20, where there might be great value in rounds 2-3. I also don't think we reach on an ILB if Bush is gone, so we'd go with OLB, TE, CB, or D-line. I think with Edmunds and Davis, we might go safety in the 2nd or 3rd, but I think we pass in the 1st.

I read an interesting take on Ed Oliver: "My issues are; one, it is scheme specific that he has to go to the right team and [be] used in a particular way," said an area scout. "If he were to go to a 3-4 scheme with two awesome ends like Pittsburgh with [Cameron] Heyward on one side and [Stephon] Tuitt on the other, that could work because it would allow him to get off. Or Houston between Watt and Clowney, but that is a tough situation to find."

I think there's a chance that Oliver could be an excellent Pro, and provide great rush ability right up the middle of the O-line, but he'd need 2 great DEs bookending him. Aka the situation in Pitt. Idk that he'll make it to 20, but he reminds me of Juju a bit. Early in Juju's career he was though to be a sure 1st round talent, possibly top 10 because of how great a WR he was at such a young age, then he faltered a bit, but it wasn't 100% his fault. Well, Oliver just last year was viewed as the possible 1st overall pick. He didn't play as well and had some famous on field shenanigans with his coach over a coat. Let the man wear a coat, he's from Texas, he gets cold. He's got skills, but it seems like he played it a bit safe last year and didn't put in 100% to try to not get injured (pure speculation/rumor). Idk if he'll fall to 20, but it seems that each year someone falls to Pitt (not that we always take them).
I know they need defense but if Hockenson is there they should run to the podium

Bush is meeting with the Bengals, so probably have to trade into top 10. Too bad AB ####ed us and the Bills. If they think he is Shazier reincarnated, move up. If he is just another potential good/great LB, wait and go bpa at 20. 

Saw an article yesterday saying "Steelers will take Devin Bush if he's available." Yeah, obviously, but you don't need to tell the world about it. At this point it sounds like we'd need to trade into the top 10 to guarantee getting him, which is ridiculous. ILBs are usually the position that falls, and this draft has some D-line, QBs, and Edge guys that should go top 10, but I keep seeing the two Devin's mocked that high. Really sucks. 

Right now draft %'s:

• Greedy Williams: 50%
  • Byron Murphy: 10%
  • Deandre Baker: 10%
  • N'keal Harry: 10%
  • DK Metcalf: 10%
  • Random D-Lineman: 10%
If we trade up:

• Devin Bush: 90%
  • Devin White: 10%
If neither of the Devins falls to 20, I think we go CB, WR, or D-Line if the value is there. I almost hope that we trade back if the ILBs are gone, because I view most of the players from 15-30 around the same.  I don't think there's a large chance we go TE, OL, QB, RB, or S in the 1st. Also, I think we could go WR in the 1st, but I think it's more likely that we try to wait until the 2nd/3rd to get a solid WR. If we take Hakeem Butler in the 1st (recently being mocked) I'd be pretty bummed, I think he's overrated and too tall to succeed as a great WR. 

Users who are viewing this thread