What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ***OFFICIAL*** 2019 Pittsburgh Steelers Thread (2 Viewers)

Why are we worrying about next year?  Season isn't over just yet!
Not yet but pretty close.  Even mediocre QB play down the stretch would have gotten us to the playoffs. It is hard to see Duck suddenly have a good game against the Ravens but anything’s possible I guess.

Given the backup QB situation and uncertainty with Ben it seems reasonable to consider their options for next year.

I only want 2 things from this off-season, to get a new OC and to resign Javon Hargrave.  Unfortunately, I doubt either happens. I think we hold on to Randy even though our Offense is the worst in the league in so many metrics. Yes, we've had injuries, but that doesn't mean the play calling hasn't been horrendous. And I'm not sure we have enough money to resign Hargrave. 

With a Steelers Win

In Week 17, if the Pittsburgh Steelers can defeat the Baltimore Ravens, they will move in the sixth seed for the playoffs if the Houston Texans defeat the Tennessee Titans. If the Titans were to win, they would remain in the sixth seed regardless of any other outcomes. The Steelers are the only team which could be in a tie with the Titans if they are victorious, and the Titans hold the tiebreaker against the Steelers.

With a Steelers Loss

If the Steelers were to lose in Week 17, there is still a scenario in which they could make the playoffs. If the Steelers, Titans, and Colts are the only three teams tied at 8-8, the Steelers would have the advantage in the three-way tiebreaker. If the Oakland Raiders are also in the mix at 8-8, they would hold the tiebreaker in the four-way split and would be the final team in the playoffs. Ironically, the Colts are an important team in the equation, but cannot actually get to the sixth seed in any scenario.

Game-by-game qualifier

In an attempt to simplify the situation, here is a game-by-game breakdown as to who will be in the playoffs based on the outcome of the four games which could factor in to the final seedings. It will start with the least number of games involved and expand out to others based on results.

Titans win: Titans make the playoffs

Titans lose, Steelers win: Steelers make the playoffs

Titans lose, Steelers lose, Colts lose: Titans make the playoffs

Titans lose, Steelers lose, Colts win, Raiders lose: Steelers make the playoffs

Titans lose, Steelers lose, Colts win, Raiders win: Raiders make the playoffs

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/12/26/21034931/afc-playoff-picture-where-the-steelers-reside-heading-into-week-17-titans-ravens-chiefs-texans-nfl

Love to get to the playoffs. You play to win the game.

For 2020 though I see no path where a $33 million Ben gets us a SB.  I think the NFL recipe has changed and the Steelers are missing key needs on offense.

The QB must be mobile and able to evade the pocket To throw or run to advance the ball earning first downs.  Ben is no longer that.

You need a RB who can get 1 yd when you need it.  See Mark Ingram.

You need a RB who can catch more than just screen passes. Ekeler

IE the RB is not a workhorse position anymore.  The human body should not be expected to survive that

And you need a diverse set of WR/TE so that your play calling is not limited.

Best QB’s this year.   Jackson, Wilson, Watson, Mahommes, .....and even at 40+ Brees can move and they sub in that guy a lot.

Each of these guys has at least one big strong target, Andrews, Nuk, Kelce, Thomas.  Yeah I missed the Seahawks there but I actually think Wilson might be the best QB in the NFL right now.  Take out Duck and insert Wilson and we are as good as anyone.

We lack a physically dominant WR/TE

None of our QB run well.

We don’t have a 1 yd RB.

I get being loyal but holding up the franchise is not part of the deal.  Ben is worth 10-14 million at most imo.

There is no one formula to the Super Bowl.  I don’t see a Pat Mahomes or Lamar Jackson’s in this draft that’s going to play for the Steelers next year. 

Ben Roethlisberger is their best chance of getting there for the foreseeable future.

There is no one formula to the Super Bowl.  I don’t see a Pat Mahomes or Lamar Jackson’s in this draft that’s going to play for the Steelers next year. 

Ben Roethlisberger is their best chance of getting there for the foreseeable future.
Well you are likely right.

I don't think/know if he can be restructured further unless he were to extend knowing he'd likely not play it out.  I don't blame Ben for that but he is somewhat in a position where he can buy himself a few nice targets to throw to and/or some blocking to keep him upright.

Drake, K Hunt Breida and Ekeler are free agents.  And D Henry but that ain't happening.  I love Ekeler.

A few good WR's are out there but that is actually thin.  I like Cooper at a decent price but really if we can add a good TE and an Ekeler then JuJu, Diontae and JW look much better.  We NEED 

The TE list looks good.  H Henry, Hooper, Eifert, Ebron?  I feel like this is a primary need and it needs to be a guy who is good on Day one.

If we are gonna threaten we need to trade or buy some ready to go offense.

Looks like Tennessee will have a walk in the park today. Watson not playing & sounds like Hopkins little to no playing time. Oh well.

irish eyes said:
Looks like Tennessee will have a walk in the park today. Watson not playing & sounds like Hopkins little to no playing time. Oh well.
Steelers have only themselves to blame.  Doesn’t matter - Tennessee poses much more of a threat in the playoffs than the Steelers do.  They deserve it (as much as I hope for a miracle today)

When Ben went down, at least they got the opportunity to see how much Rudolph sucks and to know he isn't the future in Pittsburgh.  Jalen Hurts anyone?

When Ben went down, at least they got the opportunity to see how much Rudolph sucks and to know he isn't the future in Pittsburgh.  Jalen Hurts anyone?
At this point I‘d be happy if they sign freaking Andy Dalton and would be ecstatic about Fitzpatrick. 

At this point I‘d be happy if they sign freaking Andy Dalton and would be ecstatic about Fitzpatrick. 
I disagree.  Ben should have a few more years in him and the last thing you need is a retread.  Pittsburgh has to think about a QB of the future if there is one they like in this draft.

irish eyes said:
if the Chargers beat the Chiefs that may change

I like Dalton for you guys next year. He can be a game manager plus. With your defense you’d be in the playoffs two weeks ago with a Dalton type. Would also be a good move to bring in a solid vet RB. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I like Dalton for you guys next year. He can be a game manager plus. With your defense you’d be in the playoffs two weeks ago with a Dalton type. Would also be a good move to bring in a solid vet RB. 
How is Dalton better than Roethlisberger?  He should be back next year.

That's not how you draft. Can't force those things.
They need to pick one high.  It’s time to start drafting guys with potential until they hit.  Duck and Mason are not the answer and Ben is 38 and fat.  I don’t care how good the team is.  You’re not winning anything without a legit QB

irish eyes said:
Houston putting up a fight for sure

mccarron wants a new miss alabama

Steelers need to sign a really decent backup in the off season. And overpay if necessary. I cant watch this pathetic junior high display

Steelers need to go after Mariotta, Bridgewater, or even Dalton.. 

But something tells me they will release Hodges, draft a QB in the mid rounds, and roll with Big Ben, Mason, a rookie.

Well you are likely right.

I don't think/know if he can be restructured further unless he were to extend knowing he'd likely not play it out.  I don't blame Ben for that but he is somewhat in a position where he can buy himself a few nice targets to throw to and/or some blocking to keep him upright.

Drake, K Hunt Breida and Ekeler are free agents.  And D Henry but that ain't happening.  I love Ekeler.

A few good WR's are out there but that is actually thin.  I like Cooper at a decent price but really if we can add a good TE and an Ekeler then JuJu, Diontae and JW look much better.  We NEED 

The TE list looks good.  H Henry, Hooper, Eifert, Ebron?  I feel like this is a primary need and it needs to be a guy who is good on Day one.

If we are gonna threaten we need to trade or buy some ready to go offense.
Steelers aren't signing any of those guys.. Not even worth discussing.

They are going to have to bring in a backup QB, but no way they sign a RB with Conner and drafting Snell. TE is pointless cause they don't use the decent one they have now.

:mellow:   They drafted Dobbs. Then drafted Rudolph. Then signed Duck.

That is them addressing the QB , and obviously being aware of the need, 3 years in a row.
What is your solution?  Obviously the team has a defense that is ready to win.  If Dobbs, Rudolph and Duck haven’t panned out, it doesn’t necessarily mean that QB isn’t still their biggest need.  I don’t think they want to necessarily make a giant reach at the position but I do believe that it’s probably their biggest need at this point.  

What is your solution?  Obviously the team has a defense that is ready to win.  If Dobbs, Rudolph and Duck haven’t panned out, it doesn’t necessarily mean that QB isn’t still their biggest need.  I don’t think they want to necessarily make a giant reach at the position but I do believe that it’s probably their biggest need at this point.  
I would throw next year and draft Trevor Lawrence in 2021.

Tomlin probably could have been considered coach of the year 3 weeks ago but what a horrible ending to the season.  Now it's mostly due to the fact that he had a high school level QB at the helm but the run/pass ratio was perplexing given that.  

Dobbs's accuracy issues were/are real, have been present since the moment he stepped foot onto the field at UT, never got one bit better, and they are legion.  They'd have been no better with Dobbs.  Maybe not worse either, but not any better.

Kaepernick?  Had they signed him, like, RIGHT after Ben got hurt and let him get up to speed?  I think that's a much better/more interesting argument than Dobbs, even though I'm not sure he'd have got them there either.  I almost have to believe he'd have been better than Rudolph/The Duck given a month in the system, just because of how lousy the QB play was this year overall.

Steelers aren't signing any of those guys.. Not even worth discussing.

They are going to have to bring in a backup QB, but no way they sign a RB with Conner and drafting Snell. TE is pointless cause they don't use the decent one they have now.
I don’t even know what I’m watching and I see a need.

If we are going with 3 #2 WR’s then we need a good TE and a good receiving RB.  That allows a good QB to move the ball.

Keep juju, Deontae and JW

Keep VM and pray he is healthy

sign ekeler?  I think he comes cheap is why.

For me, McDonald and Connor can go.  I think Ben will flourish with a dominant TE and that complements the WR’s we have.  And the chargers are all set to get taken.

But I’m sure we will see a 33 million Ben team struggle.  Because we are loyal.

But I’m sure we will see a 33 million Ben team
Of course we will - the Steelers made this decision last year when they resigned him to that huge contract.  And he is still the best chance for the Steelers to win a Super Bowl in the next two years, we have to hope he comes back close to his level of play in 2017.

I would like them to sign a veteran backup for next year and insurance against another Ben injury and that vet could also be used as the stopgap / bridge / whatever to the next franchise QB whomever that is.

My hope for QB next year is Ben, some veteran, some rookie.

More likely: Ben, some veteran, Mason.

Would not like:  Ben, Mason, some rookie.

Well, damn. The team wouldn't have had a shot against any contenders with our offense, but it still would have been nice to have made it to the big dance. On to next year. 

I really hope they fire Randy Fichtner, but I doubt they will. "He had to work with backup QBs" will be the excuse, but the play calling still sucked. We rank near last in almost every single offensive category, and other teams had to play backups and did better. 

Oh **itburgers. The Steelers are eligible for Hard Knocks. It would be bad for the team and be a distraction during the offseason, but I can't lie and say I wouldn't be excited to watch. It's the first time they've ever been eligible, but the Steelers don't have a 1st round pick and that's usually a focal point of the show. When do they pick the Hard Knocks team? If the Steelers pick a QB in the 2nd or 3rd I could see us being chosen. 

Users who are viewing this thread