What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The ONE sporting event/moment you'll never forgive (1 Viewer)

Carlos Beltran taking a called strike 3 to end Game 7 of the Mets-Cards 2006 National League Championship.
Swing!

Carlos Beltran taking a called strike 3 to end Game 7 of the Mets-Cards 2006 National League Championship.
Swing!
That was bad. Mets and Yankees were the best teams in baseball that year and were set up to play again the World Series, but both fell flat.

Giants vs SF playoff game (the Trey Junkin game)

Giants attempt a field goal with a couple of seconds left to win the game. Bad snap. Holder picks up the ball and heaves it downfield, SF defenders just outright tackle the receiver, drag him down, and smother him before the ball even arrives.

The most blatant pass interference you've ever seen. Everyone on the field throws a yellow flag at it. The Giants get one untimed down at the spot to retry the FG for the win, and from that distance, it should be a gimme and the Giants will go through to the next round of the playoffs and eliminate the Niners.

BUT

The refs huddle. Decide the receiver wasn't eligible, therefore, no pass interference. They all pick up their flags, announce the game over, SF wins, and jog into the tunnel.

BUT

The coach of the Giants is livid. Chases down the refs and remind them that the receiver DID indeed declare himself eligible before the play. Therefore, it was indeed pass interference. The Giants are owed one untimed down.

The refs... shrug. "Oh yeah, but, I already announced it on the PA, game is over." The refs can't be seen to reverse a call like that, it would weaken their authority. NFL Commissioner issues a statement on it. "The referees were wrong. The Giants should have been given one untimed down. We will not be fixing this. The Niners play next week."

Despite the fact that it could have been fixed 30 seconds after happening, that no play occurred in the meantime, that everyone was there and they could have run back out and solved it immediately, nothing was done. The Giants were eliminated from the playoffs in a game that had a play left.

I've never seen such a completely fixable situation be ignored like this.

I am still bitter about it. They should have told the teams to go back on the field and finish the game. They could have run a play within a minute or two. They could have dragged the teams out of the locker rooms after 30 minutes or an hour or a couple of hours after the game after a phone call with the commissioner. But they didn't, because getting it right in a playoff game was less important to the game than how the game looked on TV.

It’s either one of these two…

Gary Anderson missing the FG against ATL or

My freshman year at Purdue, they were ranked #1 most of the year with Lewis, Mitchell and Stevens. Mitch Richmond banked in a 3 pointer to knock them out in Detroit. Just a crushing still to this day.

That should be a forgotten memory after the following year. Curse you, Dave Roberts.

But that led to the 2004 ALCS which is the best series in baseball history and because 2003 happened it made it better.

You'd think so. It's possible that is the case. But the night of Game Seven in 2003 and its aftermath provided a pretty awful October that lasted until the next October. I was a diehard back then and lived and died with the Red Sox. That stung all the way until the next year, and when the Sox went down 0-3 in 2004, New England was probably the most depressing place on earth.

Yes, the 2004 ALCS comeback was the greatest sports spectating moment I've ever had and nothing will come close, but 2003 was still a shame even if it was inextricably linked to the joy of 2004.

Let's just say I would have rather seen the Sox go back-to-back, which they very well could have.
Infuriates me to this day that Wake felt the need to take out an ad in the Globe apologizing for the HR. Of course it was 100% on Grady. But Wake was always such a class act. RIP.

But Wake was always such a class act. RIP.

Indeed he was. There was no need for him to feel like he cost Boston anything that year.

I'm still having trouble convincing myself that both he and his wife are gone. It just happened so quickly and out of the blue. I never really even processed his or her death. What a shame, and the word "shame" isn't quite strong enough. What an awful shock.

Tim Wakefield and Stacy Stover

RIP

Think the title is pretty self explanatory...

Anyways, it really hit me yesterday, for no reason at all, that I far too often think about one sporting event that makes my blood boil. It's truly odd because 1) I was never a big fan of said player (but appreciated his greatness) and 2) never liked a team he played on until he came to my "hometown" team, but was pretty washed by then.

For some reason, and I've lived some insane sporting moments with clubs I support, this event sticks out to me and irks me to my core.

Terrel Owens HoF snubbing.

The NFL can eat a bag of soggy chips for eternity over this one - And you?
What am I missing here? He’s in the hall of fame. Did he just get passed over the first year he was eligible?

Top of my head, it was 3 or 4yrs, but felt like an eternity.

He's a unanimous top 5 GOAT (often top 3) when you ask NFL players about WRs, but there was some stupid vendetta against him.

A player of that calibre should be lauded by the league, not dragged like an idiot for years waiting to get into something that they should've begged him to be part of

There was, and still is to some degree, a huge backlog of WRs with HoF level careers at the time. It similarly took Isaac Bruce until 2020 to get in when he retired in 2009. It wasn't just a TO thing

Edit - see also Tim Brown, Cris Carter, Andre Reed etc

Anyways, it really hit me yesterday, for no reason at all, that I far too often think about one sporting event that makes my blood boil. It's truly odd because 1) I was never a big fan of said player (but appreciated his greatness) and 2) never liked a team he played on until he came to my "hometown" team, but was pretty washed by then.

For some reason, and I've lived some insane sporting moments with clubs I support, this event sticks out to me and irks me to my core.

What am I missing here? He’s in the hall of fame. Did he just get passed over the first year he was eligible?

He's a unanimous top 5 GOAT (often top 3) when you ask NFL players about WRs, but there was some stupid vendetta against him.

A player of that calibre should be lauded by the league, not dragged like an idiot for years waiting to get into something that they should've begged him to be part of

There was, and still is to some degree, a huge backlog of WRs with HoF level careers at the time. It similarly took Isaac Bruce until 2020 to get in when he retired in 2009. It wasn't just a TO thing

No excuse will work for me on this one. An easy top 5 WR alltime... Man was absolutely unreal.

And if you think there wasn't some NFL greasy politics behind it, he didn't even make the NFL all-time 100 list.

Every NFL player's top 3-5 alltime WR not in the top 100. Right.

If you’re talking about more like a decision or choice, probably the sixers firing Sam hinkie/nba colluding with h Jerry colangelo to remove him

I know what you're saying, but TO was deliberately held out because of his antics off of the field.

I'm not as upset about it as Soulfly3 because his off-field antics definitely affected his teams in a massively negative way at times, but he would have been a first-ballot but for his behavior.

Ewing not dunking and instead missed a finger roll that would have went in 99/100
Similarly, John Starks going 2-for-18 from the field (including 0-for-11 from 3-point land) in Game 7 of the 1994 Finals. He was lights out all year long and then that clunker when it mattered most.

Bad enough that we had to endure that series with the TV split screen focused on the OJ car chase.
Preach.

Gary Anderson.
I still can't watch the replay of that game.
Never have, and I exepct I never will.
I was fifteen and in a bowling alley lounge. I dropped to my knees.* Remember it vividly so while I’ve never seen a replay, I don’t need to.

*I did the same with the Favre interception, the Blair Walsh pull miss, the Beltran strikeout, and the walk issued to the Yankees to lose the Subway Series. What hurt about the Anderson miss, compared to the others, was that I fully expected a make by Anderson and legitimately confident they would win the Super Bowl (I was nervous and unsure with the others).

No excuse will work for me on this one. An easy top 5 WR alltime... Man was absolutely unreal.

And if you think there wasn't some NFL greasy politics behind it, he didn't even make the NFL all-time 100 list.

Every NFL player's top 3-5 alltime WR not in the top 100. Right.
I'm with you on this. #3 all-time yards and TDs (vs for provided example Bruce: #5 yards and #15 TDs).

TO's kind of dominance takes precedence.

Also, not a Tigers fan, but haven't seen the Armando Galaragga blown call to prevent his perfect game moment mentioned. Obviously horribly unfair and a memorable event.

That said, the aftermath of how great Galaragga was about it and how contrite the ump was may actually wind up making this even more positively memorable than the actual perfect game.

I still remember like it was yesterday 88 World Series, 3 and 2 the count with 2 out and a runner on second. The year's most dominant closer in Dennis Eckersley and an injured Kirk Gibson at the plate.......

Last edited:
I still remember like it was yesterday 88 World Series, 3 and 2 the count with 2 out and a runner on second. The year's most dominant closer in Dennis Eckersley and an injured Kirk Gibson at the plate.......

I suck at typing

I still remember like it was yesterday 98 World Series, 3 and 2 the count with 2 out and a runner on second. The year's most dominant closer in Dennis Eckersley and an injured Kirk Gibson at the plate.......

And that Vin Scully call :chefs kiss:

Gary Anderson.
I still can't watch the replay of that game.
Never have, and I exepct I never will.
I was fifteen and in a bowling alley lounge. I dropped to my knees.* Remember it vividly so while I’ve never seen a replay, I don’t need to.

*I did the same with the Favre interception, the Blair Walsh pull miss,
the Beltran strikeout, and the walk issued to the Yankees to lose the Subway Series. What hurt about the Anderson miss, compared to the others, was that I fully expected a make by Anderson and legitimately confident they would win the Super Bowl (I was nervous and unsure with the others).
I can pretty much tell you where I was at with all of these as well. I thing the biggest thing with the Anderson miss is 1) Why does Green take a knee in the first place? You have the Freak in Randy Moss, throw it up and let him get it like you have been doing all year. 2) Like was said, Anderson hadn't missed a kick all year! I do remember watching a Documentary on that team one time and I think it was Randle that said the Defense was so banged up, that they weren't sure who would be able to play in the Superbowl.

On a good side, I also remember where I was for the Minneapolis Miracle. My friends son was balling because it looked like they were going to lose and all of us Adults told him that if he was going to be a Viking fan he better get used to it. Not long after he was very happy lol.

1. I wasn't living here then nor a Cardinals fan at the time, but the blown call by Don Deckinger in the 9th inning of Game 6 in the World Series is something everyone who grew up here gets sick about when brought up. Almost certainly cost the Cardinals the World Series with a single blown call.
I see nothing wrong with that call.

The Bears one loss in 1985 was a MNF game against Miami.

Buddy Ryan called incessant blitzes against Marino, leaving Gary Fencik and Dave Duerson in one-on-coverage against Clayton/Duper. The blitzes were usually so ferocious that it didn't matter who was covering because no QB had the time or arm strength to take advantage--but now they faced a guy with one of the strongest and quickest releases in the history of the game.

The story is that Buddy Ryan was about to alter his strategy until Ditka showed him up on the sidelines by yelling at him, and at halftime threatening to whoop his ***. Buddy's ego took over and he kept calling blitzes out of spite.

Ditka would not have dared take over play-calling because he knew Buddy was revered by his players and there would have been a mutiny.

So, a perfect season was ruined by a stupid feud.

• Love
Reactions: SWC

Users who are viewing this thread