What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The "Peyton Manning benefits by playing in a dome" argument (1 Viewer)

Ghost Rider

Footballguy
For years, some used to say that Peyton Manning benefited by playing home games in a dome and how he would struggle if he had to play the majority of his games outside.

Well...despite playing for the Broncos now, and having 15 of his 16 games outside, Peyton still managed to:

-Throw 37 touchdowns (the 2nd highest total of his career)

-Throw only 11 interceptions (his lowest since '06, and the 5th lowest of his career)

-Throw for 8.0 YPA (the 3rd highest YPA of his career)

-Lead the league in QBR, while posting his 2nd highest passer rating to date

-Lead the league in completion percentage

-Lead the Broncos to a 13-3 record, the number 1 seed in the AFC and one of the biggest point differential turnarounds in NFL history.

:popcorn:

Last edited by a moderator:
It isn't outdoor vs. indoor. It is poor weather vs. perfect weather. So far this year Manning hasn't played in a single cold game. Denver has been incredibly warm for all the home games. Let's see what happens in the playoffs if it is cold.

It isn't outdoor vs. indoor. It is poor weather vs. perfect weather. So far this year Manning hasn't played in a single cold game. Denver has been incredibly warm for all the home games. Let's see what happens in the playoffs if it is cold.
What are you talking about? It was 5 degrees below freezing this last sunday when Peyton beat down the Chiefs.

What are you talking about? It was 5 degrees below freezing this last sunday when Peyton beat down the Chiefs.
Don't stop him with facts, he's on a roll.

No it wasn't - 35 degrees with no wind. Cold but not horrible weather. We'll see - I am sure some of the playoff games will be poor and historically he hasn't performed well in those conditions.

No it wasn't - 35 degrees with no wind. Cold but not horrible weather. We'll see - I am sure some of the playoff games will be poor and historically he hasn't performed well in those conditions.
I was at the game and it was cold as hell. There was gusts of of wind up to 20+ MPH. As you can see by this weather channel link, the game started at 32 degrees (felt like 22) and got colder. By the end of the game it was 28 degrees and felt like 16, with 17 MPH winds. Again, what in the world are you talking about? http://www.weather.com/weather/pastweather/hourly/Denver+CO+USCO0105:1:US?startdate=20121230

The indoor vs. outdoor thing comes down to one fact: Peyton isn't as good in windy games.

In 31 career games in the wind, his QBR is 83.5, with 44 TDs vs. 32 INTs.

This year?

Overall QBR: 105.8

Windy games: 93.7

The indoor vs. outdoor thing comes down to one fact: Peyton isn't as good in windy games.In 31 career games in the wind, his QBR is 83.5, with 44 TDs vs. 32 INTs.This year? Overall QBR: 105.8Windy games: 93.7
Is there a QB that is just as good, or better, on windy days? Inherently, the wind is going to make for worse QB performances. Also, where are you getting the stats for which games were windy and which were not? Did you include last Sunday against the Chiefs when he dominated in 15+ MPH winds?

The indoor vs. outdoor thing comes down to one fact: Peyton isn't as good in windy games.In 31 career games in the wind, his QBR is 83.5, with 44 TDs vs. 32 INTs.This year? Overall QBR: 105.8Windy games: 93.7
He throws a ####### ball through the air. No one is as good in wind.

Is there a QB that is just as good, or better, on windy days? Inherently, the wind is going to make for worse QB performances. Also, where are you getting the stats for which games were windy and which were not? Did you include last Sunday against the Chiefs when he dominated in 15+ MPH winds?
Tom Brady's career QBR is 96.6. Windy game QBR? 98.4.Aaron Rodgers career QBR is 104.9. Windy game QBR? 104.5.Ben Rothlisberger career QBR is 92.7. Windy game QBR? 93.6.These are official NFL stats.

I was at the game and it was cold as hell. There was gusts of of wind up to 20+ MPH. As you can see by this weather channel link, the game started at 32 degrees (felt like 22) and got colder. By the end of the game it was 28 degrees and felt like 16, with 17 MPH winds. Again, what in the world are you talking about? http://www.weather.com/weather/pastweather/hourly/Denver+CO+USCO0105:1:US?startdate=20121230
That is tropical weather compared to the Giants vs. Packers NFC Champ game a few years ago. You want to talk about cold, go to one of those games in Lambeau. (Favre's last game as a Packer) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007%E2%80%9308_NFL_playoffs#NFC_Championship:_New_York_Giants_23.2C_Green_Bay_Packers_20_.28OT.29

Tom Brady's career QBR is 96.6. Windy game QBR? 98.4.Aaron Rodgers career QBR is 104.9. Windy game QBR? 104.5.Ben Rothlisberger career QBR is 92.7. Windy game QBR? 93.6.These are official NFL stats.
Interesting that Brady and Roethlisberger have played better in the wind. Do you have a link to these stats?

Both:My link

and

My link

report kickoff at 35 degrees.

The game did get colder later - but Manning left the game mid 3rd quarter.

I heard Manning's accuracy is turrible when he throws with his left arm during a tsunami

Guy stinks!

Didn't he win MVP in the Super Bowl in horrible weather? Now I believe Dom Rhodes should have won MVP that night, but Manning did win it in a monsoon.

Oh wow he beat the Chiefs when it was cold outside? I guess that changes everything I know....The Chiefs suck, this by no means says anything about Manning and what he will do when he is playing better teams in the playoffs, in most likely as cold or colder weather.

Also the reason you will see an increase in his stats is the following:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Passing Defense Ranking:

6 Games against:

Raiders - 30th

Chiefs - 31st

Chargers - 18th

4 Games against:

Saints - 28th

Buccaneers - 26th

Patriots - 23rd

Browns - 20th

Thats 10 of his 16 games against some of the worst pass defenses in the league. Not saying other QBs might have easier just showing that this year along can not be used on the outdoor vs indoor debate.

Also the reason you will see an increase in his stats is the following:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdefPassing Defense Ranking:6 Games against:Raiders - 30thChiefs - 31stChargers - 18th4 Games against:Saints - 28thBuccaneers - 26thPatriots - 23rdBrowns - 20thThats 10 of his 16 games against some of the worst pass defenses in the league. Not saying other QBs might have easier just showing that this year along can not be used on the outdoor vs indoor debate.
What is your response to post #20?

Also the reason you will see an increase in his stats is the following:http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdefPassing Defense Ranking:6 Games against:Raiders - 30thChiefs - 31stChargers - 18th4 Games against:Saints - 28thBuccaneers - 26thPatriots - 23rdBrowns - 20thThats 10 of his 16 games against some of the worst pass defenses in the league. Not saying other QBs might have easier just showing that this year along can not be used on the outdoor vs indoor debate.
Obviously. Manning is the first QB in history to face sub-par opponents.

Didn't he win MVP in the Super Bowl in horrible weather? Now I believe Dom Rhodes should have won MVP that night, but Manning did win it in a monsoon.
1 game does not make a career.Manning in Super Bowl-25/38 - 247 - 1 TD - 1 INT - 1 FumbleIndy Defense:2 Interceptions3 Fumbles1 TDVinatieri - 3 FGsColts Rushing:191 Yards - 42 Carries - 1 TDIt was hardly Manning carrying the Colts to a win, it was mostly the rushing game and Bears turnovers that got the Colts the win. Did the threat of Manning throw off the Bears? Possibly but the point was he had just a okay quarterback output.

Also the reason you will see an increase in his stats is the following:

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/teamdef

Passing Defense Ranking:

6 Games against:

Raiders - 30th

Chiefs - 31st

Chargers - 18th

4 Games against:

Saints - 28th

Buccaneers - 26th

Patriots - 23rd

Browns - 20th

Thats 10 of his 16 games against some of the worst pass defenses in the league. Not saying other QBs might have easier just showing that this year along can not be used on the outdoor vs indoor debate.
Obviously. Manning is the first QB in history to face sub-par opponents.
NOT SAYING THAT, I said others face just as easy or easier teams. I am saying you can't simply take this and extrapolate it against his previous years when he was in the dome.

1 game does not make a career.Manning in Super Bowl-25/38 - 247 - 1 TD - 1 INT - 1 FumbleIndy Defense:2 Interceptions3 Fumbles1 TDVinatieri - 3 FGsColts Rushing:191 Yards - 42 Carries - 1 TDIt was hardly Manning carrying the Colts to a win, it was mostly the rushing game and Bears turnovers that got the Colts the win. Did the threat of Manning throw off the Bears? Possibly but the point was he had just a okay quarterback output.
He managed the game well and I thought Rhodes should have won MVP, but Manning did. He didn't play badly in horrible weather. I've watched almost every Manning game going back to his days in Tennessee and he has had good games in bad weather, regardless of what happened in New England. The Colts as a "TEAM" were built for turf, but proved to be very good in the slop in the Super Bowl, especially at controlling the line of scrimmage against the Bears.

People act like your saying Manning is the worst QB ever if you don't agree he is just as good indoors as outdoors.

Personally Rodgers right now has the issue where you almost want to play in the south or domes for the playoffs to give the Packers a better chance. It also happened with Favre later in his career when he could not play very well in extremely cold games most likely due to stiffness from all the hits he took over the years.

Manning still has been a top QB no matter what but the dome did help, now how much? We really can't know for certain most likely.

1 game does not make a career.Manning in Super Bowl-

25/38 - 247 - 1 TD - 1 INT - 1 Fumble

Indy Defense:

2 Interceptions

3 Fumbles

1 TD

Vinatieri - 3 FGs

Colts Rushing:

191 Yards - 42 Carries - 1 TD

It was hardly Manning carrying the Colts to a win, it was mostly the rushing game and Bears turnovers that got the Colts the win. Did the threat of Manning throw off the Bears? Possibly but the point was he had just a okay quarterback output.
He managed the game well and I thought Rhodes should have won MVP, but Manning did. He didn't play badly in horrible weather. I've watched almost every Manning game going back to his days in Tennessee and he has had good games in bad weather, regardless of what happened in New England. The Colts as a "TEAM" were built for turf, but proved to be very good in the slop in the Super Bowl, especially at controlling the line of scrimmage against the Bears.
This is a bigger question, is it Dome vs outdoors? or is it Turf vs Grass?Does one give an inherit benefit to the offense? Does Turf with the speed and cutting ability give a benefit?

Are you suggesting an asterisk next to his name in Canton?

* Guy sucked outside of a dome.

Remember... it's in Canton.

Oh wow he beat the Chiefs when it was cold outside? I guess that changes everything I know....The Chiefs suck, this by no means says anything about Manning and what he will do when he is playing better teams in the playoffs, in most likely as cold or colder weather.
:goodposting: If you are making an argument for Manning, the Chiefs don't help. Every team gets the ball back after KC runs 3 plays.

Are you suggesting an asterisk next to his name in Canton?* Guy sucked outside of a dome.Remember... it's in Canton.
* and temperatures below 32 degrees, except the games he didn't which will obviously be thrown out.
Who said he has to suck? We are saying is he still the same quarterback when playing outside his whole career instead?Its like asking of Brady when he threw for 50TDs would he have thrown for only 40 or even 60 if he was on turf in a dome? IT DOES NOT make him a bad quarterback, the question is around if his production goes up or down or stays the same in weather/outside/grass in any combination.

For years, some used to say that Peyton Manning benefited by playing home games in a dome and how he would struggle if he had to play the majority of his games outside.Well...despite playing for the Broncos now, and having 15 of his 16 games outside, Peyton still managed to: -Throw 37 touchdowns (the 2nd highest total of his career)-Throw only 11 interceptions (his lowest since '06, and the 5th lowest of his career)-Throw for 8.0 YPA (the 3rd highest YPA of his career)-Lead the league in QBR, while posting his 2nd highest passer rating to date-Lead the league in completion percentage-Lead the Broncos to a 13-3 record, the number 1 seed in the AFC and one of the biggest point differential turnarounds in NFL history. :popcorn:
He now benefits from playing in the thin air. His weak arm couldn't throw it far enough without it.

For years, some used to say that Peyton Manning benefited by playing home games in a dome and how he would struggle if he had to play the majority of his games outside.Well...despite playing for the Broncos now, and having 15 of his 16 games outside, Peyton still managed to: -Throw 37 touchdowns (the 2nd highest total of his career)-Throw only 11 interceptions (his lowest since '06, and the 5th lowest of his career)-Throw for 8.0 YPA (the 3rd highest YPA of his career)-Lead the league in QBR, while posting his 2nd highest passer rating to date-Lead the league in completion percentage-Lead the Broncos to a 13-3 record, the number 1 seed in the AFC and one of the biggest point differential turnarounds in NFL history. :popcorn:
He did benefit from playing in a dome. I think anyone would benefit from playing most of your games in ideal conditions.I don't recall anyone saying he would struggle; just that his status may not be as gaudy. And 37 TDs isn't 50.I've always liked Manning. I think where this gets interesting is if Denver plays the Colts...

For years, some used to say that Peyton Manning benefited by playing home games in a dome and how he would struggle if he had to play the majority of his games outside.
Of course he benefited by playing in a dome (who wouldn't?), but I don't ever recall anyone saying that he'd struggle if he played the majority of his games outside. :confused:

Users who are viewing this thread