What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Punk Hundred by rockaction - The Countdown Of My Favorite Hundred Punk Songs By A Hundred Different Bands (2 Viewers)

GEE TEE are pretty good. Definitely a garage-influenced sound. I’m pretty sure what warmed your heart was the post-COVID live show where the cops get called in, but they sound good, too.

I've really been enjoying Kill the Hippies album "Special Master". Single Prayer system is one of my favorite tracks and they also do a Modern Lovers cover "New England". This band is local to my state and has been around a long time.

I also really like Why Bother? album "Lacerated Nights". Anything to Get it, Laughing at What I forgot, and Clouds are some of my favorites.

Sleep in the van and couch surf I suppose. The economics of touring are brutal these days.

That’s why I wondered, actually. Some recent and sort of harrowing articles lately about the economics of touring. I’d imagine these guys are at least able to scrape together ticket fare.

would be a hoot to comb thru this a bit more extensively, as Punk n' Glue go together like crack n' a handle of Ol' Grand Dad.

proof it

👃
Not to mention the alternatives.

yeah ... DeeDee was trying to get off it - Carbona is to glue as methadone is to the big H.

i know this all too well, as the nuns applied the same "cure" to us back in the 6th grade, weening us off the Duco cement & Testors - longest 2 years of my life.

ya know what's a real glue tune that ain't punk?

THIS

we stumbled around like zombie mutants to that one - zero gravity sensation ... no legs. and the BUZZZZZ ...

👃

100-91

100) Chubby and The Gang - Chubby and the Gang Rule OK?
99) The Hives - The Hives Declare Guerre Nucleaire
98) The Adverts - One Chord Wonders
97) The Undertones - Teenage Kicks
96) Screeching Weasel - Time Bomb
95) The Exploited - Punk's Not Dead
94) Teenage Head - Ain't Got No Sense
93) The Normals - Almost Ready
92) The Interpreters - Make Up Your Mind
91) The Real Kids - Better Be Good

FAVORITE: "One Chord Wonders"

i just mentioned this tune yesterday in the JML '77 countdown ... calling it one of the premier anthems of that first wave of the British scene - has a very "New Rose" feel to it, production wise - and holds the same startling urgency.

the Pistols work was undoubtedly the slickest produced of that ilk, the Clash (at least on the eponymous debut) the least polished (and the most formulaic "try" of any of the bands) - i'll delve more into them later.

the Adverts & the Damned both had the grit on their respective calling cards - and big ups to Gaye Advert for being an iconic female presence so early on.

- love seeing the Normals in here - and i would've ranked the Exploited much higher, and prolly would've gone with this one

👃

ETA - "One Chord Wonders" easily in my top 10 of the genre.

ETA II: will pick this up when Rock is back among us in a less stressful time.

✌️

Last edited:
I missed this song, which would have clocked in better than some others.

MxPx - Cold And All Alone

Okay, they’re cornball punk, West Coast and more Everlys than egregious. But they sure should have made it with this song.

Okay, this was one my old girlfriend and I used to sing. Again, cornball but sweet. This would be the one I picked if I had my druthers or planned this better.

Last edited:
RIP music producer Glen "Spot" Lockett who as the house producer at SST Records helped to define the sound of American Punk Rock. Spot's fast and cheap studio methods were a perfect fit for Punk's DIY ethos. His recordings weren't the highest of high fidelity (especially the drums) but the unadorned live in the studio sound captured the energy of the bands.

Glen Lockett

eta* The New York Times gives him an obit and if he dropped the second "n" from his first name, then so will I.

Last edited:
Earth AD/Wolfs Blood was pretty much the birthing of the merge of hardcore n' thrash.

Danzig sure sped it the eff up, and Spot facilitated - it's a pretty brutal assault, and was a fitting finale for what we know as my beloved Misfits.

Spot manned one hell of a board 👏

great backstory to this one ... the boys showed up in London to support the Damned, but nobody told the headliner's management, apparently.

Bobby Steele was guitarist at the time, and him and Glenn got into a kerfuffle with some punters - the Jersey ghouls were busted, and held for a coupla days ... hence the lyric content.

Bobby's playing on this tune is the most expressive/evocative in the catalog - his tenure was way too short lived - Jerry Only (Caifa) pulled the coup by recruiting his brother Doyle (Paul Caifa) to replace Bobby.

Steele went on to form the Undead, and cranked out some great horror punk,bits of it better than the 'Fits ... "Act Your Rage" is as potent a platter as anything released in the era.

just wanted to come back to this, especially the "London Dungeon" recording.

that was part of the "3 Hits From Hell" ep, also featuring "Horror Hotel" & "Ghouls Night Out"

i have long bemoaned the TINNY production on all 3 of 'em, basically having ZERO bottom or rhythm crunch, which is quite the anomaly for their oeuvre, what with Jerry's meaty bass forays.

just bad sounding records - dunno how much our boy had to do with all that - but most shocked that Glenn rubber stamped 'em, and never got around to remixing, as he did with quite a bit of the pre "Earth AD/Wolfs Blood" output.

yeah, get me started on my beloveds, and it could get real ginchy real fast.

best example of Glenn's rework ... this was their first ever recording, no guitarist - just Jerry on bass, Manny on drums, and Danzig on electric piannerr

Cough Cool '77

Cough Cool '87

Glenn took some time to remix and punch up some of the 'Fits catalog while on hiatus from Samhain, and a coupla years prior to DANZIG, proper.

he also ripped a killer reboot of "Who Killed Marilyn" which i cannot find atm ...

ETA: wrong version of original edited out

Last edited:
I hope one day to give this thread the time and effort it deserves.
I will start with a bookmark

Thanks a bunch. It cuts off at sixty or so due to a lack of interest. Well, there was some interest, but this board didn't have the demographics or voiced interest in me continuing. What I had were a few dedicated readers who I really did appreciate, but I felt might be following along out of maybe personal obligation and I didn't want to waste their daily time. I think that was the wrong way to look at it. I got self-conscious and pulled the plug. I sort of regret it, but I was also pressed for time at the time. The list is a Spotify list and I should have counted down the whole thing for posterity's sake. It's in the first or second post.

Really, I just felt bad for the souls who were slogging along through it with me. Mercy! Ack! Pull that plug!

So it is like a ghost, restive at times.

I hope one day to give this thread the time and effort it deserves.
I will start with a bookmark

Thanks a bunch. It cuts off at sixty or so due to a lack of interest. Well, there was some interest, but this board didn't have the demographics or voiced interest in me continuing. What I had were a few dedicated readers who I really did appreciate, but I felt might be following along out of maybe personal obligation and I didn't want to waste their daily time. I think that was the wrong way to look at it. I got self-conscious and pulled the plug. I sort of regret it, but I was also pressed for time at the time. The list is a Spotify list and I should have counted down the whole thing for posterity's sake. It's in the first or second post.

Really, I just felt bad for the souls who were slogging along through it with me. Mercy! Ack! Pull that plug!

So it is like a ghost, restive at times.
It feels like that sometimes, but I came to the conclusion that I just do it for myself. If others read and enjoy its a bonus.
Bottom line in the 77 thread, im enjoying the flashbacks, knowledge on some of the songs and seeing how history treats them
Other comments and enthusiasm just helps considerably, but i have to do this for myself first and foremost.

Users who are viewing this thread