What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Punk Hundred by rockaction - The Countdown Of My Favorite Hundred Punk Songs By A Hundred Different Bands (1 Viewer)

rockaction said:
Eek. Avril Lavigne just showed up, too. 

OK fine, I do like that song though

How about these toolbags.. if mentioned so far I missed it .. my thought on them is they were a logical progression from Green Day.  Two guys who almost add up to one Billy Joe and a drummer in the convo for best of his generation?

Pop punk, but is that really fair?

**** Lips

Man Overboard

OK fine, I do like that song though

How about these toolbags.. if mentioned so far I missed it .. my thought on them is they were a logical progression from Green Day.  Two guys who almost add up to one Billy Joe and a drummer in the convo for best of his generation?

Pop punk, but is that really fair?

**** Lips

Man Overboard

Ilov80s took them first with the first overall pick in the punk draft, something I defended, but now dammit (ahem), @Ilov80s, I have second thoughts. That's what we've been kidding about in the thread. They did not make the Punk Hundred (note the self-important capital letters. Heh.). My own personal thoughts about Blink-182 is that I like a couple of songs, but they got way bigger than they deserved, really. DeLong and Hoppus and Barker are a talented bunch, but their early output was slightly embarrassing for someone like myself who liked pop-punk. 

And that's really all I can say about them. 

Stick around long enough and you'll become respectable. 

That's R-E-S-P-E-C-T

https://www.npr.org/2022/06/01/1102337108/sex-pistols-aim-to-give-queen-elizabeths-jubilee-a-touch-of-punk

LONDON — In Britain, there are several traditional elements to a royal anniversary: pageants, street parties, the Sex Pistols.

Queen Elizabeth II and the Pistols have been linked since the punk pioneers released the song "God Save the Queen" during the 1977 Silver Jubilee that marked the monarch's 25 years on the throne.

The anti-authoritarian anthem — not to be confused with the actual British national anthem of the same name — has been re-released for Elizabeth's Platinum Jubilee, or 70 years as queen. It's one of a raft of cultural tie-ins — critics might say cash-ins — spurred by the royal milestone.

Members of the band that rhymed "God save the queen" with "fascist regime" and "she ain't no human being" have mellowed over the years.

EUROPE

As Queen Elizabeth marks 70 years as monarch, she looks to Camilla and the future

"I'm not against it," Sex Pistols guitarist Steve Jones said of Britain's four-day jubilee extravaganza, which starts Thursday and includes military parades, concerts, picnics and innumerable Union Jacks.

"I see all the flags are up everywhere," Jones said while visiting London from Los Angeles, where he has lived for more than 30 years. "I mean, it's entertaining stuff. Tourists just absolutely love it."

Sex Pistols singer John Lydon, formerly known as Johnny Rotten, recently told broadcaster Talk TV he was "really, really proud of the queen for surviving and doing so well."

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been searching for critically/popular albums from some of these bands and have given them a few listens to see if anything grabbed me. Wire- Chairs missing is great. 
Love it. Thanks for checking some of these bands out. That's all I could ask of anybody reading the exercise, and really what I hoped to achieve. So thanks for letting me know that you did that. Chairs Missing is the ultimate post-punk, slow build album that doesn't have true pop songs, but songs that are beautiful. Wire is clearly one of my favorite acts. Have you listened to Pink Flag, and if so, what did you think? I'd be interested in hearing that. 

not yet. The backlog of bands is too long to zero in on just one. Plus I want to give each album a few listens before deciding. it's slow.
Cool. I think it's pretty cool that you decided to give an act a listen. Also, noticed your Stooges comment in the other thread about picking three consecutive songs from an album to introduce someone to an artist. That's a fine place to start. Fun House is such a great album. They didn't care anything about The Stooges so they just turned tape and let it roll. And those guys rolled all right. Whoa. 

really liked Buzzcocks Love Bites. They have a lot of stuff but I'm looking forward to their other two albums from the 70s.

Of the other 2, I prefer "Another Music". They also have a good singles collection that includes some non album songs.

i'm very partial to the "Spiral Scratch" ep ... less polish than the latter label productions - includes the scorching Boredom which is as emblematic a D.I.Y./punk anthem as anything recorded in that era. 

just a pulverizing rip into that ennui the kidz were feeling. 

🖤

Can't put my finger on JT and the Heartbreakers. They were ok but thought that was it for me. Today had an urge to listen to their Chinese rocks, and now enjoying some other songs. Maybe it's the guitar that jumps in and out, gives me visions of the Double Deuce from Road house. ?

Can't put my finger on JT and the Heartbreakers. They were ok but thought that was it for me. Today had an urge to listen to their Chinese rocks, and now enjoying some other songs. Maybe it's the guitar that jumps in and out, gives me visions of the Double Deuce from Road house. ?
I'm not an expert on what makes the Heartbreakers sound like they sound. I'd always dismissed them as one-offs, too, up until Sebowski on this board told me I had to listen to them. I guess they were too slow, too raunchy for me -- or the recordings I'd heard were ####.

Either way, I was not a huge fan until a re-listen, and as I got older, I began to appreciate Thunders's axe work more and more. The guitar does jump in and out, as you mention, and it did with the NY Dolls, too. Thunders is an all-time great, and The Heartbreakers sound is glorious. "Born To Lose," "Chinese Rocks," "Baby Talk," and others are turnkeys to a different sort of ignition, a slower but just as fiery internal combustion as the sped-up dealings of the Ramones and other punk acts of the time. 

Pure and simple, they rock. 

Have you listened to Pink Flag, and if so, what did you think? I'd be interested in hearing that. 
it's been a couple weeks since I found a band that really clicked so I doubled back to wire. The songs are quick it was tough to get hooked.  It took a few listens but it's starting to sink in,  frustrating when a song gets going and than ends. There will be many more listens. Too early to compare it to Chairs, I love chairs. 

I'm not an expert on what makes the Heartbreakers sound like they sound. I'd always dismissed them as one-offs, too, up until Sebowski on this board told me I had to listen to them. I guess they were too slow, too raunchy for me -- or the recordings I'd heard were ####.

Either way, I was not a huge fan until a re-listen, and as I got older, I began to appreciate Thunders's axe work more and more. The guitar does jump in and out, as you mention, and it did with the NY Dolls, too. Thunders is an all-time great, and The Heartbreakers sound is glorious. "Born To Lose," "Chinese Rocks," "Baby Talk," and others are turnkeys to a different sort of ignition, a slower but just as fiery internal combustion as the sped-up dealings of the Ramones and other punk acts of the time. 

Pure and simple, they rock. 

L.A.M.F. was prototypical of this lot ... horrible original mix, with the band taking most of the coin allotted for the final proper mix straight to their dope connections. 

the original Tracks Records release sounds like ####, and not in the ramshackle/romantic D.I.Y. manner - it's simply as coherent as a 3 yr old's finger painting.  prototypical in the sense of taking their shot and shooting it (literally) straight to hell. 

wouldn't have it any other way. 

the attempts to remix, re-release, etc are too numerous to recall or mention - i do believe that when Thunders passed there was a dedicated remix effort he was involved in with Tony James (Gen X).

another missed opportunity. 

however, the collection of songs, and the pure sleaze and slime and urgency of it all, represent a top 5 album of the genre, if one insists on slotting it in ... the post production was a legit disaster, but the tunes themselves are far from that - this is the best snapshot of the bi-city (NYC/London) scene that exists. 

thankful for this gift in all it's iterations ... try and track down the proper remastered work to better gauge - it's floating. 

Johnny is always in my heart. 

🖤

it's been a couple weeks since I found a band that really clicked so I doubled back to wire. The songs are quick it was tough to get hooked.  It took a few listens but it's starting to sink in,  frustrating when a song gets going and than ends. There will be many more listens. Too early to compare it to Chairs, I love chairs. 
I like Chairs a lot.  I love Pink Flag.  A lot of times I wonder if what we favor depends on what we experience first.  I think I've posted this before, but this version of the song Pink Flag absolutely slays me.  It's from an EP recorded when Wire reformed in 1999 and started rehearsing old material - it builds and builds and builds and it's all I can do not to throw something through a window by the end.

Pink Flag (ri) (29 Nov 1999)

My favorite  Wiki Wire trivia:   Drummer Robert Gotobed left the band in 1990, after the release of the album Manscape. After his departure, the band dropped one letter from its name, becoming "Wir" (still pronounced "wire"), and released The First Letter in 1991.    I wish all groups recognized their former members like that.

My favorite  Wiki Wire trivia:   Drummer Robert Gotobed left the band in 1990, after the release of the album Manscape. After his departure, the band dropped one letter from its name, becoming "Wir" (still pronounced "wire"), and released The First Letter in 1991.    I wish all groups recognized their former members like that.
IIRC he left because their rhythms had become so mechanical that he felt he was nothing more than a drum machine, so he told them they should just use a drum machine.

Pink Flod.

Enesis.

Gus & Roses.

i'm not as big a Wire honk as most of you here are ... but i'll be COTdamned if "I Am The Fly" ain't one of the more nefarious earworms of my lifetime - i mean, that's a damn near perfect song build ... and i figgered i'd take a shine to similar offerings from the lads, but they never quite tinkled my dinkle righteously enough. 

i get the appeal, but it was never really my bag, baby. 

crawling ...

🪰

There's a new Wire release called Not About To Die. It's a compilation of their old unreleased songs from the Pink Flag-Chairs Missing era. It includes transitional songs that show the band's development from Pink Flag to Chairs Missing. 

Here's the review at Pitchfork, if you're into that sort of thing. 

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/wire-not-about-to-die/

Good summation here: 

"On their 1977 debut, Pink Flag, Wire made a convincing case for being the world’s first hardcore band, setting new standards in brevity and velocity that the likes of Minor Threat would later use as their starting point. But within its opening seconds, 1978’s Chairs Missing reduced that legacy to an afterthought, introducing a more patient yet more peculiar strain of avant-pop that, with 1979’s 154, opened up into vast expanses of synth-frosted ambience and mutant prog. Cue up these three albums back to back to back, and you could be forgiven for wondering if you were still listening to the same group. But when it first surfaced on some fly-by-night imprint in the early ’80s, the unauthorized Not About to Die revealed a steady linear trajectory connecting albums that seemed to be separated by leaps and bounds. Comprising cassette demos passed around the EMI offices circa 1978-79, Not About to Die functions as a real-time document of a band caught between the idea of cranking out Pink Flag II and the reality that they were already getting bored of punk."

Last edited by a moderator:
Johnny is always in my heart
One of the things that amazed me recently was Steve Jones's copping a Thunders riff style in the diss track "New York." At one point, Jones starts completely aping Thunders's guitar work, and it makes the song all the more mocking and savage. 

Great diss track. One of the best ever, and I'm including the notorious rap/hip hop beefs, too. 

One of the things that amazed me recently was Steve Jones's copping a Thunders riff style in the diss track "New York." At one point, Jones starts completely aping Thunders's guitar work, and it makes the song all the more mocking and savage. 

Great diss track. One of the best ever, and I'm including the notorious rap/hip hop beefs, too. 

... and, of course, every good diss deserves a retort -

You mess with me? I'm from New York City ...

:banned:

... or was Jonesy just always very Thunders-y?

🤔
Maybe indeed. But the song sounds like it's stuffed with Pistols motifs that I think it's a reverse homage both lyrically and musically. And I think Jones was so self-taught that he couldn't mimic anybody, much less the inimitable Thunders. 

Maybe indeed. But the song sounds like it's stuffed with Pistols motifs that I think it's a reverse homage both lyrically and musically. And I think Jones was so self-taught that he couldn't mimic anybody, much less the inimitable Thunders. 

oh, yeah ... Johnny definitely stuffed riffs from Pretty Vacant/New York/Holidays in there, sure ... but i do think Jonesy aped him all the way - his touchstone inspiration was the Dolls, so Johnny and Syl, by default. 

he can romanticize his "self taught" hogwash all he'd care to, and he's bloviating quite a bit on it lately, what with the "Pistol" (more on that later) fervor, etc. 

but he's a lying tvvat if he discounts the Dolls axe sleaze, or if he doesn't acknowledge it now as his blueprint. 

so, in the matter of "London Boys", Thunders is aping the ape.

PS - and i love Jonesy, don't get me wrong ... his story is what punk was really all about - a nowhere yob elevating himself through visceral artistic expression; not 14 minute noodling solos - the streets that supported the outta touch jet setting rock cabal rose up and snatched it right out their damn silver spoon stuffed mouths. 

was glorious. 

- Jonesy's a hero -

Tommy Stinson was a member of G N''' R for twice as long as Izzy was.  Tommy spent more time dealing with Axl's #### than he did with Westerberg's.
The man's obviously a masochist.  Similarly, Dizzy Reed is the 2nd-longest serving member of the band after Axl.  They should collaborate for a podcast on how to stay in Axl's good graces.

Since we're talking about Guns N' Roses in a Punk thread, The Spaghetti Incident (?) is a logical digression.  I can't remember the last time I listened to it but as far as interim product for a hot act goes, it's a lot better than a Christmas album. 

It went platinum so some Punk songwriters (or whomever owned the rights) got some nice royalty checks for a while.  The residuals for the hidden Charles Manson track reportedly went to the family of one of the Manson family's victims.

Since we're talking about Guns N' Roses in a Punk thread, The Spaghetti Incident (?) is a logical digression.  I can't remember the last time I listened to it but as far as interim product for a hot act goes, it's a lot better than a Christmas album.   

was released around the time the Misfits turned from proto horror punk Jersey band with a devout cult following to darlings of the "collectibles" set ... Metallica started it by covering 'em the Garage EP, then G n' R jumped in by also covering 'em on this one ("Attitude").

there was always an element of kitsch to the Misfits merch even prior to the blowup (Danzig was brilliant in his marketing foresight & d.i.y. ethos), but the late 80s "discovery" by the masses just skyrocketed prices across the board. 

i still own a ton of first line releases of theirs, resisting the urge to purge some 30 odd years ago. 

Users who are viewing this thread