What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Ravens defense (1 Viewer)

jwvdcw

Footballguy
Points allowed by the Ravens:

1999: 277

2000: 165

2001: 265

2002: 354

2003: 281

2004: 268

2005: 299

The bolded years are the ones in which Ray Lewis was injured.

On average that comes out to 326.5 points allowed when Ray does not play and 251.2 points allowed when Ray does play. Thats a difference of 75.3 points or 4.7 points per game.

Now I realize that there are other factors at work here, but I find it pretty astounding that one defensive player can change the game by nearly 5 points per game on average!

Last edited by a moderator:
After watching them when Ed Reed came back, I think he's more important to them now. With Ray and Reed: Top 3 if not the bestWith Reed and w/out Ray: Top 6 or 7With Ray and w/out Reed: Top 10 :2cents:

Last edited by a moderator:
In 2002 the Ravens defense had a ton of injuries in addition to Ray Lewis. In 2004 Ray Lewis had a subpar year and the Ravens defense was still very good. This season the Ravens switched to a 4-3 which was supposed to turn Ray Lewis loose. It didn't work. Ray Lewis was not having a good season before he got hurt.In short there is a lot more to the Ravens defense than Ray Lewis. For a time, Ray Lewis was the best linebacker in the game, but that time has come and gone.

In 2002 the Ravens defense had a ton of injuries in addition to Ray Lewis. In 2004 Ray Lewis had a subpar year and the Ravens defense was still very good.

This season the Ravens switched to a 4-3 which was supposed to turn Ray Lewis loose. It didn't work. Ray Lewis was not having a good season before he got hurt.

In short there is a lot more to the Ravens defense than Ray Lewis. For a time, Ray Lewis was the best linebacker in the game, but that time has come and gone.
:goodposting: Ray is still good but not as dominant as he once was. As was pointed out in a post above Reed was also out and IMO he was the best player on that defense last year not Lewis.

Users who are viewing this thread