What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Saints are Coming Home! (1 Viewer)

myhousekey

Footballguy
Just got off the phone with a friend of mine who works for them. He said they just got off a conference call with Tags and Benson and the Saints are coming home.Confirmed by ESPN.http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2275139

An agreement in principle struck between owner Tom Benson and NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue will return the New Orleans Saints to Louisiana for practice in 2006, and likely for the entire regular-season schedule.

Last edited by a moderator:
I cant help but think this is a PR move and a set-up. They had to "negotiate" with Benson to keep the team in NO/BR for next year ... and I would guess that if attendance/money issues don't mesh in 2006 then the team and NFL will hold up their hands, say they tried, and move the team on out ...The NFL gets to say they tried, and the Saints get assurances that they are (eventually) moving ...

I cant help but think this is a PR move and a set-up.  They had to "negotiate" with Benson to keep the team in NO/BR for next year ... and I would guess that if attendance/money issues don't mesh in 2006 then the team and NFL will hold up their hands, say they tried, and move the team on out ...

The NFL gets to say they tried, and the Saints get assurances that they are (eventually) moving ...
I just see this as a bad situation where the NFL/saints pretty much have their hands tied. If they just uproot the team, they look like they are "doing it to" a trouble community in a desparate times. On the other hand, they are placing a team in a community which really does not have resources to really support aN NFL team. I have no good answer for the NFL here. They are going to have come up with a plan, stick with it and live with either the lost money or the negative perception.

I'm sure that the 70% of people in New Orleans that still don't have a place to live or a job really care that the Ain'ts are coming "home"! That team will be bad for a quite a while regardless if they play in New Orleans or on the moon!

if the saints could only relocate away from benson's ownership

I cant help but think this is a PR move and a set-up.  They had to "negotiate" with Benson to keep the team in NO/BR for next year ... and I would guess that if attendance/money issues don't mesh in 2006 then the team and NFL will hold up their hands, say they tried, and move the team on out ...

The NFL gets to say they tried, and the Saints get assurances that they are (eventually) moving ...
I just see this as a bad situation where the NFL/saints pretty much have their hands tied. If they just uproot the team, they look like they are "doing it to" a trouble community in a desparate times. On the other hand, they are placing a team in a community which really does not have resources to really support aN NFL team. I have no good answer for the NFL here. They are going to have come up with a plan, stick with it and live with either the lost money or the negative perception.
I think the economics of staying in New Orleans could be better than many people realize. The Superdome is larger than the Alamodome--including the fact that it has more than three times as many suites. Plans for a remodeled Alamodome still call for fewer seats and suites than the Superdome already has. The population of the NO metro area is considerably higher than people give it credit for and the demographics are heavily skewed in favor of those that can afford to attend Saints games. I know that the 5 people that I attended Saints games with are all back home.

The bigger question is whether or not the team's front office can spin this to make people think that the team is back for good. If there's a perception that we are just lining Benson's pockets for a year before he moves to SA, then people won't come back--and SA is our only viable competition. No way does the NFL want one of it's worst owners running a Los Angeles team and Benson has no interest in selling the team. Benson in LA would be a disaster.

Users who are viewing this thread