What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Scotch Whisky Thread (1 Viewer)

***Sorry for the delay, I had to pick up my son late tonight, so I didn't want to drink until I wasn't driving anymore.***

Whisky Advent calendar day 8: Smoky Scot Islay 5-Year-old Single Malt.

Yes, you're reading that right, this is the same sample as last night. i think I can better describe what the first taste is like, as opposed to saying it split in two; rather, it was the infamous 'Kentucky hug' that bourbon sometimes gives you, but the burn started in my mouth instead of throat. Since water didn't really help last night, I'm going to finish it as is. Other than the description, nothing else changed, still a hard pass.
I appreciate your dedication to the experience. :thumbup:
And I appreciate your appreciation. Figuring out what I'm tasting is part of fun for me. I just hope to not come across as a snob or a stuffed shirt with my notes.

Not at all snobbish imo. I've enjoyed reading about your scotch journey and also appreciate you sharing your notes.

My neighbor gave me a gift box this past summer of a variety pack from https://drinksbythedram.com/ - 5 different scotches. I tried to take tasting notes but they're all just "Good, smooth" or "####ing good" or "smokey and really ####ing good"
Early on, I found The Whiskey Tribe on youtube, and their motto is that whatever you like to drink, and the way you like to drink it, is 'right'. When it comes to tasting notes, their guideline is to just find something familiar when you're tasting whisk(e)y and build your 'muscle memory' from there. I'm starting to get a little better at finding 'actual' notes, and having my daughter as an extra nose has been helpful as well. I've been on a bourbon kick for the last 4 years now and am starting to dabble in rye, so it's been a while since I've had this much scotch, but I think my experience with bourbon has been instrumental as well, even though it's a completely different assortment of flavors.

FWIW, 'smokey' is a completely legitimate tasting note, as is 'peaty'. Looking forward to if/when you and other FBGs add their own notes and experiences.

Whisky Advent calendar, day 11: Tobermory 12-Year-Old Single Malt

Tobermory seems to be part of the Ledaig distillery located on the isle of Mull, technically making it part of the islay region for whisky, they don't seem to associate strongly with other islays and rather promote their brands as only 'mildly' peated, and by their website, they also seem to want to leave their options open and identify more as a 'generic' type of whisky.

We're told to expect a palette of vibrant fruit and spice with a subtle saltiness reflective of our harbour waters. While I couldn't immediately identify anything on the nose, my trusty assistant, the Sniffling Sniffer, had one word "orange." I picked up on that after she said it, though to me it's more of a generic citris note and isn't as sharp as an orange. I did also get the harbour water note, so mild citrus and harbor water is what I'm going with for the nose.

First tasting notes include tobacco, the floral/vegetation of a typical speyside and a suprising burn, because I didn't notice until after I tasted it that it's 92 proof, so it will have a little heat to it. If it already tastes like tobacco when it's neat, I'm a little concerned about what water is going to do it.

Adding water didn't seem to do much to it, a first for me. It's also bringing out a touch of whisky snob in me; I feel like in their effort to avoid being lumped in with other islays (which I can somewhat understand, as anything going up against Lagavulin, Ardbeg, Laphroiag is going to struggle), they haven't really established their own actual identity. At $52 for 700ml, it's a hard pass, and for the 3rd night in a row, I can't even bring myself to finishing the sample. :thumbdown:

***Sorry for the delay, I had to pick up my son late tonight, so I didn't want to drink until I wasn't driving anymore.***

Whisky Advent calendar day 8: Smoky Scot Islay 5-Year-old Single Malt.

Yes, you're reading that right, this is the same sample as last night. i think I can better describe what the first taste is like, as opposed to saying it split in two; rather, it was the infamous 'Kentucky hug' that bourbon sometimes gives you, but the burn started in my mouth instead of throat. Since water didn't really help last night, I'm going to finish it as is. Other than the description, nothing else changed, still a hard pass.
I appreciate your dedication to the experience. :thumbup:
And I appreciate your appreciation. Figuring out what I'm tasting is part of fun for me. I just hope to not come across as a snob or a stuffed shirt with my notes.
Not at all, this is fun. I'm sniffing vicariously through your nose. If that's not too weird.

Whisky Advent calendar, day 12: Ledaig Sinclair Series Rioja Cask Single Malt

The Tobermory Distillery has kicked off its Sinclair Series of bottlings with a brilliantly flavoursome Ledaig single malt, which has enjoyed a finishing period in Rioja wine casks! The series is named after the distillery's founder, John Sinclair, and this particular edition packs plenty of peaty notes alongside the ripe red fruit sweetness imparted by the Rioja casks. A sublime evening dram, this.

I guess I had it backwards yesterday, and Ledaig actually part of Tobermory distillery and not the other way around. Either way, they immediately get a shot at redemption (a little bourbon pun there for you bourbon guys). In addition to that flowery description in the above paragraph, Masters of Malt also promise a nose of red grapes, cinnamon, rose petal jelly, and a wave of coastal smoke. I didn't even know that rose petal jelly was a thing, but apparently Martha Stewart has a lovely recipe for it. Anyway, to me, the nose was a little smoky and lightly floral, which I guess covers the rose petal jelly. My nosing assistant got caramel.

The first sip basically matched the nose, smoke and floral like a Speyside. Adding water changed the nose to 'medicinal' and added a touch of sweetness to the smoky note. I suppose it's still decent enough to finish this time.

While my local Total Wine doesn't carry it, they do have it somewhere for $89.99, which means hard pass on buying and I'd also pass on it if offered. :thumbdown:

Whisky Advent calendar, day 13: Murray McDavid Cask Craft PX (Pedro Ximenez Sherry) Finish.

This has really turned into a finished whisky extravaganza, something I should have figured on all along. No matter, I don't want to be a snob and will stick with taking each one as a new experience.

Murray McDavid started life in 1994 is the brainchild of a trio of wine merchants from London who later enlisted the help of a premier master distiller of the islay variety to help them reopen the Bruichladdich distillery in 2000. They were collectively sold in 2012 and now have found a home where Speyside is made, continuing to specialize in finished whisky.

I did not find much in the way of nose/tasting notes for this beforehand, except two that both mentioned chocolate. My assistant could only find 'burnt cinnamon', but I got a note of chocolate reminiscent of Yoo-Hoo, as well as a hint of raisin. The first sip brought the same tastes, though the chocolate was more of a smoky/dark chocolate and the raisin note was borderline date or fig and absolutely no burn on the palate or finish. Water made the nose a little sweeter, and the palate still had some smoke but the chocolatey sweetness had turned sour, and the raisin to banana.

Total Wine doesn't have this label in any of its stores, and the distiller's website lists it in pounds sterling (34) only, so I'm dubious of its availability in the US. That said, I can see this as a 'dessert' whisky if you take it neat (and at 89 proof, it's a dessert whisky with a bit of a kick). I won't jump through the hoops necessary to buy this one but will accept it if offered neat. :yes:

Whiskey Advent calendar, day 14: Bunnahabhain 12 year

I only know it by reputation, so all I know is that it's an islay and goes for $80 at my local Total Wine. Just when I thought this calendar would only have finished whiskies in it from here on out, it goes and does this...wait, what does the description say? Double Matured in Ex Bourbon and Ex Sherry Casks? Bunnahabhain, I don't know you at all!

On one hand, I learned my lesson last night about sherry cask aging, and on the other, I learned last week about scotch being aged in bourbon casks. Am I getting set up for a fruity Kentucky hug? Only one way to find out.

The nose delivers as promised, some peaty smoke, some dark fruit, some 'baking spice' that so many of the reviewers I watch say when they can't specify. My assistant said it reminded her of a spice that would be in a pumpkin pie but not cinnamon or nutmeg. Whatever it is, it's the bourbon component.

I called it with the first sip: a sweet Kentucky hug, with some peaty smoke at the end. I think the burn warrants adding water, so I did and the nose got sweeter and less smoky yet unlocking more smoke on the palate, The burn goes away and the sweetness of the sherry and bourbon end up combine well and complement each other and the peaty smoke of the scotch.

I think the bourbon keeps it from being a dessert whisky, and at $80, it seems too expensive the ride for it delivers. Not bad, just not worth the price. Won't buy, will accept if offered. :thumbup:

Whisky Advent calendar, day 15: Kings Barns 6-Year-Old Single Cask Sherry Butt Single Malt

Conveniently located close to St Andrews, the home of golf, in the beautiful East Neuk of Fife, our whisky distillery sits in a charming 18th century converted farm steading and features whisky distillery tours, tastings, a shop and cafe with an outdoor seating area.

So this whiskey spelled without the 'e' comes from the land where they play golf pronounced without the 'l'. There's probably some kind of joke there, but I got nuttin'. Additionally, their website boasts of local ingredients, from the barley to the water from a local aquifer to the casks it ages in, which reminds me of what they told me on my recent tour of the Sagamore Spirits distillery.

Based on my recent experience with sherry cask finished scotch, I'm cautiously optimistic that this will be a more positive experience than what I've had the last 4-5 days. :fingercrossed:

Thanks to my assistant, I was able to confirm her assessment of apple juice, though I also feel that there's something like tart like blackberry sort of sitting on top of it.

On the first sip, I got tart/blackberry but no apple juice, smoke and a surprising heat. It's 92 proof, but I don't usually get heat from bourbon until at least 94 proof. I like it okay, definitely not enough to not try it with water.

Water brought out more tart/blackberry on the nose, more peat on the palate and less burn on the back end.

Another interesting item about the distillers is that they call their product a 'lowland' spirit. I know of Islay, Speyside, highland and Campbelltown, but lowland is new to me.

I suppose that dessert whisky shouldn't be smoky or peaty, so that lets this one out. Nevertheless, it turned into a pleasant enough dram with water. At 80 pounds sterling for a 700ml bottle, I won't be buying it, but I would take it if offered. :thumbup:

Finally, I have an observation I'd like the more experienced scotch drinkers here to hear and comment on:

I've notice that I tend to feel the effect of the alcohol sooner when drinking scotch as opposed to bourbon. I'm puzzled because scotch in general is lower proof, so I would think that I would feel the higher APV before the lower. Anyone else experienced this? TIA.

Whisky Advent calendar, day 16: Craigellachie 13-Year-Old Single Malt.

Speyside, Scotland - Not for the faint hearted, this is a single malt for those who can handle big flavor. If you've cracked Peaty malts, now it's time for Craigellachie! Sip neat and enjoy!

The Craigellachie distillery operates as a subsidiary of Dewar's, which in turn is a subsidiary of Bacardi.

Masters of Malt calls the nose: Apple orchards in bloom, slightly meaty, burnt popcorn, treacle tart. I got the apple note and maybe buttery burnt popcorn; My daughter got cinnamon.

Masters of Malt says the palate has notes of Oily malt arrives first, followed by BBQ pineapple and summer berries. Pine nuts and almonds. I got 'oily' smoke, some regular apple but no pineapple, no berries, and no nuts of any kind. Water removed the apple from the nose, the smoke remained and the BBQ pineapple appeared, which actually works. I'm already sort of familiar with BBQ pineapple from eating at a local Brazilian steakhouse. It works as both a palate cleanser and a type of dessert in and of itself.

Total Wine sells it for $61, so while it acquits itself well with water, it's still too expensive for what it delivers. Unless you like BBQ pineapple. :shrug:

I didn’t plan to buy any alcohol for home use in December, just drink what’s on hand and stop when we’re out. Then my wife wanted to go to Costco to look at a couch. Turns out they didn’t have the couch but I made sure to stop by the liquor store (Costco is on the opposite side of town so we don’t get there often). I only bought the Kirkland scotch, Which will remain unopened either to NYE or Christmas Day after I get back from visiting the in-laws (depending how that goes). I’ve enjoyed this one, $30 for 1.75L is hard to beat for the value.

We ended up buying a couch at Ashley. On the plus side it’s good quality and total price including tax and delivery was the same as the couch which was supposed to be at Costco but turned out to only be online.

@Charlie Steiner - really enjoying the write ups! I’m not much of a Scotch drinker so I’m learning from you.
Thanks for the encouragement. I'm trying to keep my tongue firmly in my cheek through these, because everyone's drinking experience is personal and I don't want to come across as some kind of know-it-all, at least until I am. ;)

I only ever drank beer until a little over four years ago, due to a very bad experience with Jack Daniels in high school. I only came to scotch because of covid; I binge-watched Parks and Rec during the initial quarantine, and every other episode had Ron Swanson drinking Lagavulin. I figured that since I had gotten into my 50's without any real vices that I would give whiskey a try. Turns out it's a pretty cool hobby that one can actually be a :nerd: about. I'm glad I found this thread, as well as the bourbon one.

As always, I hope you will post here and/or the bourbon thread, or start a gin or vodka or whatever thread and have at it.

Tobermory seems to be part of the Ledaig distillery located on the isle of Mull, technically making it part of the islay region for whisky, they don't seem to associate strongly with other islays and rather promote their brands as only 'mildly' peated, and by their website, they also seem to want to leave their options open and identify more as a 'generic' type of whisky.

Almost positive that Tobermory (and its peated expression, Ledaig) is classified as Highland by the SWA (and Island by some). But definitely not Islay.

While my local Total Wine doesn't carry it, they do have it somewhere for $89.99, which means hard pass on buying and I'd also pass on it if offered. :thumbdown:

Wow. That's a GBP38 bottle, so someone is making some money somewhere.

Tobermory is interesting. Not surprised you didn't like it, given previous notes you've shared. But I find it to be an underrated 10yo (and the various 18yos can be very good indeed).

I can't believe how expensive the Bunna 12 is too. It's a really decent bottle, but again, well under GBP40 and often discounted on Amazon and in supermarkets here. The cask strength version is also superb (although goodness knows how much you'll end up paying for that, over there).

Almost positive that Tobermory (and its peated expression, Ledaig) is classified as Highland by the SWA (and Island by some). But definitely not Islay.
This is an example of the gaps in my understanding of the geography of Scotland. While Mull is called an isle, it's not physically located with the rest of the islay isles, yet because it's called and isle, I lumped it in with them anyway. Point taken.

Wow. That's a GBP38 bottle, so someone is making some money somewhere.

Tobermory is interesting. Not surprised you didn't like it, given previous notes you've shared. But I find it to be an underrated 10yo (and the various 18yos can be very good indeed).

I can't believe how expensive the Bunna 12 is too. It's a really decent bottle, but again, well under GBP40 and often discounted on Amazon and in supermarkets here. The cask strength version is also superb (although goodness knows how much you'll end up paying for that, over there).
Regarding the Bunna, I was very excited when I saw it, and TBH, it was only the bourbon cask influence that I didn't like. I'm not experienced with sherry cask finishes, but there have been several in this collection, so I'm starting to get a feel for it, and can see why sherry cask finishing is a thing. Unfortunately, I only play an FBG here and don't really have their typical resources, so cost is always going to be a major factor in my evaluation, though I am willing to spend for quality. For example, I can find Lagavulin 16 for about $10 more, and the difference between the two is worth that extra cost to me, and at the same time, even though the Bunna is more refined and less harsh than Talisker 10, which I can also find for less than the Bunna, I'd go with the Talisker over the Bunna, though I don't dislike it.

No reason you'd know anything about Scottish geography (or the SWA rules and regs). There are hundreds of islands off the Scottish coast. Islay is just one of them. Jura, an island about a 1,000 yards off the coast of Islay (and home to the Isle of Jura distillery) isn't even an Islay malt!

No reason you'd know anything about Scottish geography (or the SWA rules and regs). There are hundreds of islands off the Scottish coast. Islay is just one of them. Jura, an island about a 1,000 yards off the coast of Islay (and home to the Isle of Jura distillery) isn't even an Islay malt!
Islay is heaven on earth, so that is a good reason to know it.

Whisky Advent calendar, day 17: Tamdhu 12 Year.

Tamdhu distillery is a single malt Scotch Speyside whisky distillery, located in the village of Knackando in Banffshire, Scotland. Tamdhu comes from Gaelic for 'little dark hill'.

Originally founded in 1897, it has been shuttered three different times over its existence, the most recent lasting from 2010-2013. Fun fact: Tamdhu is used for making blended whiskies that include Famous Grouse, J & B and Cutty Sark.

This particular expression is aged in a combination of first-fill and refill Oloroso sherry casks for 12 years. Masters of Malt tells me to expect a nose of "Orange Starburst, cinnamon swirls and toasted oak, along with some mint chocolate". a palate of "Lots of plum, juicy raisin, fried banana, raspberry jam doughnuts and oak spice", and a finish of "Chocolate fudge and just a whisper of smoke, with sweet cinnamon returning." This is the first time I've put spoilers in, but I'm looking to see if my nose and palate are in the ballpark.

I couldn't identify any of those notes on the nose, maybe a little 'astringent' and floral. Guess I don't have a future as a whisky sommelier.

First sip was very smoky with a slight burn (it's listed at 86 proof, which doesn't cause a burn with bourbon but has consistently provided a burn with Scotch), and I did get the plum and/or raisin notes. I also got the chocolate fudge on the finish, so maybe I'm not all bad at this. After adding water, I let my daughter and also my wife nose it. My daughter still only got 'spices', and my wife found cinnamon and fruity notes. My wife only drinks very rarely and usually doesn't want to be near my whiskies because she doesn't like the smell, so it's to my chagrin that she did better on her first try than I did with over 4 years' practice.

The water made the fruity notes move to the front, then the same burn and the smoke became more like dark chocolate. And I got the raspberry jam doughnut.

I found it available online for $68.63 with free shipping. It compares favorably to last night's offering, the Craigellachie 13, though it's slightly more expensive. Head-to-head, I'd prefer the Tamdhu. As the buyer of my own whisky, it's not in my wheelhouse and probably wouldn't buy it for myself, though I would accept if offered. :thumbup:

Whisky Advent calendar, day 18: AnCnoc 12 year.

Less than 30 miles from yesterday's selection, we stay in the Scottish Highlands for today's dram.

AnCnoc is produced at the Knockdhu distillery, Knockdhu operated between 1893 and 1931, when it was forced to close to the global financial depression and re-opened for only a short time before World War II. After the war, production resumed until 1983, when it was closed and sold to Inver House (FWIW, there is a very cheap brand called Inver House; I haven't checked to see if they're related, and it was on my 'To try' list for a while) and reopened in 1988. Total Wine carries AnCnoc for $70.99/750ml.

Masters of Malt describe the nose as: Aromatic, quite robust. Honeysuckle, fresh flowers, cereals, barley. I got the floral part, and I'll take it on faith that the other note I couldn't identify was the cereal.

Masters of Malt describe the palate as: Medium, good sweetness. Madeira, winter spices, mocha, Crème de Cacao, herbal hints and toasted granary bread. What they call mocha, Creme de Cacao and herbal, I've though of as peaty. I may have also been mislabeling mocha, because I also got the note I thought was smoky. After adding water, the nose got a little more flowery, and the mocha note took up more of the palate.

This one left me feeling less sure about what I thought I've been tasting in my Scotch, and for the first time in a while, not liking what I thought was smoke. Even if I don't like what I'm tasting, I usually like when a whisky changes noticeably when adding water. In that respect, I appreciate this one, though I'm not a fan. Not a hard pass, but a pass nonetheless. :topcat:

Whiskey Advent calendar, day 19: Old Pulteny 12.

We move further north into the Scottish highlands for tonght's dram, with another label owned by Inver House. The distillery opened in 1826 and ran continually until prohibition laws forced them to close in 1930 and would not re-open until 1951.

Tonight's dram was aged in former bourbon casks, and Masters of Malt promises that the sweetness of the bourbon will balance the saltiness of the whisky. I hope by previous bias against the combination of Scotch and bourbon doesn't influence my judgement this time...

I let my assistant nose it first, and she got apple cider vinegar. I got the apple, but also vanilla and maybe some sort of baking spice that actually made me sneeze. Masters of Malt described the nose as: Honeycomb, vanilla tablet, soft sawdust oakiness and oatcakes, so maybe it was the sawdust that made me sneeze.

On the palate, I got a touch of smoke, 'typical' highland floral and sea saltiness, not very close to Masters of Malt's Chocolate peanuts, mint, citrus peels, maritime elements and white pepper.

After adding water, the nose got more floral, still no honey, oakiness or oats. I got more salt/brine on the palate, as well as chocolate yet it still had a strong bitterness as well.

Total Wine sells this for $51.99 for 750ml. Not a bad price, but it's not my thing. Pass. :topcat:

Whisky Advent calendar, day 20: Glenfarclas 10-Year.

Sitting less than 10 miles from the Tamdhu Distillery, Glenfarclas has been in constant operation since at least 1836 and possibly as far back as 1791. Though not carried at my local Total Wine, it is in their national inventory and sells for $59.99. This delicate whisky is a wonderful expression of the Speyside style. Matured in 100% Oloroso sherry casks, it offers far more complexity than you’d expect from a 10-year-old dram. A smooth, welcoming whisky that’s become the understated favourite in many a collection. Excellent as an aperitif, and excellent value.

After 19 days of trying to identify tasting notes, I don't feel I've made any progress; the notes I'm told to expect are nowhere to be found. Instead of lots of juicy, sweet, sherry notes combined with malt and barley. Creamy hints of toffee give way to delicate honey, vanilla, and orchard fruits, I get just the slightest hint of vanilla and a whole lot of ?. My assistant said 'lemon', which doesn't remind me of any of those other notes.

The first sip is sweet malt and toffee instead of delicious sherry sweetness and dried fruits, with complex, delicate winter spices and fruitcake. Light toffee, and a hint of smoke.

After adding water, the nose got a little sweeter, and the other notes Masters of Malt predicted appeared, though it was still kind of bitter on the finish, which I didn't like.

If there's anywhere to place blame for my experience, I put it on myself. By and large, all these drams have favorable reputations, yet I can't seem to get on board with many of them, and getting anything near what experts get on the nose, palate and finish has been almost non-existent for me. Nevertheless, this is a fun exercise and there are still six drams to go.

Bottom line, I can't argue with the reputation Glenfarclas has, so all I can say is it's not for me. :shrug:

Whisky Advent calendar, day 21: Glenromach 10 Year.

Just a hair over 20 miles from last night's selection Glenromach was founded in 1898, closed in 1900 and reopened in 1911 and ran continuously until shutting down again in 1983. They reopened again in 1998 after changing ownership.

Masters of Malt describe it as a marvellous single malt, which is matured in a classic combo of first-fill bourbon and sherry casks. Packing plenty of dried fruit, fresh vanilla and smoky notes, it's approachable but flavoursome indeed. I don't want to put the cart before the horse, but the inclusion of bourbon casks in the mix doesn't make me optimistic.

I'm supposed to get dry, barley, big on malt and oak. Dry pine, fruity. A tad spirity. Sweet spices after a time and a hint of puckering prune from the sherry cask and maple fudge on the nose; I got the fruity and maple notes. It's also my favorite nose so far, a lot going on and it all works well together. After letting it rest a few more minutes, I nosed it again and found the oak/pine. I may not want to add water at this point!

Master of Malt also said the palate would be barley, slightly herbal, a little fruit, grassy. Big on malt, ground ginger. Barley, check. Herbal, check. Fruit, grassy, check-ish. Big on malt, not as strong as expected. Ground ginger, big time. It was the last note and lasted the longest, and the reason I stuck with adding water like I have with all the others.

After adding water, the nose had some vanilla in it and got brinier and a whiff of citrus. On the palate, I got what I've been calling 'peaty' since I began drinking Scotch; a little earthy, a little smoky, a little sweet, a little briny/salty and could be confused with mocha/coffee/chocolate. The finish was more bitter than I like, but not bad.

Total Wine sells this spirit for $67.99/ 750ml. I can think of worse ways to spend that kind of money, and it's the best of the bourbon-tainted samples I've had so far. Too rich for my blood, though I would accept it if offered. :thumbup:

Whiskey Advent calendar, day 22: The Glenturret 12 Year.

Moving further south, we arrive at The Glenturret distillery. 'Officially' established in 1763, the distillery actually traces its first production as an illicit distillery as far back as 1717. It operated continuously until the First World War, after which it opened but closed again during The Great Depression, not reopening until 1957 but running through the current day. According to Masters of Malt, this expression spent its time resting in a combination of American oak hogsheads and European oak casks, resulting in a wealth of creamy vanilla, oily oak and spiced fruit character.

Once again, I can't figure out what I'm getting on the nose. My assistant said orange juice and ginger, at which point I also got the ginger and more of a general citrus note than orange specifically.

The palate followed the nose pretty closely, though with a kind of creamy vanilla note to blunt both the citrus and the ginger, plus a little smoke on the end.

After adding water, the citrus on the nose gave way to vanilla and chased away most but not all of the ginger, and did the same on the palate, and turned the end of the smoky finish to dark chocolate.

Total Wine carries this for $105. That's too rich for me. Pass.

Whiskey Advent calendar, day 23: Aberfeldy 16 Year.

I'm trying something different this time and googling this one until after I've tried it.

The nose is what I call floral, with a berry-like sweetness, like a strawberry cream hard candy. I've heard of the brand before but am guessing it's a Speyside.

The palate is bitter and earthy, and kind of smoky on the finish. After adding water, the nose lost its sweetness and was only mildly floral. The palate got a little more bitter and earthier but less smoky.

The distillery began cranking out whisky in 1898, shut down only for the two world wars (becoming part of Dewars during the interwar period). While situated in the Scottish highlands, their products are speyside in flavor profile.

Total Wine lists Alberfeldy 16 at $199.99, and describe it as matured in a combination of bourbon and sherry casks, this has lovely balance between sweetness and spiciness. This confirms my unshakeable bias against scotch and bourbon mixing together. I like scotch, and I like bourbon; I just don't like them together. Seems too hit and miss with them. A hard pass made harder by the price tag. :thumbdown:

@Charlie Steiner
I appreciate you sharing your Advent journey with us. I generally like scotch but have been playing more in the bourbon playground recently. Although I like scotch, my level of familiarity with the multitude of brands is minimal as I generally stay in my lane with products I know. It has been interesting to for me to hear perspectives on so many and you have peaked my interest on a couple I never heard of before. Thanks.

@Charlie Steiner
I appreciate you sharing your Advent journey with us. I generally like scotch but have been playing more in the bourbon playground recently. Although I like scotch, my level of familiarity with the multitude of brands is minimal as I generally stay in my lane with products I know. It has been interesting to for me to hear perspectives on so many and you have peaked my interest on a couple I never heard of before. Thanks.
I feel like I'm doing the brands I've tried a disservice, as my preference in Scotch doesn't line up with most of what I've tried so far and I have turned my nose at so many reputable and popular brands that I actually feel less knowledgeable than when I started. When I look back at my reports on the different samples I've tried so far, I see that I still can't identify nosing and tasting notes very well at all; same goes with bourbon and now rye. For the most part,there aren't supposed to be 'wrong' answers when identifying what you smell/taste, but even 4+ years into it, I still can't differentiate, which is frustrating at times.

My preference in Scotch goes Islay-->Highland---------------------------->Speyside---------------------------------------------------------------------------->Campbeltown and the rest, mainly because I haven't tried any but the first three. Total Wine has their own proprietary labels (denoted by the Spirits Direct price tags), that are close enough to the 'authentic' brands that their lower price is worth it. Those are another way to dabble in Scotch.

Anyway, I'm glad you're getting something out of this. :hifive:

Whisky Advent calendar, day 24: Balblair 12 Year.

Located in Scotland's upper peninsula and less than 5 miles from the The Glenmorangie distillery, Balblair has been in continuous operation since 1790, having moved once to a bigger building in 1895. In 1996, they were sold to the Inver House conglomerate. My local Total Wine does not carry this brand, though it is available at a Total Wine somewhere for $85.99/750ml.

The Balblair 12 is described as a full-bodied malt matured in American oak ex-Bourbon & double fired American oak casks for 12 years.

I'm told the nose is: Rich in notes of orange and lemon, crisp green apple with delicate ground spices and a subtle vanilla finish. The citrus is more generic than specifically orange or lemon. I also got a very slight vanilla and I'm guessing that what I call 'earthy'--a grainy texture and taste, is what they call 'ground spices'. There was also a smoky/burnt chocolate note on the end. After adding water, the green apple appeared on the nose, and the vanilla became more prominent on the palate. The earthiness also lessened, and the more burnt taste of the chocolate was gone.

If not for the green apple note, I would like this more. It hurts me to point fingers at America, but I have to blame the casks here, the double-fired ones specifically for the burnt chocolate notes. It's not undrinkable, just another one that's not in my wheelhouse, and the price is the clincher. Pass. :topcat:

Whiskey Advent calendar, day 25: Speyburn 18 Year.

The Speyburn distillery has been in constant operation since its founding in 1897. It currently ranks the 9th most popular single-malt sold in the U.S. and is owned by Inver House.

The Speyburn 18 is matured in American oak and Spanish oak casks for 18 years before being bottled at 46% ABV. Total Wine sells it for $144.99/750ml.

My nose found caramel and what I call 'floral' and 'fruity'; Masters of Malt said the nose is Rich toffee, sugar coated almonds and sweet, fresh tropical fruits alongside toffee apples and whispers of smoke.

On the palate, I got mostly vanilla and 'fruity' sweetness, and at 92 proof, I got the 'Kentucky Hug'. Masters of Malt describes the palate as: Luxurious melted dark chocolate, balanced by a hint of citrus and a touch of oak spiciness.

After adding water, the nose turned more citrus than anything else, I got the toffee and almonds on palate and no burn this time, but the finish was really dominated by citrus.

At least I can't blame bourbon for not liking today's sample. Pass. :topcat:

Now that it's over, I want to try to make sense of what I just went through. In no particular order:

1. My nose and palate are orders of magnitude less discerning than true 'experts', and that's okay.
2. I can't help but be suspicious of finished spirits. I say this and confess that I like Woodford and Sagamore Spirits' double oaked products.
3. Realization #2 about my nose and palate: they are very prejudiced. As much as I tried to go into each sample with an open mind, just seeing 'ex-bourbon cask' gave me the expectation I wasn't going to like it.
4. While I don't hesitate to add water to my scotch, there are few bourbons I will willingly add water to.
5. Despite Scotch generally containing 10% less alcohol by volume than the bourbons I drink, I swear I feel the buzz from Scotch faster.
6. Despite having less than favorable opinions on most of the samples I tried, I still enjoyed getting to experience each one, especially how water changed them.

Perhaps I will cross paths with some of these in the future; if I do, I will try to remember to never say never. :bye:

Thanks for sharing this with us. Really interesting (especially coming from the other side of The Pond, where these whiskies are significantly cheaper, it seems, even with our OTT duties and taxes).

If you're ever in London, happy to introduce you to whiskies from Campbeltown - there's some good stuff from down there :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing this with us. Really interesting (especially coming from the other side of The Pond, where these whiskies are significantly cheaper, it seems, even with our OTT duties and taxes).

If you're ever in London, happy to introduce you to whiskies from Campbeltown - there's some good stuff from down there :thumbup:
Thank you for taking the time and reading what I wrote. As far as making it to London, my hope for getting across the pond is more related to your northern neighbor; my father's side of the family traces its roots to the Isle of Skye, so I'd like to visit there and Islay, of course, but I don't see why I couldn't/wouldn't swing by London, and I'll probably need a translator, since we're separated by a common language.:hifive:

Users who are viewing this thread