What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Shawshank Redemption (4 Viewers)

I also hate gangster / mafia films. Also never watched the Sopranos and have no desire to ever see it.

There's lots of films that have gotten rave reviews that I've never seen:The GodfatherThe Godfather Part 2Schindler's ListX-menGoodfellasFerris Bueller's Day OffI only saw the Breakfast Club years after it came out, like late 1990s.The ShiningJawsBlade RunnerI finally saw Escape from New York THIS YEAR for the first time.As far TV shows, I never watched Fresh Prince and never watched Saved By The Bell.
Isn't that something.

I don't think I've ever watched the Goonies in its entirety. I've seen parts of it on free tv here or there. Don't think I saw the whole thing.

I did finally see the usual suspects about 5 years ago.

I never watched any of the X-men films. Or Spider Man 3. But I remember after watching Batman Forever, I swore off comic book films for a long, long time.

There's lots of films that have gotten rave reviews that I've never seen:The GodfatherThe Godfather Part 2Schindler's ListX-menGoodfellasFerris Bueller's Day OffI only saw the Breakfast Club years after it came out, like late 1990s.The ShiningJawsBlade RunnerI finally saw Escape from New York THIS YEAR for the first time.As far TV shows, I never watched Fresh Prince and never watched Saved By The Bell.
What about Final Destination 4?

Ferris Bueller should never be on that list!

'Fensalk said:
What did interest you as a teenager?

'Fensalk said:
Running around outside and playing. I swam a LOT. As a kid I'd buy the season pool pass every year and spend as much time there as I could. Went hiking, played games outside with friends.

'Fensalk said:
There's lots of films that have gotten rave reviews that I've never seen:

The Godfather

The Godfather Part 2

Schindler's List

X-men

Goodfellas

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

I only saw the Breakfast Club years after it came out, like late 1990s.

The Shining

Jaws

Blade Runner

I finally saw Escape from New York THIS YEAR for the first time.

As far TV shows, I never watched Fresh Prince and never watched Saved By The Bell.
Running around outside and playing. I swam a LOT. As a kid I'd buy the season pool pass every year and spend as much time there as I could. Went hiking, played games outside with friends.
Found a picture of you.

'Fensalk said:

The Godfather

The Godfather Part 2

Schindler's List

X-men

Goodfellas

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Shining

Jaws

Blade Runner

As far TV shows, I never watched Fresh Prince and never watched Saved By The Bell.
Found a picture of you.
nice bro

'Fensalk said:

The Godfather

The Godfather Part 2

Schindler's List

X-men

Goodfellas

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Shining

Jaws

Blade Runner

Found a picture of you.
I was thinking something more along the lines of this.

'Fensalk said:

The Godfather

The Godfather Part 2

Schindler's List

X-men

Goodfellas

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

The Shining

Jaws

Blade Runner

Found a picture of you.
I was thinking something more along the lines of this.
Ok, you win the internet today. :thumbup:

Were all you guys really just plopped in front of a TV when you were young? I can't recall really watching too much TV at all until I went to college in 1991. The list of 1980s movies I missed is basically, the list of 1980s movies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Were all you guys really just plopped in front of a TV when you were young? I can't recall really watching too much TV at all until I went to college in 1991. The list of 1980s movies I missed is basically, the list of 1980s movies.
Seriously. I was always out doing something I shouldn't be doing. Never watched much TV.

also, at about the time they discovered the hole Anyd was taking money from the first of 12 or 13 banks.

how long would it take to go make sizable withdraws from 12 banks? Wouldn't you think by the time he was done the town would have been flooded with people looking for him?

considering the warden knew where the deposits had been placed, you'd think he would have sent people to banks to look for Andy wouldn't he?
Who was the warden going to warn? Pretty much the only people that knew about the grift were he and me.And we weren't dumb enough to put the deposits in in-town banks.

Plus, when he relized the jig was up, I'm pretty sure he wasn't worried about finding me, but rather in covering his tracks.
there was an escaped convictat bank #1 they find the hole and know he is gone

by bank #12 they should be able to have police or guards or something in town looking for him
A convict escapes through a ####-filled sewer pipe and discards his prison garb - I think the last place they'd expect to find him is bopping around Main St., in and out of banks. In fairness to your argument, morning rollcall would certainly precede the opening of the banks. Andy would have to have a lot of nerve to wait patiently for the banks to open, knowing the chaotic scene he left behind (and not knowing for certain that the warden, in fact, got busy dyin'). [An interesting aspect is how quickly the package got from the bank to its destination (via 'outgoing mail') and how quickly everyone responded after that.] Nevertheless ...I was under the impression that happened over days or weeks. Maybe I need to watch it again.

'Clayton Gray said:
'Fensalk said:
What about Final Destination 4?
:lmao:

Seriously. I was always out doing something I shouldn't be doing. Never watched much TV.
i was born in '83. i played travelling baseball, basketball, and football all year 'round. I was outside ALL summer. my brothers and i did everything you guys did. trashed the neighborhood, got in trouble, ran from cops, played sandlot (backyard) baseball, basketball when not at practice... and i have seen each of those movies NUMEROUS times. what the hell is wrong with some of you guys?

i was born in '83. i played travelling baseball, basketball, and football all year 'round. I was outside ALL summer. my brothers and i did everything you guys did. trashed the neighborhood, got in trouble, ran from cops, played sandlot (backyard) baseball, basketball when not at practice... and i have seen each of those movies NUMEROUS times. what the hell is wrong with some of you guys?
:goodposting: Played tons of sports in my youth and teens. Hung out, went to parties, drank, etc. Still seen most of these iconic movies. Never saw Schindlers list but thats by choice. Saw everything else on that list. Some of them I didn't appreciate till I was about 19 or 20 (the Godfathers, Goodfellas). I guess some people weren't good at time management.

I played sports every day in the summer when school wasn't in seasonWhen I got older I came home from school after practice during the school week, did homework and ate dinner, all the while the craziest thing was going on...the outside was dark because this thing called the sun was shining on the other side of the world so we went to this really whacky idea of a store called a video store! Damnedest thing it was. We could go in and they would charge us a small fee and they trusted us to take these movies on tape home where we put them in a VCR and watched them.And during the cold harsh winters in Minnesota, sometimes we would go get a lot of movies and watch them over a weekend. Don't even think to ask about making popcorn on the stovetop or using a hot-air popper. That might make your head explode.

this reminds of a recent post where someone asks how people watch so much tv these days like a few hours a night is really that hard to pull off. as a kid, when its the middle of winter and it gets dark out at like 4:30 what else are you going to do and please don't say homework.

this reminds of a recent post where someone asks how people watch so much tv these days like a few hours a night is really that hard to pull off. as a kid, when its the middle of winter and it gets dark out at like 4:30 what else are you going to do and please don't say homework.
I think I understand, you guys lived in areas that had snow and were not huge fan of being out in it.

To be, or not to be, that is the question:Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to sufferThe slings and arrows of outrageous fortune,Or to take arms against a sea of troublesAnd by opposing end them. To die—to sleep,No more; and by a sleep to say we endThe heart-ache and the thousand natural shocksThat flesh is heir to: 'tis a consummationDevoutly to be wish'd. To die, to sleep;To sleep, perchance to dream—ay, there's the rub:For in that sleep of death what dreams may come,When we have shuffled off this mortal coil,Must give us pause—there's the respectThat makes calamity of so long life.For who would bear the whips and scorns of time,Th'oppressor's wrong, the proud man's contumely,The pangs of dispriz'd love, the law's delay,The insolence of office, and the spurnsThat patient merit of th'unworthy takes,When he himself might his quietus makeWith a bare bodkin? Who would fardels bear,To grunt and sweat under a weary life,But that the dread of something after death,The undiscovere'd country, from whose bournNo traveller returns, puzzles the will,And makes us rather bear those ills we haveThan fly to others that we know not of?Thus conscience does make cowards of us all,And thus the native hue of resolutionIs sicklied o'er with the pale cast of thought,And enterprises of great pitch and momentWith this regard their currents turn awryAnd lose the name of action.
Is it wrong that I immediately associated this with Billy Madison? :unsure:

It's back on A & E. Showing it now (Pacific Time) and again at midnight. It usually gets repeated more on this channel so if you're looking to see this, should be on more this month.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's back on A & E. Showing it now (Pacific Time) and again at midnight. It usually gets repeated more on this channel so if you're looking to see this, should be on more this month.
They edit it way more than other channels. Even "damn" was edited out.

Hell if I know. Watched a ton of movies growing up. My kids are always busy but they've seen a lot of movies as well.

Hell if I know. Watched a ton of movies growing up. My kids are always busy but they've seen a lot of movies as well.
I guess those guys out all day went to bed at 7pm. I used to watch a ton of movies and shows at night.

https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/01/shawshank-redemption-oak-tree-table-65k-super-fan-buying/

The old oak tree from "The Shawshank Redemption" is still getting busy living ... now as a piece of fancy furniture made for a superfan.

Brian McNeal, owner of Natural Wood Mirrors, tells TMZ ... he's been working with the owners of the famous movie tree to craft a table for a potential buyer from Toronto who loves the film, and already has 2 smaller tables made from the oak.

We're told the guy dropped over $24k total on the 2 tables, but wanted to take it to another level for the third piece in the set, and gave McNeal a $65,000 budget to work with. As you can see ... he's making the most of it.

McNeal says he's using a product called EcoPoxy to encase the wood for the table's surface, and also used a branch from the tree to create the table's base. The centerpiece includes stills from the classic film -- including shots of Andy and Red -- and reads, "crafted from The Shawshank Oak Tree."

"The Shawshank Redemption" will be celebrating its 25th anniversary later this year, and THE Ohio State Reformatory where it was filmed will be holding the 5th annual Shawshank Hustle -- a race and festival in its honor.

McNeal says he and the tree's owner will be offering online chances to win tickets to the event, where some of the actors are expected to attend, along with a tour of where the remaining wood is stored and the field where the tree stood.

The famous tree was cut down after suffering severe storm damage in 2016, but the lumber's lived on the form of collector's items ... including 25th anniversary slices of the tree's trunk. 

Went to the prison where this was filmed last fall. If you are ever passing through Mansfield I would highly recommend stopping. Very interesting to see the conditions there as well as seeing the sights from the film 

https://www.tmz.com/2019/04/01/shawshank-redemption-oak-tree-table-65k-super-fan-buying/

The old oak tree from "The Shawshank Redemption" is still getting busy living ... now as a piece of fancy furniture made for a superfan.

Brian McNeal, owner of Natural Wood Mirrors, tells TMZ ... he's been working with the owners of the famous movie tree to craft a table for a potential buyer from Toronto who loves the film, and already has 2 smaller tables made from the oak.

We're told the guy dropped over $24k total on the 2 tables, but wanted to take it to another level for the third piece in the set, and gave McNeal a $65,000 budget to work with. As you can see ... he's making the most of it.

McNeal says he's using a product called EcoPoxy to encase the wood for the table's surface, and also used a branch from the tree to create the table's base. The centerpiece includes stills from the classic film -- including shots of Andy and Red -- and reads, "crafted from The Shawshank Oak Tree."

"The Shawshank Redemption" will be celebrating its 25th anniversary later this year, and THE Ohio State Reformatory where it was filmed will be holding the 5th annual Shawshank Hustle -- a race and festival in its honor.

McNeal says he and the tree's owner will be offering online chances to win tickets to the event, where some of the actors are expected to attend, along with a tour of where the remaining wood is stored and the field where the tree stood.

The famous tree was cut down after suffering severe storm damage in 2016, but the lumber's lived on the form of collector's items ... including 25th anniversary slices of the tree's trunk. 
It's cool I guess. Although imagine spending $24k on a couple of chairs. 

Users who are viewing this thread