What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The Wire (1 Viewer)

5. Colvin - Hamsterdam was genius
I hated the Hamsterdam plan from Day 1. It was such an unrealistic plan that it's the main reason why Season 3 ranks only ahead of Season 5 in my rankings. (41235)
different strokes, for me it was season 2
Didn't a mayor of Baltimore actually try to legalize drugs?
Yes, Hamsterdam was based on fact, taken a bit more extreme for dramatic purposes.http://www.thenation.com/doc/19990920/shenk
Facts are unrealistic.

I think 2 is an acquired taste. When you watch it after only seeing season 1, its kind of disappointing, but it grows on you.

And after seeing all 5 seasons, in retrospect, its the most unique and is quite good.

I think 2 is an acquired taste. When you watch it after only seeing season 1, its kind of disappointing, but it grows on you.

And after seeing all 5 seasons, in retrospect, its the most unique and is quite good.
:lmao: I went into Season 2 expecting to be disappointed (partly due to all the negative chatter) but I liked it and it really grew on me. It's not my favorite season but far better than 5 and up there with Season 1. Seasons 3 and 4 are the crown jewels.

5. Colvin - Hamsterdam was genius
I hated the Hamsterdam plan from Day 1. It was such an unrealistic plan that it's the main reason why Season 3 ranks only ahead of Season 5 in my rankings. (41235)
Yes, Hamsterdam was based on fact, taken a bit more extreme for dramatic purposes.http://www.thenation.com/doc/19990920/shenk
I'm still waiting for jamny to make a formal apology to Season 3.

I'm still waiting for jamny to make a formal apology to Season 3.
Not happening. That article described something completely different from the ridiculous Hamsterdam plan. How anyone didn't see that it was a disaster waiting to happen is beyond me. On a show that prides itself on realism I was pissed that they would do a storyline like that.

I miss the hell out of this show. I've actually been watching "The Wire" reruns more often that I watch Sopranos reruns... and that's saying something if you know me. Omar is easily a Top-5 TV character of all-time.

The only beef I have with this show - and it's a minor one - was their choice of Paul Ben-Victor to play Spiros. His fake Greek accent borders on brutal. Every time I look at him, all I see is "Steve" the fast-talking hustler who had a recurring role on NYPD Blue.

I just watched the whole Series in 3 weeks. Television doesn't get better.

Rankings

Season 1

Season 4-3-5

Season 2

whitem0nkey said:
Great stuff, love the quotes too.This may sound crazy, but I think an even better example of Chaotic Evil than Marlo is Kenard. Marlo was a pretty bad dude, but it wasn't wanton mayhem, it was all in furthering his business and his name. We see Kenard abusing a cat, steals from Namon as soon as he puts him on, curses like a sailor, the obvious thing near the end of the show...kid is just evil incarnate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Raider Nation said:
I miss the hell out of this show. I've actually been watching "The Wire" reruns more often that I watch Sopranos reruns... and that's saying something if you know me. Omar is easily a Top-5 TV character of all-time.

The only beef I have with this show - and it's a minor one - was their choice of Paul Ben-Victor to play Spiros. His fake Greek accent borders on brutal. Every time I look at him, all I see is "Steve" the fast-talking hustler who had a recurring role on NYPD Blue.
Well, he wasn't really greek. :thumbup:

Raider Nation said:

Well, he wasn't really greek. :thumbup:
He was Greek. It was the Greek who wasn't really Greek.

whitem0nkey said:
Great stuff, love the quotes too.This may sound crazy, but I think an even better example of Chaotic Evil than Marlo is Kenard. Marlo was a pretty bad dude, but it wasn't wanton mayhem, it was all in furthering his business and his name. We see Kenard abusing a cat, steals from Namon as soon as he puts him on, curses like a sailor, the obvious thing near the end of the show...kid is just evil incarnate.
While the chart is interesting, it is far from accurate. The Wire's characters really can't be put into categories like that.

Kima is outside my building in downtown Providence filming a pilot for ABC called Body of Evidence. Looking gooooood.
I work downtown Providence also. Which building are they filming at?
Sorry I missed this question. They filmed on Wednesday outside my office at the Amica Building - right where Weybosset and Westminster come together. On Thursday they shot at where Westminster crosses the river going up to the East Side.Where do you work?

I really like season 2, I don't get it why it's panned so much. It had a coherent story line that was advanced throughout the season. Of all the seasons it does stand on it's own a lot more but that's not a bad thing either.

I really like season 2, I don't get it why it's panned so much. It had a coherent story line that was advanced throughout the season. Of all the seasons it does stand on it's own a lot more but that's not a bad thing either.
I agree. For me, the final few episodes are as strong as any season.
I initially was down on season II because it started slow which was a let down after the excitement of the end of season I. That and Ziggy being such a caricature. Once it got going it was as good as I and III (that's as far as I've gotten).

whitem0nkey said:
While the chart is interesting, it is far from accurate. The Wire's characters really can't be put into categories like that.
Hey man, thanks for the insight.

Well, he wasn't really greek. :excited:
I thought that the Greek says "but of course, we are not really Greek"?

Wow. I finally finished all 5 seasons. One of the advantages to waiting until it was complete was seeing all 5 seasons consecutively with no waiting around.

One of the downsides - and it amazes me to even say it given some of the nonsense that gets posted in the LOST thread - is following along with you guys on the series. For example, I completely missed

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();I'm only 8 pages in on this thread, so I might have more later.

Wow. I finally finished all 5 seasons. One of the advantages to waiting until it was complete was seeing all 5 seasons consecutively with no waiting around.

One of the downsides - and it amazes me to even say it given some of the nonsense that gets posted in the LOST thread - is following along with you guys on the series. For example, I completely missed
*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

I'm only 8 pages in on this thread, so I might have more later.
Si, they were after Omar and after B Mouzone's dude left the bar one episode, they panned for a brief couple of seconds to Rawls taking a drink.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

I'm only 8 pages in on this thread, so I might have more later.
I watched on DVD too but followed along with this thread as if I was watching at the same time. Did the same with Deadwood.

I really wish they would have included Slim Charles more in the last season, one of my favorite secondary characters of this show. Also props out to Freamon. Very underrated character in this show and always :shrug: favorite primary characters for all 5 seasons:1. Omar, u heard2. Bubs3. Bunk4. Freamon5. Avon BarksdaleBest secondary characters:1. Slim2. Cutty3. Rawls4. Jay5. SnoopNo wrong answers here though. Were there even bad tirshiary characters?
Primary:1. Omar2. Herc3. Bubbles4. Carcetti5. FreamonSecondary:1. Brother Mouzone2. The "Greek"3. Rawls4. Norman5. Proposition JoeTertiary:1. Fuzzy Dunlop :lmao:2. Valchek3. Horseface4. Dee Dee5. U.S. Attorney for the District of Maryland

Well, he wasn't really greek. :sadbanana:
I thought that the Greek says "but of course, we are not really Greek"?
The Greek says, "and, ofcourse, I'm not even Greek." Spiros Vondopoulos is definitely Greek.

RE: Herc - I remember a season 1 commentary track mentioning it would later be revealed why he had a NY accent. But I don't remember ever catching the explanation in later seasons. Did I miss it, or was it just never addressed?

Users who are viewing this thread