What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

The “Woke” thread (1 Viewer)

Come on.  This isn't the kind of society we should be building.
JFC

The joke was inappropriate. The punishment was excessive IMO (though there may be details I am unaware of.) Your reaction, attempting to use this incident to damn our current society, is way over the top and far worse than anything the Washington Post has done, IMO. 

I bet dollars to donuts if the joke had been about men (specifically, white men) you would be laughing your ### off right now.

So, yes, we do have different definitions.  I think a joke is funny regardless of the target.

No. I wasn't offended by it. I'm almost never offended. I just didn't think it was funny.

JFC

The joke was inappropriate. The punishment was excessive IMO (though there may be details I am unaware of.) Your reaction, attempting to use this incident to damn our current society, is way over the top and far worse than anything the Washington Post has done, IMO. 

This would have been an excellent post (IMO) if you had just stopped after "over the top." 

"...and far worse than anything the Washington Post has done, IMO" was unnecessary and incorrect.

JFC

The joke was inappropriate. The punishment was excessive IMO (though there may be details I am unaware of.) Your reaction, attempting to use this incident to damn our current society, is way over the top and far worse than anything the

Washington

Post has done, IMO. 

Had the target been men you wouldn't be saying the same thing.  You would be laughing your butt off.  I can almost 100% guarantee it.  :)

Last edited by a moderator:
JFC

There are a lot more details.   Here is a very rough synopsis

-  Reporter Dave Weigel retweeted controversial joke.

- One of his colleagues, one Felicia Sonmez, takes issue with the tweet and posts her displeasure:

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1532763318804439047?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1532763318804439047|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fredstate.com%2Fsister-toldjah%2F2022%2F06%2F03%2Foutright-hilarity-commences-after-washington-post-reporters-clash-on-twitter-over-sexist-retweet-n574421

- Weigel immediately apologizes and deletes the tweet.

- Sonmez's tweet sets Twitter on fire, with woke people all expressing outrage.

-  It also starts a war between various reporters at the WP, some calling for calm.  But Somnez is at the middle of all of it, fanning the flames.  She goes after another reporter named Jose Del Real to the point that he blocks her.  Well, she can't have that:

https://twitter.com/feliciasonmez/status/1533993336050176000?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1533993336050176000|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fredstate.com%2Fbonchie%2F2022%2F06%2F07%2Fjournalist-who-mocked-cancel-culture-gets-canceled-n575659

This all leads to the suspension of Weigel, and we'll see about Del Real.  Oh, and it's worth noting that this Sonmez person, who I had never heard of before this, recently lost a court case after she sued her employer the Washington Post:

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/03/judge-tosses-reporter-felicia-sonmezs-discrimination-case-against-the-washington-post

This Felicia Sonmez person must be a hoot at parties.

Washington Post reporter Felicia Sonmez led the outrage towards colleague Dave Weigel over a retweet that mocked women, resulting in a suspension. But Weigel came to Sonmez's defense when she herself landed in hot water with the paper. 
https://www.foxnews.com/media/dave-weigel-defended-felicia-sonmez-washington-post-suspension

Also, it turns out that Sonmez has pending litigation against the Post, apparently in the appeal stage.  So she's basically untouchable, since any personnel action against her could plausibly be viewed as retaliation.  

JFC

a) Nope, the joke is fine.  You see humor like this on primetime network television.  As I mentioned earlier, this line was not stolen from The Office, but it could have been.

b) I know you want to write off each of these little things as one-off anecdotes, but this isn't even necessarily the stupidest thing to happen to the Washington Post in the past week.  Taylor Lorenz got caught lying about attempting to contact sources over the weekend.  That scandal got brushed aside by the crazy bipolar lady who freaked out over a "women are crazy amirite?" joke.  At some point, you need to reckon with the fact that these things keep happening, and they're part of a pattern.

a) Nope, the joke is fine.  You see humor like this on primetime network television.  As I mentioned earlier, this line was not stolen from The Office, but it could have been.

b) I know you want to write off each of these little things as one-off anecdotes, but this isn't even necessarily the stupidest thing to happen to the Washington Post in the past week.  Taylor Lorenz got caught lying about attempting to contact sources over the weekend.  That scandal got brushed aside by the crazy bipolar lady who freaked out over a "women are crazy amirite?" joke.  At some point, you need to reckon with the fact that these things keep happening, and they're part of a pattern.

Tim: "There is no such thing as patterns."

Joke was misogynistic.  I agree that much of prime time TV could be as well. That doesn’t mean it should be normalized. 

Joke was misogynistic.  I agree that much of prime time TV could be as well. That doesn’t mean it should be normalized. 
Couldn't disagree more and I don't want society to become what you're trying to make it into.  Good natured jokes about differences between men and women -- and this was definitely of the good-natured variety -- are healthy and fine.

This particular joke is no more sexist than the "men won't go to therapy" joke.  Or the distracted boyfriend meme for that matter.  This stuff is all fine.

To be clear, I would also expect to be fired if I posted a "men are horndogs" joke using my official work account.  To Ivan's point earlier, this definitely depends on the occupation.

Couldn't disagree more and I don't want society to become what you're trying to make it into.  Good natured jokes about differences between men and women -- and this was definitely of the good-natured variety -- are healthy and fine.

This particular joke is no more sexist than the "men won't go to therapy" joke.  Or the distracted boyfriend meme for that matter.  This stuff is all fine.
Which part was good natured, the bipolar part or the bisexual part?  And these are natural differences between men and women?  Again, I think that the norms have shifted so much that you don’t see anything wrong with the joke.  

Which part was good natured, the bipolar part or the bisexual part?  And these are natural differences between men and women?  Again, I think that the norms have shifted so much that you don’t see anything wrong with the joke.  

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm guessing jokes or comments about men - white men in particular - wouldn't bother you at all?  You see, we know how you guys roll.

I don't like this move towards totalitarianism I'm seeing from the woke crowd.

Lighten up, Francis.

I'm guessing jokes or comments about men - white men in particular - wouldn't bother you at all?  You see, we know how you guys roll.

I don't like this move towards totalitarianism I'm seeing from the woke crowd.
Do you have some funny jokes about white men?  Most I recall were either ethnic slurs or attacking homosexuals. You could start a joke thread. 

Both parts are fine and good-natured.  This is just a "women are crazy" joke.  It's not the slightest bit different from "men are horndogs" or "dads are nerds" jokes. 

Do you have some funny jokes about white men?  Most I recall were either ethnic slurs or attacking homosexuals. You could start a joke thread. 

Not at the moment, but this guy does.  You should run over there and finger-wag at him too.

I'm guessing you don't and I'm guessing we all know why.  :shrug:

Nice write-up by Josh Barro on this dust-up.  Barro is a center-left guy who disagrees with me about the joke, but who recognizes how toxic this workplace environment is.  

@timschochet This is where you're missing out on Twitter.  Journalists are all on Twitter and they love to talk about their work.  I think this is why you and I disagree so much on the sorry state of the MSM.

Excellent post.

man, the left loves to eat their own. Say what you want about the right, but they circle the wagons when under attack. The left will chew off its own arm to get at the throat of one of its own if it will score some virtue points. 

man, the left loves to eat their own. Say what you want about the right, but they circle the wagons when under attack. The left will chew off its own arm to get at the throat of one of its own if it will score some virtue points. 
Meh -- a twitter rant  :shrug:  Almost as intriguing as the Depp-Heard trial...

ok...lets keep this topic fair:

What do you call a handcuffed man? 
Trustworthy.

What does it mean when a man is in your bed gasping for breath and calling  your name?
You didn't hold the pillow down long enough.

Why do only 10% of men make it to heaven?
 Because if they all went, it would be Hell.

Why do men like smart women?
Opposites attract.

How are husbands like lawn mowers?
They're hard to get started, they emit noxious odors, and half the time  they don't work.

How can you tell when a man is well hung?
When you can just barely slip your finger between his neck and the  noose.

How do men define a "50/50" relationship?
We cook-they eat; we clean-they dirty; we iron-they wrinkle.

How do men exercise on the beach?
By sucking in their stomachs every time they see a bikini.

How do you get a man to stop biting his nails?
Make him wear shoes.

How does a man show he's planning for the future?
He buys two cases of beer instead of one.

How is Colonel Sanders like the typical male?
All he's concerned with is legs, breasts, and thighs.

How many men does it take to screw in a light bulb?
ONE......He just holds it up there and waits for the world to revolve around him.

What did God say after creating man?
I can do so much better.

What do most men consider a gourmet restaurant?
Any place without a drive-up window.

What do you call a man with half a brain?
Gifted.

Why is it good that there are female astronauts?
When the crew gets lost in space, the woman will ask for directions.

What do you do with a bachelor who thinks he's God's gift to women?
Exchange him.

What should you give a man who has everything?
 A woman to show him how to work it.

What's a man's idea of honesty in a relationship?
Telling you his real name.

What's the best way to force a man to do sit-ups?
Put the remote control between his toes.

What's the difference between Big Foot and an intelligent man?
Big Foot's been spotted several times.

What's the smartest thing a man can say?
"My wife says...."

Why are all dumb blonde jokes one-liners?
So men can understand them.

Why did God create man before woman?
Because you're always supposed to have a rough draft before creating  your masterpiece.

Why do female black widow spiders kill the males after mating?
 To stop the snoring before it starts.

Why do jocks play on artificial turf?
 To keep them from grazing.

Why do men need instant replay on TV sports?
 Because after 30 seconds they forget what happened.

Why does it take 100 million sperm to fertilize one egg?
Because not one will stop and ask for directions.

Why is psychoanalysis a lot quicker for men than for women?
 When it's time to go back to his childhood, he's already there.

Men are like.....Laxatives.
   They irritate the #### out of you.

Men are like......Bananas.
   The older they get, the less firm they are.

Men are like.....Vacations.
   They never seem to be long enough.

Men are like.....Bank Machines.
   Once they withdraw they lose interest.

Men are like.....Weather.
   Nothing can be done to change either one of them.

Men are like.....Blenders.
   You need one, but you're not quite sure why.

Men are like.....Cement.
   After getting laid, they take a long time to get hard.

Men are like.....Chocolate Bars.
   Sweet, smooth, and they usually head right for  your hips.

Men are like.....Coffee
   The best ones are rich, warm, and can keep  you up all night long.

Men are like.....Commercials.
   You can't believe a word they say.

Men are like.....Department Stores.
   Their clothes should always be half off.

Men are like.....Government bonds.
   They take so long to mature.

Men are like.....Horoscopes.
 They always tell you what to do and are usually wrong.

Men are like.....Lawn Mowers.
   If you're not pushing one around, then you're  riding it.

Men are like.....Mascara.
   They usually run at the first sign of emotion.

Men are like.....Popcorn.
   They satisfy you, but only for a little while.

Men are like.....Snowstorms.
   You never know when he's coming, how many inches you'll get or how
long he will last

Trustworthy.

What does it mean when a man is in your bed gasping for breath and calling  your name?

Opposites attract.

They're hard to get started, they emit noxious odors, and half the time  they don't work.

Make him wear shoes.

ONE......He just holds it up there and waits for the world to revolve around him.

I can do so much better.

Gifted.

Exchange him.

"My wife says...."

Because you're always supposed to have a rough draft before creating  your masterpiece.

Men are like.....Cement.

Men are like.....Coffee

long he will last

@Joe Bryant Can we get a "Cancel" Button added next to the "Report" button?  :lol:

Trustworthy.

Opposites attract.

Make him wear shoes.

I can do so much better.

Gifted.

Exchange him.

"My wife says...."

Men are like.....Cement.

Men are like.....Coffee

long he will last
These are awful.  Some would be considered in bad taste similar to the bi-Joke. Thanks for posting. 

These are awful.  Some would be considered in bad taste similar to the bi-Joke. Thanks for posting. 

well I diid say I was keeping it fair....

:rolleyes:  at least I know to never go to a comedy club with you.....or a comic movie for that matter......heck you dont even seem fun a BBQ. 

loosen the grip on those pearls before you choke yourself. 

+5 Virtue PointsTM  awarded *

* Virtue Points brought to you by Getacet.  Ask your doctor if Getacet is right for you.

Gifted.

long he will last
I liked all of the above. Actually LOL'd at the noose one.

I can safely say, as a liberal,  that people get offended way too easily and react way too strongly when they do. 

This one I did chuckle at. I was uncomfortable with the handcuffs and the noose references. 
I get it...but they are jokes.....just jokes....little words that make people chuckle and then disappear...unless you give them more power then they inherently have. People injecting wayyyyyy too much into a sentence fragment moves it from a "Haha" to a "WTF man!!!!!!!!!"

the joke in question: I have a wife and a teen daughter. Did I read that joke and say "this is propsrurious, I must defend the sanctity of my wife and the honor of my daughter!!!!" 

no, but what made me chuckle is that in some point in my life, I've prob encountered a girl or 2 who fit that description. And then I went on with my life/work/etc. If it wasn't for this thread, that joke would have occupied exactly 30 seconds of my day and I would have gone home, kissed the wife and kids and moved on with my night hoping the Rangers lose and Tampa can come back to face Colorado in the NHL finals. THATS ALL.

I dont read those things and feel that my wife and daughter are under attack, any more then the male-centric jokes I posted being on on point for any of the buddies of mine. (the 2 cases thing fits my buddy John to a T). But thats just it, it humor. Its satire. 

the "well hung" joke...its just a simple double entendre of something girls ask their girlfriends about all the time "sooo...was he well hung?" No one is insinuating that women need to brush up on their lynching skills. 

And the handcuffs was even less risqué....Ohhh I get it, I can finally trust him b/c he cant go anywhere....hee hee

If we start fighting over meaningless little, stereotypical jokes like this, then what do we have? Might as well break out the white jumpsuits for everyone and get ready to be entertained by the "dept of sanitized and licensed content" shows and topics. 

I'm a 48 year old heterosexual white man, of german decent, have at it. Kraut, old man, hitler jokes....its not gonna phase me b/c I know they are just words. 

I get it...but they are jokes.....just jokes....little words that make people chuckle and then disappear...unless you give them more power then they inherently have. People injecting wayyyyyy too much into a sentence fragment moves it from a "Haha" to a "WTF man!!!!!!!!!"

the joke in question: I have a wife and a teen daughter. Did I read that joke and say "this is propsrurious, I must defend the sanctity of my wife and the honor of my daughter!!!!" 

no, but what made me chuckle is that in some point in my life, I've prob encountered a girl or 2 who fit that description. And then I went on with my life/work/etc. If it wasn't for this thread, that joke would have occupied exactly 30 seconds of my day and I would have gone home, kissed the wife and kids and moved on with my night hoping the Rangers lose and Tampa can come back to face Colorado in the NHL finals. THATS ALL.

I dont read those things and feel that my wife and daughter are under attack, any more then the male-centric jokes I posted being on on point for any of the buddies of mine. (the 2 cases thing fits my buddy John to a T). But thats just it, it humor. Its satire. 

the "well hung" joke...its just a simple double entendre of something girls ask their girlfriends about all the time "sooo...was he well hung?" No one is insinuating that women need to brush up on their lynching skills. 

And the handcuffs was even less risqué....Ohhh I get it, I can finally trust him b/c he cant go anywhere....hee hee

If we start fighting over meaningless little, stereotypical jokes like this, then what do we have? Might as well break out the white jumpsuits for everyone and get ready to be entertained b/c the "dept of sanitized and licensed content" shows and topics. 

I'm a 48 year old heterosexual white man, of german decent, have at it. Kraut, old man, hitler jokes....its not gonna phase me b/c I know they are just words. 

What if I made jokes about German beer?

Users who are viewing this thread