What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Theo Riddick, RB DET: Anything to See Here? (1 Viewer)

just_want_2_win

Footballguy
What insight do any Lions homers have into RB Theo Riddick?

Looks like he's the 3rd RB in Detroit now, ahead of Mikel Leshoure. With Bush so fragile, Joique Bell is getting a lot of work, which exposes him to injury as well. Riddick's listed at 5'10" and 201 lbs., born in '91. The Lions drafted him out of Notre Dame in the 6th round this year. According to his bio,
"In his final season, as a senior in 2012, he made the move back to running back. Splitting carries with fellow senior classmate Cierre Wood, he rushed for 917 yards on 190 carries (4.8 avg) and five touchdowns. He also recorded 36 receptions for 370 yards and two touchdowns."

Is Riddick a guy worth monitoring? The Detroit offense looks pretty good so far...doesn't seem like the worst idea to want to grab a part of it.

Here's what RW has on Riddick:

MLive.com believes Lions sixth-round RB Theo Riddick could be Joique Bell's top backup this week, ahead of Mikel Leshoure, if Reggie Bush (knee) sits out.

Riddick has been on the active 46-man roster for game days over Leshoure the first two weeks mainly because he contributes on special teams. OC Scott Linehan thinks Riddick has "some of the effect that maybe a Reggie might do" as a rusher and receiver out of the backfield. It's looking like Leshoure has no future in Detroit. He's a candidate to be traded ahead of October's deadline.

Just a note that Wayne State Joique is looking like he might be out or at least limited, at any rate he's dinged. I had gotten a favorable impression about Theo from earlier in the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
As a Notre Dame fan, I'll give you the college background. He was a guy we recruited as an RB, eventually moved him to WR, then back to RB. So he has good hands and good enough vision with the ball in his hands. He sees the field as that tweener WR/RB, hence the back and forth shuffle.

He ran very hard in college for his size, playing more like a 220 lb guy that could bruise college defenders inside surprisingly, but was never all that fast. He's that prototypical college gamer. He did nothing spectacular, but was a solid 6 at everything he did all around. He's the quintessential NFL backup as he won't kill you, but isn't likely to ever break out and be anything special.

Rotoworld:

Theo Riddick - RB - Lions

Backup QB Dan Orlovsky expects Theo Riddick to serve in a Darren Sproles-like role for the Lions.

We're a bit loath to post about a No. 2 quarterback praising a No. 3 running back, but this isn't the first we've heard of a Sproles-type role for Riddick. "(Riddick), he wasn’t covered a single time in OTAs and minicamp," Orlovsky said. "And I think that it’s even going to be easier for him when he gets pads on because, once linebackers just try to start colliding him, and that’s what teams started to do with Sproles sometimes. ... You hit the home run once every 10 plays, and then 9 out of 10 times, Sproles wins. And that’s what I think Theo’s going to do for us." Riddick is unlikely to make a re-draft impact behind Reggie Bush and Joique Bell, but is becoming a more-attractive target in Dynasty leagues.

Related: Dan Orlovsky

Source: Detroit Free Press

Jul 7 - 2:56 PM

not draftable in redrafts in anything but the deepest leagues, but worth having on your watch list. in dynasties, he may be worth rostering at this point if your league is deep enough. it all boils down to how they use him. he has been mentioned multiple times throughout this offseason by both players and coaches though, so that's a good sign.

I'm on board in a fairly deep dynasty format.

Detroit doesn't want either Bush or Bell to be a work horse back so if one of them gets injured or is ineffective for whatever reason I expect Riddick to get significant reps. OTA camp has been strong so far.

You can't duplicate Sproles ability in that offense. Sproles types of players (specialized in that way) come around once every 10 years or so. I don't think some people realize how great Sproles was in college and how he was tailor made for that role. Sproles stats in college were crazy good... in 4 years he had 815 rushing attempts for 4,979 yards (6.1 ypc) and 45 tds, he also caught 66 balls for 609 yards and 2 td's. In the NFL he developed into such a mismatch for LB's.

Reddick by comparison in 4 years of college had 244 rushes for 1169 yards (4.8 ypc) and 5 tds, he also added 120 receptions for 1263 yards and 8 tds. He played WR for parts of those years that added to the receptions stats.

Theo Reddick ran a 4.68 forty time. Sproles ran a 4.45. Reddick is not going to duplicate Sproles. He is not going to amount to much of anything barring 2 injuries in front of him. He is and always will be a below average back up RB at best. He is not the mismatch that Sproles produced in that offense nor will he amount to much in fantasy football.

The issue isn't the value of Riddick per se. Barring injury it will be negligible in redraft.

The issue is that this year's likely usage of both Riddick and Leshoure will combine for enough touches to significantly reduce the value of J. Bell and R. Bush, therefore making the latter two overvalued at their current ADP's.

You can't duplicate Sproles ability in that offense. Sproles types of players (specialized in that way) come around once every 10 years or so. I don't think some people realize how great Sproles was in college and how he was tailor made for that role. Sproles stats in college were crazy good... in 4 years he had 815 rushing attempts for 4,979 yards (6.1 ypc) and 45 tds, he also caught 66 balls for 609 yards and 2 td's. In the NFL he developed into such a mismatch for LB's.

Reddick by comparison in 4 years of college had 244 rushes for 1169 yards (4.8 ypc) and 5 tds, he also added 120 receptions for 1263 yards and 8 tds. He played WR for parts of those years that added to the receptions stats.

Theo Reddick ran a 4.68 forty time. Sproles ran a 4.45. Reddick is not going to duplicate Sproles. He is not going to amount to much of anything barring 2 injuries in front of him. He is and always will be a below average back up RB at best. He is not the mismatch that Sproles produced in that offense nor will he amount to much in fantasy football.
It's speed that will be his problem. I picked him up on the positive reports but after watching him get caught constantly on his college tape I'm less optimistic of how high of a ceiling he has.

Not to derail the thread but what's even crazier when thinking about sproles' college career is that his lesser counter part Sproles-Lite Danny Woodhead had better measurements across the board than him in every category except for two. Woodhead went to Chadron though and not Kansas State. Would he have had the same crazy success if roles were reversed? Anyways back to Riddick, I like him and think he's definitely worth the stash. Leshoure is most likely gone next year and Reggie is going to hit his peak soon

http://nflcombineresults.com/playerpage.php?i=7261

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56345&draftyear=2008&genpos=RB

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread