What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There is NO QUESTION in my mind... (2 Viewers)

Raider Nation

Devil's Advocate
As much as I hate to say it (still bitter about Franco's non-catch), it's true.

Let me give you the latest example of why. I went out with a bunch of buddies last Sunday to golf in the morning, followed by some bar-hopping to watch the games at 1:00. First sports bar we went to, there was a group of Pats fans, a few Jets fans, Cowboys fans, Redskins fans, etc. Many teams had two or three fans. We look over to the main bar. The Seahawks/Steelers game is on the big screen near the bar, and there has to be about 15 Pittsburgh fans, each one in a Steelers jersey.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :) To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Oh, I should mention that I live in RHODE ISLAND.... it's not like I'm anywhere -near- PA.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :thumbup:

Let me give you the latest example of why. I went out with a bunch of buddies last Sunday to golf in the morning, followed by some bar-hopping to watch the games at 1:00. First sports bar we went to, there was a group of Pats fans, a few Jets fans, Cowboys fans, Redskins fans, etc. Many teams had two or three fans. We look over to the main bar. The Seahawks/Steelers game is on the big screen near the bar, and there has to be about 15 Pittsburgh fans, each one in a Steelers jersey.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :banned: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Oh, I should mention that I live in RHODE ISLAND.... it's not like I'm anywhere -near- PA.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :)
You should've seen the trolls in the Seahawks MBs after the game, most classless posters I've ever seen, far worse than anyone here. Big :thumbup: to them.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :banned: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :)
You should've seen the trolls in the Seahawks MBs after the game, most classless posters I've ever seen, far worse than anyone here. Big :thumbup: to them.
Yeah, but message boards by nature get a higher ratio of tools than the real world. Same with radio shows. Some Pittsburgh fan called Sirius NFL Radio a few days ago ripping into the "Seachickens"... saying stuff like "Are you going to say we didn't deserve to win this game too?" Referring of course to some questionable calls in the Super Bowl.But again, the "real life" Steeler fans with whom I've come into contact are nothing but classy and respectful.

IMO there are a lot of steeler bandwagon fans. If ... and when they go through a tough 5 year strech most will leave.
I guess you have issues with the Steelers, because this is simply not true. I see just as many Steelers fans out and about when they are going through a 6-10 season as I do when they are in the middle of a playoff run. The word "loyal" fits this fan base to a tee.

I think the volume is just residual popularity from the 70s. It's no coincidence the Cowboys, Steelers, and Raiders have the most fans. However, of those three teams the Steelers fans are easily the least annoying.

I have to agree with you. Living in Pittsburgh, I can tell you that "Hear We Go Steelers" chants can stir up just about any time of year at any public venue. I was at a concert in July and the crowd busted out the chant.....later this summer I was at a Pirates game and a "Here We Go Steelers" chant broke out in PNC Park.....great football town.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :rant: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :yucky:
You should've seen the trolls in the Seahawks MBs after the game, most classless posters I've ever seen, far worse than anyone here. Big :D to them.
Yeah, but message boards by nature get a higher ratio of tools than the real world. Same with radio shows. Some Pittsburgh fan called Sirius NFL Radio a few days ago ripping into the "Seachickens"... saying stuff like "Are you going to say we didn't deserve to win this game too?" Referring of course to some questionable calls in the Super Bowl.But again, the "real life" Steeler fans with whom I've come into contact are nothing but classy and respectful.
I used to go to Dublin's, on the Sunset Strip in Hollywood for games, great sports bar until they tore it down. Great breakfasts and tons of seating (ahem, Guiness, ahem). There was always a big corner of Steeler fans. They're just like any fans, some are cool some are trash. Living in SoCal I have a pretty negative opinion of Raider fans in general but like any other team, I know some cool ones. Raider/Charger fan fights were almost a given twice a year in SD bars, inclduing an infamous ear biting (pre-Tyson) assault.

IMO there are a lot of steeler bandwagon fans. If ... and when they go through a tough 5 year strech most will leave.
Unlikely. I assume you don't recall the Steelers of the 80's? They were lousy a lot of the time....and still one of the most successful in terms of merchandising/etc. Home games were always packed, regardless of record. Away games still looked like home games for the Steelers in a lot of stadiums. Every team gets some bandwagon fans if they go through a long low period and then start winning again, but the Steelers kept a LOT of their fans through a good ten year patch of not doing much in the 80's. The bandwagon quotient would have had to have been pretty low, else they'd have never had the attendence/etc. that they did dring that period.As for present day, how many true bandwagoners can there REALLY be for a team that's been in the playoffs pretty consistently for about 15 years? If anyone did jump on the bandwagon in 1992 and have stuck around ever since can't really be classified a bandwagoner after that length of time can they?You wanna talk bangwagoners, look no further than everyone's favorite team in the northeast. Never saw so many "25 year Patriot fans" come out of the woodwork until they won their 2nd SB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess you have issues with the Steelers, because this is simply not true. I see just as many Steelers fans out and about when they are going through a 6-10 season as I do when they are in the middle of a playoff run. The word "loyal" fits this fan base to a tee.
I don't have a problem with them. I think they are a classy organization. How many consecutive seasons have the Steelers finished under .500 since 1980? Both the 1985 and 1986 seasons were under .500 and the 1998 and 1999 seasons were under .500. With 7 seasons under .500 in the last 35 years. Give me Cardinal fans, Houston fans, Lions fans any day of the week. Its easy to be loyal if you have not suffered through painful losing seasons year after year. IMO Browns fans are 10x the fans Steeler fans are. I see these guys everywhere. Their teams get punished year after year and they continue to cheer them on. This is a fan. The reason they come out in such great numbers is directly related to the fact that they have had 28 winning seasons in the last 35 years. How many people ever remember them being bad?

I don't have a problem with them. I think they are a classy organization. How many consecutive seasons have the Steelers finished under .500 since 1980? Both the 1985 and 1986 seasons were under .500 and the 1998 and 1999 seasons were under .500. With 7 seasons under .500 in the last 35 years. Give me Cardinal fans, Houston fans, Lions fans any day of the week. Its easy to be loyal if you have not suffered through painful losing seasons year after year. IMO Browns fans are 10x the fans Steeler fans are. I see these guys everywhere. There teams get punished year after year and they continue to cheer them on. This is a fan. The reason they come out in such great numbers is directly related to the fact that they have had 28 winning seasons in the last 35 years. How many people ever remember them being bad?
So....you can only be a true fan if your team sucks all the time? :D

So....you can only be a true fan if your team sucks all the time? :D
I didn't say that. There are plenty of true steeler fans, just as there are for every NFL team. But there is a reason they have the number of fans they do. Its easier to be a fan of a team when they are good all the time.

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :shock: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :wall:
I agree with you here....every Steeler fan I've met are fiercely loyal and mostly pretty cool..Just a thought...did you ever think you run into so many of them out at bars because unless they have the Direct TV Sunday Ticket it's the only way they can see their team in RI? I'm sure if they were broadcasted locally you wouldn't see so many of them out there in hostile territory.

PatsFan23 said:
RAIDERNATION said:

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :shock: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :wall:
I agree with you here....every Steeler fan I've met are fiercely loyal and mostly pretty cool..Just a thought...did you ever think you run into so many of them out at bars because unless they have the Direct TV Sunday Ticket it's the only way they can see their team in RI? I'm sure if they were broadcasted locally you wouldn't see so many of them out there in hostile territory.
That doesn't explain why, in my entire life, I've never met a fan of:- Cincinnati

- Houston

- Arizona

- Tampa Bay

- Baltimore

- Cleveland

- Jacksonville

- Carolina

- Tennessee

- Detroit

Those fans can't see their team in R.I. either without DTV, yet I never see gear from any of those teams.

PatsFan23 said:
RAIDERNATION said:

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :mellow:
That doesn't explain why, in my entire life, I've never met a fan of:- Cincinnati

- Houston

- Arizona

- Tampa Bay

- Baltimore

- Cleveland

- Jacksonville

- Carolina

- Tennessee

- Detroit

Those fans can't see their team in R.I. either without DTV, yet I never see gear from any of those teams.
Well as a fan of a perennial loser (Saints), I can assure you that it doesn't feel good to wear your gear in public. You've probably seen fans of those teams but didn't know it because they have little to be proud of.

Well as a fan of a perennial loser (Saints), I can assure you that it doesn't feel good to wear your gear in public. You've probably seen fans of those teams but didn't know it because they have little to be proud of.
As a Seahawk fan I know how you feel....untill a couple of years ago times were tough

Lets face it.. Black & Yellow is just a nice combo. I'm sure they're all just wearing the jersies because they look nice =)

mad sweeney said:
RAIDERNATION said:

You should've seen the trolls in the Seahawks MBs after the game, most classless posters I've ever seen, far worse than anyone here. Big :mellow: to them.
For whatever it's worth at this point, a large portion of the Seahawk fans that hit the Steelers MBs after the SB were antagonizing, trollish crybabies and complete ##### as well. And even today on this board I've seen you talking about asterisks. :shock:

Agree. Always see Steeler fans out here.

On a side note, although we were outnumbered 30 to 5 Monday night, I was proud that Bills fans would still come out this season and support our team and the local sports bar.

i've lived in many different parts of the country. i spend sundays in sports bars. no matter where i go, one thing is constant............steelers fans.

i refer to them as the virus. it seems like every bar is a gathering place for steelers fans.

from my perspective, i'd agree. it seems like the steelers do have the best fans in the nfl, and it may not be close.

I'm from New Jersey and 6 of us went to Pittsburgh for the game this past weekend. My cousin is a Steelers fan but I am not. All weekend that's all anyone was talking about throughout the Pittsburgh area. The weather at the game was hot as hell but everyone was into that game. Waving their terrible towels and screaming their Steeler chant - these fans were really into it. I've been to other stadiums, not a lot maybe 5 or 6, these fans were the best I've seen. It did help that they were dominating the Seahawks. I also saw a Steelers game in New Orleans about 5 years ago. They also travel well - there were a lot of Steelers fans there. Of course New Orleans is a party town so that did help. But there were a lot more Steeler fans on Bourbon Street than Saints fans on Saturday night before the game.

I don't know if Steelers fans are the best but it is amusing to watch when the Steelers playing a road game and the Steelers players raising their arms for the fans to get louder while on defense.

I would agree, and I'm a 'Skins fan. They're certainly the best combination of devoted, ubiquitous, football knowledgeable and genuine. The only franchise that may even compare would be Green Bay, but the Steelers seem to outnumber them by a fair amount in my experience.

RAIDERNATION said:

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :) To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :cry:
:shrug: GO STEELERS!!!!!

The towel waving alone would disqualify them from being even decent fans, much less the best ones.

PatsFan23 said:
RAIDERNATION said:

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :mellow: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :unsure:

- Houston

- Arizona

- Tampa Bay

- Baltimore

- Cleveland

- Jacksonville

- Carolina

- Tennessee

- Detroit

Tampa Bay and Baltimore both have Super Bowl victories (Baltimore's was actually in Tampa). Plenty to be proud of there. None of the other teams have a SB, nor do the Saints. But a few of those have at least been to one. I think Tennessee fans have plenty to be proud of.

Here's the deal. I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but from what I've gathered, I think I know a few reasons why Steeler fans travel so well.

I just graduated from Penn St and am in Pittsburgh for now (and am born and raised here) and aside from college have lived here my whole life, but im going to grad school in march elsewhere and plan on never living in PGH again.

1) Pittsburgh Sucks

2) Unless you're 50, Pittsburgh Sucks

I have no plans on living in the 'Burgh' for the rest of my life, but I will never be anythin but a Pittsburgh fan. I'd almost feel like a Cherokee becoming a Mohican if I was no longer a Steeler fan. Simply, It's not gonna happen.

I think this is the key. Sooo many ppl are born in this area and have the same feelings as me. You can't betray a team so loyal and great as the Steelers, which is why they have so many fans. And its not even 'that' loyalty, it's the loyalty of your parents and grandparents that create the Steeler fan in you.

There are a near infinite amount of people born in Pittsburgh, but only a small %age remain. Those who leave, almost always rep the Steelers. Why? BECAUSE ITS A STEELER NATION!!!

"They're a link to those who left, and never forgot where they came from"

I travel a lot for business and typically return on Friday afternoons. It never fails in every airport I'm in around the country there are guys in full Steeler gear flying to Pitt or to a road game. I have NEVER seen another NFL team so well represented nor as vocal. It's as close as I've ever seen to the Soccer fans in Europe, but those guys are the most fanatical in any sport anywhere.

living in nc now and went to the game last december and it is a great feeling to see more than half the stadium chanting HERE WE GO STEELERS HERE WE GO. even tha panther fans around me were like, wow this is screwed up. more steeler fans than us.

I was 6 when they won their first Super Bowl and I have been a Steelers fan ever since. I grew up in Northeastern Ohio where everyone was Cleveland Browns fans (including my father, brothers, etc.) I have had a Steelers tattoo on my arm for the last 15 years and have always been a proud fan. My trips to Three Rivers and Heinz Field have always been found with seeing maybe less than 100 people not wearing Steelers merch. Cliff Stoudt, David Woodley are just a few of the knuckleheads the Pitt faithful have had to endure. I live in the new bandwagon area "NE" and they all want to say how great they are, but you find many of them are old converted Giants fans since the old days weren't so good. Maybe one of the reasons Pitt have only had 7 losing seasons in the last 35 is having 2 head coaches and solid family ownership throughout those years. Stability in coaching and ownership can go along way and loyal people tend to build strong fan bases. Go Pitt!

Here's the deal. I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but from what I've gathered, I think I know a few reasons why Steeler fans travel so well.

I just graduated from Penn St and am in Pittsburgh for now (and am born and raised here) and aside from college have lived here my whole life, but im going to grad school in march elsewhere and plan on never living in PGH again.

1) Pittsburgh Sucks

I have no plans on living in the 'Burgh' for the rest of my life, but I will never be anythin but a Pittsburgh fan. I'd almost feel like a Cherokee becoming a Mohican if I was no longer a Steeler fan. Simply, It's not gonna happen.

I think this is the key. Sooo many ppl are born in this area and have the same feelings as me. You can't betray a team so loyal and great as the Steelers, which is why they have so many fans. And its not even 'that' loyalty, it's the loyalty of your parents and grandparents that create the Steeler fan in you.

There are a near infinite amount of people born in Pittsburgh, but only a small %age remain. Those who leave, almost always rep the Steelers. Why? BECAUSE ITS A STEELER NATION!!!

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you might want to get a little older and travel a bit more before you come to any conclusions. I have been to every major city in the US and I can tell you that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know what you are looking for but you might find that once you move somewhere else that Pittsburgh doesn't suck as bad as you thought. Pittsburgh has a lot of things going for it, is consistently ranked in the top livable cities in the US, and is a great place to raise a family.

As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion -- I love Pittsburgh and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.

1) Pittsburgh Sucks

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you might want to get a little older and travel a bit more before you come to any conclusions. I have been to every major city in the US and I can tell you that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know what you are looking for but you might find that once you move somewhere else that Pittsburgh doesn't suck as bad as you thought. Pittsburgh has a lot of things going for it, is consistently ranked in the top livable cities in the US, and is a great place to raise a family.

As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion -- I love Pittsburgh and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
GB - when I say PGH sucks, I'm overstating many things and considering other things in a vacuum. And for one, I decided to live here an extra 9 months or so because I do in fact enjoy living here, and believe it's the last extended time I will have living in the area.I love the area and simply stated, I've been here long enough to know what it's about. Without changing the topic, I do want to go other places and I plan on doing it. I just don't want to remain in PGH the rest of my life. I agree with what you say (good place to raise a fam, very liveable), but I'm simply a fan of warm weather and plan on going into chiropractic and just feel like PGH isn't the place for me to be happiest or most successfull.

I will be forever grateful that I was born in the burgh and will always be a Stiller fan, but I for one cannot picture myself here my whole life. I have some friends who I know are on the same boat as me, and others who'll stay in the city for there entire life. And as a Pittsburgher, I think thats pretty much how it goes, which is what I was trying to say in my OP as to why us Stiller fans travel so well

mad sweeney said:
RAIDERNATION said:

At halftime we take a road trip to another sports bar about ten miles away which just opened a couple of months ago with plasma screens everywhere. Been dying to check it out. We walk in... same scene. There was a group of what had to be nearly 20 Steelers fans. :bag: To contrast this, it's a shock if I go anywhere and there is another Raiders fan in the whole joint.

Props where they are due. The Black & Gold have loyal, knowledgeable, and for the most part, respectful fans. :lmao:
You should've seen the trolls in the Seahawks MBs after the game, most classless posters I've ever seen, far worse than anyone here. Big :confused: to them.
Kinda like you on this thread. Good job guy. :bag:

mad sweeney said:
You should've seen the trolls in the Seahawks MBs after the game, most classless posters I've ever seen, far worse than anyone here. Big :confused: to them.
For whatever it's worth at this point, a large portion of the Seahawk fans that hit the Steelers MBs after the SB were antagonizing, trollish crybabies and complete ##### as well. And even today on this board I've seen you talking about asterisks. :lmao:
Thanks from an antagonized Pats fan.On topic, I think it's a GIVEN that the Steelers fans are the "best" in terms of both local and national visibility, and always find it funny when fans of other teams try to argue the counterpoint.

1) Pittsburgh Sucks

I was going to say the same thing. Once this guy grows up a little bit and starts to consider raising a family, his opinion will change and he will be glad to be back home. I went through the same phase.

Users who are viewing this thread