What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

There is NO QUESTION in my mind... (1 Viewer)

poopdawg said:
RAIDERNATION said:
Enforcer said:
These broad generalization threads are just super. :rolleyes: I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any "better" than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too. HTH.
And yet, you clicked on the thread.I love irony.
Raidernation, let me start by saying :mellow: It takes alot for a fan of another team to say all of this. Secondly, I am proud to be a Pitt fan (of all teams - I live in Harrisburg, PA). I was brought up on the Steelers and the rest fell into place. I think it all stems from the working class attitude in Pitt. I'll never forget the last time I was at Heinz field to watch a game. The Steelers played the Skins. There were a few Washington fans in our area and it was a good game. But instead of chucking batteries at them and shouting obscenities at their mothers, we were high fiving them and having a good time. I think the biggest reason that Pitt fans are the best is that we give a certain degree of respect, wherever we go. From reading about 90% of the posts from fans of other teams in this thread, I think they agree.
So why are Philly fans so rude when both teams are in Pennsylvania.

All kidding aside, I think this is pretty easy to explain.

1) They've been the best team from the region for years. They've pretty much have owned PA all the way east to a stone's throw of Philly. I suspect that many Iggles fans have the Steelers as their AFC team.

2) PA absolutely sucks during the winter. It's cold and gray, you leave for work in the dark, you dome home in the dark. What else is there to look forward to in winter?

3) High school football is huge in that area breeding generations of football fans.

4) The local college teams Suxor! In the south much of the fan base is traveling to their favorite college team's game.

5) The success in the 70s was a key. Those fans have passed their loyalities on to their kids which just expands the base. Pitt was also a blue collar team which was the orignal core of the NFL fan base.

Here's the deal. I'm not surprised that no one has mentioned this yet, but from what I've gathered, I think I know a few reasons why Steeler fans travel so well.

I just graduated from Penn St and am in Pittsburgh for now (and am born and raised here) and aside from college have lived here my whole life, but im going to grad school in march elsewhere and plan on never living in PGH again.

1) Pittsburgh Sucks

2) Unless you're 50, Pittsburgh Sucks

I have no plans on living in the 'Burgh' for the rest of my life, but I will never be anythin but a Pittsburgh fan. I'd almost feel like a Cherokee becoming a Mohican if I was no longer a Steeler fan. Simply, It's not gonna happen.

I think this is the key. Sooo many ppl are born in this area and have the same feelings as me. You can't betray a team so loyal and great as the Steelers, which is why they have so many fans. And its not even 'that' loyalty, it's the loyalty of your parents and grandparents that create the Steeler fan in you.

There are a near infinite amount of people born in Pittsburgh, but only a small %age remain. Those who leave, almost always rep the Steelers. Why? BECAUSE ITS A STEELER NATION!!!

"They're a link to those who left, and never forgot where they came from"
Everyone is entitled to an opinion but you might want to get a little older and travel a bit more before you come to any conclusions. I have been to every major city in the US and I can tell you that they all have their strengths and weaknesses. I don't know what you are looking for but you might find that once you move somewhere else that Pittsburgh doesn't suck as bad as you thought. Pittsburgh has a lot of things going for it, is consistently ranked in the top livable cities in the US, and is a great place to raise a family.

As I said everyone is entitled to their opinion -- I love Pittsburgh and wouldn't want to live anywhere else.
:goodposting:

As any graduate of Penn State (main campus) knows, Philly and Pittsburgh are like night and day. Scranton/Wilkes Barre has its own flavor. So does the Erie/Edinboro area. State College/University Park is a melting pot - but most come from near Pittsburgh (about 1/3); Philly (about 1/3); and (Jersey/New York and the remainder of the world the other 1/3).

Unlike states likes Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska ... etc. - which are all pretty homogenized (i.e., standardized). Pennsylvania has stark differences in the character of their citizens - much diversity.

The extremes start with:

(1) the Amish (i.e.., Pennsylvania Dutch) where whole towns build barns for a neighbor and ride buggies;

(2) then you have Pittsburgh - a working class city that shifted gears from blue collar to high tech ... a place with class and homes with signs hung on walls that say "Welcome Friends" - much like being the eastern edge of the midwest; and

(3) Philly is epitome of east coast bitterness, acrimony, venom, selfishness, spite........similar to New York City folk but more insecure - and similar to many Bostonians .... but with less intellect.

As one from Western PA who spent 4 years at PSU and 18 years prior growing up in PA - I saw the stark differences in Pittsburgh and Philly folk. Anyone who has experienced the difference will tell a similar story.

Moving on, I've lived in San Diego for the better part of the last 18 years. REPEATEDLY, Charger players have complained that in the San Diego Union Trib that home games against the Steelers seem like AWAY games. SD WR Anthony Miller was the first of many I noticed to ##### about it - and he and I talked about it at the Pacific Princess Resort over a few beers.

I've been there for the number that have taken place at The Murph/now known as the Q. Steeler Nation takes over the tailgates and the rest. It's epic. All the Bolts backers trip out when their own turf gets "eminent domained" by the 'Burgh.

Also , near the beginning of this thread - I noticed a fellow San Diegan mention an ear-biting event pre-Tyson/Holyfield involving the Raiders/Chargers rivalry. Unless this lunacy is more common than I'm aware of, I have a very good idea I know exactly what event he was talking about. In the early 90's at a sports bar known as "First Round Draft" located in the Ocean Beach area of San Diego - a Raider fan bit off a Charger fan's ear.

Good to be passionate about one's team - but go easy the ear chomping.

Lastly, the reason Pittsburgh supports the Steelers is a simple derivative of the fact it's a FOOTBALL TOWN. A city like St. Louis or Boston are baseball towns. That is where their true passion lies. Kentucky and Indiana love college hoop. Nebraska loves college football. Some regions are gung ho over NASCAR. But Dallas, Houston and the entire state of Texas - and Miami and the entire state of Florida are into FOOTBALL. Pennsylvania is the same way. It's a FOOTBALL state. If the Pirate or Penguins fare well, we get jazzed - but it's all about FOOTBALL.

Respectfully, :hifive:

Pittsburgh has the most fans. Not necessarily the best. I'll admit the fans are a lot better than most other teams' fans though.

Right, because if Pitt was 0-4 they'd still pack the house against an opponent that was going to obviously beat down their team on prime time TV.

Top fans in the NFL IMO:

Buffalo

Green Bay

then the rest

As any graduate of Penn State (main campus) knows, Philly and Pittsburgh are like night and day. Scranton/Wilkes Barre has its own flavor. So does the Erie/Edinboro area. State College/University Park is a melting pot - but most come from near Pittsburgh (about 1/3); Philly (about 1/3); and (Jersey/New York and the remainder of the world the other 1/3).

Unlike states likes Kansas, Iowa and Nebraska ... etc. - which are all pretty homogenized (i.e., standardized). Pennsylvania has stark differences in the character of their citizens - much diversity.

The extremes start with:

(1) the Amish (i.e.., Pennsylvania Dutch) where whole towns build barns for a neighbor and ride buggies;

(2) then you have Pittsburgh - a working class city that shifted gears from blue collar to high tech ... a place with class and homes with signs hung on walls that say "Welcome Friends" - much like being the eastern edge of the midwest; and

(3) Philly is epitome of east coast bitterness, acrimony, venom, selfishness, spite........similar to New York City folk but more insecure - and similar to many Bostonians .... but with less intellect.

As one from Western PA who spent 4 years at PSU and 18 years prior growing up in PA - I saw the stark differences in Pittsburgh and Philly folk. Anyone who has experienced the difference will tell a similar story.

Moving on, I've lived in San Diego for the better part of the last 18 years. REPEATEDLY, Charger players have complained that in the San Diego Union Trib that home games against the Steelers seem like AWAY games. SD WR Anthony Miller was the first of many I noticed to ##### about it - and he and I talked about it at the Pacific Princess Resort over a few beers.

I've been there for the number that have taken place at The Murph/now known as the Q. Steeler Nation takes over the tailgates and the rest. It's epic. All the Bolts backers trip out when their own turf gets "eminent domained" by the 'Burgh.

Also , near the beginning of this thread - I noticed a fellow San Diegan mention an ear-biting event pre-Tyson/Holyfield involving the Raiders/Chargers rivalry. Unless this lunacy is more common than I'm aware of, I have a very good idea I know exactly what event he was talking about. In the early 90's at a sports bar known as "First Round Draft" located in the Ocean Beach area of San Diego - a Raider fan bit off a Charger fan's ear.

Lastly, the reason Pittsburgh supports the Steelers is a simple derivative of the fact it's a FOOTBALL TOWN. A city like St. Louis or Boston are baseball towns. That is where their true passion lies. Kentucky and Indiana love college hoop. Nebraska loves college football. Some regions are gung ho over NASCAR. But Dallas, Houston and the entire state of Texas - and Miami and the entire state of Florida are into FOOTBALL. Pennsylvania is the same way. It's a FOOTBALL state. If the Pirate or Penguins fare well, we get jazzed - but it's all about FOOTBALL.

Respectfully, ;)
I've never lived in PA, but have visited both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.In Philadelphia the people were really great, warm, welcoming, friendly.

In Pittsburgh, well not so much. Pretty unfriendly, bordering on arrogant.

That's just my experience.

The extremes start with:

Respectfully, :thumbup:
I've never lived in PA, but have visited both Pittsburgh and Philadelphia.In Philadelphia the people were really great, warm, welcoming, friendly.

I hear ya boss, but your sample size seems rather anecdotal in comparison to 22 years living in the state of PA - with 4 years of experience with Philly v. Western PA people in both Western PA and Philly.

Additional evidence of the difference can be seen in how Philly fan is perceived versus Steeler fan. Lots of people make a big deal about how Philly fan "even booed Santa Claus." The list of classless acts of Philly fan is seemingly endless, and whether you are a fan of ex-DAL HOFer Mike Irvin (like I am) or he turns you off ------ it's pretty piss-poor to have an entire stadium exuberantly cheering the thought he might be paralyzed for life.

And oh yeah, Philly's stadium uniquely has it's own Judge and Jail.

If you want any more evidence, think of everything you know about Philly fan - and then re-read the 250 posts or so in this thread.

RAIDERNATION said:
Enforcer said:
These broad generalization threads are just super. :thumbup: I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any "better" than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too. HTH.
Irony? I clicked on the thread to comment on how absurd I think it is. You're saying there is NO QUESTION in your mind when trying to evaluate something that has no chance of being evaluated objectively. The metric to analyze the situation doesn't exist. If you disagree, then you disagree. If "you clicked on the thread" is the best argument you have it sounds like you're throwing in the towel because you can't make a rational argument to support your case. I guess I shouldn't expect anything better than that from an anonymous internet entity. If you want to make case I'm willing to listen, but basing it on anecdotal evidence won't sway me in any way.

The extremes start with:

Respectfully, :thumbdown:

I hear ya boss, but your sample size seems rather anecdotal in comparison to 22 years living in the state of PA - with 4 years of experience with Philly v. Western PA people in both Western PA and Philly.

Additional evidence of the difference can be seen in how Philly fan is perceived versus Steeler fan. Lots of people make a big deal about how Philly fan "even booed Santa Claus." The list of classless acts of Philly fan is seemingly endless, and whether you are a fan of ex-DAL HOFer Mike Irvin (like I am) or he turns you off ------ it's pretty piss-poor to have an entire stadium exuberantly cheering the thought he might be paralyzed for life.

And oh yeah, Philly's stadium uniquely has it's own Judge and Jail.

If you want any more evidence, think of everything you know about Philly fan - and then re-read the 250 posts or so in this thread.
Seriously? One of my good friends is from Philly and lives here now. Every time the Eagles play the Steelers, a group of his friends comes in. They have remarked many times that Heinz Field must be the best place for opposing fans to come, as they are treated well. He said when Giants fans come to the Linc, they are abused, sometimes physically assaulted and the same goes for Eagles fans traveling to a Giants game. He said it's a completely different atmosphere from Heinz Field and it never ceases to amaze him.

RAIDERNATION said:
Enforcer said:
These broad generalization threads are just super. :thumbup:

I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any "better" than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too. HTH.
Irony? I clicked on the thread to comment on how absurd I think it is. You're saying there is NO QUESTION in your mind when trying to evaluate something that has no chance of being evaluated objectively. The metric to analyze the situation doesn't exist. If you disagree, then you disagree. If "you clicked on the thread" is the best argument you have it sounds like you're throwing in the towel because you can't make a rational argument to support your case. I guess I shouldn't expect anything better than that from an anonymous internet entity. If you want to make case I'm willing to listen, but basing it on anecdotal evidence won't sway me in any way.
You want a logic-based argument, chief? Let's rock. Clearly, he has evaluated a situation objectively - and drawn a firm conclusion, and stated as much....even provided devoted Steeler Nation websites from across the pond.

Your first retort was, "I can't fathom how anyone would think that a giant group of people is any 'better' than another giant group of people. What a waste of brain cells. Further, picking sides when one group of idiots is yelling at another group of idiots makes you an idiot too."

Your initial paraphrasing is absurd - as was your labeling of him as an "idiot."

"Better" group of people is not the point - even an idiot should've read through that.

Simply put, the devotion of Steeler Nation in terms of widespread support is clearly in a league of its own. NFL Films has confirmed the accuracy of his assessment when it produced a lengthy piece verifying precisely his initial positionits own in terms of global support. Check this out:

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...eoid=1527321414

Clearly, his point has been validated - yet you have proven yourself to be bitter and unable to comprehend what is obvious to 90% of the posters in this thread. Sounds like you might be the guy who need look no further than the closest mirror to find an idiot.

Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread