What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things Boomers Like (3 Viewers)

A lot of boomers were able to support a family without a degree.  A lot of young people are getting garbage degrees and working in jobs that don’t pay squat and they’re in deep debt paying for those garbage degrees.  Most people in my generation that did go to college, actually made a good living from their degree.  It’s hard to make a living with a degree in gender studies or its equivalent.
Extrapolating from a few anecdotal examples and claiming to have the solution to a complex problem all while ignoring actual data. 

I think there is a shift from anecdotal/real life experience to data-informed opinions between the boomers and millennials though. 

I think because millennials grew up being able to look up/research things. But boomers tend to rely on their experience and ideology and seem to disregard research data more when forming opinions. 

I think there is a shift from anecdotal/real life experience to data-informed opinions between the boomers and millennials though. 

I think because millennials grew up being able to look up/research things. But boomers tend to rely on their experience and ideology and seem to disregard research data more when forming opinions. 
I think this actually works both ways.  Because even with the ability to research everything using our phones now, a lot of misinformation is out there and believed.  Young people tend to believe things just because they read it while Boomers are more skeptical.

I think this actually works both ways.  Because even with the ability to research everything using our phones now, a lot of misinformation is out there and believed.  Young people tend to believe things just because they read it while Boomers are more skeptical.
I strongly disagree. I think millennials have a much better radar for false narratives online. A lot of the misinformation on social media is/was amplified by people over 50. 

I strongly disagree. I think millennials have a much better radar for false narratives online. A lot of the misinformation on social media is/was amplified by people over 50. 
What is this misinformation you speak of?  And how is it more than people under 30?  I read that article posted by MAC_32 and I didn't see any examples of this misinformation.  Maybe I glazed over it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tests have shown that younger people are much better at detecting misinformation than older people. Sheik is wrong but he is echoing something that is widely believed to be true, so he has a little bit of an excuse.

Tests have shown that younger people are much better at detecting misinformation than older people. Sheik is wrong but he is echoing something that is widely believed to be true, so he has a little bit of an excuse.
I get what you're saying, but I'm not talking about news.  I was talking more about facts.  And I could still be wrong, but I just wanted to point out I wasn't talking about politics or news articles on social media.  

I get what you're saying, but I'm not talking about news.  I was talking more about facts.  And I could still be wrong, but I just wanted to point out I wasn't talking about politics or news articles on social media.  
I don't follow. Why wouldn't the same skepticism that exists in politics and news carry forward to all subjects? Can't say I've ever read anything related to this, so if you have something please share. Boomers have a preconceived bias they've developed over the course of their lives. Skepticism kicks in when they read something they didn't previously agree with. It doesn't when they read something they already agreed with though. Millennials are still developing their biases. I hope that question everything mentality doesn't go away with age, but history has this thing of repeating itself.

being the last generation comfortable with power

I'll bite, can you unpack this? Power as in world domination or power as in lets split the atom and light this puppy up?
no, it's about feminization. just as race is my most important political issue yet i rarely discuss it around here because it's stoopit  to do so in a forum almost entirely populated by white men, i find gender politics to be much more currently ridiculous but this just aint the place. making ourselves ever more hesitant and equivocal by the way we "share" power is by far the most ruinous issue in this society and it's not even being mentioned, so i decided upon a passive-aggressive leak here as my way of dyllin'

no, it's about feminization. just as race is my most important political issue yet i rarely discuss it around here because it's stoopit  to do so in a forum almost entirely populated by white men, i find gender politics to be much more currently ridiculous but this just aint the place. making ourselves ever more hesitant and equivocal by the way we "share" power is by far the most ruinous issue in this society and it's not even being mentioned, so i decided upon a passive-aggressive leak here as my way of dyllin'
Yep, woulda never guessed that one. Interesting thought. I would say the women that have been trotted out before over the last few years really make me scratch my head as to why them? But then you could say that about the 2016 election as well. I was embarrassed for the US that those were the two best representatives we could come up. Reapin' & sowin' now

Yep, woulda never guessed that one. Interesting thought. I would say the women that have been trotted out before over the last few years really make me scratch my head as to why them? But then you could say that about the 2016 election as well. I was embarrassed for the US that those were the two best representatives we could come up. Reapin' & sowin' now
it's a political issue, to be sure, but i was talking more about personal power. 

And, when the Boomers were old enough, and/or possibly, retired, why did those Boomers vote to take away pensions from the younger citizenry? Boomers voted in the anti-union people later in their lives and we are at where we are at. So, what is wrong with unions and pensions?
Not Boomers. CEO's who wanted to pad the stock holders return and their salaries. Don't label an entire generation for the greed of a few. 

rustycolts said:
Wages were a lot different for us 40 years ago especially for folks without an education or a skill.  Try paying a mortgage payment on $5.00 an hour that has a 13% interest rate.  A lot of us had to work 2 or even 3 jobs.  Personally I think every generation has their own challenges.  You just have to work hard to overcome them.
I disagree with this one a lot. People work hard all the time just to end up at square 1 again. Cost of living has gone up and companies are making more while paying employees less. In some career paths if you want to be promoted you either need to know people or be a great bootlicker to the cause. Johnny B at the Fortune 500 Company isn't getting a promotion because he simple got the most deals done anymore. They want to keep cost down not up and get more money in their pockets and tax breaks. Let me put it this way my Retail company a pretty big one overall across the US the budget guy in my region thought we'd make $20M last qtr. We barely got $5M. So now what does that mean? Less hours of labor for many that aren't full timers. Meanwhile they are hiring all these new to keep higher wage earners hrs down. This also means the company isn't looking to promote anyone full time. I went from working 28-32 hrs a week to barely scratching 20. My shifts on Tuesday and Thurs usually started at 10-11 now start at noon or later so I'm still working late but coming in later. My union for benefits you have to work an avg of 20Hrs per month. Some part timers are just getting 20. 

This whole work hard and overcome them may have worked with the boomer generation but it's such bull#### when it comes to mine. We aren't lazy and I have friends who are teachers underpaid getting 2nd jobs either in the summer or doing jobs like part time bartending or waiting tables to make ends meet and this is with a spouse involved. The boomers ####ed the whole economy up but as usually rather then taking responsibility for their actions would rather blame it on the younger generations who they label as "entitled, lazy, thin skinned brats." 

A lot of boomers were able to support a family without a degree.  A lot of young people are getting garbage degrees and working in jobs that don’t pay squat and they’re in deep debt paying for those garbage degrees.  Most people in my generation that did go to college, actually made a good living from their degree.  It’s hard to make a living with a degree in gender studies or its equivalent.
Thats if you can afford to go to college. Also companies are asking for way too many degrees in simple task jobs that you only need a general degree for. Some people barely get by doing general studies let alone then taking time to get another degree. The education system in the last 30 yrs has also been dumb down to try to keep people less intelligent. Remember Jefferson's theory an educated Citizen is a dangerous one 

Not Boomers. CEO's who wanted to pad the stock holders return and their salaries. Don't label an entire generation for the greed of a few. 
Boomers invested in those companies. Boomers loved the return. Boomers voted in people that would allow large returns to keep rolling in. Prices go up because of all the great returns. X’ers, Millenials, Gen Next, are born to high prices / low wages, due to Boomers voting for those things to occur. Those generations are pissed because Boomers think life is just as easy for those who came after them. Boomers look at others and label others as lazy, and (fill in the blank). 

Boomers, as a whole aren’t to blame, however, all Boomers do share culpability as to the state of the union as it sits today. 

Not sure if you want to called it pigheaded or ignorance but a lot of boomers like to disregard research data over what they knew previously. This is true in business and sports. Most of the younger generation like the advanced metric stats like saber metrics and other advanced data while boomers will disregard that and go to team dependent stats like RBIs and Win/Loss record by a pitcher. Many are against replay review as well. 

As for education most older business' fail because they aren't taking new research data and models into account for todays society. This isn't to say they can't exist but they will have trouble expanding. Then you can get into the sciences of climate change and other things they can dismiss

I will say for his age my Pop-Pop who I was really close to was always trying to keep up to date on latest fashion trends in his business (Insurance) and technological advances. Given my oldest cousin is 34 and our youngest at the time just graduated college my Pop-Pop was the first in the family to get a kindle and IPAD. So its not to say all older people will dismiss research data. 

The younger generation knows whats BS and whats not as they know which websites are more legit compared to others that are just giving misinformation. You can even research most sites to see how legit they really are as well. These days with reedit they seem to have a thread or topic on everything. I found one research a YouTuber podcast so it's literally got everything right there too. 

Don't take this as an insult but Are you Black or are you just saying with such few minorities on this forum its almost impossible to discuss race here?

Boomers invested in those companies. Boomers loved the return. Boomers voted in people that would allow large returns to keep rolling in. Prices go up because of all the great returns. X’ers, Millenials, Gen Next, are born to high prices / low wages, due to Boomers voting for those things to occur. Those generations are pissed because Boomers think life is just as easy for those who came after them. Boomers look at others and label others as lazy, and (fill in the blank). 

Boomers, as a whole aren’t to blame, however, all Boomers do share culpability as to the state of the union as it sits today. 
Boomers also care more about Stocks where the group above that's bolded knows the stock market is a complete joke and it only matters to people on Wall Street and those with large amounts of stocks invested in companies. Avg Joe and Cindy could not give a #### if the stock market collapsed. Just another fear tactic used to keep the rich rich. 

Boomers also care more about Stocks where the group above that's bolded knows the stock market is a complete joke and it only matters to people on Wall Street and those with large amounts of stocks invested in companies. Avg Joe and Cindy could not give a #### if the stock market collapsed. Just another fear tactic used to keep the rich rich. 
Interesting take. I don’t agree with it however I can understand why those generations might conclude what you do above. Another interesting question may be, “What would business/our country look like if the Stock Market didn’t exist?” The origins and why it began might tell that story. 

the latter. not impossible, just ridiculous
Ok because I became friends with a poster on my old Forum who was originally from Chicago and lives in Georgia now who was black and always brought up the race thing because he deals with it first hand daily. So thats why I asked 

Interesting take. I don’t agree with it however I can understand why those generations might conclude what you do above. Another interesting question may be, “What would business/our country look like if the Stock Market didn’t exist?” The origins and why it began might tell that story. 
I have little issue with the stock market other then I really don't care because in order to be successful with it you need to have a ton of money. A guy I listen to podcast wise bought WWE stock when it was $10 maybe about 20 of them or so given some extra money he had and decadent to invest in it as it was dirt cheap. Since then over the years he's sold all but 2 and the stock is at $75 now for the company or so. Granted he isn't making a lot of money off of it but it's still something. Its not like the person who maybe bought 1K in stock at the 10 price and then sold it all at $75 or so either. The point is many can't afford to get into the stocks so it's kind of useless. I'm all for taking Wall Street and the Stock Market out of politics though which could IMHO help a great deal 

Not sure if you want to called it pigheaded or ignorance but a lot of boomers like to disregard research data over what they knew previously. This is true in business and sports. Most of the younger generation like the advanced metric stats like saber metrics and other advanced data while boomers will disregard that and go to team dependent stats like RBIs and Win/Loss record by a pitcher. Many are against replay review as well. 

As for education most older business' fail because they aren't taking new research data and models into account for todays society. This isn't to say they can't exist but they will have trouble expanding. Then you can get into the sciences of climate change and other things they can dismiss

I will say for his age my Pop-Pop who I was really close to was always trying to keep up to date on latest fashion trends in his business (Insurance) and technological advances. Given my oldest cousin is 34 and our youngest at the time just graduated college my Pop-Pop was the first in the family to get a kindle and IPAD. So its not to say all older people will dismiss research data. 

The younger generation knows whats BS and whats not as they know which websites are more legit compared to others that are just giving misinformation. You can even research most sites to see how legit they really are as well. These days with reedit they seem to have a thread or topic on everything. I found one research a YouTuber podcast so it's literally got everything right there too. 
These two arguments work against each other.  While I agree that the younger generations prefer saber metrics over old school eye test, the vast majority don't understand the math behind the newer metrics, and just parrot it because they have been told they are improvements.  But, their willingness to attach on to a new way to measure something without understanding the exact math behind it doesn't support the idea that they have a better BS meter.

So you really don't know how companies, particularly public companies work. Got it.

Blaming all of anything is ridiculous. Own your problems and do what you can to fix them or accept them and move on. Whining about the world you inherited just confirms the stereotype.

By the way. The company I work for has a pension and yet run almost entirely by boomers. So much for all. 

Chit-chatting with the help at Home Depot or Lowe's:

Boomer:  Excuse me...I'm looking for this but 3/4".

Apron guy:  Sure, right over here.

10 minutes later

Boomer:..so then in '97 we moved into the new place and, get this, the front yard was all Rainbird but the back yard was Toro.  I'll tell you what...

Maybe it’s nostalgia factor but if one  was a white male, it sure seems like the boomers had it pretty well. Caught the free sex era before AIDs, the 70s looked like a drug infused decade long  party, the 80s and 90s brought in great prosperity and all before litigation and CYA ruined a lot of jobs. 

Chit-chatting with the help at Home Depot or Lowe's:

Boomer:  Excuse me...I'm looking for this but 3/4".

Apron guy:  Sure, right over here.

10 minutes later

Boomer:..so then in '97 we moved into the new place and, get this, the front yard was all Rainbird but the back yard was Toro.  I'll tell you what...
this is a white American people thing

my neighbor is 60s'ish. when that dude sees me outside i know i'm locked in to 30 minutes of him rambling from one story to another... before he wraps it all up in a bow back to his original point.

in a way it's astonishing how he never loses sight of the original point and the narrative that follows actually works together even if it's completely unnecessary filler.  but he's a sales guy so i know he can't help himself anymore, it's in his DNA now.

@DJackson10 Hey I wasn't trying to say millennials were lazy.  In my experience just the opposite.  I worked in the same industry as you.  I was a Produce manager and I hired mostly young folks and I have to say I never really had any problems with productivity especially after I started making them leave their cell phones in their lockers.  The grocery industry is notorious for using as many part timers as possible.  Some companies are better than others.  Publix is one company I would definitely recommend for someone working in retail grocery.  They will probably never make it up North because of unions,  but if you were ever to move a little further South say Virginia for instance it is a company you could have a great future with.

Oh and Vanguard Mutual funds are a good way to get into the stock market.  You can get into a fund with as little as $100.

Users who are viewing this thread