What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you'll pay more for if it's quality. (1 Viewer)

• Fishing gear - shocked I saw some others post that. Shimano reels never fail me...doesn't even have to be expensive Stradic reels - just a basic Sedona is better than most anything else out there. Same with rods - Loyal to St. Croix and Star, but honestly for the kids the old Ugly Stick works great.

Listing a Stradic as an expensive reel :oldunsure:

I'm an in-shore spinning reel guy - 2500 - 4000 size, so in that class - yes. It's relatively more expensive than most of what Shimano makes shy of the Stella's and the Twin Powers and I guess the Vanford, which is really just the new Stradic. My point is I'll take a Shimano over most anything else. I'm sure some Penn lovers will disagree, but I've never been impressed.

I would highly recommend the daiwa bg it is the best reel that is cheaper than the Saragossa in my opinion.

I have penn, daiwa, and Shimano reels. I agree that Shimano is better than penn when it comes to spinners. Before I used a ton of salt water reels I bought 3 penn spinfishers, and while they are alright. I wish I would have went a different direction.

Edit, really look hard at the diawa bg for your next reel. They are awesome, so good I had to say it twice.

yeah this take is a bit ridiculous tbh, the ole nostalgic things were better when i was a kid take.

I don’t think so at all, especially fixtures and appliances. Tons of older people I trust hate modern refrigerators and washers/dryers. Whether because of regulations or cutting cost or whatever, there’s an entire industry of goods that people consider inferior today without any bias from “good old days,” but rather a fair lament about the state of certain products today.
Dishwashers are the worst. You basically have to wash the dishes before you put them in there. We make sure to open the dishwasher up and shake everything and leave it open overnight so it can be dry in the morning.

You know what I have noticed recently disintegrate like nothing. Screws. I was replacing door hardware and the little screws were a tad bit longer than the previous screws. As soon as they hit fresh wood and not the previously threaded hole it was like lunch for my bit.

Been seeing that for all sorts of stuff.

Caulk is now staring to come in 9ounce tubes. Not 10.1 which was the standard. Caulk guns are all plastic now and the top cutter sucks.

Been using the poly on one side absorbent paper on the other interior drop cloths for years. Used to be a professional painter. The freaking step ladder breaks right through them on carpet now.

Bought a new black diamond headlamp. Thing barely holds a charge and it is hot as heck.

The new Chamberlain garage door opener we got has a belt, not a chain. Didn't even know that was a thing now. Last bought a garage door opener in 2003. It was still working perfect when
we sold our house two years ago. They are less durable, but quieter. Who gives a f? Is that seriously a concern for people? That seems like a made up excuse to use cheaper materials.

car batteries are now twice as much and have half the warranty.

I could go on and on. But see this is all done on purpose. People constantly want the newer thing so durability means far less to people these days.

:goodposting:

I couldn’t agree more.

• Fishing gear - shocked I saw some others post that. Shimano reels never fail me...doesn't even have to be expensive Stradic reels - just a basic Sedona is better than most anything else out there. Same with rods - Loyal to St. Croix and Star, but honestly for the kids the old Ugly Stick works great.

I'm an in-shore spinning reel guy - 2500 - 4000 size, so in that class - yes. It's relatively more expensive than most of what Shimano makes shy of the Stella's and the Twin Powers and I guess the Vanford, which is really just the new Stradic. My point is I'll take a Shimano over most anything else. I'm sure some Penn lovers will disagree, but I've never been impressed.

I would highly recommend the daiwa bg it is the best reel that is cheaper than the Saragossa in my opinion.

I have penn, daiwa, and Shimano reels. I agree that Shimano is better than penn when it comes to spinners. Before I used a ton of salt water reels I bought 3 penn spinfishers, and while they are alright. I wish I would have went a different direction.

Edit, really look hard at the diawa bg for your next reel. They are awesome, so good I had to say it twice.
I like my spin fisher and will probably buy another one soon, but I bought a Shimano Vanford recently and it blows it away for most of my inshore fishing.

I like my spin fisher and will probably buy another one soon, but I bought a Shimano Vanford recently and it blows it away for most of my inshore fishing.

I like Daiwa BG for less money, however for the same amount of money I like the Quantum Cabo, the only downside is they are next to impossible to find. Edit, the Quantum cabo is ~50 dollars more than the Spinfisher at bass pro.

In the Spinfisher VI I have a 10k, 8k, and 6500.

I like Daiwa BG for less money, however for the same amount of money I like the Quantum Cabo, the only downside is they are next to impossible to find. Edit, the Quantum cabo is ~50 dollars more than the Spinfisher at bass pro.

I want to get a couple of long cast ones for surf fishing

In the long cast reals the Penn Spinfisher would be a good choice because it is the most sealed of any of the long casters, however while they advertise themselves as fully sealed they are not quite. You would not want to dunk a Spinfisher under water for too long.

In the long cast reals the Penn Spinfisher would be a good choice because it is the most sealed of any of the long casters, however while they advertise themselves as fully sealed they are not quite. You would not want to dunk a Spinfisher under water for too long.
Yeah, that is why I am interested

used to be caps from Ebbets, but they were bought out by Lids within the last year and Lids has started rolling out their trashtastic versions of hats and selling them on the Ebbets site

before you could browse the Ebbets site and see all quality. now you have to wade through garbage hats overstuffed like Mike Myers apron in Office Space.

i want to browse 50 clean, classic hats. not 40 gimmicky, overdone hats + 5 blanks and 5 classics.

yeah this take is a bit ridiculous tbh, the ole nostalgic things were better when i was a kid take.

I don’t think so at all, especially fixtures and appliances. Tons of older people I trust hate modern refrigerators and washers/dryers. Whether because of regulations or cutting cost or whatever, there’s an entire industry of goods that people consider inferior today without any bias from “good old days,” but rather a fair lament about the state of certain products today.
I have a deep mistrust of newer appliances since my 6 month freezer tried to burn our house down.

Any particular reason you wear them at your age or is it just an accoutrement to the whole shebang of an outfit you got working?

Personally, I'll even roll with behead these days if I have to.

No caps!

For some of us follicly challenged folk, it's a necessity. You haven't really experienced a sunburn unless you've had one on a bald head.

Last edited:
For some of us follicly challenged folk, it's a necessity. You haven't really experience a sunburn unless until you've had one on a bald head.

Ahhh, yes. I would not want that. Funny, my resplendently-haired self never even considered the follicly challenged. What an oversight. Carry on, then.

Baseball caps back in play, fellas!

Any particular reason you wear them at your age or is it just an accoutrement to the whole shebang of an outfit you got working?

Personally, I'll even roll with behead these days if I have to.

No caps!

For some of us follicly challenged folk, it's a necessity. You haven't really experience a sunburn unless you've had one on a bald head.
still got hair here, but i keep it very low and you aren't just a foolin about the sunburn.

mostly i only wear ballcaps in the winter because sweat is a serious factor in summer & that's worse than even the sunburn for me.. putting a lid on the chimney is off when temps are above about 55 for me.

I'll have to take a look at the BG next time I'm in Cabelas/Bass Pro. I've never owned a Daiwa reel.

I saw you mention the Vanford - I have one Stradic FL that I love, but I just can't justify the extra cost. I use it from shore most of the time, or if I'm out solo. Most of my fishing is off our boat in the Chesapeake - We've usually got 4 people fishing, and it's a mix of perch fishing with Light gear, Striper jigging with medium spinners, and live-lining with Medium/Heavy bait runner reels. I also have a 6-rod trolling set-up for the fall. I try and keep things consistent, so it's 4x the cost with every new set-up as I buy 4 in most cases. Maybe when the kids get older I'll start upgrading more.

I will take a look at the BG though. Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread