What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you'll pay more for if it's quality. (1 Viewer)

The other one I have that I just got is the AMEX Marriott Brilliant card. This one is much more straightforward. It's $650. But, you get $25/month if you use it at any restaurant. That basically automatically drops the price to $350. It also gives you a free hotel night at Marriott up to 85,000 points. That's basically staying at the Ritz. If you have one hotel stay that is going to cost you $350/night in a year, the card is now free. It also gets you TSA pre check, priority pass, and complimentary Platinum status at Marriott. That can matter.

Of note, there's currently a huge bonus if you get this Marriott Brilliant card worth over $1000 in points

We do a lot of traveling with our kids for their activities so these 2 cards work for us for many reasons.
I have never thought of paying a yearly fee for a credit card. In fact, I have never had a card that I actually had to pay a yearly fee. I pay my cards off every month and rotate to whatever has the highest cash back percentage for whatever it is that I am buying.

It seems like these huge yearly fees could be made up based on your outline but seems like it is very personal as to if you will use those benefits provided. Also seems like if you aren't traveling many times a year many of these perks would go unused and therefore not get you the return you need to pay for the yearly fee.

Even with your thoughtful and organized breakdown it still seems like I wouldn't come close to getting the value for that $650 dollar payment a year. I will have to give it some more thought. I have gone from "why would anybody pay a fee just to have a CC" to "maybe I should look a little into if the perks would be used by me".
The level of the fee matters too on the ROI. We (the wife) has one (don’t remember what) that has a 179 fee but along with some other perks offers 1 free companion fight a year. That one is pretty easy to cover the yearly fee for most people I’d assume.
If I remember married life accurately, those are a dime a dozen.

High end credit card

Tell us more there. What is the cost and what are the benefits you feel make it worth it? Specific cards?
I carry the Chase Reserve. It costs $250/yr assuming you travel a reasonable amount. If traveling it makes sense if you spend about 3k/yr in travel spending, which I tend to get to fairly readily. It is very tuned toward travel rewards. 1.5x value travel redemptions through the travel portal, primary rental car insurance (big one), very good trip cancellation/delay/baggage insurance, airport lounge access in some airports, and a few others.

Great card if you travel. If you travel for work and can use this even better.
You talking about the chase sapphire reserve? I'm seeing 550 fee.
It is $550; well worth it for me and traveling.

High end credit card

Tell us more there. What is the cost and what are the benefits you feel make it worth it? Specific cards?
I carry the Chase Reserve. It costs $250/yr assuming you travel a reasonable amount. If traveling it makes sense if you spend about 3k/yr in travel spending, which I tend to get to fairly readily. It is very tuned toward travel rewards. 1.5x value travel redemptions through the travel portal, primary rental car insurance (big one), very good trip cancellation/delay/baggage insurance, airport lounge access in some airports, and a few others.

Correct. $550 fee and they give $300 back on your first $300 of travel expenses charged. So really it's $250. The assumption is that if you have this card charging $300 of travel expenses (planes, trains, car rentals, hotels, cruises, parking, etc.) annually is a no brainer.

Last edited:
See my new thread. That's apparently what we'll spend money on if it's quality. And the quality was assured by the owner, so it must be true.

I have probably a larger list than a lot of people, am a pretty big consumer. Helps when you don't have kids to support.

Alcohol for sure, no reason to skimp on quality there. Wine gets expensive though
Records, I buy audiophile stuff from the better labels, the ones that people want, hopefully they retain value in the future
My music system I did not skimp in but more a one time buy
Golf, don't mind paying a little more for a superior course
Coffee!! Buy beans from quality suppliers. This actually works out cheaper in the long run than buying a coffee every day, so maybe not a great example

High end credit card

Correct. $550 fee and they give $300 back on your first $300 of travel expenses charged. So really it's $250. The assumption is that if you have this card charging $300 of travel expenses (planes, trains, car rentals, hotels, cruises, parking, etc.) annually is a no brainer.

Good to know. I have the preferred now so I have some time before I'm eligible for the reserve bonus. Gonna need to do some math to see if it will be worth keeping now that the fees are a lot closer.

I was thinking about what parasaurolophus said the other day at the dentist. Nothing is quality anymore.

I have a great dentist, though. She takes really impossible situations and tries to make them better at a reasonable cost. We even switched insurances so that she's on our plan. Anyway, she was totally dedicated to getting this tooth right and I thought "What if she were the average American and this were an average American product?"

What's to stop the society from grinding to a halt if we all just say "**** it, I'm not going to do X today because I don't feel like it." **** would get ugly within a matter of days.

Long story short and no thought exercise needed, I think a lot of the USA has done just that. Just stopped doing hard work. Stopped making quality goods and replaced that with goods of passable or questionable quality.

That's my two cents tonight. If you're wondering what would happen it everybody just said "**** it," look around you. It's already happening.

Pretty much nothing is quality anymore.

We recently bought two Kohler toilets. Both were flawed. Had to return them both.

Interesting.

That's now how I see it at all though. Sure there are some shoddy products out there. Always will be. But in general, the level of quality in things like cars and lots of manufactured goods is astoundingly good. Even the most inexpensive model cars have a quality fit and finish that was unheard of 30 years ago.

And certainly, technology is in it's own universe. An iphone quality is mind-blowingly good.

We recently bought two Kohler toilets. Both were flawed. Had to return them both.

Interesting.

That's now how I see it at all though. Sure there are some shoddy products out there. Always will be. But in general, the level of quality in things like cars and lots of manufactured goods is astoundingly good. Even the most inexpensive model cars have a quality fit and finish that was unheard of 30 years ago.

And certainly, technology is in it's own universe. An iphone quality is mind-blowingly good.
At the very same time that we can crowd source info online, find a fantastic bed frame or well made espresso maker, it has never been easier to buy cheaply made stuff.

It’s pretty interesting. My mom is a Hall of Fame dopamine consumer, whereas I really enjoy looking around online to get a good…whatever.

yeah this take is a bit ridiculous tbh, the ole nostalgic things were better when i was a kid take.

I don’t think so at all, especially fixtures and appliances. Tons of older people I trust hate modern refrigerators and washers/dryers. Whether because of regulations or cutting cost or whatever, there’s an entire industry of goods that people consider inferior today without any bias from “good old days,” but rather a fair lament about the state of certain products today.

yeah this take is a bit ridiculous tbh, the ole nostalgic things were better when i was a kid take.

I don’t think so at all, especially fixtures and appliances. Tons of older people I trust hate modern refrigerators and washers/dryers. Whether because of regulations or cutting cost or whatever, there’s an entire industry of goods that people consider inferior today without any bias from “good old days,” but rather a fair lament about the state of certain products today.
i can buy the argument that adding a technological element or additional features to some things makes them more complicated and more likely to break but not the argument that "nothing is quality anymore", which is ridiculous.

Dishwashers are the worst. You basically have to wash the dishes before you put them in there. We make sure to open the dishwasher up and shake everything and leave it open overnight so it can be dry in the morning.

You know what I have noticed recently disintegrate like nothing. Screws. I was replacing door hardware and the little screws were a tad bit longer than the previous screws. As soon as they hit fresh wood and not the previously threaded hole it was like lunch for my bit.

Been seeing that for all sorts of stuff.

Caulk is now staring to come in 9ounce tubes. Not 10.1 which was the standard. Caulk guns are all plastic now and the top cutter sucks.

Been using the poly on one side absorbent paper on the other interior drop cloths for years. Used to be a professional painter. The freaking step ladder breaks right through them on carpet now.

Bought a new black diamond headlamp. Thing barely holds a charge and it is hot as heck.

The new Chamberlain garage door opener we got has a belt, not a chain. Didn't even know that was a thing now. Last bought a garage door opener in 2003. It was still working perfect when
we sold our house two years ago. They are less durable, but quieter. Who gives a f? Is that seriously a concern for people? That seems like a made up excuse to use cheaper materials.

car batteries are now twice as much and have half the warranty.

I could go on and on. But see this is all done on purpose. People constantly want the newer thing so durability means far less to people these days.

My 30 year old washer and dryer will outlast most 1-5 year old washer and dryers. We haven't had any issues in the past 10 years, but if there is an issue we will fix it.

I have less confidence in our 30 year old fridge, but still some.

Last edited:

Dishwashers are the worst. You basically have to wash the dishes before you put them in there. We make sure to open the dishwasher up and shake everything and leave it open overnight so it can be dry in the morning.

You know what I have noticed recently disintegrate like nothing. Screws. I was replacing door hardware and the little screws were a tad bit longer than the previous screws. As soon as they hit fresh wood and not the previously threaded hole it was like lunch for my bit.

Been seeing that for all sorts of stuff.

Caulk is now staring to come in 9ounce tubes. Not 10.1 which was the standard. Caulk guns are all plastic now and the top cutter sucks.

Been using the poly on one side absorbent paper on the other interior drop cloths for years. Used to be a professional painter. The freaking step ladder breaks right through them on carpet now.

Bought a new black diamond headlamp. Thing barely holds a charge and it is hot as heck.

The new Chamberlain garage door opener we got has a belt, not a chain. Didn't even know that was a thing now. Last bought a garage door opener in 2003. It was still working perfect when
we sold our house two years ago. They are less durable, but quieter. Who gives a f? Is that seriously a concern for people? That seems like a made up excuse to use cheaper materials.

car batteries are now twice as much and have half the warranty.

I could go on and on. But see this is all done on purpose. People constantly want the newer thing so durability means far less to people these days.
Agree on planned obsolescence lowering the quality on most modern devices, with cars being the notable exception. Our TV, refrigerator, and dryer all developed problems within a couple years, while my parents’ versions always seemed to last a decade or more. And the battery life on most computers/phones peters out after a couple years.

Headlamps are such a crapshoot, I stopped buying the brand name ones.

Though I’ll still pay a premium for most outdoor/athletic gear. Patagonia products are a good example. They last a long time, and are warranteed forever - I just returned a nearly 20-year-old jacket that delaminated, which they replaced with the updated version, no questions asked. Plus, the company attempts to operate ethically.

Agree on planned obsolescence lowering the quality on most modern devices

Do you guys think the planned obsolescence is a top-down thing to make money, or are consumers demanding such technologically advanced stuff that it makes no sense to make the other parts durable once the bells and whistles go?

I mean, I've heard so many appliance buyers complaining about the short shelf life that this can't be a demand thing, can it?

I'll hang up and listen to thoughts about that.

Do you guys think the planned obsolescence is a top-down thing to make money, or are consumers demanding such technologically advanced stuff that it makes no sense to make the other parts durable once the bells and whistles go?

I mean, I've heard so many appliance buyers complaining about the short shelf life that this can't be a demand thing, can it?

For refrigerators/AC units the answer is easy. The new refrigerants that are being regulated are more corrosive and operate under conditions that are more likely to shorten the shelf life of compressors and other equipment.

For other appliances it is not as easy to find the culprit. You would think one company would want to be the "Toyota" of appliances, the closest there probably is would be Speed Queen, however they only make washers and dryers.

The new refrigerants that are being regulated are more corrosive and operate under conditions that are more likely to shorten the shelf life of compressors and other equipment.

I'm having trouble with the syntax of your sentence and how it conveys meaning. Are the more corrosive refrigerants being used because they meet the regulation requirements whereas less corrosive ones don't meet regulation requirements? That's what I'm sort of seeing you try to say. I'm just not totally understanding.

That would be interesting.

For things like cell phones and computers, I think people want ever improving tech, so they don’t mind “upgrading” every 2-3 years. The same probably doesn’t apply to home appliances, while TVs probably fall somewhere in between.

Personally, I hate shopping and keep most things as long as possible. So I’d prefer stuff that lasts, even if it costs more up front.

The new refrigerants that are being regulated are more corrosive and operate under conditions that are more likely to shorten the shelf life of compressors and other equipment.

I'm having trouble with the syntax of your sentence and how it conveys meaning. Are the more corrosive refrigerants being used because they meet the regulation requirements whereas less corrosive ones don't meet regulation requirements? That's what I'm sort of seeing you try to say. I'm just not totally understanding.

That would be interesting.

Old refrigerants, ie freon, was easy to work with and not corrosive. The downside is that it destroyed the ozone.

The new refrigerants are more environmentally friendly, however the conditions that they work in are not as friendly as freon and they also tend to be corrosive.

Lots of good mentions here.

Number one for me is anything to do with our main residence - repairs, improvements, furniture, appliances, maintenance, even insurance. We're here for the foreseeable future, I want it high quality, and will pay a premium for it.

One tangent. And this seems obvious but I see folks get away from it.

For me, the idea of "how much will I use this?" is big.

I feel much differently about spending more money on something I use every day like a computer.

Or for something like a watch, I'd ask, "How often will I wear this?". I'd look at the expense for a watch I'd wear every day vs wearing that same watch twice a month.

Seems obvious but I see folks miss this.

• Shoes - Nike for casual, Allen Edmonds for work - I do have some other brands, but those two make up 80% of my shoes.
  • Fishing gear - shocked I saw some others post that. Shimano reels never fail me...doesn't even have to be expensive Stradic reels - just a basic Sedona is better than most anything else out there. Same with rods - Loyal to St. Croix and Star, but honestly for the kids the old Ugly Stick works great.
  • Power and Hand Tools - I use my tools a lot. I'm not a pro, but do way more than the average homeowner. I grew up using the wrong tools for the job because my dad never had specialized tools. Having them now, I'll never go back. I have a full set of old USA Made craftsman hand tools, and go Dewalt for most of my power stuff. As much as I want to like Harbor Freight, they're not great for the more regular-use stuff in my opinion.
  • Garden Hose stuff - so this is an odd one - I had dozens of hoses, quick disconnects, reels, etc. that would turn to complete crap after a few years. Finally researched what the best out there was and found Eley hose reels. Expensive...really expensive...but everything they make lasts, they work, and they look great. Buy once, cry once for sure.
  • "Everyday use items." Which is kind of a catch-all. I spend more than average on things like wallets, computer mouse, headphones, etc. Things I'll use almost daily - I find a little joy in using them.

• Fishing gear - shocked I saw some others post that. Shimano reels never fail me...doesn't even have to be expensive Stradic reels - just a basic Sedona is better than most anything else out there. Same with rods - Loyal to St. Croix and Star, but honestly for the kids the old Ugly Stick works great.

Listing a Stradic as an expensive reel :oldunsure:

Wirecutter is my go to on reviews. This was interesting on some things they think you don't have to go expensive with. https://www.nytimes.com/wirecutter/blog/ask-wirecutter-cheap-but-good-products/
I'll second the $31 Tramontina frying pan that is mentioned.

I bought one for Christmas a year or so ago and after a few months, bought another.

We cook quite a bit and these pans are great.

Tramontina Professional 10-Inch Restaurant Fry Pan
I liked the pans but going into year 2 of using them they are in need of replacing. Wondering if I don’t step up and go premium (Made-in, etc) or think of them as semi disposable and buy new every year or 2.

High end credit card

There's 2 in particular that I have. There are others (i. e. Chase Sapphire Reserve), but I'll discuss my 2. In general, if you can make use of the benefits, then the card pays for itself and then you end up with some really nice perks.

1. AMEX Platinum. I actually have the Morgan Stanley version which has a little added extra benefit (extra card for free instead of $175 fee), but the non-MS card is $695. Here's a summary of how that can get offset:

1. $240 digital credit. You get $20/month. It's used for things like Sirius, Peacock, Disney bundle (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+). Depends on if you use those or not, obviously.
2. $200 airline credit. This isn't for tickets and it's only on a few airlines, but it's basically for upgrades, baggage fees, etc. You can change the airline each year.
3. $200 Uber Cash -- You get $15 month to use for Uber or Uber eats. In December you get a little extra
4. Free CLEAR membership. $189/year. If you fly even more than a couple times/year and your airport has it, you'll learn the value of it. As more people get TSA pre check, this let's you skip to the front of that. You basically never wait in security. Our airport has it so it's useful.
5. $100 Saks credit -- Not something I'd normally care about, but you get $50 to use each 6 months. Nice for gifts that my wife uses.
6. $156 -- Walmart + membership -- $12.95/month. This then also gets you Paramount+ since you get that with Walmart+.
7. $85-$100 -- TSA pre-check or Global Entry fee covered every 4 years.

There's a couple other money things, but those are most of them. As I put those all to use, the card ends up being more than free. Plus it gets you extra things like Priority Pass membership for lounges in airports and complimentary Gold Status with Marriott and Hilton Elite Status.

So, if you do any kind of travel, those perks add up. Then there's things like no transaction fees, travel insurance, etc.

The high price tag basically disappears if you're able to use the benefits.

The other one I have that I just got is the AMEX Marriott Brilliant card. This one is much more straightforward. It's $650. But, you get $25/month if you use it at any restaurant. That basically automatically drops the price to $350. It also gives you a free hotel night at Marriott up to 85,000 points. That's basically staying at the Ritz. If you have one hotel stay that is going to cost you $350/night in a year, the card is now free. It also gets you TSA pre check, priority pass, and complimentary Platinum status at Marriott. That can matter.

Of note, there's currently a huge bonus if you get this Marriott Brilliant card worth over $1000 in points

We do a lot of traveling with our kids for their activities so these 2 cards work for us for many reasons.
This. Plus, there are rotating offers at select merchants... stores, hotels, restaurants, etc. that either get you cash back or points. I got over $500 just in cash back last year.

I also have a Delta AmEx Platinum which is $250 annually but gets me free checked bags and a free companion ticket per year (worth well over $250).

We need a separate thread on CC perks/offers/etc... I'm a point/cash back hoarder. So are my kids... one of them flying to and staying in Italy next month with his GF, both basically free.

High end credit card

There's 2 in particular that I have. There are others (i. e. Chase Sapphire Reserve), but I'll discuss my 2. In general, if you can make use of the benefits, then the card pays for itself and then you end up with some really nice perks.

1. AMEX Platinum. I actually have the Morgan Stanley version which has a little added extra benefit (extra card for free instead of $175 fee), but the non-MS card is $695. Here's a summary of how that can get offset:

1. $240 digital credit. You get $20/month. It's used for things like Sirius, Peacock, Disney bundle (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+). Depends on if you use those or not, obviously.
2. $200 airline credit. This isn't for tickets and it's only on a few airlines, but it's basically for upgrades, baggage fees, etc. You can change the airline each year.
3. $200 Uber Cash -- You get $15 month to use for Uber or Uber eats. In December you get a little extra
4. Free CLEAR membership. $189/year. If you fly even more than a couple times/year and your airport has it, you'll learn the value of it. As more people get TSA pre check, this let's you skip to the front of that. You basically never wait in security. Our airport has it so it's useful.
5. $100 Saks credit -- Not something I'd normally care about, but you get $50 to use each 6 months. Nice for gifts that my wife uses.
6. $156 -- Walmart + membership -- $12.95/month. This then also gets you Paramount+ since you get that with Walmart+.
7. $85-$100 -- TSA pre-check or Global Entry fee covered every 4 years.

There's a couple other money things, but those are most of them. As I put those all to use, the card ends up being more than free. Plus it gets you extra things like Priority Pass membership for lounges in airports and complimentary Gold Status with Marriott and Hilton Elite Status.

So, if you do any kind of travel, those perks add up. Then there's things like no transaction fees, travel insurance, etc.

The high price tag basically disappears if you're able to use the benefits.

This. Plus, there are rotating offers at select merchants... stores, hotels, restaurants, etc. that either get you cash back or points. I got over $500 just in cash back last year.

I also have a Delta AmEx Platinum which is $250 annually but gets me free checked bags and a free companion ticket per year (worth well over $250).

We need a separate thread on CC perks/offers/etc... I'm a point/cash back hoarder. So are my kids... one of them flying to and staying in Italy next month with his GF, both basically free.

the wife came home with a seemingly lifetime supply of paper thin, sandpapery cheap toilet paper. I immediately thought of this thread.
I definitely appreciate good toilet paper due to when I am/was stationed on boats we use single ply, sand paper would have probably been a welcome relief :rant:

Can you please start one? I think it's an interesting topic and one I want to consider. I am intrigued by the expensive cards that have a laundry list of various things you have to take advantage of to make it worthwhile vs the cash back cards. Plus the airline points and such.

Would love to see a separate thread.

Can you please start one? I think it's an interesting topic and one I want to consider. I am intrigued by the expensive cards that have a laundry list of various things you have to take advantage of to make it worthwhile vs the cash back cards. Plus the airline points and such.

I didn't realize it... but there already is one!

I didn't realize it... but there already is one!
Massive ton of info in there, much of which still applies

Finally researched what the best out there was and found Eley hose reels. Expensive...really expensive...but everything they make lasts, they work, and they look great

Thanks. I had not seen these before.

Would gladly recommend them to anyone. Great customer service too (even though I don't think you'll need anything - I had a tiny scratch on a reel from shipping, and they sent me touch-up paint for free without any issue).

Listing a Stradic as an expensive reel :oldunsure:

I'm an in-shore spinning reel guy - 2500 - 4000 size, so in that class - yes. It's relatively more expensive than most of what Shimano makes shy of the Stella's and the Twin Powers and I guess the Vanford, which is really just the new Stradic. My point is I'll take a Shimano over most anything else. I'm sure some Penn lovers will disagree, but I've never been impressed.

Users who are viewing this thread