What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you'll pay more for if it's quality. (1 Viewer)

Deranged Hermit

Not cool & Pissed
My buddies and I got in a drunken discussion about everyday items you will pay more for if it's quality.
Of course the runner of the group said sneakers. Others said beer, computers (apple vs everything else), jeans, etc.
My answers:
1. Bourbon. Way passed the time in my life I drink bad booze.
2. Sunglasses. Pretty much Costa or Oakley . Has to be polarized.
3. Workboots. I'm a union carpenter. I wear these everyday. Gotta have quality.
What say you guys?

Fishing gear
Sunglasses as well, but prefer pelagic
produce/steak
vacations
ski boots

Not much else, we have tons of cheap stuff around the house.

My skis are cheaper, our furniture is entirely cheap ikea crap, our appliances/tv's/electronics are all cheap.

Last edited:
Food products(high end meats, oils, hot sauce, butter, etc.)
Toilet paper
Cars(thanks, DK, wouldn't have thought of that, but I do).
Good call on the cars. We were so hammered we didn't even consider that. I think we're were thinking less high end priced items though.

Cast iron cookware

Tell me more GB? My feed is inundated with 200$ cast iron pans. It feels to me like $15 Collard Greens or Waygu Brisket BBQ. Taking what is inherently a humble food and figuring out a way to get rich people to pay 10x what the thing normally costs. Can you elaborate?

Fishing gear
Sunglasses as well, but prefer pelagic
produce/steak
vacations
ski boots

Not much else, we have tons of cheap stuff around the house. My skis are cheaper,
I like those sunglasses. I might have to try them out. I tend to look towards costa since, for whatever reason, my HRA card will pay for them as a medical expense.

Shoes.
Briefcase.
Watch.

The common denominator for me is things I use every day.
My son (22 years old) brought up watches when we talked about this at dinner the next day. He loves his watches.
*edit* Good to see you around Joe. I'm a longtime member who doesn't get to post much anymore . Glad to see you active in the forums.

For me, it's pretty much alcohol.

For whoever said someone else said computers, that is a weird one. More or less anyone who is paying "premium" on (desktop) computers is overpaying. Massively. You can get enormously more value for money by self building (or, if you're not confident in Lego for adults, paying someone nominal fees to do so), using more or less any old components. But, at the same time, I will never cut costs on something like the power supply, and to a lesser extent the motherboard or SSD. In any case, most people who say they will pay extra for quality on computers are paying for brand names only and getting ripped off

Tools
Tool pouch
Toilet paper
Mattress

I’m sure there’s more, and I’ll probably add as I recall them

For whoever said someone else said computers, that is a weird one. More or less anyone who is paying "premium" on (desktop) computers is overpaying. Massively. You can get enormously more value for money by self building (or, if you're not confident in Lego for adults, paying someone nominal fees to do so), using more or less any old components. But, at the same time, I will never cut costs on something like the power supply, and to a lesser extent the motherboard or SSD. In any case, most people who say they will pay extra for quality on computers are paying for brand names only and getting ripped off
That was my buddy. Apple or die for him.

I can understand staying on Apple full stop if you're heavily invested into their OS, but the same point would have applied at any point in time when your friend migrated to Apple in the first place, so no sympathy. Don't get me wrong, they make great products, the couple of iPods I've had were fantastic, but it cannot be denied you're paying a premium just because Apple

Cast iron cookware

Tell me more GB? My feed is inundated with 200$ cast iron pans. It feels to me like $15 Collard Greens or Waygu Brisket BBQ. Taking what is inherently a humble food and figuring out a way to get rich people to pay 10x what the thing normally costs. Can you elaborate?

I don't spend THAT kind of money on cookware but I paid around $75 a couple years back for a Dutch oven that's cast iron coated in enamel and I love it. No need to buy the $200 version but I could see why foodies who love to cook and have the money would reach for it. Rest of my cast iron pans are just run of the mill variety but I prefer them over any other cooking pots and pans we have in our house. Prior to buying cast iron I was wasting money on cheap crap that didn't last, was hard to clean and didn't cook as well as cast iron does. My wife and inlaws have gifted my last few items so not sure what they spent but I highly doubt it was the Uber expensive variety.

It's my biggest stock holding and I don't own a single Apple product. My family all does but I'm not dazzled by Apple products. But I know they have consumers hooked for life.

Cast iron cookware

You’re right to think that way. Huge scam trying to rip off people who don’t know any better.

The one thing I do think I would not necessarily pay for directly, but would pay more for indirectly, is to fly out of non-awful airports. This is inconvenient given I live within ten miles of one of the UK's major international airports, but I would rather take more time and spend more money than having to fly out of Manchester ever. Flying back into it, don't care, only have to deal with immigration and I know where Greggs is en route to getting out of the place, but if I never need to use departures again I'll be happy with it

Shoes
Sushi
Cast iron cookware

I just saw a YouTube from the Meat Church guys, and guy was talking about his $300 cast iron.

Smells like silliness to me too. I feel like if high end cast iron was that wonderful, someone would have discovered it before now.

Shoes
Sushi
Cast iron cookware

I just saw a YouTube from the Meat Church guys, and guy was talking about his $300 cast iron.

Smells like silliness to me too. I feel like if high end cast iron was that wonderful, someone would have discovered it before now.

Lodge Cast Iron made in America has been awesome forever. I'm a fan of entrepreneurship but some of these new companies seem wild to me.

breville espresso machine
Just bought one a few weeks ago. Was skeptical of the cost but figured I could send it back. I……am not sending it back. What a machine.

Tell us more there.
High-ish end (I guess you could pay more but the reviews were top-notch for this) home espresso machine. Grinds the beans of course, makes a great cup of espresso or a latte, cappuccino, flat white and the milk foamer/texturer wand is awesome. Best coffee I’ve ever made by a country mile. Previous little machine I hadn’t wasn’t even close to this.

I guess I caught a good deal because I paid 200 less than this price now.

Breville Barista Touch Espresso Machine 67 oz, Black Truffle https://a.co/d/9KY0S81

The correlation between quality and price is weak, IMO. Corollas, Thom McAn leather shoes. Food at Walmart & Trader Joe's. Things that are just as good as more expensive comparable items. I recall Consumer Reports doing blind taste tests which often demonstrated this.

The correlation between quality and price is weak, IMO. Corollas, Thom McAn leather shoes. Food at Walmart & Trader Joe's. Things that are just as good as more expensive comparable items. I recall Consumer Reports doing blind taste tests which often demonstrated this.
I agree, but there are just certain brands I'm loyal to. I'm sure there are better brands of bourbon than the ones I drink, and I'm willing to give them a shot, but I usually default back to my go-to's.

Shoes
Sushi
Cast iron cookware

Lodge Cast Iron made in America has been awesome forever. I'm a fan of entrepreneurship but some of these new companies seem wild to me.
Lodge is a good brand. You should do well with it

breville espresso machine
Just bought one a few weeks ago. Was skeptical of the cost but figured I could send it back. I……am not sending it back. What a machine.

Tell us more there.
Just well built machines. I’ve had mine four years, used almost every day and still works as well as day one. It’s more than paid for itself and it’s actually kind of fun making your own cup. Kind of a morning routine for me. There are more expensive brands but I think Breville is the cost/value sweet spot. I don’t need an industrial grade machine.

Users who are viewing this thread