What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Things you'll pay more for if it's quality. (1 Viewer)

As I get older, I find myself supporting companies I like more than I used to.

I recently bought this jacket and I love it. https://www.tellason.com/coverall-jacket-selvedge-denim-12-5-oz/

It's $100 more than a normal "jean jacket" but I think it's worth twice that much more. Cut and sewn in the US and the owners seem like good guys. Easily worth the extra.
One of those wisdoms from our grandparents that was lost was 'too poor to buy cheap clothes'.

High end credit card

Tell us more there. What is the cost and what are the benefits you feel make it worth it? Specific cards?
There's 2 in particular that I have. There are others (i. e. Chase Sapphire Reserve), but I'll discuss my 2. In general, if you can make use of the benefits, then the card pays for itself and then you end up with some really nice perks.

1. AMEX Platinum. I actually have the Morgan Stanley version which has a little added extra benefit (extra card for free instead of $175 fee), but the non-MS card is $695. Here's a summary of how that can get offset:

1. $240 digital credit. You get $20/month. It's used for things like Sirius, Peacock, Disney bundle (Disney+, Hulu, ESPN+). Depends on if you use those or not, obviously.
2. $200 airline credit. This isn't for tickets and it's only on a few airlines, but it's basically for upgrades, baggage fees, etc. You can change the airline each year.
3. $200 Uber Cash -- You get $15 month to use for Uber or Uber eats. In December you get a little extra
4. Free CLEAR membership. $189/year. If you fly even more than a couple times/year and your airport has it, you'll learn the value of it. As more people get TSA pre check, this let's you skip to the front of that. You basically never wait in security. Our airport has it so it's useful.
5. $100 Saks credit -- Not something I'd normally care about, but you get $50 to use each 6 months. Nice for gifts that my wife uses.
6. $156 -- Walmart + membership -- $12.95/month. This then also gets you Paramount+ since you get that with Walmart+.
7. $85-$100 -- TSA pre-check or Global Entry fee covered every 4 years.

There's a couple other money things, but those are most of them. As I put those all to use, the card ends up being more than free. Plus it gets you extra things like Priority Pass membership for lounges in airports and complimentary Gold Status with Marriott and Hilton Elite Status.

So, if you do any kind of travel, those perks add up. Then there's things like no transaction fees, travel insurance, etc.

The high price tag basically disappears if you're able to use the benefits.

The other one I have that I just got is the AMEX Marriott Brilliant card. This one is much more straightforward. It's $650. But, you get $25/month if you use it at any restaurant. That basically automatically drops the price to $350. It also gives you a free hotel night at Marriott up to 85,000 points. That's basically staying at the Ritz. If you have one hotel stay that is going to cost you $350/night in a year, the card is now free. It also gets you TSA pre check, priority pass, and complimentary Platinum status at Marriott. That can matter.

Of note, there's currently a huge bonus if you get this Marriott Brilliant card worth over $1000 in points

We do a lot of traveling with our kids for their activities so these 2 cards work for us for many reasons.

We do a lot of traveling with our kids for their activities so these 2 cards work for us for many reasons.
I have the Amex platinum, and the Chase Sapphire preferred.

I want to keep my toe in both of the big pools, because I want to travel to different places. If people are married to an airline or a destination, it can really be to their benefit. Between those two, I can connect to most airlines.

Amex Platinum also just has the benefit of just being Amex platinum, there's a bunch of perks along the way. I called the travel concierge to book a hotel for a Vegas trip. Received a $100 voucher for each night. Free meal at Julian Serrano, because I booked thru them.

Vacations - on the places we stay, I’m still not ready to pay to fly the family so we stay drivable.

Bed / mattress - sleeping is among the most important thing we do

Long term house upgrades - not everything but if we’re renovating a room we’ll pay for quality and get what we want

I’ll support local breweries but occasionally also buy yuengling.

I’d say vehicles but really we go Honda and Toyota and drive them for at least a decade. Next vehicle might be more $ but we’re still not buying luxury

Vacations is my biggest one. I have never paid up for a vacation and been disappointed, I have went on several cheap vacations and had bad experiences.

I have the Amex platinum, and the Chase Sapphire preferred.

I want to keep my toe in both of the big pools, because I want to travel to different places. If people are married to an airline or a destination, it can really be to their benefit. Between those two, I can connect to most airlines.

Amex Platinum also just has the benefit of just being Amex platinum, there's a bunch of perks along the way. I called the travel concierge to book a hotel for a Vegas trip. Received a $100 voucher for each night. Free meal at Julian Serrano, because I booked thru them.
Yep. And AMEX customer service is top notch.

Which is why those high card fees, which look bad at first, are really not bad at all and end up being nothing if you can use the perks and you get these extras and "status". For example, getting late checkouts at hotels at 4pm is HUGE for out of town kids stuff that is usually still going on Sunday morning when you have to leave later in the day.

I always wondered about these cards and, until I finally bit the bullet and tried, didn't realize that they are worth that much without costing my anything in the end.

Some of you guys know I like Yeti stuff, and I feel alright paying the premium for many of their products, and that includes their camping chairs at $300 (though I can often find 20% coupons).

But, for those of you earlier in this thread, I draw the line at a $400 12" cast iron skillet.

Videogames.

I work hard, so if I have to spend 20 bucks for some stupid useless skin that doesn't effect gameplay but makes my experience 2% better then you bet your butt I'm going to do it.

Also I'm buying the special controller that's more comfortable and has extra buttons. If that extra button can help level the playing field with the whippersnapper on the other end that has super fast reactions and plays for 10 hours a day then I don't feel bad about out spending him.

Toilet paper
TV
computer monitor
furniture
mattress
food (including pizza)
car

We also installed a swim spa just the way we wanted it. It cost a lot more, but it was so totally worth it.

Sort of yes on most things, but also sort of no on most things. II guess it depends on your definition of "more".

For most things, I tend to settle in on a value/price standard that some would consider paying more and some wouldn't.

Beer: I spend a lot of money on beer. Most of it is on Sierra Nevada Torpedo. Some other variety, but it's very hard for me to justify going higher than Torpedo very often. Torpedo is cheap to a beer snob, but expensive to a Bucsh Light drinker.

Bourbon: Substitute Turkey 101 or EWBIB for Torpedo, and it's the same way. There better be a very good reason for being more expensive than those, and for me, there generally isn't.

Sardines: Still early, but it looks like Nuri will be that.

Rice cooker: At least waited until the cheap one wore out, but I wouldn't go back from Zojirushi now.

Shoes have to be Birkenstocks.

Cars: I refuse to sacrifice on quality. That's why I drive a 2001 Toyota and 2003 Subaru. I ain't slumming it with the over-tech'd trash being made today.

Shoes
Sushi
Cast iron cookware

Tell me more GB? My feed is inundated with 200$ cast iron pans. It feels to me like $15 Collard Greens or Waygu Brisket BBQ. Taking what is inherently a humble food and figuring out a way to get rich people to pay 10x what the thing normally costs. Can you elaborate?
I just saw a YouTube from the Meat Church guys, and guy was talking about his $300 cast iron.

Smells like silliness to me too. I feel like if high end cast iron was that wonderful, someone would have discovered it before now.

Lodge Cast Iron made in America has been awesome forever. I'm a fan of entrepreneurship but some of these new companies seem wild to me.
I could see buying a $200-300 CIS.
I absolutely love Lodge, and I've restored a couple dozen skillets from the 1910's to the 1950's that I paid $5 for.

There's a chance I could run low on super old lighter, smoother stuff (bad habit of giving them away, and then some start to warp and they can't come back from that).
I also don't have time to restore anymore, and now people are looking to make money on the old stuff, so they aren't as cheap as they used to be.

So, a $300 artisanal skill vs. a $25 Lodge?
I could see reasons for both.

Lodge is the obvious choice for almost anybody. Very well made, the extra weight makes one heck of a heat sink. As much as I may "like" working with the smooth surface over the knobby surface, I haven't found that one actually cooks better than the other.

But I do absolutely adore the older, lighter, smoother pre-1960's stuff. "High end cast iron" is what was made until around 1960. They were made thinner with a more expensive forging process or something, and then the surfaces were polished by hand. All the old foundries did it, including Lodge. Wagner, Birmingham, Griswold, and the rest all closed up when cheap manufacturing pushed them out.

Lodge stayed, albeit, with the less expensive manufacturing process. And thankfully they did stay. For a few generations, all you could get was Lodge or super cheap crap made overseas.

Again, I don't think one necessarily cooks any better than the other. But the pre-1960's stuff was definitely a different product.

I'd be fine paying up if the quality is there, if only to support a craftsman trying to preserve an old way of making things. This is all assuming it really is like the old stuff. I don't know, I've never used them.

(would not buy a Yeti anything).

Last edited:
Some things that people are saying I do not get, tv's, knives, cars, clothes, tools.

For example one of the best cooking shows on TV is america's test kitchen. They tested knives, you do not need to spend a ton of money on knives to get a good one. Being able to competently sharpen the knife on a regular basis is more important than the knife.

Tools is another. I worked construction and in industry in my 20's and having a top of the line makita, snap on, etc is important there, but for around the house projects a cheap ryobi can do everything the makita can for half the cost. I also expect my ryobi's to last for decades.

TP's been mentioned, definitely that. Hate wiping my bum with sandpaper.

I've recently found that store brand (specifically Target) dry roasted peanuts are just not as good as Planter's. I'll pay the extra 50 cents or whatever moving forward. Same goes for Raisin Bran. Gotta get the name brand.

Some things that people are saying I do not get, tv's, knives, cars, clothes, tools.

For example one of the best cooking shows on TV is america's test kitchen. They tested knives, you do not need to spend a ton of money on knives to get a good one. Being able to competently sharpen the knife on a regular basis is more important than the knife.

Tools is another. I worked construction and in industry in my 20's and having a top of the line makita, snap on, etc is important there, but for around the house projects a cheap ryobi can do everything the makita can for half the cost. I also expect my ryobi's to last for decades.

completed depends upon the type of cutting and cooking one would like to do. I have many Mercer and victorinox from my intro knife set when i entered culinary school. they are ok, but i love my henckels and globals that i acquired later.

My buddies and I got in a drunken discussion about everyday items you will pay more for if it's quality.
Of course the runner of the group said sneakers. Others said beer, computers (apple vs everything else), jeans, etc.
My answers:
1. Bourbon. Way passed the time in my life I drink bad booze.
2. Sunglasses. Pretty much Costa or Oakley . Has to be polarized.
3. Workboots. I'm a union carpenter. I wear these everyday. Gotta have quality.
What say you guys?

Boots? What kind? I have yet to find a more comfortable boot than timberland.

Slight hiack, sorry….My grandfather was a 50+year member of the carpenters union. Retired in 1970, died in 2008. 38 years he received a pension and health insurance. Supported a wife and three kids.

Food
Service
Nostalgia

I collect vintage things- from old apple computers to pocket watches and clock radios. I will pay a premium for unopened items - but unlike most people, I buy it not to keep sealed, but to open for myself. I can’t explain how much I enjoy opening something that is 30 or 70 years old that has never seen daylight.

Lol I’m weird. :lmao:

Oh man:

Holiday accommodations. All-inclusive resorts, hotels, motels.

There's several different tiers, and those tiers are based on your own opinion, but that first jump up in tiers? That's the important one.

Specific workout gear. For me, good running shoes because I have clown feet and my road bike. I have fairly expensive Trek road bike that fits like a glove. I spent $700 on a cheap trainer bike and I can't wait to get off of it after an hour. Same geometry, seat is dialed in but it's just uncomfortable. The Trek I feel like I could ride all day.

The other one I have that I just got is the AMEX Marriott Brilliant card. This one is much more straightforward. It's $650. But, you get $25/month if you use it at any restaurant. That basically automatically drops the price to $350. It also gives you a free hotel night at Marriott up to 85,000 points. That's basically staying at the Ritz. If you have one hotel stay that is going to cost you $350/night in a year, the card is now free. It also gets you TSA pre check, priority pass, and complimentary Platinum status at Marriott. That can matter.

Of note, there's currently a huge bonus if you get this Marriott Brilliant card worth over $1000 in points

I have never thought of paying a yearly fee for a credit card. In fact, I have never had a card that I actually had to pay a yearly fee. I pay my cards off every month and rotate to whatever has the highest cash back percentage for whatever it is that I am buying.

It seems like these huge yearly fees could be made up based on your outline but seems like it is very personal as to if you will use those benefits provided. Also seems like if you aren't traveling many times a year many of these perks would go unused and therefore not get you the return you need to pay for the yearly fee.

Even with your thoughtful and organized breakdown it still seems like I wouldn't come close to getting the value for that $650 dollar payment a year. I will have to give it some more thought. I have gone from "why would anybody pay a fee just to have a CC" to "maybe I should look a little into if the perks would be used by me".

All depends if you actually use them. Once my bank started charging a monthly fee but included "perks" that were of limited or no use, they lost a 20+ year customer

My buddies and I got in a drunken discussion about everyday items you will pay more for if it's quality.
Of course the runner of the group said sneakers. Others said beer, computers (apple vs everything else), jeans, etc.
My answers:
1. Bourbon. Way passed the time in my life I drink bad booze.
2. Sunglasses. Pretty much Costa or Oakley . Has to be polarized.
3. Workboots. I'm a union carpenter. I wear these everyday. Gotta have quality.
What say you guys?

Boots? What kind? I have yet to find a more comfortable boot than timberland.

Slight hiack, sorry….My grandfather was a 50+year member of the carpenters union. Retired in 1970, died in 2008. 38 years he received a pension and health insurance. Supported a wife and three kids.
That's what I wear, Timberland Pro with composite toe. I've tried fancier brands and none come close.
As for the union, I'm fortunate, my father and brother started well before me so my name was already out there. I've had no problem getting work, but many more don't have that. I've been running jobs since I was an apprentice (almost unheard of) but I was also much older and had experience running whole departments so once I learned print reading I was already ahead of the curve.
I wish I would have started earlier. Had I done so I'd be retiring in three years. Live and learn I guess.

I have never thought of paying a yearly fee for a credit card. In fact, I have never had a card that I actually had to pay a yearly fee. I pay my cards off every month and rotate to whatever has the highest cash back percentage for whatever it is that I am buying.

It seems like these huge yearly fees could be made up based on your outline but seems like it is very personal as to if you will use those benefits provided. Also seems like if you aren't traveling many times a year many of these perks would go unused and therefore not get you the return you need to pay for the yearly fee.

Even with your thoughtful and organized breakdown it still seems like I wouldn't come close to getting the value for that $650 dollar payment a year. I will have to give it some more thought. I have gone from "why would anybody pay a fee just to have a CC" to "maybe I should look a little into if the perks would be used by me".
Same here. I'm sure I could maximize better, but a go-to 2% cash back card, a couple of 5% rotaters, and the Amazon card is all I care to fool with.

The real money maker is the sign on bonuses with some of the fee credit cards. Basically funded a trip for three to Hawaii with two of them.

The real money maker is the sign on bonuses with some of the fee credit cards. Basically funded a trip for three to Hawaii with two of them.
Yep. Do that too. I have many credit cards and use them to get the sign on bonus and hit whatever the min is for money I was gonna spend anyway and then cancel or keep if the cashback bonuses are good.

I always laugh when I get a call for a new card wanting me to sign up when they hit me with the interest rate as incentive. I tell them I don't care what the interest rate is. What is the cashback program? Charge me 800% interest for all I care. Do that and give me 40% cash back. Sign me up for that.

Most everything. Would rather buy less stuff - but higher quality.

My wife is the opposite. We need a kitchen table. She would rather spend $500 on a crappy table that will last 3-5 years instead of a few grand for a table we have the rest of our lives.

My wife is the same. We both grew up with pretty much nothing, so some habits are hard to kick. But I'd rather have a frugal wife than a free spending one.

The level of the fee matters too on the ROI. We (the wife) has one (don’t remember what) that has a 179 fee but along with some other perks offers 1 free companion fight a year. That one is pretty easy to cover the yearly fee for most people I’d assume.

High end credit card

Tell us more there. What is the cost and what are the benefits you feel make it worth it? Specific cards?
I carry the Chase Reserve. It costs $250/yr assuming you travel a reasonable amount. If traveling it makes sense if you spend about 3k/yr in travel spending, which I tend to get to fairly readily. It is very tuned toward travel rewards. 1.5x value travel redemptions through the travel portal, primary rental car insurance (big one), very good trip cancellation/delay/baggage insurance, airport lounge access in some airports, and a few others.

Great card if you travel. If you travel for work and can use this even better.

Last edited:
High end credit card

I carry the Chase Reserve. It costs $250/yr assuming you travel a reasonable amount. If traveling it makes sense if you spend about 3k/yr in travel spending, which I tend to get to fairly readily. It is very tuned toward travel rewards. 1.5x value travel redemptions through the travel portal, primary rental car insurance (big one), very good trip cancellation/delay/baggage insurance, airport lounge access in some airports, and a few others.

Great card if you travel. If you travel for work and can use this even better.
You talking about the chase sapphire reserve? I'm seeing 550 fee.

It seems like these huge yearly fees could be made up based on your outline but seems like it is very personal as to if you will use those benefits provided.
That's it. If lots of travel isn't a priority, not worth it. I have no interest in cash back. Different cards, for different people.

Also, there is the high end cards, like the Platinum and the Reserve, but one could also only do Sapphire Preferred, For $95 per year, and get a bunch of free Chase cards, and combine the points, and have free flights forever, quite easily.

It's not either/or. It can seem like it, but it's not.

Users who are viewing this thread