What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Davis (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
This was reported by Hunchback in an earlier post...

link:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rs/12388794.htm

Panthers end experiment, move Davis to linebacker

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

The Carolina Panthers' experiment with Thomas Davis at strong safety has come to an end.

Defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac said Monday Davis, the team's first-round draft pick out of Georgia, will move full time to strongside linebacker.

The move was prompted by a foot injury to linebacker Brandon Short. The seriousness of Short's injury was not known, but Trgovac said the team needs to prepare for him to be out for an extended period.

Last edited by a moderator:

link:

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

The Carolina Panthers' experiment with Thomas Davis at strong safety has come to an end.

Defensive coordinator Mike Trgovac said Monday Davis, the team's first-round draft pick out of Georgia, will move full time to strongside linebacker.

The move was prompted by a foot injury to linebacker Brandon Short. The seriousness of Short's injury was not known, but Trgovac said the team needs to prepare for him to be out for an extended period.
AAARRRGGH!!! :wall: :wall: :wall:

Experiment at SS?!? Experiment?!? The freakin' experiment is playing him at SLB.

If one more of my backers gets buried at SLB in the next few weeks, I'm going to commit seppuku....

At some point in the last two years, the following potential studs have been banished to fantasy purgatory (and this are just the dudes on my teams)

DJ Williams

Jamie Sharper

Boss Bailey

Teddy Lehman

Demorrio Williams

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

I'm getting real tired of this. I need some Urlacher-like epiphanies for some of these def coordinators ASAP.

Rant over.

that is harsh, inbreeder...it might be difficult for CAR to sign both morgan AND witherspoon (both are nearing FA status)... if they prioritize morgan, hopefully davis will slide to WLB.SLB usually are charged with covering TE, & have an extra blocker to contend with on strong side... but coverage is not his strong suit... more than most, he could be used going forward primarily as an attacking LB... he showed some freakish edge speed on blitzes with georgia.so if he can get 6+ sacks (CAR DC must be giggling... OL will already have to contend with peppers, rucker & jenkins) that could help to boost his stats. also, he is such a stud, & athletic physical specimen, he may be that rare LB that can put up 100 tackles from the (admittedly) usually tackle-strapped SLB position.

link:

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

Experiment at SS?!? Experiment?!? The freakin' experiment is playing him at SLB.

If one more of my backers gets buried at SLB in the next few weeks, I'm going to commit seppuku....

At some point in the last two years, the following potential studs have been banished to fantasy purgatory (and this are just the dudes on my teams)

DJ Williams

Jamie Sharper

Boss Bailey

Teddy Lehman

Demorrio Williams

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

I'm getting real tired of this. I need some Urlacher-like epiphanies for some of these def coordinators ASAP.

Rant over.
This may become more of a "norm" than an "exception". In short, the SLB of a team has to be multi-talented. Etreme athleticism is a must...not a plus. Think about it...the SLB has to be strong and big enough to handle the blocking of a 260lb TE or 330lb OL, plus be fast and tall enough to cover a Gonzo-like or Gates-like pass-receiving TE (and occassional RB).Along the same lines, I'm worried many of next year's top LB's (A Brook, C Greenway, etc) will ultimately be moved to SLB in the NFL. Both guys go 6'3"+, weigh over 245lbs, and run like deer. Sounds like a recipe for a top-shelf SLB to me. :cry:

Back to Davis...

Being moved to SLB hurts his value. This cannot be disputed unless your league has a huge scoring difference between LB's and DB's. With this being said, I'd rather have a 3-down SLB on my FF team over a 2-down MLB or WLB. In today's NFL, very few LB's play every down. Davis will be one of them.

I'm confident he will eventually play the weak-side. He may only be one Dan Morgan injury away from the will, nice odds! I agree with Bob, in that it will be difficult for Carolina to sign both Morgan & Witherspoon and this could very well have played a part in their decision to move Davis to LB.

link:

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

DJ Williams

Jamie Sharper

Boss Bailey

Teddy Lehman

Demorrio Williams

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

Rant over.
This may become more of a "norm" than an "exception". In short, the SLB of a team has to be multi-talented. Etreme athleticism is a must...not a plus. Think about it...the SLB has to be strong and big enough to handle the blocking of a 260lb TE or 330lb OL, plus be fast and tall enough to cover a Gonzo-like or Gates-like pass-receiving TE (and occassional RB).Along the same lines, I'm worried many of next year's top LB's (A Brook, C Greenway, etc) will ultimately be moved to SLB in the NFL. Both guys go 6'3"+, weigh over 245lbs, and run like deer. Sounds like a recipe for a top-shelf SLB to me. :cry:

Back to Davis...

Being moved to SLB hurts his value. This cannot be disputed unless your league has a huge scoring difference between LB's and DB's. With this being said, I'd rather have a 3-down SLB on my FF team over a 2-down MLB or WLB. In today's NFL, very few LB's play every down. Davis will be one of them.
Maybe we're seeing a change in the weather. But I still hear (and see) many defensive coordinators drafting and utilizing guys from the safety position to cover those athletic TE/slot receivers. And a number of guys on the short list above are not guys you want taking on OL and blocking TEs. Their speed is much better utilized when protected from those blockers and wreaking havoc in other ways.As far as saying you'd rather have a 3 down SLB than a two down MLB, well, I suppose you're right. But you're going to have to look real hard to find a SLB that gets enough tackles on first and second downs and enough sacks and passes defensed on third to be truly valuable. I see three in the top 30 of last year's rankings in my system (Farrior (4), Foley (25), and Washington (28)). And predicting which ones will be quality fantasy players this year is not unlike predicting which CB (outside of the cover-2 crowd) will have enough INT to be valuable.

I hope that some of these guys reach Anthony Simmons/James Farrior levels of production. With regard to Thomas Davis, he has a little experience playing backer in third down situations and, generally speaking, it's said that the Sam is the easiest spot to learn. But without more information about the construct of how he'll be used in the Panther defense, I can't see him as a starting fantasy LB for 2005.

I'd love to be wrong.

I'm confident he will eventually play the weak-side. He may only be one Dan Morgan injury away from the will, nice odds! I agree with Bob, in that it will be difficult for Carolina to sign both Morgan & Witherspoon and this could very well have played a part in their decision to move Davis to LB.
He'll be the weak-side LB in 2006, I think that's been the plan since April. I doubt if Witherspoon moves to MLB with an injury to Morgan. My guess is Draft would become MLB, and Davis stays put. I think that's how it went down in 03, with Brian Allen replacing Morgan at MLB.And while I've been ripped for questioning NFL coaches in the past, I can't see how the Panthers are better off with Davis at SLB and say Minter/Bashir at SS/FS, than say Draft at SLB and Davis/Minter as safeties. I think the run defense is better with the latter, and, since Davis was supposed to have been used as a pass rushing LB in passing situations already, the run defense is really what will be affected with this change in alignment.

I'm just a little frustrated is all. Heh. Suffice to say, I'll be a very, very interested observer in how each of the guys I mentioned (and others, Dansby, etc) fare as SLB.

And Mark Fields did have some success as the SLB in Carolina, so this is one team where you might see some nice production. Again, here's hoping.

I'm confident he will eventually play the weak-side.  He may only be one Dan Morgan injury away from the will, nice odds!  I agree with Bob, in that it will be difficult for Carolina to sign both Morgan & Witherspoon and this could very well have played a part in their decision to move Davis to LB.
He'll be the weak-side LB in 2006, I think that's been the plan since April. I doubt if Witherspoon moves to MLB with an injury to Morgan. My guess is Draft would become MLB, and Davis stays put. I think that's how it went down in 03, with Brian Allen replacing Morgan at MLB.And while I've been ripped for questioning NFL coaches in the past, I can't see how the Panthers are better off with Davis at SLB and say Minter/Bashir at SS/FS, than say Draft at SLB and Davis/Minter as safeties. I think the run defense is better with the latter, and, since Davis was supposed to have been used as a pass rushing LB in passing situations already, the run defense is really what will be affected with this change in alignment.

I'm just a little frustrated is all. Heh. Suffice to say, I'll be a very, very interested observer in how each of the guys I mentioned (and others, Dansby, etc) fare as SLB.

And Mark Fields did have some success as the SLB in Carolina, so this is one team where you might see some nice production. Again, here's hoping.
I know, I'm frustrated too. I have to move him in my dynasty league and already have 4 rookie backers now and have no one I want to cut. :rant:

I'd wait till closer to the season before jumping the gun on dumping the guy if you needed him at SS instead of LB. Maybe the SLB position doesn't work out in the next few games, then you would really be pissed for trading him...At any rate the guy loves to hit people. So you have to figure he will be getting his share of tackles, atleast the ones Morgan doesn't get...

Scoring system.05 solo .05 assist 3 int 3 sack 1 pd 2 FFYahoo will probably slot him as a DB,D or DB,DL. Which in this scoring system, is awesome. This system makes LBs the cream of the crop. So my question is, in that scoring, this move should help him yes? Or is it possible he gets less tackles then he would have at SS? In a yahoo league you'll basically be able to play a LB at the DB slot.

how do you guys think the move affects davis in a system that requires me to start a S (davis will be a S) and gives 1pt per any tackle/assist + 4 points per sack + 5 points per int + 3 points for forced fumble/fumble recovery? I think it would help in this system, no?

I have a similar dilemma as a few of you guys... I'm wondering if it makes more sense to start Davis in my DB slot (where he's already eligible) while he plays SLB in a Yahoo league or go with a true SS such as T. Parrish or S. Knight.Tough call. Thoughts?

This is a bomb to be dropped at this time. All I can think right now is...............Patience. Monitor how things progress thru the next games. At least I have an option, (One that I hadn't considered till today) Taxi squad. Just need to reserve plenty of $$$$'s should he bust out during the season. Oui Veigh!

I don't think the move helps in any shape or form in fantasy terms. There really is no reasonable system that favors a SLB over a MLB/WLB or a safety. I think you'd have to be in a league that values sacks 10x tackles for an average to above-average SLB to consistently outperform a good SS or backer.The following two comps might apply:Marcus Washington 200483 solo, 18 asst, 4 sacks, 1 FF, 1 FR, 3 PD, 0 INTMark Fields 200275 solo, 28 asst, 6.5 sacks, 2 FR, 1 INT, 0 PD, 0 FFBoth could be considered best case scenario for a SLB. And these numbers put you around DB3 or LB3-4 in a 12 team start 3 LB league. Granted, Anthony Simmons had better years than that in Seattle. Assuming Thomas Davis can approach these numbers while adjusting to a 16 game season against NFL caliber players in a new position is really pushing it.Even if he does, he's a marginal DB or LB in any of the above systems questioned. If you're in a redraft league, watch the first 3-4 weeks for a trend or injury putting Davis is a better position. If you're in a dynasty league, wait until 2006 and then you should see Davis at the WLB spot and putting up huge numbers.It could well be that this move benefits dynasty sharks who can steal him next offseason from his current owners who think he's a bust or now from owners who overreact to what they worry may a permanent move to SLB. It's still awful early to speculate, but I'll continue to hold out hope that we see an article in a week saying Short isn't injured all that badly and Davis wasn't picking up the nuances as well as they'd like forcing the Panthers to move him back to safety.

Not sure if it is going to be permanent...If you look at the AP Article, it mentions that Short is expected to be available for the opener...

It's also possible that Davis could be moved back to safety, although it appears that decision would be based on how long Short is out. Panthers coach John Fox shied away from the specifics of Short's injury, saying only that the linebacker was day to day.Short later said he injured the plantar fascia on his left foot and didn't know how long he would be sidelined. He did, however, feel confident he would be back in time for the Sept. 11 season opener.

in our league, we have to start him at position where he actually plays... i am assuming ourlads will shift him to SLB at some point if it looks like that is where he will be... at least temporarily... for a week or so. :)if i had a wish list for where he could be...WLB/SS/SLBbut as i said upthread, if anybody could surprise with unexpected SLB production it would be davis... his hybrid SLB-attack backer position on third down passing situations is called...THE "JOKER"... this late position switch (not entirely unexpected... they have been all over the place with his designation & role... is he a LB or S... yeah, right, exactly!) makes him a joker in the IDP deck. :) * if witherspoon is not retained & davis shifts to WLB, his value will skyrocket... scouts think he is a frankenstein monster cross between derrick brooks & roy williams.

Dan Morgan has just signed an extension to stay with the Panthers. On the surface, this would signal a higher priority with Morgan over Witherspoon. If Witherspoon becomes a UFA at season's end, Davis will most likely slide into his WLB role.

Panthers | Morgan Contract Breakdown

Wed, 17 Aug 2005 11:48:24 -0700

Updating previous reports, Jay Glazer, of FOXSports.com, reports the five-year contract extension Carolina Panthers LB Dan Morgan received is worth $28 million, including $10 million in bonus money over the first two years of the contract.

I would be very surprised if Witherspoon was with the team next year after this latest development. We've pretty much knew all along that it was going to be one or the other. Guess it's Morgan. I agree with Weiner Dog that Davis will slide over to WLB next year...

Is this theory about Witherspoon being let go a result of him being a weaker defender, even though he appears to be a fantasy monster?Or will he be a highly sought after FA next year?

I think that, yes, he is a weaker defender. He certainly does accumulate his fair share of fantasy points, but remember that a lot of his '04 totals came when Morgan was injured and Witherspoon was in the middle.Imo, they will not spend money on both Morgan and Witherspoon. That being said, I read last night on ESPN that they have had discussions with his agent on a contract. Do they then let Short walk? Not sure about the status of his contract. If you have Short, Morgan, and Davis I'm not sure why you would also re-up with Witherspoon for big bucks. Doesn't make economic sense.

link:

http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...s=1037645509200

Now that the Carolina Panthers have taken care of middle linebacker Dan Morgan with a five-year, $28 million contract extension, what about the guy who starts next to him on the field and sits next to him or across from him at every meal?

That would be outside linebacker Will Witherspoon. He and Morgan have been starting together - at least when Morgan is healthy - since midway through Witherspoon's rookie season in 2002.

General Manager Marty Hurney and Witherspoon's representatives have been talking since spring about the possibility of signing Witherspoon to a long-term extension. But Morgan loomed ahead of Witherspoon on the Panthers' priority list.

Now Morgan is locked up through 2010, and logic dictates that Witherspoon is next. But Hurney, Fox and even Witherspoon and Morgan know that it isn't that simple when it comes to cramming another long-term contract under the NFL's ever-changing salary cap.

"Shoot, I want 'em all. You know what I mean?" Fox said. "But unfortunately, that's not the way the business works.... There are a lot of ifs there. Keeping everybody together is harder than it sounds - both from a contractual standpoint and from a health standpoint."

Since Fox's arrival and Hurney's promotion to general manager after a 1-15 season and the firing of George Seifert as coach (and head personnel man) in 2001, the Panthers have pledged to build through the college draft and keep the core of their team together.

They've stuck to the plan with remarkable consistency. They have nine of their 11 starting defensive players locked up at least through the 2007 season. They have in the past three years prevented key players from becoming free agents by securing contract extensions with quarterback Jake Delhomme, wide receiver Steve Smith, defensive end Mike Rucker, safety Mike Minter, defensive tackles Kris Jenkins and Brentson Buckner, and place-kicker John Kasay.

Giving Morgan his extension was just another piece wedged into place in the grand plan. Getting Witherspoon in the fold as well would represent yet another piece.

"Any time you keep a very good player, it is very important to your defense - and Will is an outstanding football player, just like Dan," Hurney said. "The more continuity you can have, the better off you can be. When we started out, we said part of this so-called plan was to identify our key players and keep them.

"Will is definitely an excellent player for us and we would like to try to keep him if at all possible. So we're trying to get something done there."

Witherspoon and Morgan certainly would like to see it done. They've not only grown to be a solid team on the field, but they've become very close friends away from it.

"With Dan getting done, that's another step in the right direction," Witherspoon said. "Of course we'd love to stay together. As well as we work together now, the more and more time we're able to keep playing together will make it that much easier for us and better off for the team as a whole. I hope it works out."

Morgan added: "Any time you can keep the continuity, especially when it involves your best friend, it's great. So I would love to see them re-sign him, too. We'll see what happens with him."

Fox said that he's at least cautiously optimistic that eventually Witherspoon will be signed for the long haul.

"That's something where we're continuing to talk," Fox said. "We're very receptive on our end. It's something that we want to do. It just takes time, and you can't do everybody at once."

link:

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

DJ Williams

Jamie Sharper

Boss Bailey

Teddy Lehman

Demorrio Williams

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

Rant over.
You sure to like to draft 'tweeners, don't you? :D

link:

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

DJ Williams

Jamie Sharper

Boss Bailey

Teddy Lehman

Demorrio Williams

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

Rant over.
Yeah, my post was more than a little whiny and reactionary, huh? Sounds as if Davis will be back in a little more favorable situation soon anyway with Short believing he'll be ready for the opener and Draft running with the 1st team at SLB currently.I don't understand the tweener comment, though. I wouldn't consider any of those LBs tweeners. And I'd argue that Thomas Davis is the anti-tweener. Rather than being a player who might succeed at one position or another, I think his skill set suggests he's the kind of player who should be able to succeed at both SS and LB.

link:

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

DJ Williams

Jamie Sharper

Boss Bailey

Teddy Lehman

Demorrio Williams

Thomas Davis

Derrick Johnson

Rant over.
Yeah, my post was more than a little whiny and reactionary, huh? Sounds as if Davis will be back in a little more favorable situation soon anyway with Short believing he'll be ready for the opener and Draft running with the 1st team at SLB currently.I don't understand the tweener comment, though. I wouldn't consider any of those LBs tweeners. And I'd argue that Thomas Davis is the anti-tweener. Rather than being a player who might succeed at one position or another, I think his skill set suggests he's the kind of player who should be able to succeed at both SS and LB.
Both Davis and Boss Bailey IIRC were college LB's who were projected to be likely DB's or nickel LB's and special teamers in the pros. Sharper, as I recall, also had questions about his size. That's all I mean by that.

just heard that Branch was hurt in tonights game....Davis maybe headed back to safety. Halftime report said they would notknow of Branch's condition until tomorrow, but they didn't seemoptimistic.

Panthers | Branch Thinks He Will be OKSat, 20 Aug 2005 21:29:26 -0700Carolina Panthers S Colin Branch (knee) said after the team's preseason game Saturday, Aug. 20, that he thinks his injured knee will be OK. "From the way it feels I don't think it's too bad. It should be fine," said Branch. He said he was injured on a play involving New York Giants WR David Tyree. "It was kind of a jumble in there and Tyree kind of spun out and I planted to go and cut him off. As soon as I planted somebody came and flew into my knee. Hopefully the ACL is fine," said Branch.

Panthers | Branch to Miss Entire 2005 SeasonSun, 21 Aug 2005 14:06:40 -0700The Associated Press reports Carolina Panthers S Colin Branch (knee) will miss the entire 2005 season because of a knee injury he suffered during Carolina's preseason loss to the New York Giants Saturday, Aug. 20. Branch tore both the anterior cruciate ligament and the medial collateral ligament in his right knee.

Panthers | Not Sure How Branch Opening Will be FilledSun, 21 Aug 2005 14:15:33 -0700The Associated Press reports Carolina Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said Sunday, Aug. 21, it was too early to say how the Panthers will replace S Colin Branch (knee), or if first-round draft pick S/LB Thomas Davis will return to safety after one week at linebacker. The immediate solution for Carolina may be S Idrees Bashir, who was signed during the offseason to add depth to the secondary.

By JENNA FRYER - AP Sports Writer 2005-08-21 16:35CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP) - Panthers safety Colin Branch will miss the entire season because of a knee injury during Carolina's preseason loss to the New York Giants.General manager Marty Hurney said Sunday it was too early to say how the Panthers will replace Branch, or if first-round draft pick Thomas Davis will return to safety after one week at linebacker.``We're still going over the film,'' Hurney said. ``The players aren't even back yet, so we haven't even started those kinds of discussions yet.''Branch tore both the anterior cruciate ligament and the medial collateral ligament in his right knee during the first quarter of the 27-21 loss Saturday night at Giants Stadium. It appeared that Carolina linebackers Will Witherspoon and Dan Morgan rolled onto Branch's leg as they went after receiver David Tyree, who slipped past on what became a 90-yard touchdown.Branch started last season at free safety, but spent much of training camp battling for a starting spot at strong safety while the Panthers retooled the secondary to make room for Davis.But a lack of depth forced Carolina to move Davis to strongside linebacker last week. The move allowed Branch to return to free safety while Mike Minter went from free back to strong, where he has spent most of his career before the shuffle.The immediate solution for Carolina may be Idrees Bashir, who was signed during the offseason to add depth to the secondary. He started all 51 games he played in for Indianapolis and had been pushing Branch for the starting job,The Panthers also have Marlon McCree, another free-agent addition, who has nine career interceptions in 39 starts.

So Davis is moving back to safety? That is sarcasm for those who didn't notice the like 5 articles above my post.The Panthers LB and S spots are becoming a mess, at least they have a versatile Thomas to help out. The problem will be him staying in one spot long enough to learn it at all in addition to just being a rookie and making normal rookie mistakes.

Here are comments from Coach Fox regarding Davis...

link:

http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=20050

On moving first-round draft choice Thomas Davis back to safety from linebacker:

The last time we moved him was because of what we thought was going to be an extended injury to Brandon Short. Obviously, the injury to Colin Branch is going to be a lot more extended, unfortunately. So, we are going to move him back to strong safety.

On if Davis will remain at safety:

When he made the move to linebacker, I said there was a possibility he could end up back at safety. I will tell you the same thing this time. There is a possibility he could be back at linebacker again. It's a long season, and things happen. Fortunately for us, he's got that versatility.

On having Davis change positions two times in one week:

Playing linebacker last week didn't hurt him. He's still learning the defenses and getting out there playing. The tackling and playing blocks is all the same everywhere. It wasn't like he didn't practice all week. He was still playing football and hearing the defenses. Unfortunately, we've got to change him back. That just comes with the territory. I think he would have preferred being at safety if you asked him. So that's the plan now.

On if Idrees Bashir could be the starting strong safety:

He is there, and they are competing. It gives us numbers. These guys will take care of who starts. Right now, we are just trying to make sure we have numbers to pick our football team.

Safety / Linebacker, it all won't matter if T.Davis doesn't stop going for the kill hit only to whiff on the tackle entirely... a few times in the this past weekend's games he had some players dead to rights and totally came up with air...

Users who are viewing this thread