What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Davis (1 Viewer)

Weiner Dog

Footballguy
It's Feb 8th. If March 3rd arrives w/o a Will Witherspoon signing, the Panthers will have their new WLB in Davis.

The Davis meter is climbing...

Davis showed something this year in his limited opportunities - almost killed Terrance Murphy on special teams. He struggled a little in coverage from the SS position, but in a seek and destroy WLB role he should be right at home. I think Carolina knows he can excel at WLB and that gives them little incentive to open up the safe for Will. I'd be surprised if Davis didn't start the season as their WLB.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see him putting up Witherspoon type numbers with Morgan in the game. When Morgan goes out, we all know he will miss time, it will be interesting to see what he does. Will he go crazy like Spoon did or will he stay about the same?

I agree he likely will be the WLB.

Davis showed something this year in his limited opportunities - almost killed Terrance Murphy on special teams. He struggled a little in coverage from the SS position, but in a seek and destroy WLB role he should be right at home. I think Carolina knows he can excel at WLB and that gives them little incentive to open up the safe for Will. I'd be surprised if Davis didn't start the season as their WLB.
:goodposting: I love the phrase "seek and destroy" in that post. That is Davis's style to a T.

This thread makes me want to cry. I've been trying to pry Thomas Davis away from his owner for the last 4 months with no success. Once the inevitable happens I'm doomed to a lifetime of watching him produce on another team. :cry:

As a Davis owner, I'm watching this real close. This is the latest I've read on the situation.

2. Will Will Witherspoon be back?

Also high on the priority list — perhaps even higher than re-signing Foster — is getting a new contact for outside linebacker Will Witherspoon, the Panthers’ leading tackler over the past four seasons and an all-around great guy in the locker room.

But he’s likely going to look for Dan Morgan-type money (five years, $25 million) and the Panthers may not be willing to dish out that kind of dough when they have last year’s first-round draft pick Thomas Davis waiting in the wings.

Witherspoon, who is super close friends with Morgan, said his preference is to remain in Carolina but he’s unsure if that will happen.

Nonetheless, he sounded optimistic on Sunday that he will be back next year.

“I hope this was not my last game in a Panther uniform,” Witherspoon said. “It’s a long time from now until all of that kind of stuff gets worked out. So we’ll just go day-by-day.”

by Steve Reed

Gaston Gazette Sports Reporter

1/23/2006

I would be surprised to see Carolina sign Witherspoon, espcially with Davis in the picture and he looking more like a LB than safety.

As a Davis owner, I'm watching this real close. This is the latest I've read on the situation.

Also high on the priority list — perhaps even higher than re-signing Foster — is getting a new contact for outside linebacker Will Witherspoon, the Panthers’ leading tackler over the past four seasons and an all-around great guy in the locker room.

But he’s likely going to look for Dan Morgan-type money (five years, $25 million) and the Panthers may not be willing to dish out that kind of dough when they have last year’s first-round draft pick Thomas Davis waiting in the wings.

Witherspoon, who is super close friends with Morgan, said his preference is to remain in Carolina but he’s unsure if that will happen.

“I hope this was not my last game in a Panther uniform,” Witherspoon said. “It’s a long time from now until all of that kind of stuff gets worked out. So we’ll just go day-by-day.”

by Steve Reed

1/23/2006

I would be surprised to see Carolina sign Witherspoon, espcially with Davis in the picture and he looking more like a LB than safety.
:thumbup: I'm hoping the rumors of CAR's interest in Shaun Alexander also pushes Witherspoon further and further away from Panther country.

As a Davis owner, I'm watching this real close.  This is the latest I've read on the situation.

by Steve Reed

1/23/2006

:thumbup: I'm hoping the rumors of CAR's interest in Shaun Alexander also pushes Witherspoon further and further away from Panther country.
I heard a rumor that Carolina couldn't afford to sign Alexander and stay under the cap.

by Steve Reed

1/23/2006

I heard a rumor that Carolina couldn't afford to sign Alexander and stay under the cap.
As of today, you are 100% correct. However, a lot of cap room will be made available once Peppers restructures his mambo-jambo $15mm number for '06.

I'd take the Thomas Davis end of that equation. I really don't see Carolina being able to sign Witherspoon. Davis is going to explode once he finds his best position.

I'd take the Thomas Davis end of that equation. I really don't see Carolina being able to sign Witherspoon. Davis is going to explode once he finds his best position.
Man, I'm a huge Thomas Davis fan, but I don't think I'd trade Witherspoon for him...yet. If Witherspoon re-signs with CAR, TD may very well become the starting SLB. This will hurt his FF value. On the other hand, you are guaranteed that Witherspoon will be starting at WLB somewhere next year.I would say this...

If the offer is on the table AFTER free agency begins, I'd probably take the offer. However, if you need to make a decision now, I'd keep Witherspoon. There are too many invariables for the next three weeks.

In MFL last year, they had T.Davis listed as DB. In my league, LBs scoring has major advantage over DB. Does anyone know how MFL decides what position the player is listed as? If T.Davis is listed as DB in MFL, it will be a huge advantage to see him playing LB.

In MFL last year, they had T.Davis listed as DB. In my league, LBs scoring has major advantage over DB. Does anyone know how MFL decides what position the player is listed as? If T.Davis is listed as DB in MFL, it will be a huge advantage to see him playing LB.
IIRC, MFL position = teams depth chart position.

T-minus five days and the Davis freight will be leaving the port.

:popcorn:
:confused: The hype train begins again?I just acquired him in my main league, so I'm hoping Witherspoon moves on. He'll be a fearsome WLB.

I won't take a ride, but am hopeful.

Color me optomistic as well. ATM, he's my most expensive DB (auction/cap IDP start 2/2/2/flex), but would become a bargin LB

Dear God? It's me, Red...

link:

http://www.ffmastermind.com/quickbits.php

-- Panthers Release Stephen Davis, Buckner & Smart --

Wed Mar 1, 2006 --from FFMastermind.com

fantasy football AP reports the Carolina Panthers trimmed about $4 million off the salary cap Wednesday by releasing DT Brentson Buckner, RB Stephen Davis and RB/KR Rod Smart. The Panthers are still about $3 million over a salary cap that is projected to be about $95 million, pending developments in the ongoing labor talks between the NFL and the players union. They can reach that number through more cuts, or restructuring other contracts. Davis was HC John Fox's first major signing as head coach. He brought Davis to Carolina after seven productive seasons with the Washington Redskins and Davis instantly became the Panthers' featured back. He became the workhorse of the offense, setting a team record in 2003 with 1,444 yards rushing. But he missed most of last season with a knee injury that led to microfracture surgery and put his career in doubt. Although Davis returned at the start of last season and ran for a team-record 12 TDs, he averaged just 3.1 yards a carry. He eventually lost his starting job to DeShaun Foster and the Panthers placed him on injured reserve in December. Davis had a $3.8 million cap figure and was due a $1.05 million roster bonus Friday. Letting him go saves Carolina about $1.8 million toward the cap. The Panthers still have a lot of work to do to get under the cap and at a number that helps them negotiate with free agents when the signing period begins Friday. They'd like to re-sign OLB Will Witherspoon, SS Marlon McCree and C Jeff Mitchell, but financial concerns could make it difficult and Panthers GM Marty Hurney said he's not close to making a deal with any of them. Hurney can begin by looking at the contracts of several veterans, including SS Mike Minter, DE Julius Peppers and DE Mike Rucker, who is due a $500,000 roster bonus this week. Others due money this week are LB Brandon Short, who will be owed a $250,000 bonus, and LB Chris Draft, up for a $100,000 bonus.

:thumbup:

NFL.com wire reports

Panthers release Short; Minter reaches deal

NFL.com wire reports

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (March 2, 2006) -- The Carolina Panthers released linebacker Brandon Short as they continued to slash their payroll to meet the NFL's salary cap.

Short's dismissal saved the team almost $2 million, and safety Mike Minter finalized a restructure of his contract that gave Carolina a $1.7 million cushion.

Though Brandon Short departs, Mike Minter will be staying in Carolina.

The two moves, coupled with the March 1 $4 million cuts of veterans Brentson Buckner, Stephen Davis and Rod Smart, put the Panthers very close to the $94.5 million limit they must reach before the start of free agency.

The salary cap number could still change. It was set earlier when NFL owners voted to end talks with the players' union over a new contract. But later in the day, the league extended its deadline for free agency to begin by three days from March 3 to March 6.

It now gives the union 72 more hours to negotiate a contract extension to the labor agreement that could add about $10 million.

The Panthers are one of the many NFL teams that desperately need that added cushion.

If the cap is not adjusted, it will leave the Panthers little room to work with in their pursuit of free agents -- including re-signing several of their own players.

Linebacker Will Witherspoon is expected to test the free-agent market and as of now, the Panthers don't have much money to compete with potential suitors.

Short's release, coupled with Witherspoon's now probable departure, would leave Carolina with oft-injured Dan Morgan as the only returning starting linebacker. The Panthers would likely turn to Thomas Davis, a first-round draft pick last year who bounced around between safety and linebacker during training camp before settling into a hybrid role of both positions.

Short signed with Carolina in 2004 after spending four years with the New York Giants, where he played on John Fox's defense. He played in 32 regular season games, starting 18, the past two years.

He was due a $250,000 roster bonus March 3.

:popcorn:

say he was a FA in a 12 team dynasty(MFL). and this league had their rookie/FA draft a week after the draft, where would you take him?

say he was a FA in a 12 team dynasty(MFL). and this league had their rookie/FA draft a week after the draft, where would you take him?
It depends on your scoring system.If IDP's score favorably with your offensive players, I'd personally grab Davis late-first/early-second. If IDP's score considerably less than their offensive counterparts, I'd probably wait until mid-to-late 2nd.

Granted...this is all assuming Witherspoon does not resign and Davis is the heir-apparent to the Panther's WLB gig.

It depends on your scoring system.If IDP's score favorably with your offensive players, I'd personally grab Davis late-first/early-second. If IDP's score considerably less than their offensive counterparts, I'd probably wait until mid-to-late 2nd.

Granted...this is all assuming Witherspoon does not resign and Davis is the heir-apparent to the Panther's WLB gig.
1pt for tackle/assist, 2pts for pass defenses and fumble recoveries, 4 pts for sacks, 5 pts for interceptions and forced fumbles, and 6 pts for TDs

1pt for tackle/assist, 2pts for pass defenses and fumble recoveries, 4 pts for sacks, 5 pts for interceptions and forced fumbles, and 6 pts for TDs
How does this compare with the offense?? Do RB's score 150 or 350 pts per season?? QB's?? WR's?? TE's??In your draft, the following players will probably get drafted before Davis...

QB: Leinhart, Young, Cutler

RB: Bush, D Williams, White, Maroney, Addai (maybe)

WR: Holmes, C Jackson, Moss

TE: V Davis, Pope (maybe), Lewis (maybe)

LB: Hawk, Sims (maybe), Greenway (maybe)

DL: M Williams

DB: Huff (maybe...if he's a safety)

Let's assume a few players fall into tough situations (think Jason Campbell, Mike Williams or David Pollack from last year). This will probably allow Davis to settle into the late 1st or early 2nd, assuming your IDP's score comparably with offensive players. If the IDP's in your league do not score comparably, you'll see guys like Addai and Pope easily leap-frog Davis in the draft. You may even see guys like Omar Jacobs, Brian Calhoun and Mercedes Lewis get drafted before Davis (...or any IDP for that matter).

How does this compare with the offense?? Do RB's score 150 or 350 pts per season?? QB's?? WR's?? TE's??In your draft, the following players will probably get drafted before Davis...

QB: Leinhart, Young, Cutler

RB: Bush, D Williams, White, Maroney, Addai (maybe)

WR: Holmes, C Jackson, Moss

TE: V Davis, Pope (maybe), Lewis (maybe)

LB: Hawk, Sims (maybe), Greenway (maybe)

DL: M Williams

DB: Huff (maybe...if he's a safety)

Let's assume a few players fall into tough situations (think Jason Campbell, Mike Williams or David Pollack from last year). This will probably allow Davis to settle into the late 1st or early 2nd, assuming your IDP's score comparably with offensive players. If the IDP's in your league do not score comparably, you'll see guys like Addai and Pope easily leap-frog Davis in the draft. You may even see guys like Omar Jacobs, Brian Calhoun and Mercedes Lewis get drafted before Davis (...or any IDP for that matter).
:goodposting: I like good young IDPs as much as anyone, but in my leagues, DJ was around the #20 player taken last year, Hawk/Mario should be around that this year, Hawk could push a little higher. I sure wouldn't take Davis over Hawk, but the only IDPs I'd take over Davis are Huff, Hawk and Mario.

Lineups make a huge difference, in this league we start the full 11, if you only start a couple per position, I wouldn't even look at IDP until much later.

Linebacker Will Witherspoon is expected to test the free-agent market and as of now, the Panthers don't have much money to compete with potential suitors.
:hijacked: Hypothetically, if the Vikings signed Witherspoon, wouldn't he most likely play SLB? I believe both Newman and Cowart are UFAs.

From panthers.scout.com: (http://panthers.scout.com/2/505735.html)

... the Panthers do expect last year's first-round draft pick Thomas Davis to step in and start this season

1 (14) Thomas Davis, S/LB: The Panthers expect him to step in and start either at safety or outside linebacker after a learning year in 2005. Davis struggled early on picking up the defensive scheme in training camp (that's partially the team's fault because they kept moving him back and forth between two positions) and was benched in Week 1, never to regain his starting job. He still has excellent potential, and great speed.

looks like its 'spoon to the rams as of this moment. let the Thomas Davis reign of terror on the weak side begin!

by Steve Reed

1/23/2006

As of today, you are 100% correct. However, a lot of cap room will be made available once Peppers restructures his mambo-jambo $15mm number for '06.
Panthers | Peppers' new deal saves $3.5 millionSat, 11 Mar 2006 05:58:05 -0800

Pat Yasinskas, of the Charlotte Observer, reports Carolina Panthers DE Julius Peppers' 2006 salary cap number dropped from $14.8 million to $11.3 million when he restructured his contract.

The position question is now over. Witherspoon signs with the Rams. Davis will become the stud those who drafted (or traded for) had hoped for.

The best scenario is if T.Davis plays an Archeleta/Harrison type roll... is listed as a safety but plays alot of the game in the box with the LBs... a safety cranking out LB fantasy stats is where his value really would sky rocket.

Confirmed as an OLB...

link:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rs/14219241.htm

Q. After the departures of Will Witherspoon and Brandon Short, how do you look at the outside linebacker spots?

We still haven't decided yet who will play where. But as far as the move (Davis) from safety up to linebacker, that's a decision we've made. Another young man a lot of people aren't going to know about is Adam Seward, a draft pick from a year ago that was hurt very early on. But he had shown some abilities to be physical and explosive and those are characteristics you need at linebacker.

That's an area where we'll continue to look in free agency as we move forward and also target in the draft.

Q. Injuries forced you to move Davis between safety and linebacker last season. Did that make it difficult on him as a rookie?

If anything, we did him an injustice moving him back and forth. It's a team game and we've got to do what's best for the team. That might have hurt his growth, but he's a guy we're counting on doing some big things this year. Our belief right now is that his best position is linebacker.

Confirmed as an OLB...

link:

http://www.charlotte.com/mld/charlotte/spo...rs/14219241.htm

Q. After the departures of Will Witherspoon and Brandon Short, how do you look at the outside linebacker spots?

We still haven't decided yet who will play where. But as far as the move (Davis) from safety up to linebacker, that's a decision we've made. Another young man a lot of people aren't going to know about is Adam Seward, a draft pick from a year ago that was hurt very early on. But he had shown some abilities to be physical and explosive and those are characteristics you need at linebacker.

That's an area where we'll continue to look in free agency as we move forward and also target in the draft.

Q. Injuries forced you to move Davis between safety and linebacker last season. Did that make it difficult on him as a rookie?

If anything, we did him an injustice moving him back and forth. It's a team game and we've got to do what's best for the team. That might have hurt his growth, but he's a guy we're counting on doing some big things this year. Our belief right now is that his best position is linebacker.
I will assume that they made the decision to move him and NOT to keep him at S. This bodes well for all of us who waited patiently through his rookie campaign.Tom

so does seward have the inside track on the SLB for this yr &/or is he the future at MLB since Dan "I got a boo boo again" Morgan isnt the least fragile person in the world

Some notes on the prospects of the Panther LB corps from the Rock Hill Herald...

http://www.buzzfans.com/sports/spcol2/stor...p-5032923c.html

Moves free up Morgan

By Darin Gantt The Herald (updated 3-19-06)

CHARLOTTE -- If the Carolina Panthers plan works, opposing offensive linemen will barely see daylight, but Dan Morgan will.

Of all the upsides to the recent acquisitions of defensive tackles Maake Kemoeatu and Damione Lewis (to team with Kris Jenkins), perhaps the biggest will be the clear lanes to run for Morgan, the Panthers middle linebacker.

In a perfect world, that makes him more productive, and possibly a little healthier.

"I think it's huge, even though I don't know how to pronounce his name yet," Morgan said with a laugh of the early addition of Kemoeatu. "For me it's only going to help having two big guys in front of me, because that's keeping a guard or a center off of me and letting me run around."

That's exactly when Morgan's been at his best, when he's got space to get to ballcarriers. If Kemoeatu and Jenkins start as expected, there will be better than 700 pounds between Morgan and those opposing linemen.

While there's not necessarily a direct correlation, he also hopes staying out of traffic helps keep him on the field, which has been the only negative in his career so far. He missed three starts last year because of shoulder and ankle injuries last year, the low total in his five years with the team. He's missed a total of 25 starts in five years.

"My nemesis has just been staying injury free," Morgan said. "I'm training harder than I ever have this offseason though, so hopefully everything comes together for me."

• SPEAKING OF LBs: In the wake of Will Witherspoon's departure for St. Louis, the Panthers suddenly have two openings on either side of Morgan.

Thomas Davis will probably fall into the weakside where Witherspoon used to play, but the answer to the vacancy on the strongside (where cap casualty Brandon Short was) might already be on the roster. Adam Seward, last year's fifth-round pick who was just starting to play when he broke his foot, may well work with the first team when they convene for minicamp.

The Panthers could still sign a veteran for insurance, but they like having Chris Draft in that role behind Morgan -- and the rest of the linebackers, really.

A Davis-Morgan-Seward lineup would be inexperienced, sure, but it would also put three players they believe to be playmakers out there.

New faces at the position are hardly new, as the Panthers haven't played consecutive seasons with the same player on the strongside since they switched to a 4-3 defense in 1999. Short and Mark Fields split time there in 2004, Greg Favors manned it in 2003, Fields in 2002, Morgan in 2001, Dean Wells in 2000 and Kevin Greene finished up his career there in 1999.

OK ... here's the scenario. I've been after Thomas Davis for all of last year but his owner simply won't trade him to me. This guy has a gaping hole at Defensive Line and also has Clinton Portis. I've got Ladell Betts and several linemen. We don't have offseason roster limits so I have multiple players at DL that I likely won't keep as we get closer to the season. So, given the scenario above, what do you think is fair for Davis?

Ladell Betts and one of the following:

- Rod Coleman

- Mike Rucker

- Kyle Van Den Bosch

- Will Smith

- Darrion Scott

- Cornelius Griffin

- Andre Carter

- Jerome McDougle

- Darren Howard.

I listed all of my DL. There are some that I wouldn't consider in this deal but I wanted you to see all the choices.

TIA

OK ... here's the scenario. I've been after Thomas Davis for all of last year but his owner simply won't trade him to me. This guy has a gaping hole at Defensive Line and also has Clinton Portis. I've got Ladell Betts and several linemen. We don't have offseason roster limits so I have multiple players at DL that I likely won't keep as we get closer to the season. So, given the scenario above, what do you think is fair for Davis?

- Rod Coleman

- Mike Rucker

- Kyle Van Den Bosch

- Will Smith

- Darrion Scott

- Cornelius Griffin

- Andre Carter

- Jerome McDougle

- Darren Howard.

I listed all of my DL. There are some that I wouldn't consider in this deal but I wanted you to see all the choices.

TIA
a DL is a DL and i like Smith best of your group but i dont think the TD owner would or should jump at a betts/DL for TDTD could very well be a top 5 LB this yr you dont trade that for a DL and a handcuff

OK ... here's the scenario.  I've been after Thomas Davis for all of last year but his owner simply won't trade him to me.  This guy has a gaping hole at Defensive Line and also has Clinton Portis.  I've got Ladell Betts and several linemen.  We don't have offseason roster limits so I have multiple players at DL that I likely won't keep as we get closer to the season.  So, given the scenario above, what do you think is fair for Davis?

- Rod Coleman

- Mike Rucker

- Kyle Van Den Bosch

- Will Smith

- Darrion Scott

- Cornelius Griffin

- Andre Carter

- Jerome McDougle

- Darren Howard.

I listed all of my DL.  There are some that I wouldn't consider in this deal but I wanted you to see all the choices. 

TIA
a DL is a DL and i like Smith best of your group but i dont think the TD owner would or should jump at a betts/DL for TDTD could very well be a top 5 LB this yr you dont trade that for a DL and a handcuff
I consider myself pretty high on Davis but I don't see him as a top 5 LB. We're still talking potential here and Davis has yet to realize it. I'm fully confident he will but I'd hesitate to trade a top notch lineman (which I consider Smith to be) for him. In fact, I think Smith has a better chance of finishing top 5 in his category than Davis does. I realize the top 5 LB'ers will grossly outscore the top 5 DL but I think giving up Smith in this case is a pretty steep price.Regardless, thanks for your opinion.

OK ... here's the scenario.  I've been after Thomas Davis for all of last year but his owner simply won't trade him to me.  This guy has a gaping hole at Defensive Line and also has Clinton Portis.  I've got Ladell Betts and several linemen.  We don't have offseason roster limits so I have multiple players at DL that I likely won't keep as we get closer to the season.  So, given the scenario above, what do you think is fair for Davis?

- Rod Coleman

- Mike Rucker

- Kyle Van Den Bosch

- Will Smith

- Darrion Scott

- Cornelius Griffin

- Andre Carter

- Jerome McDougle

- Darren Howard.

I listed all of my DL.  There are some that I wouldn't consider in this deal but I wanted you to see all the choices. 

TIA
Depends on the scoring in your system. If sacks score well in your system, then a sack producing DL like Coleman or Smith most likely has MORE value relative to the average DL than Davis has to the average LB. If it's more of a straight up scoring between the two, then, DL becomes an after-thought position and you really rely on your LBs for your scoring.But, I do not see Davis jumping into top 5, and personally, think he will not see top 10. I like him a lot. He was a playmaker a Georgia as they allowed him to roam and make plays in a hybrid saftey/linebacker kind of position. But, locking him down at WLB and asking him to play the position, I think you can look for his production to be comparable but slightly better (based on talent and big plays) than his predecessor. But, as you can see, Davis is getting a lot of hype and it's tough to buy a guy with such a high value perception.

- Rod Coleman

- Mike Rucker

- Kyle Van Den Bosch

- Will Smith

- Darrion Scott

- Cornelius Griffin

- Andre Carter

- Jerome McDougle

- Darren Howard.

TIA
Honestly, I don't know that "fair" enters into this equation. All of Davis' current value lies in potential and every owner will value that potential differently.I think you have to decide exactly how badly you want Davis and offer accordingly. Meaning, I'm not willing to move X and Y DL but any of the others.

An owner who has held Davis through last season's uselessness almost certainly sees the potential as well. I'd need to know your LB corps to be certain, but I'm high enough on him to consider trading almost any DL for him. You can mine the wire for this season's Jared Allen, KVB, etc, etc. But I'd have a hard time trading Will Smith for him - he's already fulfilled the potential you hope Davis will.

a DL is a DL and i like Smith best of your group but i dont think the TD owner would or should jump at a betts/DL for TD

TD could very well be a top 5 LB this yr you dont trade that for a DL and a handcuff
I agree about the other owner not trading, maybe he'll just wait for you to purge and he can pick up the scraps.But I also think a lot of us are jumping the gun with Davis' value.

everyone seems to have missed that i said

"could very well be..." I didnt say he would be but pointed out his upside and if that other owner thinks he has that sorta upside then I dont care if you are offering a top 3 DL he most likely isnt gonna bite....and fwiw I think Will Smith has a very good shot at being top 5 this yr

- Rod Coleman

- Mike Rucker

- Kyle Van Den Bosch

- Will Smith

- Darrion Scott

- Cornelius Griffin

- Andre Carter

- Jerome McDougle

- Darren Howard.

TIA
Honestly, I don't know that "fair" enters into this equation. All of Davis' current value lies in potential and every owner will value that potential differently.I think you have to decide exactly how badly you want Davis and offer accordingly. Meaning, I'm not willing to move X and Y DL but any of the others.

An owner who has held Davis through last season's uselessness almost certainly sees the potential as well. I'd need to know your LB corps to be certain, but I'm high enough on him to consider trading almost any DL for him. You can mine the wire for this season's Jared Allen, KVB, etc, etc. But I'd have a hard time trading Will Smith for him - he's already fulfilled the potential you hope Davis will.
Sacks are 4 points, solo's 1, assists .5.Will Smith finished 14th among linemen in my league a year ago. Barring injury I can't see him doing worse this year.

My LB's: Vilma, Farrior, Crowder, Marshall, Thornton and Leroy Hill. I picked up Dashon Polk in the offseason too but I can't see him making the roster. We have flex starting lineups 2-3 at DL/LB and DB. So pretty much every week I start 3 LB's.

I'd be thrilled if I could package Rucker and Betts for TD. However I doubt he'll do this. He already knows I've been after Davis for a while so that doesn't helkp my cause.

Sorry for the threadjack.

[

Sacks are 4 points, solo's 1, assists .5.

Will Smith finished 14th among linemen in my league a year ago. Barring injury I can't see him doing worse this year.

My LB's: Vilma, Farrior, Crowder, Marshall, Thornton and Leroy Hill. I picked up Dashon Polk in the offseason too but I can't see him making the roster. We have flex starting lineups 2-3 at DL/LB and DB. So pretty much every week I start 3 LB's.

I'd be thrilled if I could package Rucker and Betts for TD. However I doubt he'll do this. He already knows I've been after Davis for a while so that doesn't helkp my cause.

Sorry for the threadjack.
How many times have you tried to get him?

I think Carolina needs to decide what position they really want him at. The transition to the NFL is hard enough when playing the one spot, but to have to alternate or learn completely new assignments can diminish a players instincts and thus his talent/playmaking ability. Yes, he's got talent, but Safeties and LB'ers have very different roles...

Wonder what was his wonderlick score was? ;)

I think Carolina needs to decide what position they really want him at. The transition to the NFL is hard enough when playing the one spot, but to have to alternate or learn completely new assignments can diminish a players instincts and thus his talent/playmaking ability. Yes, he's got talent, but Safeties and LB'ers have very different roles...

Wonder what was his wonderlick score was? ;)
Thomas* Davis, FS, GeorgiaSelected: Round 1, Pick 14, Overall Pick 14 by Panthers

Name: Thomas* Davis

College: Georgia Number: 10

Height: 6-1 Weight: 230

Position: FS Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Jr/2005

40 Time: 4.60

Projected Round: 1 Stock:

Rated number 1 out of 76 FS's 19 / 1451 TOTAL

Combine Results

Combine Invite? yes

Height: 6010

Weight: 230

40 Yrd Dash: 4.60

20 Yrd Dash: 2.71

10 Yrd Dash: 1.64

Wonderlic: 19

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 36 1/2

Broad Jump: 9'7"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01

3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/22/2005

Height: 6010

Weight: 230

40 Yrd Dash: 4.52

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

... guess he will sack VYoung 3 times (19/6)... or is that once? (19/16)... ;)

Users who are viewing this thread