What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Davis (1 Viewer)

I think Carolina needs to decide what position they really want him at.  The transition to the NFL is hard enough when playing the one spot, but to have to alternate or learn completely new assignments can diminish a players instincts and thus his talent/playmaking ability.  Yes, he's got talent, but Safeties and LB'ers have very different roles...

Wonder what was his wonderlick score was?  ;)
Thomas* Davis, FS, GeorgiaSelected: Round 1, Pick 14, Overall Pick 14 by Panthers

Name: Thomas* Davis

College: Georgia Number: 10

Height: 6-1 Weight: 230

Position: FS Pos2:

Class/Draft Year: Jr/2005

40 Time: 4.60

Projected Round: 1 Stock:

Rated number 1 out of 76 FS's 19 / 1451 TOTAL

Combine Results

Combine Invite? yes

Height: 6010

Weight: 230

40 Yrd Dash: 4.60

20 Yrd Dash: 2.71

10 Yrd Dash: 1.64

Wonderlic: 19

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump: 36 1/2

Broad Jump: 9'7"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.01

3-Cone Drill: 7.10

Pro Day Results

Dates: 03/22/2005

Height: 6010

Weight: 230

40 Yrd Dash: 4.52

20 Yrd Dash:

10 Yrd Dash:

225 Lb. Bench Reps:

Vertical Jump:

Broad Jump:

20 Yrd Shuttle:

3-Cone Drill:

... guess he will sack VYoung 3 times (19/6)... or is that once? (19/16)... ;)
LOL! That's a good one!

As a Thomas Davis dynasty owner I have been checking this thread every now and then both as I am interested and as activity in IDP threads are somewhat limited. But there has been a total of 1970 views on this thread - far more than any on the first page on the board (barring the 2 LB draft and dynasty threads). I can not believe the interest on him.

If this hype goes on the way it is, I have a feeling I will be able to ship him straight up for a RB1 in a couple of months. Keep it up guys.

If this hype goes on the way it is, I have a feeling I will be able to ship him straight up for a RB1 in a couple of months. Keep it up guys.
LOL, put the drink down or step away from what ever is being smoked! ;)

[

Sacks are 4 points, solo's 1, assists .5.

Will Smith finished 14th among linemen in my league a year ago.  Barring injury I can't see him doing worse this year. 

My LB's:  Vilma, Farrior, Crowder, Marshall, Thornton and Leroy Hill.  I picked up Dashon Polk in the offseason too but I can't see him making the roster.  We have flex starting lineups 2-3 at DL/LB and DB.  So pretty much every week I start 3 LB's.

I'd be thrilled if I could package Rucker and Betts for TD.  However I doubt he'll do this.  He already knows I've been after Davis for a while so that doesn't helkp my cause.

Sorry for the threadjack.
How many times have you tried to get him?
Twice last season

:unsure:

Panthers sign Keith Adams

Panthers sign new linebacker

The Carolina Panthers have signed linebacker Keith Adams. A six-year NFL veteran, Adams most recently played for Philadelphia.

He's a Clemson product who is expected to compete with Thomas Davis and Adam Seward for the outside linebacker spot. - Pat Yasinskas

Anytime you can sign a former starter for depth, it's a quality inking. Adams is simply depth in the event Davis' leg gets amputated in the next 4-5 months.

:yes:

I know I probably shouldn't, but I just couldn't resist....

:stirspot:
:ph34r: Sshhh...this signing puts a little scare into me. If Adams was indeed signed to start at OLB, I would be shocked to see the 5'11" 223lb former Eagle at SLB.

Dare I say ~ Thomas Davis at SLB ??

Adams is a quality special teamer. The Eagles decided to go with one-legged Shawn Barber rather than try to re-sign their "starter". The only threat to Thomas Davis at this point is Davis himself.

Adams is a quality special teamer. The Eagles decided to go with one-legged Shawn Barber rather than try to re-sign their "starter". The only threat to Thomas Davis at this point is Davis himself.
Yeah, WD, I really was just stirring the pot. As I said in the Keith Adams discussions from a couple of weeks back, I firmly believe what cracKer believes. Adams is a special teamer who will provide depth. No way the Eagles let him go if he's any kind of starting talent. They had a gaping hole there.The Panthers liked what they saw out of Adam Seward last year before his injury. I don't see Davis having the impact they say he will and they drafted him to have sucking up a blocker on the strong side.

This signing shouldn't impact Davis at all.

Panthers sign Adams; Manning leaves Chicago without deal

By Darin Gantt The Herald

(Published April 14‚ 2006)

CHARLOTTE -- The Carolina Panthers added the veteran presence they needed for their linebacking corps, signing Keith Adams to a two-year deal on Thursday.

Terms of the contract weren't disclosed, but the Clemson product will lend some stability to a unit expected to rely heavily on young players.

Restricted free agent cornerback Ricky Manning Jr. wrapped up his visit to Chicago, but left without signing an offer sheet. The Bears have until April 21 to make offers on restricted free agents, and the Panthers would have seven days to match. If they didn't, they'd get the Bears' third-round pick (88th overall) in this year's draft.

The 26-year-old Adams will add a strong presence to the Panthers' special teams. The potential exists for much more.

Panthers general manager Marty Hurney said he felt like Adams was able to play both outside linebacker spots, and would get a chance to compete for a starting job. Last year's first-rounder, Thomas Davis, will occupy one of them (likely the strong side) while Adams and Adam Seward will likely be fighting for the other.

Adams is a seasoned player who can fill in as needed, or be a productive starter who becomes part of the core on special teams.

For now, Manning's still part of that equation, although his days could be short.

His agent, James Ivler, said he didn't expect an offer sheet immediately, since many teams like to wait until near the deadline to put pressure on the player's original team. Ivler said that since Manning arrived in Chicago on Wednesday, other teams had called expressing interest, but added, "Chicago is a particular interest to us.

"Ricky had a good visit, he feels comfortable there, feels comfortable with the coaches and the situation."

Manning would likely compete for a starting job with Charles Tillman, but his presence there probably indicates an inside track. He never complained about being demoted last year when the Panthers signed Ken Lucas to a $36.5 million contract, but has insisted that he sees himself as a starting-caliber corner.

The Bears are expected to make the offer sheet soon, and given that Manning would be an unrestricted free agent next year and wants a chance to start, the Panthers likely view it as an opportunity to get something for him while they can.

Darin Gantt

article

:rant:

Carolina should draft Carpenter to play on the strong side. That would free Davis up to play where he will be best utilized at WLB. That would be a solid LB group with Morgan in the middle. Carpenter is also a guy that could be groomed to eventually replace Morgan.

Davis on the SLB is a misappropriation of talent, opinion. He had technique problems in coverage last year, which is to say he turns his hips earlier and more often than any other player, which translates to out of position; turned the wrong way and 6 the other way. Roy Williams is a close second. Sorry, 31, but nobody bites harder on a pump fake and this comes from a fellow Sooner.

Now, a writer suggest Davis is going to play over the TE and be responsible in pass coverage? You put Davis back into a situation where his weakness can be exploited. WLB...Davis becomes a problem to an OC. SLB...Davis becomes a problem for the DC, opinion. I don't see it.

I read the bolded statement in parenthesis as Gantt's opinion not something stated by Hurney. Writer appears to be interjecting his view into the middle of Hurney's thoughts.

I do agree Carpenter would be a nice fit.

Also, I think the signing is for depth and security. Rumor has it that Morgan has already suffered a Week 1 concussion. Not sure how he folded the time/space continuum but that's what I hear.

Rumor has it that Morgan has already suffered a Week 1 concussion.  Not sure how he folded the time/space continuum but that's what I hear.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Two other points and then I'm going to try to wean myself from the Thomas Davis discussion. Which will be difficult since I'm writing up the Panthers for FBG this season :P .

First, putting Adam Seward and his 255lb and 4.75 speed should not be an option. Now if the writer is just writing in a confusing way of suggesting it'll either be Davis WLB/Seward SLB or Davis SLB/Adams WLB, fine. But Seward ain't playing Will.

Second, the Panthers do have a history of using undersized players with strong blitzing skills at SLB successfully. Mark Fields fit that role some years ago.

I still believe it'll be Seward/Morgan/Davis with Adams as depth and maybe a rookie thrown into the mix as well. Minicamp starts May 5th.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see Adams more for depth and special teams play. Will Draft just be backup for Morgan or does he have a shot at SLB?

I read the bolded statement in parenthesis as Gantt's opinion not something stated by Hurney. Writer appears to be interjecting his view into the middle of Hurney's thoughts.

Thats the way I took it also.

OK...we just received a little breathing room on Davis' value. Diggs is more than capable to start on the strong-side.

Panthers | Team signs Diggs

Thu, 20 Apr 2006 18:13:08 -0700

Pat Sutherland, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Carolina Panthers have signed free agent LB Na'il Diggs (Packers) to an undisclosed contract.

OK...we just received a little breathing room on Davis' value. Diggs is more than capable to start on the strong-side.

Pat Sutherland, of the Charlotte Observer, reports the Carolina Panthers have signed free agent LB Na'il Diggs (Packers) to an undisclosed contract.
Yes sir.....this is real good news for us Davis owners. Diggs, Draft and Seward could battle for SLB. :boxing:

OK...we just received a little breathing room on Davis' value.  Diggs is more than capable to start on the strong-side.

Yes sir.....this is real good news for us Davis owners. Diggs, Draft and Seward could battle for SLB. :boxing:
Glad everyone isn't reading into all of this. :2cents: I don't know but until Mr Davis actually shows that he can handle the duties and until the coaching staff actually says Davis is the starting WLB then most of this thread is spinning things to meet what they want done.

OK...we just received a little breathing room on Davis' value.  Diggs is more than capable to start on the strong-side.

Glad everyone isn't reading into all of this. :2cents: I don't know but until Mr Davis actually shows that he can handle the duties and until the coaching staff actually says Davis is the starting WLB then most of this thread is spinning things to meet what they want done.
You're such a buzzkill. ;) The IDP forum currently holds man love for Thomas Davis and Odell Thurman. Actually, they should both probably be referred to as Mr Davis and Mr Thurman as your post gently reminded us.

:P

Somebody always has to rain on our parade :shrug:

The classic "buy high, sell low" approach. This approach should net you Joey Galloway and Mike Anderson in your upcoming draft. :rolleyes:

My :2cents: believes Car. is grabbing available LBs so during training camp they can mix and match to find the best combination possible. The more LBs they acquire, the better chance I feel that Mr. Davis moves back to SS. Which makes him an even better value than if he is a LB. Figuring you always need to have +1 deep of solid talent at LB and safeties to cover injuries.

I will refuse to take off my rose colored glasses till I see Mr. Davis in the opening game lineups listed as a LB... lol (or maybe once MFL updates his position... doh!)

I didn't figure my post would be popular. :lol: Figured that there was just to much man love going on here and needed to break it up a bit with some reality.

They cannot just hand the job over to Davis, he'll get overconfident and lazy. Bring in Diggs and Adams, two previous starters at his position in the past, and maybe it'll bring out his best.

maybe

They cannot just hand the job over to Davis, he'll get overconfident and lazy. Bring in Diggs and Adams, two previous starters at his position in the past, and maybe it'll bring out his best.

maybe
Thats the first I've heard that Davis has a poor work ethic. :confused:

maybe
I'm not saying that he does, but the road to contentedness may begin with an unchallenged starting gig.

maybe
I'm not saying that he does, but the road to contentedness may begin with an unchallenged starting gig.
When I read scouting reports and see poor work ethtic, pretty much the first thing that comes to my mind: this guy is lazy. Obviously, we view poor work ethic different.I don't think over confidence is gonna be an issue. He has alot to prove and he knows it. Being the competitor that he is, lazy would be out of charactor.

Now... he may never settle into a position and not live up to the hype, but I doubt it will be because he is over confident and lazy.

My :2cents: believes Car. is grabbing available LBs so during training camp they can mix and match to find the best combination possible. The more LBs they acquire, the better chance I feel that Mr. Davis moves back to SS. Which makes him an even better value than if he is a LB. Figuring you always need to have +1 deep of solid talent at LB and safeties to cover injuries.

I will refuse to take off my rose colored glasses till I see Mr. Davis in the opening game lineups listed as a LB... lol (or maybe once MFL updates his position... doh!)
It appears to be a safe bet he's a LBQ&A With John Fox

PAT YASINSKAS

Staff Writer

March 30, 2006

TODD SUMLIN, tsumlin@charlotteobserver.com

Panthers head coach John Fox spoke candidly with the Observer's Pat Yasinskas about his high hopes for linebacker Thomas Davis and running back DeShaun Foster, the upcoming draft and a variety of other topics.

ORLANDO, Fla. - John Fox spoke almost continuously for one hour and seven minutes and never once said, "It is what it is."

So what was it?

This is the offseason version of the coach of the Carolina Panthers. The dancing around questions about injuries and strategy, so common in the regular season, was absent. As he had breakfast Wednesday at the NFL's annual spring meeting, Fox spoke candidly with the Observer's Pat Yasinskas about his high hopes for linebacker Thomas Davis and running back DeShaun Foster, the upcoming draft and a variety of other topics.

Here are the highlights:

Q. After the departures of Will Witherspoon and Brandon Short, how do you look at the outside linebacker spots?

We still haven't decided yet who will play where. But as far as the move (Davis) from safety up to linebacker, that's a decision we've made. Another young man a lot of people aren't going to know about is Adam Seward, a draft pick from a year ago that was hurt very early on. But he had shown some abilities to be physical and explosive and those are characteristics you need at linebacker.

That's an area where we'll continue to look in free agency as we move forward and also target in the draft.

Q. Injuries forced you to move Davis between safety and linebacker last season. Did that make it difficult on him as a rookie?

If anything, we did him an injustice moving him back and forth. It's a team game and we've got to do what's best for the team. That might have hurt his growth, but he's a guy we're counting on doing some big things this year. Our belief right now is that his best position is linebacker.

Link to article below

Q&A with John Fox

Hey, I know some do not understand the man love with T. Davis. I get it but a small request. Moving forward we need nothing but good mojo and vibes in here for one T. Davis.

Ran across this....

· EARLY LOOK: Keith Adams lined up with the starters at weakside linebacker Friday, though team officials insist it would be a mistake to read too much into depth charts at this stage. Fellow free agent pickup Na'il Diggs worked with the second team.

Those two are competing for the one available spot, since Thomas Davis was working on the strongside spot formerly held by Mark Fields -- whose old number 58 jersey he's now filling.

link

I am trying to get Davis. I have been offered:

Rookie Pick 15 (8 team league) and Davis

For

Rookie Pick 9

Think picking up Davis is worth 6 slots? Is he now going to be the SLB?

Think picking up Davis is worth 6 slots?  Is he now going to be the SLB?
depends on what you need and what is available. he is expected to take over the WLB job vacated by Witherspoon and should be very productive. But, I have no idea how valuable LBs are in your league and how much value you lose by dropping those 6 spots in the rookie draft.

I am trying to get Davis.  I have been offered:

For

Rookie Pick 9

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt it. His coverage skills aren't great. I doubt they have him where he needs to cover TE's.

101 solos

27 assists

7.5 sacks

1 interception and 6 passes defensed

Not bad....

Fields put up these numbers in 2002 at SLB.

When Morgan went down with his perennial injury and Witherspoon moved inside, gamebook shows Fields remained at SLB.

If Davis plays sam, it may not be as bad as we think

For

Rookie Pick 9

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I doubt it. His coverage skills aren't great. I doubt they have him where he needs to cover TE's.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TD's coverage skills were considered below-average as a DB......as a LB, his coverage skills will be considered above-average.

The best coverage LB in the NFL would be lucky to have an average-coverage billing as a DB.

For

Rookie Pick 9

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
TD's coverage skills were considered below-average as a DB......as a LB, his coverage skills will be considered above-average.

The best coverage LB in the NFL would be lucky to have an average-coverage billing as a DB.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least you would think so :P

There was a time I thought Davis would play will, not anymore ... be prepared for him to be the SLB.

BTW ... his number has been changed from 47 to 58.

Hey, I know some do not understand the man love with T. Davis.  I get it but a small request.  Moving forward we need nothing but good mojo and vibes in here for one T. Davis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys...Good mojo...positive thoughts for former player #47. As the Jets management and marketing folks along with C. Martin say, let's keep things positive. It's just mini-camp.

:tinyprayer:

On a serious note...

Rozelle, thanks for the diligence on the matter of T. Davis. You keep coming up with good stuff.

There's more to Davis now

May 7, 2006

By Brett Borden

Panthers.com

Day by day, and practice by practice, the game of football is slowing down for second year linebacker Thomas Davis, and that is a big difference from one year ago.

Drafted as a safety out of Georgia in the first round of the 2005 NFL Draft, Davis started out there in mini camp. He stayed there for summer school sessions and then the beginning of training camp. But when a rash of injuries hit the linebacker position, he was shifted closer to the line of scrimmage. Then, when the linebackers got healthy again, Davis was moved back to the secondary.

Davis, who recorded 28 tackles, 1.5 sacks and two forced fumbles as a rookie, struggled early on learning where to be at what time, and thus spent much of the 2005 season watching and learning from the sideline. He says that wasn't all bad.

"Last season, watching everybody from the sideline helped me more than anything else," said Davis. "I felt like I was a guy who could come in and compete, but I wasn't as prepared for this League as I needed to be. This year I'm really trying to maintain a good focus to make sure I'm ready."

When Carolina originally selected Davis, the coaching staff had envisioned him playing linebacker down the road anyway. With the departure of stalwart Will Witherspoon, that road got a lot shorter, and so Davis has spent this offseason getting a little bigger.

"You have to get your weight up to get down in that box and play with these guys," said Davis. "That's one thing I've been focusing on this offseason. Last year I had to weigh in at around 227. Right now I'm up to about 235. It was a target weight that the strength and conditioning coach (Jerry Simmons) and I set, so I'm going to try to stay around this weight. I'm just trying to make the transition a lot easier for myself."

While the shifting around last season made if more difficult to pick up the defense for Davis, it is helping him now that he has had time to absorb it, he says.

"The stuff that I did last season, coming in with different packages, really helped me out a lot," he said. "I'm a lot better (at pass coverage). I learned a lot last season from Mike Minter. We have Ken Lucas and Chris Gamble that helped, too. I feel like I'm going to take that knowledge with me to linebacker and make it work for me."

Davis' weight isn't the only thing that has increased. His jersey number has gone from 47 to 58. He was asked if the new number might mean a permanent home at linebacker, since there aren't any safeties wearing 58 in the NFL.

"There weren't any 47 linebackers, either," said Davis, laughing. "I wasn't able to wear 47 this year, so (58) was the next best thing. We still consider Mark Fields a part of the team around here, though, so I had to make sure it was okay with him for me to wear this number. I'm just going to go out there and try to play something like he did."

Davis says he still has a way to go before feeling like he has the new position down, but he has a plan to ask for some friendly advice in achieving that goal.

"I'm not as ready as I need to be, but by the time the season starts, I definitely feel like I'll be ready for it. I've been talking with Dan (Morgan) a lot. When we break after summer school, I'll be meeting with (fellow Georgia native and Buffalo linebacker) Takeo Spikes, too, just to try to take some pointers from him."
http://www.panthers.com/news/newsroomNewsDetail.jsp?id=24654

Think again

Dan Morgan also offered some unique insight into what lies ahead for Thomas Davis now that Davis, the 2005 first-round draft pick, is settling in at one position, outside linebacker, after shuttling between linebacker and strong safety as a rookie.

Unlike the conventional wisdom (at least of reporters who cover the team and even General Manager Marty Hurney, a former sports writer) that suggests Davis will do better now that he has less to think about, Morgan said that Davis will have more than ever to learn.

"I think, really, there wasn't as much on his mind last year as there is this year. He really was just the joker (a linebacker who moved around) in one of our packages, and they had him concentrate on that last year. This year he's having to play the Sam position and he's having to come in and play dime (on passing downs), too. So there's a lot more he has to learn," Morgan said. "But once he gets it down, Thomas is as fast as they come and as athletic as they come. I think he's going to be a great one."
http://www.journalnow.com/servlet/Satellit...ootball!&s= :(

even if he does start at SLB, at least it looks like he should be in the nickel and dime packages, so that will help.

Hey, I know some do not understand the man love with T. Davis.  I get it but a small request.  Moving forward we need nothing but good mojo and vibes in here for one T. Davis.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Guys...Good mojo...positive thoughts for former player #47. As the Jets management and marketing folks along with C. Martin say, let's keep things positive. It's just mini-camp.

:tinyprayer:

On a serious note...

Rozelle, thanks for the diligence on the matter of T. Davis. You keep coming up with good stuff.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your Welcome! Thanks for the kind words, I appreciate it!

For

Rookie Pick 9

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
At least you would think so :P
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Panthers obviously think so. As we now know, he's the LB in their dime package. :bye:

looks like it has been a couple weeks since last entry in this thread...

this was in this week's usa today team reports on CAR...

"But this year Davis will be counted on to start at strong-side linebacker, a position previously held by Fields in 2002 and 2004 and Brandon Short last season."

this is most definitive word i have seen yet that looks like davis will NOT be the WLB, as was previously assumed/hoped...

Users who are viewing this thread