What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thomas Jones (1 Viewer)

corpcow

Footballguy
News has been pretty quiet on the T.Jones front, and I didn't see any threads dedicated to this either. T.Jones is coming off a career year and even though he's aging he doesn't have too much wear and is in phenomenal shape.

So, do we think he'll actually be with the Jets this year? If not, where could he land? (Trying to see if his value could rise or fall dramatically)

And, is anyone buying? If so, at what price?

Jets RB Thomas Jones showed up for the team's OTA session Wednesday as expected, reports Newsday. After skipping all of the voluntary offseason workouts up until this point, Thomas was back with the team. Jones, who led the AFC in rushing with 1,312 yards last season, is due a base salary of $900,000. He was skipping the voluntary sessions as a way to voice his displeasure with his contract, which he was hoping to get re-worked. But that's not likely considering he's already earned $13 million during the first two years of his four-year deal and is 31.
He's back in camp (OTAs). I think he stays with the team in 2009 and is released after the season.

Thomas is a good #2 rb or a great #3 for any FF team this year. As for next season that is the bigger question. It will depend on where he ends up and who he is in an RBBC with. But he should have some value to your FF team even in 2010.

What is he worth? Depends on your teams needs and are you competeing for the playoffs and superbowl. If so a late rookie 1st or early 2nd round pick and player, or maybe a young upside WR or RB type or combination of both, if you have depth at those spots.

corpcow said:
May 5th, Thomas Jones was involved in a dynasty league trade.RB Jones + WR Driver + 2.14 pick (WR Miles Austin)for3.05 pick (WR Austin Collie) + 2010 1.xx pickOwner getting Jones has Leon Washington and Shonn Green. This was the 4th highest scoring team last year, so the 1.xx pick is expected to be a later one.

corpcow said:
May 5th, Thomas Jones was involved in a dynasty league trade.RB Jones + WR Driver + 2.14 pick (WR Miles Austin)for3.05 pick (WR Austin Collie) + 2010 1.xx pickOwner getting Jones has Leon Washington and Shonn Green. This was the 4th highest scoring team last year, so the 1.xx pick is expected to be a later one.
I hope the team getting TJ and DD is ready to make a run now. _______________Reasons for his slide in value (esp. in dynasty)1. Age - 31 coming off career year.2. Attitude - unhappy w/ contract.3. Competition - Jets paid to move up to get Greene.4. Touches - if he's going to be released next year - I'm sure Greene will be on the field sooner than later. Then you have Leon who's already getting a decent %age of the work - and could get more.5. Oh, and they have HUGE ?s @ QB.6. Coles gone.6b. (unproven) Talent @ WR.7. New staff/system to learn.I don't think it's a stretch to think the Jets will have issues on offense this season. In dynasty mocks I've seen, he's going 12th+, about 7 rounds after Felix Jones. He's probably a 1-2 year option, with very little value left if held - maybe a decent sell high option if he starts and plays well early this year.

corpcow said:
I hope the team getting TJ and DD is ready to make a run now. _______________Reasons for his slide in value (esp. in dynasty)1. Age - 31 coming off career year.2. Attitude - unhappy w/ contract.3. Competition - Jets paid to move up to get Greene.4. Touches - if he's going to be released next year - I'm sure Greene will be on the field sooner than later. Then you have Leon who's already getting a decent %age of the work - and could get more.5. Oh, and they have HUGE ?s @ QB.6. Coles gone.6b. (unproven) Talent @ WR.7. New staff/system to learn.I don't think it's a stretch to think the Jets will have issues on offense this season. In dynasty mocks I've seen, he's going 12th+, about 7 rounds after Felix Jones. He's probably a 1-2 year option, with very little value left if held - maybe a decent sell high option if he starts and plays well early this year.
I'm the team that is Riff is referring to.and yeah the team is ready for a title run this season. I get that the trade is for the short term, but in hind sight the trade allowed me to Shore up the Jet's running game, which I expect to be extremely powerful this season.Get Miles Autin who I believe is a breakout candidateGet Donald Driver, who I flipped for Fred Jackson...thus shoring up my Marshawn Lynch investment.I was 4th (out of 14) in scoring last season. And that was after losing Tom Brady and having to replace him with Derek Anderson and Brady Quinn....and Gus Frerotte. A full season of Tom Brady should have me near the top.I'm also a Jet's fan so I don't necessarily agree that everything you posted is a negative. 1. TJ is 31...but is it the standard 31? He has had only "medium high" usage seasons the last 4 years. In no season has he averaged 20 carries a game. He's never been OVER-Worked, he's a had a good workload but not overdone. Also, his training regimen is off the charts. Because of that he can take more hits than the normal guy and recover better. I think in NFL terms, he's a 27-28 year old running back. Oh, and the Jet's line is getting better and better.2. His attitude is that of a pro if you ask me. He is unhappy with his pay. So am I. But just like me, he has shown up everyday when required. Leon Washington on the other hand is the one trying to use the hammer.3. the Shonn Greene competition. The Jet's did trade up to get Shonn. On the draft's 2nd day. Don't forget that Chicago used a top 5 overall pick on Cedric Benson and what did that do to TJ's value?. I like Shonn and think he will be a great player, but I am not 100% sure.4. The touches. Will he get 300 touches in 2009? Well that depends now doesn't it? Will he even be a Jet in 2009? Maybe he's a Cleveland Jet with Coach Mangenius. Then I would have to say 300 touches are right there. If he stays a Jet, that's okay too. i have faith in the Jet's OC to have the running game humming. And I own them all.5 and 6 - The passing game. This is really the lynchpin of the whole Jet's season. We expect the Jet's defense to be very good with all of the new talent they brought in with Ryan and 1/2 of the Raven defense. The Jet's o-line and running game look to be above average...depending on whether or not the Jet's passing game can keep 10 guys out of the box. Is this really any different a scenario than Minnesota? Not really. Sanchez will be a game manager this season and I expect him to get the majority of the snaps, but Clemens isn't really horrible if he's the starter. He has skills and a fairly strong arm. The pass catchers include Dustin Keller, who will cause all kind of matchup problems. He's good. Also Jerricho Cotchery is damn good. That leaves really only one consistent WR lacking. Maybe TJ gets traded for Braylon. Maybe Plax comes on board. Even if either of those do not happen, there is still Stuckey and Clowney. Just because neither of them haven't really shown much, they may not be bad. Both have shown flashes. This is the key of the Jet's entire season. As long as the passing game does not completely suck, the Jet's will move the ball...at will.7. There is a new head coach, but not a new staff/system on offense. The OC, Brian Schottenheimer stayed. His offense was shackled last season by having a HOF QB, set in his ways, thrown at him at the last second. With a full pre-season, this offense is going to be down cold. Sanchez reportedly is a quick learner and has impressed coaches with that ability to grasp the playbook.All in all, I see a lot of positives in the Jet's this season. Of course, I'm a homer. But the signs are there for them to be a very good NFL team.

For what it's worth, I just bought TJ in my primary dynasty league for two 2011 3rd rounders. That said, he's on a pretty bad contract (5.7m/1yr), so he's pretty much a one-and-done for whatever team he's on and I had the cap space to assume the contract this year (the team who was selling was a little tight). I'm guessing the price would be a little more if it was a league where his contract was more reasonable or there was no "cost" to carrying him other than the roster spot.

I have a very, very young team, and I just sold K.Smith, so I made this trade because it gives me a little insurance in case Beanie Wells/Donald Brown don't produce this year.

My team after the trade, for some context.

QB: Ryan, Russell, Moore

RB: CJ3, T.Jones, Wells, Brown, Bernie Scott

WR: Driver, Avery, Holmes, Floyd, Stevie Johnson, Dustin Keller, Sidney Rice, Maclin, Mike Thomas, McKinley

PK: Longwell

DL: Tuck, Allen, Avril, L.Jackson

LB: James Harrison, Lofton, Timmons, Crowder, Burnett, Barton

DB: Bell, Hope, Polamalu, W.Moore

Users who are viewing this thread