What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Thoughts on a couple of Padres (1 Viewer)

canuckchieffan

Footballguy
Both players were left undrafted in my keeper league draft. We are only able to keep six players from year to year so even if I were to pick them up, it's highly unlikely that I'd keep either next year.

I'm wondering what you all think about their potential for this season.

With my last two picks in the draft I went with Chris Young SP SD and Conor Jackson OF ARI... but I'm wondering if I'd be better off with one or both of the kids. What do you think?

The one year window makes it a tougher call. I think Latos offers more risk/reward than Chris R. Young if you have a deep enough bench to hide him if he's not in the rotation. He'll probably have an IP cap too. Young hasn't been any good since 2007. Either guy is probably only worth starting at Petco.

Most people will disagree but I'd go with Jackson for a one year shot. Jackson is batting at the top of the Arizona lineup and should be at least average in all categories. Blanks has a lot of power and may hit 30 HRs some year, but it's almost certainly not this year. Until then, he's a 1 or 2 category player

I personally think Latos is more interesting as a late round flier than Young, but I think you were right to zero in on Jackson over Blanks. Jackson's health has been an impediment, but he's got a clear, multi-tool skill set. Blanks is intriguing as a power source, but he's such a big guy that I worry he's going to have bouts of massive struggle making contact.

Blanks is intriguing as a power source, but he's such a big guy that I worry he's going to have bouts of massive struggle making contact.
Career .300 hitter in the minorsHR every ~15 ABs in 20093 triples this spring3 SB this springNot saying you are wrong, but the points above show this guy can get it done in more than a couple categories. Especially hitting behind Gonzalez.

I'd try to find a way to have Blanks and Jackson on your roster. I love both players, for this year and for long-term purposes.

One thing about Blanks. Since you can only keep 6, you must go with upside. You never want to get in a situation of having to choose between "pretty good" players as keepers. There will always be plenty solid guys, productive to draft.

Would Blanks be one of your top 6 going into next season? Probably not, but it's possible. His upside is incredible and it's worth the shot that he'll hit huge this year (and worth the shot to make sure he's not on an opponents roster when his Prince Fielder-like potential starts to blossom).

I love CoJack too. Nobody seems to give him a pass on that awful illness he had last year, but he is a 27 year old that, not long ago, looked to be developing into a real stud.

I would certainly not roster Chris Young. If Blanks is available in your league, there must be 50 SP on the wire that are comparable to Young.

I love CoJack too. Nobody seems to give him a pass on that awful illness he had last year, but he is a 27 year old that, not long ago, looked to be developing into a real stud.
He has never shown anything that should give anyone an idea that he was going to be a stud.He hits for a nice average, and gets on base. But he has no power, and doesnt steal any bases. He is a ice guy to have on a real life baseball team, not so much on a fantasy team.I would much prefer Blanks over Jackson.

He has never shown anything that should give anyone an idea that he was going to be a stud.He hits for a nice average, and gets on base. But he has no power, and doesnt steal any bases. He is a ice guy to have on a real life baseball team, not so much on a fantasy team.

I would much prefer Blanks over Jackson.
I agree. I drafted both last night and took Blanks 9 rounds before Jackson (though I did reach a bit for Blanks, but I don't care). Maybe I used the words "stud" too liberally there, but I think Jackson can really help a fantasy team too. Maybe he'll never hit 30 HRs, but 20 is certainly reasonable. The last time we saw him in action, he was 25. He could develop a bit more power as he physically matures. If he's a 20 HR guy, he can help. He'll drive in some runs, steal some bases (he's stolen 10 before and stole 5 in only 99 AB last year), while also helping your average. That's certainly very useful.

Users who are viewing this thread